|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
(a) Jean spends the night at her side in the funeral parlor.
(b) Jean visits her in the hospital early in the morning so she won't run into anyone.
(c) Elsie comes out to her ice cream truck to tell Jean she' dying.
(d) The church holds a wake for Elsie and Jean attends.
2. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(b) All the above.
(c) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
(d) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
3. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) A religious text.
(b) Our own personal past.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) A string full of knots.
4. What is Jean's mother's response to the news about Jean's sexuality?
(a) She breaks every plate in the house and calls the pastor.
(b) She confesses her own affair with another woman.
(c) She tells Jean they will always be family no matter what she does.
(d) She demands Jean leave immediately for missionary school.
5. How does Jean characterize a story heard from various perspectives?
(a) A sandwich laced with mustard of her own.
(b) A seamless wonder.
(c) A stew with various ingrediants.
(d) A vegetable and cream, pureed together.
6. How intent is Jean on becoming a missionary?
(a) She doesn't want to.
(b) She would like to, but the church won't let her.
(c) It is her life mission.
(d) She wants to enroll in missionary school as a way to stay with the church.
7. Which of the following best describes the attitude of Jean's mother when Jean comes back for a visit?
(a) Irate and vindictive.
(b) Superior and distant.
(c) So casual Jean wonders if she realized she had been gone.
(d) Happy to see her.
8. Where does Jean go after being accused at church?
(a) To the market where she met Melanie.
(b) To the top of the hill.
(c) To Mrs. Jewsbury's.
(d) Straight home.
9. What happens to Winnet after she leaves the sorcerer?
(a) All the above.
(b) She never learns to talk the way the villagers do, even though she wants to.
(c) She is taken in by a villager who is kind to her.
(d) She hears of a beautiful city and decides to go there.
10. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
(a) She will lose her power.
(b) She will find herself destroyed by grief.
(c) She will be protected by the people that have always known her.
(d) The sorcerer will torment her.
11. Where does Jean go right after repenting and being released from her lockdown?
(a) To the top of the hill to think alone.
(b) To find Melanie.
(c) To church to pray.
(d) To the employment office to be able to move.
12. What instructions does the pastor give Jean after she refuses to repent?
(a) To recognize the devil.
(b) To ask God for guidance.
(c) To go home and wait for them.
(d) To leave the community.
13. What is the first thing that happens in the chapter titled Judges?
(a) Jean packs for missionary school.
(b) Jean's mother tells her to move out.
(c) Jean announces her sexuality to the congregation.
(d) Jean confesses her sexuality to the pastor.
14. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
(a) She is leaving the church.
(b) They are the ones with the problem.
(c) She does not have a demon.
(d) She doubts it will work.
15. What does Jean say about the curious?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They are always in some danger.
(c) They are the engine of the world.
(d) They look outward to not look in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
2. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
3. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
4. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
5. What must explorers bring back?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)