|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sorcerer do for Winnet to help her feel safe dining with him?
(a) He tells her details of her own life.
(b) He draws a chalk circle with a little gap in it for her to step into and then close.
(c) He gives her the source of his power.
(d) He tells her his name.
2. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
(b) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(c) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(d) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
3. Who does Jean meet during a tent mission in Blackpool?
(a) An orange demon.
(b) A methodist minister.
(c) A new friend called Katy.
(d) A professor from Oxford.
4. How is this fifth chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT best characterized?
(a) Cautionary and paranoid.
(b) Symbolic and metaphorical.
(c) Spiritual and Godly.
(d) Simple and straightforward.
5. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
(a) She feels nothing.
(b) She is repulsed by the thought.
(c) She feels close to God.
(d) She is overwhelmed with longing.
6. What must explorers bring back?
(a) A new history to write.
(b) A memory and a story.
(c) A new way to see history.
(d) Potatoes or tobacco or gold.
7. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) A religious text.
(b) Our own personal past.
(c) A string full of knots.
(d) Fairy tales.
8. Which of the following is a belief held by Jean's mother?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Preaching is a man's role and innappropriate for women.
(c) Jean's "demon" stemmed from her inability to realize the limitations of her sex.
(d) Women have important missionary work.
9. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
(a) She learns the sorcerer is not evil.
(b) She grows very powerful.
(c) She realizes she was born for this life.
(d) She forgot who she was and how she came to be there.
10. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
(a) She does not have a demon.
(b) They are the ones with the problem.
(c) She is leaving the church.
(d) She doubts it will work.
11. What opinion of many has history changed since the Pilgrim fathers first set sail?
(a) That they were crazy.
(b) None of the above.
(c) That the known is better than the unknown.
(d) That they would circumvent the globe.
12. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
(a) Another sorcerer.
(b) A stranger from another land.
(c) The sorcerer's other apprentice.
(d) A boy from the village.
13. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
(a) Define it as truth.
(b) Write about it.
(c) Dispose of it.
(d) Study it.
14. What advice is Jean trying to give us at the end of the chapter titled Deuteronomy?
(a) There is not difference between fact and fiction.
(b) Forget believing stories.
(c) Eat healthy food.
(d) Don't rely on other's interpretations of stories.
15. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
(a) He lives in a derelict railway station with a video of trains.
(b) He is the original living dead.
(c) He surrounds himself with dead things.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
2. What does Jean tell the church?
3. What does Jean say about the curious?
4. What matters when looking at the past?
5. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)