|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady say about the dogs barking in Act 2 Scene 3?
2. Where does Carol say she was the night before in Act 2?
3. What does Lady grab when Val tries to leave?
4. Where does the Sheriff send Dog and Pee Wee in Act 3?
5. What does Lady tell David that she "never told him before"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of individuality versus repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are considered non-conventional? Which characters represent a conventional or repressed viewpoint?
Essay Topic 2
Williams wrote in his introduction to the play that Orpheus Descending is about "unanswered questions that haunt the hearts of people." Some of the characters simply accept prescribed answers, but not the four main characters -- Val, Lady, Carol, and Vee. They continue to ask questions. What might those questions be, and what answers, if any, do these characters find?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the imagery that Lady uses to define herself. How does the monkey relate to Lady? How does the fig tree?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)