|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
(a) Jean asks her to come over a baked potato.
(b) She wanders in by coincidence.
(c) She is looking for Jean.
(d) Her mother is a friend of Elsies and takes her.
2. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) The Lord.
(b) A childhood friend.
(c) An old crone.
(d) An old goose.
3. Which of the following is in the book that the prince writes?
(a) An exhoration to single-mindedness.
(b) The corruption of opting for second best.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The need to produce a world of perfect beings.
4. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
(a) That perfection is flawlessness.
(b) None of the above.
(c) That perfection is unobtainable.
(d) That God is perfection.
5. What makes Jean's mother decide to get Jean a new mac?
(a) When she notices Jean's mac is getting threadbare.
(b) When Jean begs for one.
(c) When the sleeve comes off.
(d) Running into Mrs Clifton who says she needs one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
2. What does Jean's mother have hung above her oven where she can see it often?
3. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
4. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
5. What condition does Jean's mother insist on to let Jean go to the fair once a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
2. What happens when Jean tries to tell her mother that she is going deaf?
3. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
4. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
5. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
6. What is Jean's experience with the visiting pastor, Pastor Finch?
7. How is Jean's deafness discovered?
8. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
9. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
10. When the Society has a special conference in Jean's town, what does Jean's mother make her do? Who does Jean meet there?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)