|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is gilded on the window of the set?
2. How old does Carol say she is?
3. What does Lady say they've always had a problem with in the store?
4. Which character enters from upstairs in Act 1 Scene 1?
5. Where was Lady's father from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Town Women remark about Jabe to his face? What do they say behind his back?
2. What conversation occurs between Beulah and Lady in Act 3 Scene 3?
3. What does the Nurse accuse Lady of before leaving?
4. What does Lady ask Val in Act 2 Scene 4 about the money? What does he respond?
5. What does Lady say to Val about opening the confectionery in Act 3 Scene 3?
6. What story does Beulah tell about Lady's father?
7. Why does Lady call the pharmacist in Act 1 Scene 2?
8. What did Lady's father do after Prohibition took hold?
9. Where do Val and Lady go in the end of Act 2? What does this imply?
10. What is Val's memory of the woman he saw on the bayou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Beulah and Carol. How are they similar? How do they differ? How do these characters feel about each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Lady and Jabe. What do each of these characters represent symbolically? How are they alike? How are they different.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Orpheus Descending retells the legend of the demigod Orpheus. What similarities do the stories share? How do they differ?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)