|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who spends the most time with Jean in the hospital?
(a) Mrs Jewsbury.
(b) Jean's mother, who even sleeps there.
(d) Jean's father, sent by her mother.
2. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
(a) They are the only fruit.
(b) They are sent from God.
(c) They keep you from getting sick.
(d) They are not the only fruit.
3. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
(a) The unbounded love of God.
(b) Unnatural passions.
(c) Turning the other cheek.
4. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The pastor.
(c) Jean's dance teacher.
(d) Mrs. Jewsbury, an oboe player.
5. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
(a) No one else in school is like her.
(b) A thing is not a problem, and it's environment is not a problem, but the conjunction of the two can be.
(c) The rest of the world does not like her church.
(d) Her church does not prepare her for the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
2. What important notion does Elsie impart to Jean?
3. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
4. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
5. What is the moral of the parable of the sensitive princess?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Society has a special conference in Jean's town, what does Jean's mother make her do? Who does Jean meet there?
2. In the beginning of the chapter, Leviticus, what do Jean and her mother hear coming from Next Door? What do they do about it?
3. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
4. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
5. Who is Elsie? Describe her.
6. How does Jean get to go the fair once a year? What happens to her there one year with a palm reader?
7. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
8. What kinds of stories does Jean's mother tell her while the walk on Sundays? Give some examples.
9. Describe the dream Jean has again and again about marriage.
10. When she is young and still trying to understand men and marriage, what is Jean's general opinion of men? Where does it come from?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)