Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Val do whenever paper money was dropped in the kitty?
2. Who does Beulah say burned down the wine garden?
3. What does Jabe do to summon Lady upstairs?
4. What did Lady's father do after Prohibition set in?
5. What song does Val play in Act 1 Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lady feel disappointed in Val in Act 2 Scene 3? Why does he feel disappointed in her?
2. What does Carol try to convince Val to help her with? Why?
3. What does Lady compare her body to in Act 3 Scene 3 when talking to Val?
4. Describe Jabe's appearance upon returning from the hospital.
5. What happens when the Conjure Man appears in the beginning of Act 3 Scene 3?
6. What does the Nurse accuse Lady of before leaving?
7. In what time and place is Orpheus Descending set?
8. Who does Carol make a phone call to in Act 1 Scene 1? Why?
9. What does Lady tell David in Act 2? How does he react?
10. Explain Vee's feelings about painting.
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
Discuss the theme of individuality versus repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are considered non-conventional? Which characters represent a conventional or repressed viewpoint?
Describe Lady's relationship with David. What happened and when did this take place? How does Lady feel about David now?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)