|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
(a) For Bible study as her counselor.
(b) Delivering food from Tricketts.
(c) Bringing new tracts for distribution.
(d) Their mothers go downtown together.
2. What does Jean's mother have hung above her oven where she can see it often?
(a) A picture of Jean.
(b) A picture of her and her husband on their wedding day.
(c) The prayer of St. Francis.
(d) A watercolor of the Lord painted by Pastor Spratt.
3. Which of the following is in the book that the prince writes?
(a) The need to produce a world of perfect beings.
(b) The corruption of opting for second best.
(c) All of the above.
(d) An exhoration to single-mindedness.
4. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(b) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
(c) She gives Jean some food.
(d) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
5. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
(a) She makes friends with another misfit, but no one else.
(b) Her wit and fearlessness make her an instant hit with the other kids.
(c) The teachers like her but the kids don't.
(d) She is an outcast and doesn't make any friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
2. Which of the following is something Jean's mother routinely is likely to say first thing to her on Sundays?
3. In the story at the end of the chapter titled Leviticus, what is the girl like?
4. What is the moral of the parable of the sensitive princess?
5. What does Jean discover when she reads the book JANE EYRE?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jean's mother get started with the Society for the Lost?
2. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
3. What does the headmistress call Jean into her office for? Why? What is Jean's response?
4. Summarize the story of Jean's mother and Pierre.
5. Describe the dream Jean has again and again about marriage.
6. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
7. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
8. When the Society has a special conference in Jean's town, what does Jean's mother make her do? Who does Jean meet there?
9. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
10. Describe the incident of the mac and its replacement.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)