|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
(a) Jean visits her in the hospital early in the morning so she won't run into anyone.
(b) Jean spends the night at her side in the funeral parlor.
(c) Elsie comes out to her ice cream truck to tell Jean she' dying.
(d) The church holds a wake for Elsie and Jean attends.
2. What does Winnet do for the boy?
(a) Tells him to deny her and blame her to the sorcerer so he can be free.
(b) She sets him free from his cell.
(c) Defends him to the sorcerer.
(d) All the above.
3. What is Winnet's punishment from the sorcerer?
(a) She is turned into a raven.
(b) She has to leave, or tend the goats if she stays.
(c) She has to watch the boy marry and raise a family with another girl.
(d) She is made to forget everyone she loves.
4. How does Jean characterize uncertainty to her?
(a) Like an aardvark - recognizable but unfamiliar.
(b) Like being blindfolded.
(c) Like not having God.
(d) Like being in a valley - having to choose a direction with no view.
5. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
(a) Nobody cared about her whereabouts.
(b) The church group often slept at each other's homes.
(c) Her mother approved of the friendship.
(d) She lied about where she was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's visitor tell her while she is locked in?
2. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
3. What must explorers bring back?
4. Who does Jean say history is?
5. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
2. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
3. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
4. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
5. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
6. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
7. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
8. Describe the nature and style of the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
9. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
10. What does the author say about the curious and the collector of curios?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)