|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carol wear when she enters in Act 3 Scene 3?
2. Who says, "I know! Death's knocking for me! Don't you think I hear him, knock, knock, knock"?
3. Who says, "You've got to have--vision--to see!"?
4. What drug does Lady give to Jabe in Act 2?
5. Who says, "Nobody ever gets to know no body! We're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orpheus Descending is in part about the place of the artist in society. What role should the artist play? Is the artist always likely to be marginalized, like Val, or misunderstood, like Vee, in a conventional, materialistic society? For what should the artist stand, if anything?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of Christian imagery and symbolism in the play. What do Val's visions relate to the reader about the action of the play? How does the Christ figure relate to Val?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of sexuality and sexual repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are repressed? Which are not? How does Val's presence affect the town?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)