|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
2. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
3. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
4. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
5. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
2. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
3. Who does Jean eventually get a Saturday job from? What does she do?
4. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
5. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
6. How was Katy and Jean's relationship discovered by the members of the church?
7. Describe the nature and style of the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
8. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
9. What happens when Jean returns home for a visit?
10. Describe a typical Sunday in Jean's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean's first theological disagreement with her church was on the definition of perfection.
Part 1. How did the pastor at Jean's church define perfection? According to him, is it achievable? How and when?
Part 2. Jean expresses her own views on the definition through a story. Summarize the story she tells and explain how it portrays Jean's views on perfection. What are Jean's views on perfection?
Part 3. Which side of this discussion do you agree with? Give reasons and examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The five fundamental components of fiction were introduced and discussed in a lecture.
Part 1. What are the five fundamental components?
Part 2. Give a description of each of the components and an example or two of how they might affect a story.
Part 3. Discuss the five fundamental components in ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT. What techniques does the author use? How effectively does she use them?
Essay Topic 3
The author frequently uses stories, often ones that sound like parables, to make her points in her story.
Part 1. Give some examples of some stories she tells to enhance an aspect of her story.
Part 2. Analyze the story she tells in reference to her story. What does it mean? What is she adding to her narrative?
Part 3. In your mind, how effective is this tool in her story telling?
This section contains 2,313 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)