|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Elsie give Jean?
(a) A book about independent thinking.
(b) Three mice in a box painted like "the fiery furnace".
(c) A pillow with inspirational sayings on it.
(d) A flute.
2. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) Pastor Spratt.
(b) A puppy.
(c) The voice of God.
(d) Cries for help.
3. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
(a) Her adoptive mother and father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her mother and father.
(d) Her mother and stepfather.
4. Who is Pastor Spratt?
(a) The elderly slightly senile pastor at church.
(b) The young, handsome pastor about to start preaching.
(c) The Pastor that converted Jean's mother and who she still devotedly follows.
(d) The founder of their church.
5. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
(a) Teachers are obliged to recognize their technical superiority.
(b) Nobody understands them.
(c) Rejected due to content.
(d) Praised because of her effort in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
2. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
3. What does Jean's mother identify the sound coming from next door as?
4. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
5. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of stories does Jean's mother tell her while the walk on Sundays? Give some examples.
2. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
3. Who is Elsie? Describe her.
4. How did Jean's mother get started with the Society for the Lost?
5. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
6. Summarize the story of Jean's mother and Pierre.
7. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
8. What is the story of the sensitive princess?
9. Describe Jean's mother.
10. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside? What happens and why does her mother not let her?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)