|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
(a) Because Pastor Finch says unnatural passions are awful.
(b) Because they are sure they are holy.
(c) They just don't think about it.
(d) They don't know the normal boundaries of friendship.
2. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
(a) If the nurse will throw away her orange peel.
(b) Not getting her hearing back.
(c) Dying from the anesthetia.
(d) All of the above.
3. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
(a) Her father creeps downstairs at night to watch tv.
(b) They all go to bed promptly at eight.
(c) Her mother goes to bed at four a.m., her father gets up an hour later.
(d) They change their schedule to match the radio broadcasts her mother listens to.
4. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she is a child of God.
(b) That she will never marry.
(c) That she does not know her real self.
(d) That she is destined for great works.
5. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
(a) Starts singing hymns loudly.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Sends Jean out for ice cream.
(d) Claps her hands over Jean's ears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
2. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
3. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
4. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
5. What is Elsie's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why this statement is relevant to Jean's predicament at school: "What constitutes a problem is not the thing, or the environment where we find the thing, but the conjunction of the two."
2. Who is the prince in the story, and what does he believe he wants?
3. Describe how the church community misunderstood Jean's deafness. What did they say about her?
4. What is Jean's experience with the visiting pastor, Pastor Finch?
5. How did Jean's mother get started with the Society for the Lost?
6. What happened in sewing class when the class worked on cross stitching projects?
7. How does Jean make friends with Melanie?
8. Who does Jean eventually get a Saturday job from? What does she do?
9. In an attempt to fit in at school, what does Jean change about her art projects? How does that go?
10. How does her mother tell the story of Jean's adoption?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)