|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the drapery over the entrance to the alcove?
2. How many places in New Orleans does Carol say she followed Val?
3. What does Vee say she's been doing for ten hours straight in Act 1 Scene 1?
4. What is the pharmacist's name?
5. What does Jabe do to summon Lady upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Nurse accuse Lady of before leaving?
2. Explain Vee's feelings about painting.
3. Where has Carol met Val before? Describe that encounter.
4. What story does Beulah tell about Lady's father?
5. Describe the set of Orpheus Descending.
6. What is Val's memory of the woman he saw on the bayou?
7. What are some of the "oddities" Val tells Lady about himself?
8. What does Carol try to convince Val to help her with? Why?
9. Who is Vee? How has she met Val?
10. How is Lady shot? Who shoots her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the component of racism in Orpheus Descending. How does it play a role in the action of the play? How does the element of race lend in defining certain characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the story of the birds told to Lady by Val in the play. What does this story symbolize? What foreshadowing is within this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)