|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does the archduke give Orlando after saving her from a group of tormenting commoners?
2. What is Orlando unable to rejoin because she spent so much money going through court?
3. What does Orlando claim being with Shelmerdine has made her feel like more than ever?
4. What increases Orlando and Shemverdine's love for one another after they begin courting?
5. What is Shelmerdine's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Orlando accidentally shows a bit of ankle on deck of the merchant ship to England?
2. What is the nature of Orlando's conversation with the archduchess when Orlando invites her inside in Chapter 4?
3. What do Orlando and Shelmerdine reveal to one another when they each suggest there is something different about the other after they begin courting?
4. Why can't Orlando rejoin high society after gaining her possessions back as a woman?
5. How does Nicolas Greene react after reading Orlando's poem in Chapter 6?
6. How is Orlando's meeting with a prostitute named Nell described?
7. How is Orlando's attempt at working on her poem described at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. How does Orlando meet Shelmerdine?
9. How is the force that takes over Orlando's hand while she is writing described at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How does Orlando react after thinking about all her past lives at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the narrator in the book. What tone is the narrator trying to set in the book, and what reasons can be given for this?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of love in the book. What did love seem to represent to Orlando in the book, and what means did she go through to find true love and companionship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of escape present in the book. What reasons does Orlando have for continually seeking escape from others in the book, and what is telling of his character based on this reaction?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)