|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady refuse to give her word to the Town Women about?
2. What does Val say is the "make-believe" answer?
3. How many lives does Lady say was lost in the orchard fire?
4. What did Lady call about at 5pm in Act 3 Scene 3?
5. What does Carol wear when she enters in Act 3 Scene 3?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Val and explain what characteristics he has which make him a classical Tragic Hero. Define Tragic Hero in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orpheus Descending is in part about the place of the artist in society. What role should the artist play? Is the artist always likely to be marginalized, like Val, or misunderstood, like Vee, in a conventional, materialistic society? For what should the artist stand, if anything?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)