|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Challenges him to a duel.
(b) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
(c) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(d) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
2. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
(a) To Katy's parents.
(b) Away to college.
(c) To see the big city.
(d) Morecambe guest house.
3. What happens to Winnet after she leaves the sorcerer?
(a) She is taken in by a villager who is kind to her.
(b) She never learns to talk the way the villagers do, even though she wants to.
(c) All the above.
(d) She hears of a beautiful city and decides to go there.
4. When Jean does not repent for the pastor, what does he tell Jean's mother to do?
(a) Lock Jean in her room and not feed her.
(b) Supervise her at all times.
(c) Pray continuously for her.
(d) Kick her out of the house.
5. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
(a) She will find herself destroyed by grief.
(b) The sorcerer will torment her.
(c) She will be protected by the people that have always known her.
(d) She will lose her power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean envision her mother wishing for as she waits in her room?
2. Who does Jean say history is?
3. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
4. Which of the following best describes the attitude of Jean's mother when Jean comes back for a visit?
5. What is the competition the sorcerer and Winnet use to determine her future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
2. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
3. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
4. Describe the nature and style of the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
5. What happens that makes the sorcerer cast Winnet out?
6. In what ways might the chapter entitled Deuteronomy apply to Jean's life?
7. What does Jean tell the church to protect Katy?
8. What do the pastor and her mother pinpoint as the culprit for Jean's sexuality?
9. What is the nature of stories and history and how does she describe them?
10. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)