|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
(a) A stranger from another land.
(b) The sorcerer's other apprentice.
(c) A boy from the village.
(d) Another sorcerer.
2. What was the Awful Occasion?
(a) The time Jean's real mother came to claim her.
(b) When Jean first realized she was involved in "unnatural passions".
(c) The day Melanie left Jean.
(d) The time Jean's parents nearly separated.
3. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
(a) The best way to exorcise demons.
(b) Whether Jean is a wicked person or unfortunate victim.
(c) How suited Jean would be to be a missionary.
(d) If Jean can still preach at church.
4. In general terms, what is the chapter Deuteronomy about?
(a) How to choose what you should believe.
(b) How people see the past.
(c) The importance of being curious.
(d) The importance of having stories.
5. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
(b) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(c) Challenges him to a duel.
(d) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
2. What does Jean feel when she looks at a history book?
3. What opinion of many has history changed since the Pilgrim fathers first set sail?
4. What does the pastor tell Jean when they run into each other?
5. What does Jean say was a big problem looking at history after the second world war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened when Jean's biological mother returned to claim her.
2. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
3. What does Jean tell the pastor and elders of her church when they return after locking her up? Is she sincere?
4. While Jean is locked up in her mother's house after being accused of loving Melanie at church, who does Jean talk to and what do they say?
5. What happens when Jean returns home for a visit?
6. What do the pastor and Jean's mother propose after discovering Jean's continued interest in women, and what is Jean's response?
7. What is the point the author makes using the pilgrim fathers in her chapter entitled Deuteronomy?
8. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
9. What happens when Jean finally returns home after being accused by the pastor in church?
10. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)