|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the sorcerer's ravens?
(a) Faith, Hope, and Charity.
(b) Fate and Destiny.
(c) Each one was one of the seven deadly sins.
(d) Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
2. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
(a) She is leaving the church.
(b) She does not have a demon.
(c) She doubts it will work.
(d) They are the ones with the problem.
3. What does Jean say was a big problem looking at history after the second world war?
(a) The need to generate new stories.
(b) Not a large enough bowl.
(d) Too many ingrediants.
4. Why does Jean say her mother has always given her problems?
(a) She has her own agenda.
(b) She is hypocritical.
(c) She has faith above all else.
(d) She is enlightened and reactionary at the same time.
5. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
(a) She learns the sorcerer is not evil.
(b) She grows very powerful.
(c) She forgot who she was and how she came to be there.
(d) She realizes she was born for this life.
6. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
(a) All of the above.
(c) Make love.
(d) Drink brandy.
7. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
(a) She is nervous about what would happen if they found out.
(b) She feels safe and there was nowhere she'd rather be.
(c) She feels stifled and nervous.
(d) She feels like she is untouchable.
8. What was the Awful Occasion?
(a) The day Melanie left Jean.
(b) The time Jean's parents nearly separated.
(c) When Jean first realized she was involved in "unnatural passions".
(d) The time Jean's real mother came to claim her.
9. What advice is Jean trying to give us at the end of the chapter titled Deuteronomy?
(a) Eat healthy food.
(b) There is not difference between fact and fiction.
(c) Forget believing stories.
(d) Don't rely on other's interpretations of stories.
10. Who does Jean meet during a tent mission in Blackpool?
(a) An orange demon.
(b) A professor from Oxford.
(c) A methodist minister.
(d) A new friend called Katy.
11. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
(a) Dispose of it.
(b) Write about it.
(c) Study it.
(d) Define it as truth.
12. How intent is Jean on becoming a missionary?
(a) She doesn't want to.
(b) She would like to, but the church won't let her.
(c) It is her life mission.
(d) She wants to enroll in missionary school as a way to stay with the church.
13. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
(a) Loving each other with a love reserved for man and wife.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Falling under Satan's spell.
(d) Not loving God.
14. What is Jean's role in the church after she is accused and repents?
(a) She is encouraged to preach about her own experience.
(b) She no longer is allowed to preach.
(c) She is looked at with joy as the prodigal daughter.
(d) Unchanged. She still preaches.
15. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) A religious text.
(b) Fairy tales.
(c) Our own personal past.
(d) A string full of knots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
2. What must explorers bring back?
3. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
4. Which of the following best describes the attitude of Jean's mother when Jean comes back for a visit?
5. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)