|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vee say she's been doing for ten hours straight in Act 1 Scene 1?
2. What does Dolly compare Lady and Jabe's bedrooms to?
3. What is the pharmacist's name?
4. Why hadn't Val read the character reference before?
5. What does Carol tell the pharmacist to bring over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Val and Sheriff Talbott in Act 3, Scene 2 when he enters to find Val and Vee together.
2. What does Carol describe "jooking" as?
3. What happens when the Conjure Man appears in the beginning of Act 3 Scene 3?
4. How and why did Val end up in town?
5. What does Lady tell David in Act 2? How does he react?
6. What does Carol try to convince Val to help her with? Why?
7. Why does Val say that Jim Crow killed Bessie Smith?
8. What conversation occurs between Beulah and Lady in Act 3 Scene 3?
9. How does Carol describe herself to Val?
10. What does Val say about questions and waiting for answers in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Rebirth in Orpheus Descending. What symbols represent this theme? What motifs exemplify it? What imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of individuality versus repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are considered non-conventional? Which characters represent a conventional or repressed viewpoint?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Music in Orpheus Descending. What role does Music and Art play in the themes of this play? Who represents music and art?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)