|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lady's father's monkey wear?
2. What does Vee say when she enters in Act 2 Scene 2?
3. What does Vee say she was born with?
4. Where is Lady at the beginning of Act 3 Scene 3?
5. What does Val say is the "make-believe" answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the ending of Orpheus Descending reflects the exposition presented in the prologue? How is Val's death like that of Lady's father?
Essay Topic 2
Orpheus Descending is in part about the place of the artist in society. What role should the artist play? Is the artist always likely to be marginalized, like Val, or misunderstood, like Vee, in a conventional, materialistic society? For what should the artist stand, if anything?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Orpheus Descending retells the legend of the demigod Orpheus. What similarities do the stories share? How do they differ?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)