|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
2. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
3. What does Jean's mother identify the sound coming from next door as?
4. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
5. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
2. What happens when Jean tries to tell her mother that she is going deaf?
3. How is Jean's deafness discovered?
4. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
5. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
6. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
7. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
8. What kinds of stories does Jean's mother tell her while the walk on Sundays? Give some examples.
9. Describe the incident of the mac and its replacement.
10. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the five fundamental components of fiction discussed in class is Theme.
Part 1. What are themes?
Part 2. How is theme different for expository essays versus story telling?
Part 3. What are some of the themes from the novel? How are they developed?
Essay Topic 2
Jean's mother, whose name we never actually learn, is one of the most overwhelming characters of the book and it is her hands more than any that shape Jean's childhood.
Part 1. Describe Jean's mother.
Part 2. Jean described her mother as "Old Testament." What does she mean?
Part 3. What hints are we given into Jean's mother's past that indicate she might not be entirely as she seems. What hints are we given and what can we guess?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of story telling discussed is that of plot.
Part 1. What is plot? How can it be manipulated?
Part 2 What are the elements of plot? Do they usually follow a pattern?
Part 3. What role does conflict play in plot? What are the four common types of conflict?
Part 4. What is the central conflict that drives the plot?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)