Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince in the story want to find?
2. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
3. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
4. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
5. What is Elsie's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
2. In an attempt to fit in at school, what does Jean change about her art projects? How does that go?
3. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
4. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
5. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
6. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
7. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
8. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
9. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
10. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
Essay Topic 1
The action of the novel happens in a community of Pentecostal Evangelists, and the conflict in the story is caused by their beliefs.
Part 1. Who are the Pentecostal Evangelists, and what do they believe in?
Part 2. Have they changed since the 1960s when this story took place?
Part 3. What would it be like to be raised in such a community?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT is the debut novel by Jeannette Winterson. Write an essay about the book and the author.
Part 1. When was the book published? How has it been received by the literary community?
Part 2. What type of story is this? What does the story itself tell us about the author?
Part 3. Who is Jeannette Winterson and what else has she done?
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)