|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) A string full of knots.
(b) Our own personal past.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) A religious text.
2. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
(a) Write about it.
(b) Study it.
(c) Dispose of it.
(d) Define it as truth.
3. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
(a) The church group often slept at each other's homes.
(b) Her mother approved of the friendship.
(c) She lied about where she was.
(d) Nobody cared about her whereabouts.
4. What does Jean say about the curious?
(a) They look outward to not look in.
(b) They are always in some danger.
(c) They are blind.
(d) They are the engine of the world.
5. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
(a) Loving each other with a love reserved for man and wife.
(b) Not loving God.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Falling under Satan's spell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jean say history is?
2. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
3. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
4. According to the chapter, Deuteronomy, what is time?
5. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
2. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
3. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
4. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
5. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
6. What does Jean tell the pastor and elders of her church when they return after locking her up? Is she sincere?
7. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
8. Describe the nature and style of the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
9. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
10. What is it like for Winnet living in the village? Why does she decide she has to leave?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)