|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
2. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
3. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
4. What does Jean's mother say of Jean's sexuality?
5. What does Jean compare history to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
2. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
3. What is it like for Winnet living in the village? Why does she decide she has to leave?
4. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
5. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
6. How was Katy and Jean's relationship discovered by the members of the church?
7. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
8. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
9. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
10. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the Biblical books that a chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT was named after; so Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, or Ruth.
Part 1. Describe the Biblical book, naming the most common references from it.
Part 2. Summarize the activity that happens in the chapter ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT named after that Biblical book.
Part 3. Relate the chapter in the novel to the biblical chapter. What parallels is the book making? What references? How does the biblical chapter add depth to the book?
Essay Topic 3
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)