|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the play set?
2. Where does Carol say you go after jooking on a clear night?
3. What does Carol tell Val she's not allowed to do?
4. What does Carol remove from her trench coat pocket in Act 1 Scene 1?
5. What does Carol pass to Val after he sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lady's father come to America with?
2. Describe Jabe's appearance upon returning from the hospital.
3. How does Carol describe herself to Val?
4. Describe the character of Carol. What does she wear? How old is she?
5. What does Lady compare her body to in Act 3 Scene 3 when talking to Val?
6. Who is present at the beginning of Act 3 Scene 3? What are they discussing?
7. Describe the birds that Val tells Lady about. What is remarkable about them?
8. What are some of the "oddities" Val tells Lady about himself?
9. Who is Vee? How has she met Val?
10. What does Carol say you do after "jooking?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Orpheus Descending retells the legend of the demigod Orpheus. What similarities do the stories share? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Val and explain what characteristics he has which make him a classical Tragic Hero. Define Tragic Hero in your answer.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)