|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carol wear to protest the death penalty of Willie McGee?
2. What is the name of the county in which the play is set?
3. What is written on Val's guitar?
4. What is the pharmacist's name?
5. What song does Val play in Act 1 Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jabe remark that takes Lady by surprise in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Who is Vee? How has she met Val?
3. How do the stage directions describe Val? What is he wearing?
4. Why does Lady call the pharmacist in Act 1 Scene 2?
5. Describe the set of Orpheus Descending.
6. What did Carol do that got her banned from the county overnight?
7. Why does Val say that Jim Crow killed Bessie Smith?
8. What does Val say about questions and waiting for answers in Act 2?
9. Why did the woman call to complain about Val? What really happened?
10. What did Lady's father do after Prohibition took hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the Conjure Man in Orpheus Descending. What does he represent? Why is the the last person we see in this play?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tennessee Williams' own life reflected in Orpheus Descending? What major themes are common in Williams' work and why does he repeat these themes? How do they relate to the author's experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the imagery that Lady uses to define herself. How does the monkey relate to Lady? How does the fig tree?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)