|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jean's mom get her a new mac?
(a) The butcher's lost and found.
(b) A booth in the market.
(c) Marks & Spencer.
(d) A seconds shop.
2. What is Jean unsure how to do?
(a) Choose a husband.
(b) Make babies.
(c) Tell men from beasts.
(d) Get into a marriage.
3. What does Jean assume when she first senses hearing loss?
(a) She is in a state of rapture.
(b) It's normal.
(c) She is getting old.
(d) God is smiting her.
4. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
(a) That perfection is flawlessness.
(b) That perfection is unobtainable.
(c) That God is perfection.
(d) None of the above.
5. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she is destined for great works.
(b) That she will never marry.
(c) That she does not know her real self.
(d) That she is a child of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother call the public school?
2. Why does Jean like Elsie?
3. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
4. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
5. What do Jean and her mother do routinely on Sunday mornings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
2. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
3. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
4. In the beginning of the chapter, Leviticus, what do Jean and her mother hear coming from Next Door? What do they do about it?
5. How does Jean get to go the fair once a year? What happens to her there one year with a palm reader?
6. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
7. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
8. What does the headmistress call Jean into her office for? Why? What is Jean's response?
9. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
10. What does the prince write about perfection?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)