|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is playing music to advertise the opening of the confectionery?
2. What does Lady plan to continue with in Act 3 Scene 3?
3. Who does Lady say is coming to Val in Act 3 Scene 1?
4. What is the picture Val says is in the alcove?
5. How old was Val when he met a girl on the bayou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Music in Orpheus Descending. What role does Music and Art play in the themes of this play? Who represents music and art?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of revenge as it applies to Orpheus Descending. Which characters want to enact revenge? Why? How? How is this symbolized in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Williams wrote in his introduction to the play that Orpheus Descending is about "unanswered questions that haunt the hearts of people." Some of the characters simply accept prescribed answers, but not the four main characters -- Val, Lady, Carol, and Vee. They continue to ask questions. What might those questions be, and what answers, if any, do these characters find?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)