|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
(a) Getting the dead ready for burial at an undertaker's.
(b) Growing carnations.
(c) Making wire forms for wreaths.
(d) Making wedding bouquets.
2. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) A day for a feast.
(b) Vigorous in worship.
(c) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
(d) Family time.
3. What was in the package that came from Wigan?
(a) A letter from Pierre.
(b) Tickets to a cruise.
(c) Jean's biological parents' information.
(d) None of the above.
4. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
(a) Mrs. Jewsbury, an oboe player.
(b) Jean's dance teacher.
(c) The pastor.
(d) Her mother.
5. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
(a) She tells her mom but can't hear her mother's answer.
(b) Her mother tells her it is a symptom of the rapture.
(c) She tries to wait until her mother is undistracted but can't find a time.
(d) She writes "the world is very quiet" on a paper. Her mother nods and keeps reading a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
2. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
3. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
4. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
5. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
2. What is the story of the sensitive princess?
3. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
4. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
5. What does the headmistress call Jean into her office for? Why? What is Jean's response?
6. Who does Jean eventually get a Saturday job from? What does she do?
7. What is Jean's experience with the visiting pastor, Pastor Finch?
8. When she is young and still trying to understand men and marriage, what is Jean's general opinion of men? Where does it come from?
9. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
10. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)