|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
2. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
3. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
4. Where does Jean's mom get her a new mac?
5. What cures the sensitive princess in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
2. In an attempt to fit in at school, what does Jean change about her art projects? How does that go?
3. What does the perfect girl the prince finds tell him?
4. Describe the dream Jean has again and again about marriage.
5. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
6. Describe a typical Sunday in Jean's home.
7. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
8. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
9. Who is Elsie? Describe her.
10. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the central themes of this novel has to deal with the concept of homosexuality in religion.
Part 1. How is this theme developed in the novel?
Part 2. What are some common attitudes of religious groups today in regards to homosexuality?
Part 3.What, in your view, should the role of homosexuality in religion be?
Essay Topic 2
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the Biblical books that a chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT was named after; so Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, or Ruth.
Part 1. Describe the Biblical book, naming the most common references from it.
Part 2. Summarize the activity that happens in the chapter ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT named after that Biblical book.
Part 3. Relate the chapter in the novel to the biblical chapter. What parallels is the book making? What references? How does the biblical chapter add depth to the book?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)