|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sheriff Talbott married to?
2. Who says, "What on earth can you do on this earth but catch whatever comes near you, with both your hands, until your fingers are broken"?
3. What did couples do at the wine garden "back in the day"?
4. What does Carol pass to Val after he sings?
5. What does Jabe do to summon Lady upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carol describe "jooking" as?
2. How does Carol describe herself to Val?
3. Describe the interaction between Val and Sheriff Talbott in Act 3, Scene 2 when he enters to find Val and Vee together.
4. How does Lady hear that Val is leaving town? What is her response?
5. Describe the character of Lady. How old is she? Who is she married to?
6. What does Lady say to Val about opening the confectionery in Act 3 Scene 3?
7. What does Carol try to convince Val to help her with? Why?
8. Why did the woman call to complain about Val? What really happened?
9. Why does Lady enter panicked at the beginning of Act 3?
10. Where do Val and Lady go in the end of Act 2? What does this imply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Rebirth in Orpheus Descending. What symbols represent this theme? What motifs exemplify it? What imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the story of the birds told to Lady by Val in the play. What does this story symbolize? What foreshadowing is within this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the ending of Orpheus Descending reflects the exposition presented in the prologue? How is Val's death like that of Lady's father?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)