|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
(a) Feeding Daniel to the lions in fuzzy felt.
(b) Coloring a mustache on Mary.
(c) Making a manger scene in fuzzy felt.
2. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
(a) The pastor.
(b) Jean's dance teacher.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Mrs. Jewsbury, an oboe player.
3. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) To take the dog.
(b) A fish.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A new mac.
4. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) A puppy.
(b) Cries for help.
(c) Pastor Spratt.
(d) The voice of God.
5. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
(a) She writes "the world is very quiet" on a paper. Her mother nods and keeps reading a book.
(b) Her mother tells her it is a symptom of the rapture.
(c) She tries to wait until her mother is undistracted but can't find a time.
(d) She tells her mom but can't hear her mother's answer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
2. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
3. How does the Society for the Lost fare under the direction of Jean's mother?
4. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
5. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Elsie? Describe her.
2. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
3. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
4. How did Jean's mother get started with the Society for the Lost?
5. What is the story of the sensitive princess?
6. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
7. Describe the incident of the mac and its replacement.
8. In an attempt to fit in at school, what does Jean change about her art projects? How does that go?
9. What is Jean's experience with the visiting pastor, Pastor Finch?
10. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)