|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jabe have surgery?
2. What do the Town Women say to Jabe when he arrives?
3. What did couples do at the wine garden "back in the day"?
4. What does Dolly say about Jabe's appearance after he goes upstairs?
5. What did Val do whenever paper money was dropped in the kitty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady offer Val to save him money in Act 2?
2. How does Carol describe herself to Val?
3. What does Lady tell David in Act 2? How does he react?
4. What did Lady's father come to America with?
5. Describe the character of Lady. How old is she? Who is she married to?
6. What conversation does Lady have with the Nurse about Jabe's illness in Act 3 Scene 3?
7. Explain Vee's feelings about painting.
8. What did Lady's father do after Prohibition took hold?
9. How does Val regard his guitar?
10. What does Jabe say after Lady is shot? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of revenge as it applies to Orpheus Descending. Which characters want to enact revenge? Why? How? How is this symbolized in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of snake and reptile imagery in the play. What does Carol's last line mean? Paraphrase this line in your answer and describe how it relates to Val.
Essay Topic 3
How is Tennessee Williams' own life reflected in Orpheus Descending? What major themes are common in Williams' work and why does he repeat these themes? How do they relate to the author's experiences?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)