|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is in the book that the prince writes?
2. What does Jean's mother identify the sound coming from next door as?
3. Why does Pastor Finch carry a First Aid kit in his van?
4. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
5. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
2. When the Society has a special conference in Jean's town, what does Jean's mother make her do? Who does Jean meet there?
3. What is the story of the sensitive princess?
4. What does the perfect girl the prince finds tell him?
5. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
6. Describe a typical Sunday in Jean's home.
7. What kinds of stories does Jean's mother tell her while the walk on Sundays? Give some examples.
8. How does Jean get to go the fair once a year? What happens to her there one year with a palm reader?
9. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
10. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel Jean spends the better part of a chapter trying to understand men.
Part 1. Describe the techniques the young Jean employs to get information.
Part 2. What information does Jean gather, and what surmises does she make from it?
Part 3. Jean was clearly suffering from a lack of quality, clear information given to her. What role should her parents and/or teachers and pastors have played in her understanding, or is such confusion a natural part of the process?
Essay Topic 2
At one point Jean describes her mother as "Old Testament." What do we mean by that phrase?
Part 1. Describe the Biblical Old Testament.
Part 2. Describe the Biblical New Testament, comparing and contrasting it to the Old Testament.
Part 3. Give some examples and explanations about things that might be referred to as Old Testament.
Essay Topic 3
One of the five fundamental components of storytelling discussed is the element of style.
Part 1. What is the element of style?
Part 2. Give some examples of literature or other popular stories where style has been a major factor in the enjoyment of the story.
Part 3. Discuss the style used in the novel. How effective was it?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)