|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady grab when Val goes to change out of his work suit?
2. Where is Lady at the beginning of Act 3 Scene 3?
3. How does Val say he used to think people got to know each other?
4. What did Lady's aunt tell her it felt like to die?
5. Where does Val tell Lady that he stays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Music in Orpheus Descending. What role does Music and Art play in the themes of this play? Who represents music and art?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Val and explain what characteristics he has which make him a classical Tragic Hero. Define Tragic Hero in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Orpheus Descending is in part about the place of the artist in society. What role should the artist play? Is the artist always likely to be marginalized, like Val, or misunderstood, like Vee, in a conventional, materialistic society? For what should the artist stand, if anything?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)