|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
2. What matters when looking at the past?
3. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
4. What instructions does the pastor give Jean after she refuses to repent?
5. What is the first thing that happens in the chapter titled Judges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
2. What is it like for Winnet living in the village? Why does she decide she has to leave?
3. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
4. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
5. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
6. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
7. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
8. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
9. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
10. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
None of the references to famous people, stories, or other things are in the novel by accident. The author brings them up specifically for their relevance to some aspect of her story. Choose one of the many popular or Biblical references in the novel to explain.
Part 1. What reference is made? When in the story is it made?
Part 2. Describe the reference thoroughly, making sure to include the parts that relate to ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT.
Part 3. How does this reference relate back to Jean's story? What relevance does it have? What insight or depth does it bring with it that was missing?
Essay Topic 2
At one point Jean describes her mother as "Old Testament." What do we mean by that phrase?
Part 1. Describe the Biblical Old Testament.
Part 2. Describe the Biblical New Testament, comparing and contrasting it to the Old Testament.
Part 3. Give some examples and explanations about things that might be referred to as Old Testament.
Essay Topic 3
The action of the novel happens in a community of Pentecostal Evangelists, and the conflict in the story is caused by their beliefs.
Part 1. Who are the Pentecostal Evangelists, and what do they believe in?
Part 2. Have they changed since the 1960s when this story took place?
Part 3. What would it be like to be raised in such a community?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)