|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) All the above.
(b) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(c) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
(d) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
2. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
(c) The pastor.
(d) An orange demon.
3. What does Jean envision her mother wishing for as she waits in her room?
(a) To not have children.
(b) To be transported by God away from the world.
(c) Her and her room to go up in flames while the house remained untouched.
(d) A tearful reunion of the two of them.
4. What does Jean say about the past?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The lens to see it can be tinted and tilted and smashed.
(c) It is only malleable where once it was flexible.
(d) Once it could change its mind, now it can only undergo change.
5. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
(a) Make love.
(b) All of the above.
(d) Drink brandy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
2. Why does Jean say her mother has always given her problems?
3. After her visitor, what does Jean announce she is ready to do?
4. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
5. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
2. According to the chapter Deuteronomy what are some ways that people change or deny the past?
3. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
4. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
5. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
6. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
7. What makes Jean's mother aware of what is happening between Jean and Melanie?
8. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
9. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
10. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)