|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carol say you go after jooking on a clear night?
2. Who does Carol say that Val told her he'd gotten the ring from?
3. What was "the mistake" Lady's father made that caused the vineyard to be burned?
4. What does Val say his body temperature is the same as?
5. What song does Val play in Act 1 Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has signed Val's guitar?
2. Why have the women come to the store in the beginning of the play?
3. What does Jabe say after Lady is shot? What does he do?
4. Why does Val say that Jim Crow killed Bessie Smith?
5. Describe the character of Carol. What does she wear? How old is she?
6. Explain Vee's feelings about painting.
7. What does Val ask Lady after the Nurse leaves? What does she respond?
8. Why does Lady feel disappointed in Val in Act 2 Scene 3? Why does he feel disappointed in her?
9. What did Lady's father come to America with?
10. How is Lady shot? Who shoots her?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the imagery that Lady uses to define herself. How does the monkey relate to Lady? How does the fig tree?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Lady and Jabe. What do each of these characters represent symbolically? How are they alike? How are they different.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)