|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
2. What does Jean's visitor tell her while she is locked in?
3. What does Jean say about the past?
4. What must explorers bring back?
5. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Jean's mother aware of what is happening between Jean and Melanie?
2. Describe the nature and style of the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
3. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
4. What is it like for Winnet living in the village? Why does she decide she has to leave?
5. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
6. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
7. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
8. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
9. What is the nature of stories and history and how does she describe them?
10. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central themes in the novel deal with sexuality and gender roles.
Part 1. Describe the views that expressed by the members of Jean's church.
Part 2. Analyze the views described. Are they sexist or prejudice?
Part 3. What philosophies exist contrary to this position? What is anti-essentialism?
Part 4. What effect do holding these views have on religious institutions such as Jean's church?
Essay Topic 2
Jean's mother, whose name we never actually learn, is one of the most overwhelming characters of the book and it is her hands more than any that shape Jean's childhood.
Part 1. Describe Jean's mother.
Part 2. Jean described her mother as "Old Testament." What does she mean?
Part 3. What hints are we given into Jean's mother's past that indicate she might not be entirely as she seems. What hints are we given and what can we guess?
Essay Topic 3
The action of the novel happens in a community of Pentecostal Evangelists, and the conflict in the story is caused by their beliefs.
Part 1. Who are the Pentecostal Evangelists, and what do they believe in?
Part 2. Have they changed since the 1960s when this story took place?
Part 3. What would it be like to be raised in such a community?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)