|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean say about things that are dead?
(a) They have all the admirable qualities of life.
(b) There is a certain seductiveness about them.
(c) All of the above.
(d) They don't have the tiresome messiness of live things.
2. What does Jean feel when she looks at a history book?
(a) She is repulsed by the pretention.
(b) She is curious about the new story.
(c) She is astonished at the imaginative effort.
(d) None of the above.
3. What opinion of many has history changed since the Pilgrim fathers first set sail?
(a) That they were crazy.
(b) That they would circumvent the globe.
(c) None of the above.
(d) That the known is better than the unknown.
4. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(a) Jean's father.
(c) Mrs Arkwright.
5. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(a) True love.
(b) Absolute truth.
(c) Purity of emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
2. Who tries to help Jean after she is accused by the pastor?
3. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
4. What are the names of the sorcerer's ravens?
5. What does the pastor identify as the root cause of the problem with Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
2. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
3. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
4. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
5. According to the chapter Deuteronomy what are some ways that people change or deny the past?
6. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
7. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
8. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
9. Describe the nature and style of the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
10. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)