|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(a) The Truth.
(c) A wife.
2. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
(a) Delivering food from Tricketts.
(b) Bringing new tracts for distribution.
(c) For Bible study as her counselor.
(d) Their mothers go downtown together.
3. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) To take the dog.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A new mac.
(d) A fish.
4. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) The owners had been members of the church but left.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(d) All of the above.
5. What is Elsie's hobby?
(b) Translating the bible.
(c) Missionary work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
2. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
3. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
4. What does Jean find one day when she is looking for a pack of cards?
5. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the food metaphor the author uses to describe hearing about an event from various sources.
2. In an attempt to fit in at school, what does Jean change about her art projects? How does that go?
3. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
4. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
5. Who is Katy? What is her relationship to Jean?
6. What happens the first time Melanie goes to Jean's church?
7. What are some things Jean's mother did for the Society for the Lost? Was she effective?
8. What is Jean's mother's reaction to the discovery of Jean's continued interest in women?
9. Who is a friend to Jean after she is exposed for loving women for the second time? What does she do to help?
10. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)