|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
(a) To Katy's parents.
(b) Morecambe guest house.
(c) Away to college.
(d) To see the big city.
2. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) Our own personal past.
(b) A string full of knots.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) A religious text.
3. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
(a) The prayer of St Francis.
(b) The old saying "love conquers all"
(c) The queen announcing "either you or your head must be off!"
(d) "from whom much has been given, much is expected"
4. When Jean does not repent for the pastor, what does he tell Jean's mother to do?
(a) Pray continuously for her.
(b) Kick her out of the house.
(c) Supervise her at all times.
(d) Lock Jean in her room and not feed her.
5. Where does Jean go after being accused at church?
(a) To the market where she met Melanie.
(b) Straight home.
(c) To the top of the hill.
(d) To Mrs. Jewsbury's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
2. What does Jean say was a big problem looking at history after the second world war?
3. What happens to Winnet after she leaves the sorcerer?
4. Who tries to help Jean after she is accused by the pastor?
5. Which of the following best describes the attitude of Jean's mother when Jean comes back for a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
2. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
3. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
4. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
5. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
6. According to the chapter Deuteronomy what are some ways that people change or deny the past?
7. How was Katy and Jean's relationship discovered by the members of the church?
8. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
9. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
10. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)