|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Val carrying when he enters in Act 1 Scene 1?
2. What does Carol ask Val to take a look at?
3. Who does Beulah say Lady's heart was broken by?
4. What do the Town Women say to Jabe when he arrives?
5. What does Beulah say that a couple who doesn't love each other develops a passion for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Val ask Lady after the Nurse leaves? What does she respond?
2. What does Carol say you do after "jooking?"
3. Describe the birds that Val tells Lady about. What is remarkable about them?
4. What does Lady say to Val about opening the confectionery in Act 3 Scene 3?
5. Why does Lady call the pharmacist in Act 1 Scene 2?
6. Describe the character of Uncle Pleasant. What does he look like? What does he say when he enters in Act 1?
7. What did Lady's father do after Prohibition took hold?
8. What conversation occurs between Beulah and Lady in Act 3 Scene 3?
9. What does Carol try to convince Val to help her with? Why?
10. What do the Town Women remark about Jabe to his face? What do they say behind his back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the Conjure Man in Orpheus Descending. What does he represent? Why is the the last person we see in this play?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tennessee Williams' own life reflected in Orpheus Descending? What major themes are common in Williams' work and why does he repeat these themes? How do they relate to the author's experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lady's relationship with David. What happened and when did this take place? How does Lady feel about David now?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)