|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winnet's punishment from the sorcerer?
2. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
3. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
4. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
5. What does Jean say was a big problem looking at history after the second world war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
2. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
3. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
4. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
5. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
6. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
7. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
8. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
9. What does Jean tell the pastor and elders of her church when they return after locking her up? Is she sincere?
10. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
Essay Topic 3
Jean's first theological disagreement with her church was on the definition of perfection.
Part 1. How did the pastor at Jean's church define perfection? According to him, is it achievable? How and when?
Part 2. Jean expresses her own views on the definition through a story. Summarize the story she tells and explain how it portrays Jean's views on perfection. What are Jean's views on perfection?
Part 3. Which side of this discussion do you agree with? Give reasons and examples to support your position.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)