|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
2. What does Winnet do for the boy?
3. In general terms, what is the chapter Deuteronomy about?
4. When Jean does not repent for the pastor, what does he tell Jean's mother to do?
5. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
2. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
3. According to the chapter Deuteronomy what are some ways that people change or deny the past?
4. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
5. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
6. What does Jean tell the pastor and elders of her church when they return after locking her up? Is she sincere?
7. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
8. What is the nature of stories and history and how does she describe them?
9. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
10. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel Jean spends the better part of a chapter trying to understand men.
Part 1. Describe the techniques the young Jean employs to get information.
Part 2. What information does Jean gather, and what surmises does she make from it?
Part 3. Jean was clearly suffering from a lack of quality, clear information given to her. What role should her parents and/or teachers and pastors have played in her understanding, or is such confusion a natural part of the process?
Essay Topic 2
The author frequently uses stories, often ones that sound like parables, to make her points in her story.
Part 1. Give some examples of some stories she tells to enhance an aspect of her story.
Part 2. Analyze the story she tells in reference to her story. What does it mean? What is she adding to her narrative?
Part 3. In your mind, how effective is this tool in her story telling?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)