|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
2. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
3. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
4. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
5. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
2. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
3. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
4. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
5. What makes Jean's mother aware of what is happening between Jean and Melanie?
6. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
7. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
8. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
9. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
10. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
None of the references to famous people, stories, or other things are in the novel by accident. The author brings them up specifically for their relevance to some aspect of her story. Choose one of the many popular or Biblical references in the novel to explain.
Part 1. What reference is made? When in the story is it made?
Part 2. Describe the reference thoroughly, making sure to include the parts that relate to ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT.
Part 3. How does this reference relate back to Jean's story? What relevance does it have? What insight or depth does it bring with it that was missing?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
Essay Topic 3
Jean's first theological disagreement with her church was on the definition of perfection.
Part 1. How did the pastor at Jean's church define perfection? According to him, is it achievable? How and when?
Part 2. Jean expresses her own views on the definition through a story. Summarize the story she tells and explain how it portrays Jean's views on perfection. What are Jean's views on perfection?
Part 3. Which side of this discussion do you agree with? Give reasons and examples to support your position.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)