|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lady redecorating the confectionery to look like?
2. Where does Beulah say that the ice box is located?
3. What is peculiar about the birds that Val tells Lady about?
4. What does Lady say that the store can never hold?
5. Where does Carol say you go after jooking on a night that's not clear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Beulah tell about Lady's father?
2. Describe the set of Orpheus Descending.
3. What does Jabe remark that takes Lady by surprise in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What does Val ask Lady after the Nurse leaves? What does she respond?
5. What does Jabe say after Lady is shot? What does he do?
6. What does Carol describe "jooking" as?
7. What happens at the end of Act 2 Scene 3 with Val and the cash box? How does Lady react?
8. What does Lady say to Val about opening the confectionery in Act 3 Scene 3?
9. In what time and place is Orpheus Descending set?
10. Describe the character of Uncle Pleasant. What does he look like? What does he say when he enters in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the Conjure Man in Orpheus Descending. What does he represent? Why is the the last person we see in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Orpheus Descending is in part about the place of the artist in society. What role should the artist play? Is the artist always likely to be marginalized, like Val, or misunderstood, like Vee, in a conventional, materialistic society? For what should the artist stand, if anything?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)