|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the county in which the play is set?
2. What does Dolly compare Lady and Jabe's bedrooms to?
3. What does Vee say she's been doing for ten hours straight in Act 1 Scene 1?
4. How much time has passed between Act 1, Scene 1 and Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Carol pass to Val after he sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the "oddities" Val tells Lady about himself?
2. What have the Town Women gone upstairs in Lady and Jabe's house for? What do they remark about it?
3. What does Val ask Lady after the Nurse leaves? What does she respond?
4. What does Lady ask Val in Act 2 Scene 4 about the money? What does he respond?
5. Where has Carol met Val before? Describe that encounter.
6. Why does Val say that Jim Crow killed Bessie Smith?
7. Who does Carol make a phone call to in Act 1 Scene 1? Why?
8. How do the stage directions describe Val? What is he wearing?
9. Describe the character of Carol. What does she wear? How old is she?
10. Who is present at the beginning of Act 3 Scene 3? What are they discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of Christian imagery and symbolism in the play. What do Val's visions relate to the reader about the action of the play? How does the Christ figure relate to Val?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the imagery that Lady uses to define herself. How does the monkey relate to Lady? How does the fig tree?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lady's relationship with David. What happened and when did this take place? How does Lady feel about David now?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)