|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lives does Lady say was lost in the orchard fire?
2. Where does the Sheriff send Dog and Pee Wee in Act 3?
3. How old was Val when he met a girl on the bayou?
4. Who says, "No monkey business here, boy!"?
5. Who says, "Nobody ever gets to know no body! We're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of individuality versus repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are considered non-conventional? Which characters represent a conventional or repressed viewpoint?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Rebirth in Orpheus Descending. What symbols represent this theme? What motifs exemplify it? What imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of Christian imagery and symbolism in the play. What do Val's visions relate to the reader about the action of the play? How does the Christ figure relate to Val?
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)