|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
(a) Jean's mom finds their letters.
(b) They forgot to lock their door and someone looked in while they were in bed.
(c) Jean announces their love to the whole congregation.
(d) Katy confesses everything to the pastor.
2. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
(a) Jean spends the night at her side in the funeral parlor.
(b) Jean visits her in the hospital early in the morning so she won't run into anyone.
(c) Elsie comes out to her ice cream truck to tell Jean she' dying.
(d) The church holds a wake for Elsie and Jean attends.
3. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
(a) She grows very powerful.
(b) She forgot who she was and how she came to be there.
(c) She learns the sorcerer is not evil.
(d) She realizes she was born for this life.
4. What are the names of the sorcerer's ravens?
(a) Faith, Hope, and Charity.
(b) Each one was one of the seven deadly sins.
(c) Fate and Destiny.
(d) Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
5. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
(a) As much as she could, but not everything.
(b) She hides the friendship entirely.
(c) She naively tells her absolutely everything.
(d) She only tells things that are absolutely necessary.
6. What does the pastor tell Jean when they run into each other?
(a) That Melanie never loved her.
(b) That the church missed her and her energy.
(c) That he had handled the situation poorly.
(d) The church was better without her.
7. Where does Winnet meet the sorcerer?
(a) He appears to her in dreams.
(b) Traveling through a forest.
(c) In a town festival.
(d) Near the river behind her home.
8. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
(a) Make your own sandwiches.
(b) Try not sinking them into history.
(c) Stay out of other people's stories.
(d) Don't be curious.
9. What does the sorcerer do for Winnet to help her feel safe dining with him?
(a) He tells her details of her own life.
(b) He tells her his name.
(c) He draws a chalk circle with a little gap in it for her to step into and then close.
(d) He gives her the source of his power.
10. What is the competition the sorcerer and Winnet use to determine her future?
(a) The trust of a child.
(b) Poetry recital.
(d) Skipping stones.
11. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(a) True love.
(b) Absolute truth.
(d) Purity of emotion.
12. What does Winnet do for the boy?
(a) Tells him to deny her and blame her to the sorcerer so he can be free.
(b) Defends him to the sorcerer.
(c) She sets him free from his cell.
(d) All the above.
13. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
(b) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(c) Challenges him to a duel.
(d) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
14. What does Jean's mother call Jean's romantic love for another woman?
(a) Intentionally mocking her.
(c) Aping men.
15. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
(a) Katy was Jean's proof that she was over women.
(b) They were close friends in the church.
(c) Katy was her most uncomplicated love affair.
(d) Jean had a crush on Katy for years but denied it to herself and everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
2. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
3. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
4. What does Jean's mother say of Jean's sexuality?
5. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)