|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carol say you go after jooking on a clear night?
2. What do the Town Women say to Jabe when he arrives?
3. What did Carol wear to protest the death penalty of Willie McGee?
4. What does Carol remove from her trench coat pocket in Act 1 Scene 1?
5. What does Val say he needs to fix his buckle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Beulah tell about Lady's father?
2. What conversation does Lady have with the Nurse about Jabe's illness in Act 3 Scene 3?
3. What does Jabe say after Lady is shot? What does he do?
4. How do the stage directions describe Val? What is he wearing?
5. Describe Jabe's appearance upon returning from the hospital.
6. What happens at the end of Act 2 Scene 3 with Val and the cash box? How does Lady react?
7. Why have the women come to the store in the beginning of the play?
8. Why does Lady feel disappointed in Val in Act 2 Scene 3? Why does he feel disappointed in her?
9. What does Lady offer Val to save him money in Act 2?
10. How does Val regard his guitar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story of the birds told to Lady by Val in the play. What does this story symbolize? What foreshadowing is within this story?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of sexuality and sexual repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are repressed? Which are not? How does Val's presence affect the town?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of revenge as it applies to Orpheus Descending. Which characters want to enact revenge? Why? How? How is this symbolized in the play?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)