|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
(a) The agency for adoption was in Wigan.
(b) The only person she knew there was an old lover.
(c) She had been told Wigan was full of the devils minions.
(d) It was where her family lived.
2. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) Some oranges.
(b) Some empty tins.
(c) A fever.
(d) The creeps.
3. What does Jean discover when she reads the book JANE EYRE?
(a) There was a world of feelings she was unaware of.
(b) It explained a lot about men.
(c) She could relate closely to Jane Eyre.
(d) Her mother had changed the ending.
4. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(b) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
(c) She gives Jean some food.
(d) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
5. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
(a) Getting the dead ready for burial at an undertaker's.
(b) Making wire forms for wreaths.
(c) Growing carnations.
(d) Making wedding bouquets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
2. In the story at the end of the chapter titled Leviticus, what is the girl like?
3. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
4. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
5. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
2. What is Jean's experience with the visiting pastor, Pastor Finch?
3. Summarize the story of Jean's mother and Pierre.
4. Describe a typical Sunday in Jean's home.
5. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
6. Why does Jean's mother tell Jean the story of her and Pierre? What does she hope to accomplish?
7. When she is young and still trying to understand men and marriage, what is Jean's general opinion of men? Where does it come from?
8. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
9. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
10. Why don't Melanie and Jean think that what they share is what the pastor labels as "unnatural passion"?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)