|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
(a) She will be protected by the people that have always known her.
(b) She will lose her power.
(c) She will find herself destroyed by grief.
(d) The sorcerer will torment her.
2. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(a) Absolute truth.
(b) Purity of emotion.
(c) True love.
3. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
(a) He surrounds himself with dead things.
(b) He lives in a derelict railway station with a video of trains.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He is the original living dead.
4. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
(a) Study it.
(b) Write about it.
(c) Dispose of it.
(d) Define it as truth.
5. What opinion of many has history changed since the Pilgrim fathers first set sail?
(a) That the known is better than the unknown.
(b) That they were crazy.
(c) That they would circumvent the globe.
(d) None of the above.
6. According to the chapter, Deuteronomy, what is time?
(a) A great deadener.
(b) The bringer of justice.
(c) An unfair tyrant.
(d) A thief.
7. According to Jean, what do people often use history for?
(a) A way of denying the past.
(b) To keep busy looking at something other than the present.
(c) To not feel lost.
(d) A way of defining self.
8. What do people do when they tell stories?
(a) Convince themselves.
(b) Bring perspective.
(c) Spread the truth.
(d) Make them what they will.
9. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean sees the past?
(b) A tool.
(c) A parable.
10. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
(a) They are the ones with the problem.
(b) She does not have a demon.
(c) She doubts it will work.
(d) She is leaving the church.
11. What does Jean's mother say of Jean's sexuality?
(a) It was bad genes.
(b) She brought evil into the church.
(c) She was hopelessly lost to God.
(d) It was because her father was indecisive.
12. What does Jean's visitor tell her while she is locked in?
(a) If she ignores this issue, she'll end up in pieces.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Demons aren't evil, just different.
(d) She shouldn't believe everything she reads in the Bible.
13. What are the names of the sorcerer's ravens?
(a) Fate and Destiny.
(b) Faith, Hope, and Charity.
(c) Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
(d) Each one was one of the seven deadly sins.
14. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) None until the sermon itself.
(b) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
(c) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
(d) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
15. What do people do that Jean thinks is folly?
(a) Separate story telling from history.
(b) Attach themselves to other people.
(c) Stop changing how they see the world.
(d) Define the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sorcerer do for Winnet to help her feel safe dining with him?
2. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
3. What does Jean say about the curious?
4. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
5. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)