|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nick Greene feel about Orlando's poem "The Oak Tree" when he reads it in the 19th century?
(a) He thinks it has promise.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He loves it.
(d) He is indifferent.
2. Which of the following characteristics is NOT given to Mr. Pope in the book?
3. What does Shelmerdine reveal to Orlando that he used to be?
(a) A woman.
(b) A child.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A slave.
4. What does Orlando buy just before setting sail to England for the first time as a woman?
(a) Women's clothes.
(c) Hair pins.
(d) A dog.
5. Who does Orlando notice walking around the grounds of her country estate in Chapter 4?
(a) Lady O'Brien.
(c) The archduchess.
6. What is the name of the man Orlando meets at a party who says several witty lines in a row?
(a) Mr. Pope.
(b) John Briggs.
(c) Mr. Dupper.
(d) Nick Greene.
7. Whose ring is Orlando wearing in Chapter 5?
(a) King Charles'.
(b) Queen Elizabeth's.
(d) Nick Greene's.
8. What do Orlando and the prostitute share stories about when Orlando picks her up?
(a) Their life histories.
(b) Their children.
(c) Their parents.
(d) Their love life.
9. Where does Orlando go after the archduke leaves her?
(d) New York.
10. What does Shelmerdine ask Orlando if she used to be after they begin courting?
(a) A man.
(b) In love with him.
(c) A child.
11. How does Orlando begin dressing in Chapter 4?
(a) As a man.
(b) As a servant.
(c) As a prostitute.
(d) As a child.
12. What does Orlando believe will be impossible if she doesn't get married?
(a) To make anything of herself.
(b) To have a job.
(c) To have children.
(d) To continue living.
13. What does Orlando realize the great poets she meets through Mr. Pope are despite their talent?
14. What does Orlando and the archduke bet to see if a fly will land on?
(a) A cup.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A sugar cube.
(d) A bowl of milk.
15. Who does Orlando begin spending all her time with in Chapter 5?
(a) Her dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orlando begin thinking about on her way home near the end of the book?
2. What century does Orlando realize it has become at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What does Orlando NOT feel toward Nick Greene but is still happy by his enthusiasm for her work?
4. What year does the author say it is after King Edward takes the throne?
5. What does the captain of the ship give to Orlando that makes her become emotional?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)