|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady plan to continue with in Act 3 Scene 3?
2. What is Carol doing outside the Red Crown station in Act 2?
3. What does Val tell Lady he's planning on doing in Act 3 Scene 3?
4. What does Vee say that Lady and Jabe have never darkened?
5. How is the woman who complained about Val described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
Essay Topic 2
Orpheus Descending is in part about the place of the artist in society. What role should the artist play? Is the artist always likely to be marginalized, like Val, or misunderstood, like Vee, in a conventional, materialistic society? For what should the artist stand, if anything?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the Conjure Man in Orpheus Descending. What does he represent? Why is the the last person we see in this play?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)