|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orlando NOT feel toward Nick Greene but is still happy by his enthusiasm for her work?
2. What does Nick Greene tell Orlando that poets in the 19th century only work for?
3. What era is Nick Greene one of the foremost critics for?
4. What do Shelmerdine and Orlando decide they want to do just after meeting for the first time?
5. What does Orlando feel for the first time in an age she doesn't belong in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Orlando and Shelmerdine's wedding described?
2. How is Orlando's walk in the park described in Chapter 5?
3. How is Orlando's life described once King Edward takes the throne?
4. Why can't Orlando rejoin high society after gaining her possessions back as a woman?
5. How does Shelmerdine entertain Orlando when they first begin courting?
6. How does Orlando react after she realizes everyone around her is wearing a wedding ring in Chapter 5?
7. How do Orlando's servants at her country estate treat her when she arrives there for the first time as a woman?
8. How does Orlando's writing change after she realizes that being married has helped her writing become freer?
9. What does Orlando do when she begins dressing up like a man regularly?
10. What good news does Orlando receive near the end of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of solitude is one presented early in the book and follows Orlando throughout all stages of life.
Part 1.) What role might Orlando's inability to feel comfortable in social situations have on his need for solitude?
Part 2.) What is telling of Orlando's nature and ability to cope with issues of life based on his search for solitude in the book?
Part 3.) What is responsible for Orlando's escape from solitude, and what is significant about this?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of cross-dressing in the book. What might the author be saying about the ambiguity of gender based on the prevalence of cross-dressers shown in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of time period in the book. What role did time period play in Orlando's personal journey through the book, and what impact did it have on how her life played out?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)