|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
2. What is Elsie's hobby?
3. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
4. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
5. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
2. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
3. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
4. In the beginning of the chapter, Leviticus, what do Jean and her mother hear coming from Next Door? What do they do about it?
5. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
6. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
7. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
8. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
9. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
10. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
Essay Topic 1
Jean's mother, whose name we never actually learn, is one of the most overwhelming characters of the book and it is her hands more than any that shape Jean's childhood.
Part 1. Describe Jean's mother.
Part 2. Jean described her mother as "Old Testament." What does she mean?
Part 3. What hints are we given into Jean's mother's past that indicate she might not be entirely as she seems. What hints are we given and what can we guess?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of story telling discussed is that of plot.
Part 1. What is plot? How can it be manipulated?
Part 2 What are the elements of plot? Do they usually follow a pattern?
Part 3. What role does conflict play in plot? What are the four common types of conflict?
Part 4. What is the central conflict that drives the plot?
This section contains 2,419 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)