|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Challenges him to a duel.
(b) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(c) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
(d) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
2. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
(a) Jean had a crush on Katy for years but denied it to herself and everyone.
(b) Katy was her most uncomplicated love affair.
(c) They were close friends in the church.
(d) Katy was Jean's proof that she was over women.
3. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(b) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
(c) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
(d) All the above.
4. What does the sorcerer do for Winnet to help her feel safe dining with him?
(a) He gives her the source of his power.
(b) He tells her details of her own life.
(c) He tells her his name.
(d) He draws a chalk circle with a little gap in it for her to step into and then close.
5. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
(a) To Katy's parents.
(b) To see the big city.
(c) Away to college.
(d) Morecambe guest house.
6. Where does Jean go right after repenting and being released from her lockdown?
(a) To the top of the hill to think alone.
(b) To church to pray.
(c) To find Melanie.
(d) To the employment office to be able to move.
7. Why does Jean say her mother has always given her problems?
(a) She has her own agenda.
(b) She has faith above all else.
(c) She is hypocritical.
(d) She is enlightened and reactionary at the same time.
8. What does Jean's mother say of Jean's sexuality?
(a) It was because her father was indecisive.
(b) She was hopelessly lost to God.
(c) She brought evil into the church.
(d) It was bad genes.
9. How is this fifth chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT best characterized?
(a) Spiritual and Godly.
(b) Symbolic and metaphorical.
(c) Cautionary and paranoid.
(d) Simple and straightforward.
10. What does Jean's mother call Jean's romantic love for another woman?
(b) Aping men.
(c) Intentionally mocking her.
11. What instructions does the pastor give Jean after she refuses to repent?
(a) To ask God for guidance.
(b) To leave the community.
(c) To go home and wait for them.
(d) To recognize the devil.
12. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
(a) She will find herself destroyed by grief.
(b) The sorcerer will torment her.
(c) She will lose her power.
(d) She will be protected by the people that have always known her.
13. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
(a) Unchanged from usual.
(b) Supportive and loving.
(c) Tense and awkward.
(d) Solid guidance.
14. What is the first thing that happens in the chapter titled Judges?
(a) Jean packs for missionary school.
(b) Jean confesses her sexuality to the pastor.
(c) Jean announces her sexuality to the congregation.
(d) Jean's mother tells her to move out.
15. What does Jean call treating the past with objective respect?
(a) Absolutely necessary.
(b) An idiot's pursuit.
(c) A sham.
(d) The only path to self awareness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
2. Who does Jean find when she returns home after being accused at church?
3. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
4. What is Jean's mother's response to the news about Jean's sexuality?
5. What does Jean compare history to?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)