|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
(a) An orange demon.
(d) The pastor.
2. What does the sorcerer want of Winnet?
(a) To convince the townspeople to trust him.
(b) To be his daughter.
(c) To be his apprentice.
(d) To carry a message for him.
3. What does Jean's mother call Jean's romantic love for another woman?
(c) Intentionally mocking her.
(d) Aping men.
4. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
(a) How suited Jean would be to be a missionary.
(b) The best way to exorcise demons.
(c) If Jean can still preach at church.
(d) Whether Jean is a wicked person or unfortunate victim.
5. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
(a) Not loving God.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Falling under Satan's spell.
(d) Loving each other with a love reserved for man and wife.
6. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
(a) He surrounds himself with dead things.
(b) All of the above.
(c) He lives in a derelict railway station with a video of trains.
(d) He is the original living dead.
7. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
(a) Another sorcerer.
(b) A boy from the village.
(c) A stranger from another land.
(d) The sorcerer's other apprentice.
8. What is the competition the sorcerer and Winnet use to determine her future?
(a) Skipping stones.
(b) The trust of a child.
(d) Poetry recital.
9. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
(a) She only tells things that are absolutely necessary.
(b) She naively tells her absolutely everything.
(c) She hides the friendship entirely.
(d) As much as she could, but not everything.
10. Who knew about Jean and Melanie and tried to help them?
(a) The shoolmaster.
(c) Melainie's mother.
(d) Jean's father.
11. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
(a) She feels close to God.
(b) She is overwhelmed with longing.
(c) She is repulsed by the thought.
(d) She feels nothing.
12. What does the pastor identify as the root cause of the problem with Jean?
(a) Jean was too wilful and not dedicated enough to following the law of the lord.
(b) Jean was weak.
(c) Jean's father was not a strong enough character.
(d) The church had allowed women too much power in preaching.
13. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
(a) She lied about where she was.
(b) Her mother approved of the friendship.
(c) Nobody cared about her whereabouts.
(d) The church group often slept at each other's homes.
14. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
(a) Dispose of it.
(b) Write about it.
(c) Define it as truth.
(d) Study it.
15. Who does Jean find when she returns home after being accused at church?
(a) The pastor and a group of elders from the church.
(c) Melanie's parents.
(d) Her biological mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a belief held by Jean's mother?
2. What does the sorcerer do for Winnet to help her feel safe dining with him?
3. What matters when looking at the past?
4. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
5. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean sees the past?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)