|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
2. What does Jean's mother worry about?
3. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
4. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
5. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jean's deafness discovered?
2. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
3. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
4. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
5. How does Jean get to go the fair once a year? What happens to her there one year with a palm reader?
6. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
7. When she is young and still trying to understand men and marriage, what is Jean's general opinion of men? Where does it come from?
8. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
9. Describe the incident of the mac and its replacement.
10. What happens when Jean tries to tell her mother that she is going deaf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
None of the references to famous people, stories, or other things are in the novel by accident. The author brings them up specifically for their relevance to some aspect of her story. Choose one of the many popular or Biblical references in the novel to explain.
Part 1. What reference is made? When in the story is it made?
Part 2. Describe the reference thoroughly, making sure to include the parts that relate to ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT.
Part 3. How does this reference relate back to Jean's story? What relevance does it have? What insight or depth does it bring with it that was missing?
Essay Topic 2
The action of the novel happens in a community of Pentecostal Evangelists, and the conflict in the story is caused by their beliefs.
Part 1. Who are the Pentecostal Evangelists, and what do they believe in?
Part 2. Have they changed since the 1960s when this story took place?
Part 3. What would it be like to be raised in such a community?
Essay Topic 3
At one point Jean describes her mother as "Old Testament." What do we mean by that phrase?
Part 1. Describe the Biblical Old Testament.
Part 2. Describe the Biblical New Testament, comparing and contrasting it to the Old Testament.
Part 3. Give some examples and explanations about things that might be referred to as Old Testament.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)