|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city?
(a) Leave everything she knows.
(b) Push her boat out alone into an immense sea she was afraid of.
(c) Learn the ways of boat builders.
(d) All the above.
2. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
(b) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(c) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(d) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
3. According to Jean, what do people often use history for?
(a) To not feel lost.
(b) A way of defining self.
(c) To keep busy looking at something other than the present.
(d) A way of denying the past.
4. How does Jean characterize uncertainty to her?
(a) Like not having God.
(b) Like being blindfolded.
(c) Like being in a valley - having to choose a direction with no view.
(d) Like an aardvark - recognizable but unfamiliar.
5. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
(a) Solid guidance.
(b) Supportive and loving.
(c) Unchanged from usual.
(d) Tense and awkward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say about things that are dead?
2. Where does Jean go right after repenting and being released from her lockdown?
3. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
4. What is Jean's role in the church after she is accused and repents?
5. After her visitor, what does Jean announce she is ready to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
2. What is it like for Winnet living in the village? Why does she decide she has to leave?
3. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
4. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
5. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
6. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
7. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
8. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
9. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
10. What does Jean tell the pastor and elders of her church when they return after locking her up? Is she sincere?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)