|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say about the curious?
2. Who tries to help Jean after she is accused by the pastor?
3. What is Jean's role in the church after she is accused and repents?
4. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
5. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
2. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
3. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
4. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
5. What is the nature of stories and history and how does she describe them?
6. What does Jean tell the pastor and elders of her church when they return after locking her up? Is she sincere?
7. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
8. What is it like for Winnet living in the village? Why does she decide she has to leave?
9. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
10. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean's mother, whose name we never actually learn, is one of the most overwhelming characters of the book and it is her hands more than any that shape Jean's childhood.
Part 1. Describe Jean's mother.
Part 2. Jean described her mother as "Old Testament." What does she mean?
Part 3. What hints are we given into Jean's mother's past that indicate she might not be entirely as she seems. What hints are we given and what can we guess?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the Biblical books that a chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT was named after; so Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, or Ruth.
Part 1. Describe the Biblical book, naming the most common references from it.
Part 2. Summarize the activity that happens in the chapter ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT named after that Biblical book.
Part 3. Relate the chapter in the novel to the biblical chapter. What parallels is the book making? What references? How does the biblical chapter add depth to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Jean's first theological disagreement with her church was on the definition of perfection.
Part 1. How did the pastor at Jean's church define perfection? According to him, is it achievable? How and when?
Part 2. Jean expresses her own views on the definition through a story. Summarize the story she tells and explain how it portrays Jean's views on perfection. What are Jean's views on perfection?
Part 3. Which side of this discussion do you agree with? Give reasons and examples to support your position.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)