|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
2. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
3. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
4. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
5. What cures the sensitive princess in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of the sensitive princess?
2. How is Jean's deafness discovered?
3. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
4. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
5. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
6. Describe Jean's mother.
7. What happens when Jean tries to tell her mother that she is going deaf?
8. Describe the dream Jean has again and again about marriage.
9. Describe the incident of the mac and its replacement.
10. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the Biblical books that a chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT was named after; so Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, or Ruth.
Part 1. Describe the Biblical book, naming the most common references from it.
Part 2. Summarize the activity that happens in the chapter ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT named after that Biblical book.
Part 3. Relate the chapter in the novel to the biblical chapter. What parallels is the book making? What references? How does the biblical chapter add depth to the book?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)