|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jean go after being accused at church?
(a) To the market where she met Melanie.
(b) To Mrs. Jewsbury's.
(c) To the top of the hill.
(d) Straight home.
2. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
(b) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
(c) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(d) Challenges him to a duel.
3. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(b) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
(c) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(d) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
4. What does the pastor tell Jean when they run into each other?
(a) That he had handled the situation poorly.
(b) The church was better without her.
(c) That the church missed her and her energy.
(d) That Melanie never loved her.
5. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(a) Jean's father.
(c) Mrs Arkwright.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes a belief held by Jean's mother?
2. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
3. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
4. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
5. Why does Jean say her mother has always given her problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Katy and Jean's relationship discovered by the members of the church?
2. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
3. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
4. What happens when Jean returns home for a visit?
5. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
6. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
7. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
8. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
9. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
10. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)