|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
(a) Try not sinking them into history.
(b) Make your own sandwiches.
(c) Stay out of other people's stories.
(d) Don't be curious.
2. What does Jean envision her mother wishing for as she waits in her room?
(a) To not have children.
(b) A tearful reunion of the two of them.
(c) To be transported by God away from the world.
(d) Her and her room to go up in flames while the house remained untouched.
3. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
(a) She feels nothing.
(b) She is overwhelmed with longing.
(c) She feels close to God.
(d) She is repulsed by the thought.
4. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
(a) In a bookshop.
(b) With everyone who can't make the ultimate decision.
(c) In the city of Lost Chances.
(d) All of the above.
5. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
(a) The prayer of St Francis.
(b) The queen announcing "either you or your head must be off!"
(c) "from whom much has been given, much is expected"
(d) The old saying "love conquers all"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean find out one day driving the ice cream truck?
2. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
3. Who does Jean say history is?
4. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
5. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
2. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
3. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
4. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
5. Where does Melanie go, and with whom, after being accused at church? What happens?
6. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
7. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
8. What makes Jean's mother aware of what is happening between Jean and Melanie?
9. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
10. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)