|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she will never marry.
(b) That she is a child of God.
(c) That she does not know her real self.
(d) That she is destined for great works.
2. How was the special conference for the Society a turning point for Jean?
(a) It was when she saw her mother through someone else's eyes.
(b) It was when she was confirmed into the Society.
(c) It was when she began to develop her first theological disagreement.
(d) It was when she first saw Pastor Spratt.
3. What is the moral of the parable of the sensitive princess?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Your family knows best.
(c) Love is never misguided.
(d) God's love conquers all.
4. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
(a) Makes it take over the ark.
(b) Has it find God and start to pray.
(c) Drowns it.
(d) Has a lion from the ark eat it.
5. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
(b) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
(c) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
(d) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
2. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
3. Which of the following best characterizes the information Jean gets from the other women regarding men and marriage?
4. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
5. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean get to go the fair once a year? What happens to her there one year with a palm reader?
2. Summarize the story of Jean's mother and Pierre.
3. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
4. Who does Jean eventually get a Saturday job from? What does she do?
5. How and when are Melanie and Jean ousted to the church? What happens?
6. Describe how the author describes Pol Pot in relation to history in the chapter entitled Deuteronomy.
7. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city? What is it like when she reaches it?
8. How does Winnet end up living with the sorcerer and believing she is his daughter?
9. What does the perfect girl the prince finds tell him?
10. When she is young and still trying to understand men and marriage, what is Jean's general opinion of men? Where does it come from?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)