|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(b) She gives Jean some food.
(c) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
(d) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
2. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
(a) A missionary child.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A servant of God.
3. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) A fever.
(b) Some empty tins.
(c) Some oranges.
(d) The creeps.
4. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) The prince must come seek her hand.
(b) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
(c) She is not interested in getting married.
(d) She is totally flawless.
5. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) They held seances in the basement.
(b) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(c) The owners had been members of the church but left.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
2. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
3. What does the prince announce about the woman after their talk?
4. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
5. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
2. How does Jean get to go the fair once a year? What happens to her there one year with a palm reader?
3. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
4. When the Society has a special conference in Jean's town, what does Jean's mother make her do? Who does Jean meet there?
5. What does the prince write about perfection?
6. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
7. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
8. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
9. What does the perfect girl the prince finds tell him?
10. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)