|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
(a) Starts singing hymns loudly.
(b) Sends Jean out for ice cream.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Claps her hands over Jean's ears.
2. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
(a) Lord be my guide.
(b) To mother, with love.
(c) The summer is ended and we are not yet saved.
(d) Great is the glory of God.
3. What gift does Elsie give Jean?
(a) A book about independent thinking.
(b) A flute.
(c) A pillow with inspirational sayings on it.
(d) Three mice in a box painted like "the fiery furnace".
4. What what Jean's mother's response when Jean told her about the marriage dream she had?
(a) She said it was because Jean ate sardines the night before.
(b) She offered to take Jean to a dream analyst.
(c) She reassured her that her own marriage would be nothing like that.
(d) She said she had had similiar dreams when she was young.
5. Where does Jean's mom get her a new mac?
(a) The butcher's lost and found.
(b) A booth in the market.
(c) A seconds shop.
(d) Marks & Spencer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean help do one year when they go to Morecambe?
2. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
3. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
4. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
5. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream Jean has again and again about marriage.
2. Summarize the story of Jean's mother and Pierre.
3. Who is Elsie? Describe her.
4. What does the perfect girl the prince finds tell him?
5. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
6. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
7. In the beginning of the chapter, Leviticus, what do Jean and her mother hear coming from Next Door? What do they do about it?
8. Describe Jean's mother.
9. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
10. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)