|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
2. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city?
3. Who knew about Jean and Melanie and tried to help them?
4. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
5. What does Jean compare history to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
2. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
3. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
4. What is the nature of stories and history and how does she describe them?
5. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
6. What happens when Jean returns home for a visit?
7. How was Katy and Jean's relationship discovered by the members of the church?
8. According to the chapter Deuteronomy what are some ways that people change or deny the past?
9. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
10. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The five fundamental components of fiction were introduced and discussed in a lecture.
Part 1. What are the five fundamental components?
Part 2. Give a description of each of the components and an example or two of how they might affect a story.
Part 3. Discuss the five fundamental components in ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT. What techniques does the author use? How effectively does she use them?
Essay Topic 2
By far the most cited popular reference in the novel is William Blake.
Part 1. Who is William Blake?
Part 2. Write a short biography of the life and works of William Blake.
Part 3. How is William Blake significant in the novel? Why is he cited as often as he is?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)