|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many courses does Orlando often eat at lunch after any hard work in Turkey?
2. What does Queen Elizabeth find Orlando to be the picture of when she begins fancying him?
3. What hobby does Orlando take up in Chapter 2 while in seclusion?
4. Why do the gypsies accept Orlando as one of their own when she goes to live with them?
5. What does Queen Elizabeth see Orlando doing in a mirror that causes their relationship to turn sour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishment does the king give to Orlando after he ends his fling with Sasha?
2. How are Orlando's good looks that his family passed down to him described?
3. How is Orlando's work ethic as ambassador in Constantinople described?
4. How is the atmosphere at Orlando's estate described during his banquet celebrating his dukedom?
5. What does Nicolas Greene do with the copy of Orlando's work given to him as he left Orlando's estate?
6. Why does Orlando lose interest in Favilla?
7. What does Orlando witness Sasha doing when he goes looking for her aboard her ship after she is gone over an hour?
8. What happens in Turkey on the seventh day of Orlando's sleep in Chapter 3?
9. How does Orlando react to Nicolas Greene's satirical piece about him?
10. What occurs after Orlando begins refurbishing his country estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of time period in the book. What role did time period play in Orlando's personal journey through the book, and what impact did it have on how her life played out?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage is one fully examined by Orlando in the book and is telling of the author's own feelings toward the act.
Part 1.) What about the way marriage is presented to Orlando suggests that she sees marriage as something forced on her rather than something she would choose?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of marriage based on her portrayal of Orlando after she meets Shelmerdine?
Part 3.) What is the author saying about the importance of finding a dual-minded partner to have a successful marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Orlando's portrayal as a man and a woman in the book. Which gender appears to make Orlando happy and whole, and what is significant about this?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)