|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jean's mother's response to the news about Jean's sexuality?
(a) She demands Jean leave immediately for missionary school.
(b) She tells Jean they will always be family no matter what she does.
(c) She confesses her own affair with another woman.
(d) She breaks every plate in the house and calls the pastor.
2. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) Fairy tales.
(b) A string full of knots.
(c) Our own personal past.
(d) A religious text.
3. Where does Winnet meet the sorcerer?
(a) Near the river behind her home.
(b) He appears to her in dreams.
(c) In a town festival.
(d) Traveling through a forest.
4. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
(a) To see the big city.
(b) Morecambe guest house.
(c) Away to college.
(d) To Katy's parents.
5. What does Jean call treating the past with objective respect?
(a) A sham.
(b) The only path to self awareness.
(c) An idiot's pursuit.
(d) Absolutely necessary.
6. Who does Jean find when she returns home after being accused at church?
(a) Her biological mother.
(b) Melanie's parents.
(d) The pastor and a group of elders from the church.
7. Which of the following best characterizes a belief held by Jean's mother?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Everyone had a choice to be saved or fall to the devil.
(c) Everyone made themself and people what they wanted.
(d) Jean's sexuality was a wilfull act to sell her soul.
8. What does Jean envision her mother wishing for as she waits in her room?
(a) A tearful reunion of the two of them.
(b) To not have children.
(c) To be transported by God away from the world.
(d) Her and her room to go up in flames while the house remained untouched.
9. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
(a) In the city of Lost Chances.
(b) All of the above.
(c) With everyone who can't make the ultimate decision.
(d) In a bookshop.
10. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(b) Jean's father.
(c) Mrs Arkwright.
11. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
(a) She is overwhelmed with longing.
(b) She feels nothing.
(c) She is repulsed by the thought.
(d) She feels close to God.
12. According to the chapter, Deuteronomy, what is time?
(a) A thief.
(b) An unfair tyrant.
(c) The bringer of justice.
(d) A great deadener.
13. What does the pastor identify as the root cause of the problem with Jean?
(a) Jean's father was not a strong enough character.
(b) The church had allowed women too much power in preaching.
(c) Jean was too wilful and not dedicated enough to following the law of the lord.
(d) Jean was weak.
14. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
(b) Drink brandy.
(c) Make love.
(d) All of the above.
15. What do people do that Jean thinks is folly?
(a) Attach themselves to other people.
(b) Stop changing how they see the world.
(c) Separate story telling from history.
(d) Define the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
2. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
3. What was the Awful Occasion?
4. How does Jean characterize a story heard from various perspectives?
5. Who does Jean meet during a tent mission in Blackpool?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)