|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
2. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
3. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
4. What does Jean help do one year when they go to Morecambe?
5. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prince write about perfection?
2. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
3. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
4. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
5. How is Jean's deafness discovered?
6. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
7. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
8. What makes Jean's mother aware of what is happening between Jean and Melanie?
9. Describe Jean's mother.
10. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
Essay Topic 1
Jean's mother, whose name we never actually learn, is one of the most overwhelming characters of the book and it is her hands more than any that shape Jean's childhood.
Part 1. Describe Jean's mother.
Part 2. Jean described her mother as "Old Testament." What does she mean?
Part 3. What hints are we given into Jean's mother's past that indicate she might not be entirely as she seems. What hints are we given and what can we guess?
Essay Topic 2
An entire chapter of the novel is dedicated to discussion of stories and history in general being subjective.
Part 1. What is meant by subjectivity in history?
Part 2. How subjective is history? Are there any true things to be found and proven?
Part 3. How do people best cope with the subjective nature of looking into the past?
Essay Topic 3
The action of the novel happens in a community of Pentecostal Evangelists, and the conflict in the story is caused by their beliefs.
Part 1. Who are the Pentecostal Evangelists, and what do they believe in?
Part 2. Have they changed since the 1960s when this story took place?
Part 3. What would it be like to be raised in such a community?
This section contains 2,361 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)