|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of establishments does Orlando visit in London when she begins dressing oddly?
2. How many years does Orlando claim to have been working on her poem in Chapter 5?
3. What changes that signals to Shelmerdine that it is time to go back to sea?
4. What takes control of Orlando's hand when she is trying to write her poem?
5. How does Orlando describe Nick Greene in comparison to his looks in the 17th century in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orlando react after thinking about all her past lives at the end of the book?
2. How is Orlando's meeting with a prostitute named Nell described?
3. What happens when Orlando accidentally shows a bit of ankle on deck of the merchant ship to England?
4. What is the nature of the note Orlando finds at Blackfriars when she first returns there as a woman?
5. Why does Orlando choose Mr. Pope to be her suitor?
6. How does the archduke save Orlando from a crowd of commoners who remember her as a man?
7. How do Orlando's servants at her country estate treat her when she arrives there for the first time as a woman?
8. What does Orlando do after she finishes her poem "The Oak Tree"?
9. How does Orlando's writing change after she realizes that being married has helped her writing become freer?
10. How does Orlando meet Shelmerdine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of cross-dressing in the book. What might the author be saying about the ambiguity of gender based on the prevalence of cross-dressers shown in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The act of writing is something that experiences a full evolution from the beginning of the book to the end.
Part 1.) How does Orlando's writing evolve over the course of the book, and what motivates this evolution?
Part 2.) What is telling about the nature of Orlando's writing based on how it changes after she is married?
Part 3.) How does the author use writing as a medium to symbolize the answer for finding the perfect balance in life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of clouds in the book. How might the clouds shown in the book represent the suffocation Orlando feels in his surroundings in England?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)