|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
(a) The only person she knew there was an old lover.
(b) The agency for adoption was in Wigan.
(c) She had been told Wigan was full of the devils minions.
(d) It was where her family lived.
2. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean's mother sees the world?
(a) Black and white.
(b) A place of shadowy nuances.
(c) A confusing jumble of forces.
(d) As all God's creations.
3. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) The voice of God.
(b) Pastor Spratt.
(c) Cries for help.
(d) A puppy.
4. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
(a) John and Meg's family.
(b) That poor family.
(c) The Johnsons.
(d) Next Door.
5. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
(a) Bringing new tracts for distribution.
(b) Delivering food from Tricketts.
(c) For Bible study as her counselor.
(d) Their mothers go downtown together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
2. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
3. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
4. What important notion does Elsie impart to Jean?
5. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prince write about perfection?
2. Describe a typical Sunday in Jean's home.
3. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
4. When she is young and still trying to understand men and marriage, what is Jean's general opinion of men? Where does it come from?
5. Describe the incident of the mac and its replacement.
6. What does the perfect girl the prince finds tell him?
7. How did Jean's mother get started with the Society for the Lost?
8. Describe the dream Jean has again and again about marriage.
9. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
10. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)