|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean overhear her mother say about the people that invited her to the seashore?
2. What does Jean discover when she reads the book JANE EYRE?
3. What what Jean's mother's response when Jean told her about the marriage dream she had?
4. How does the Society for the Lost fare under the direction of Jean's mother?
5. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
2. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
3. When the Society has a special conference in Jean's town, what does Jean's mother make her do? Who does Jean meet there?
4. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
5. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
6. Describe Jean's mother.
7. Describe a typical Sunday in Jean's home.
8. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
9. How is Jean's deafness discovered?
10. How did Jean's mother get started with the Society for the Lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of one of the chapters in the book, the author includes a brief description of a historical moment of the storming of the Winter Palace. It adds depth to her story because although she shows us just a moment of relative inaction, the reader knows the outcome of the historical moment and so gets a hint of a possible outcome for her story.
Part 1. What was the storming of the Winter Palace that she referred to, and how did it relate to her story?
Part 2. Choose a pivotal moment in your own life that you can somehow equate with a moment in history. What was the moment in your life? What historical moment?
Part 3. Analyze how the moment of your own life is comparable to that moment in history, and what does representing that moment in history bring to your own story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the Biblical books that a chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT was named after; so Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, or Ruth.
Part 1. Describe the Biblical book, naming the most common references from it.
Part 2. Summarize the activity that happens in the chapter ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT named after that Biblical book.
Part 3. Relate the chapter in the novel to the biblical chapter. What parallels is the book making? What references? How does the biblical chapter add depth to the book?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)