|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carol pass to Val after he sings?
2. What does Jabe do to summon Lady upstairs?
3. What does Val say he needs to fix his buckle?
4. What did Val do whenever paper money was dropped in the kitty?
5. Whose family name is the oldest and most distinguished in the county?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Val end up in town?
2. What is Val's memory of the woman he saw on the bayou?
3. Describe the interaction between Val and Sheriff Talbott in Act 3, Scene 2 when he enters to find Val and Vee together.
4. What conversation occurs between Beulah and Lady in Act 3 Scene 3?
5. Where has Carol met Val before? Describe that encounter.
6. Describe the character of Lady. How old is she? Who is she married to?
7. What does Lady tell David in Act 2? How does he react?
8. What happens at the end of Act 2 Scene 3 with Val and the cash box? How does Lady react?
9. What does Lady compare her body to in Act 3 Scene 3 when talking to Val?
10. What are some of the "oddities" Val tells Lady about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the component of racism in Orpheus Descending. How does it play a role in the action of the play? How does the element of race lend in defining certain characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Beulah and Carol. How are they similar? How do they differ? How do these characters feel about each other?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of sexuality and sexual repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are repressed? Which are not? How does Val's presence affect the town?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)