|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
2. What advice is Jean trying to give us at the end of the chapter titled Deuteronomy?
3. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
4. Which of the following is a belief held by Jean's mother?
5. What is Winnet's punishment from the sorcerer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
2. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
3. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
4. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
5. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
6. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
7. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
8. What happens when Jean returns home for a visit?
9. How was Katy and Jean's relationship discovered by the members of the church?
10. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the Biblical books that a chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT was named after; so Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, or Ruth.
Part 1. Describe the Biblical book, naming the most common references from it.
Part 2. Summarize the activity that happens in the chapter ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT named after that Biblical book.
Part 3. Relate the chapter in the novel to the biblical chapter. What parallels is the book making? What references? How does the biblical chapter add depth to the book?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
Essay Topic 3
None of the references to famous people, stories, or other things are in the novel by accident. The author brings them up specifically for their relevance to some aspect of her story. Choose one of the many popular or Biblical references in the novel to explain.
Part 1. What reference is made? When in the story is it made?
Part 2. Describe the reference thoroughly, making sure to include the parts that relate to ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT.
Part 3. How does this reference relate back to Jean's story? What relevance does it have? What insight or depth does it bring with it that was missing?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)