|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carol say you go after jooking on a clear night?
2. Who does Beulah say burned down the wine garden?
3. Who would Lady slip off with in the wine garden?
4. Who does Val say killed Jessie Smith?
5. Why is Val in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lady's father come to America with?
2. What does Jabe remark that takes Lady by surprise in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Describe the birds that Val tells Lady about. What is remarkable about them?
4. What does the Nurse accuse Lady of before leaving?
5. How does Val regard his guitar?
6. What conversation occurs between Beulah and Lady in Act 3 Scene 3?
7. What does Lady offer Val to save him money in Act 2?
8. Describe the interaction between Val and Sheriff Talbott in Act 3, Scene 2 when he enters to find Val and Vee together.
9. What sounds indicate that Val is murdered? How?
10. What does Lady ask Val in Act 2 Scene 4 about the money? What does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story of the birds told to Lady by Val in the play. What does this story symbolize? What foreshadowing is within this story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Val and explain what characteristics he has which make him a classical Tragic Hero. Define Tragic Hero in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of sexuality and sexual repression in Orpheus Descending. Which characters are repressed? Which are not? How does Val's presence affect the town?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)