|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean feel when she looks at a history book?
(a) She is astonished at the imaginative effort.
(b) None of the above.
(c) She is repulsed by the pretention.
(d) She is curious about the new story.
2. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
(a) She naively tells her absolutely everything.
(b) She only tells things that are absolutely necessary.
(c) She hides the friendship entirely.
(d) As much as she could, but not everything.
3. What happens to Winnet after she leaves the sorcerer?
(a) All the above.
(b) She is taken in by a villager who is kind to her.
(c) She hears of a beautiful city and decides to go there.
(d) She never learns to talk the way the villagers do, even though she wants to.
4. What does Jean call treating the past with objective respect?
(a) A sham.
(b) The only path to self awareness.
(c) An idiot's pursuit.
(d) Absolutely necessary.
5. What do people do when they tell stories?
(a) Make them what they will.
(b) Convince themselves.
(c) Bring perspective.
(d) Spread the truth.
6. What does Jean's visitor tell her while she is locked in?
(a) If she ignores this issue, she'll end up in pieces.
(b) Demons aren't evil, just different.
(c) All of the above.
(d) She shouldn't believe everything she reads in the Bible.
7. What does Jean say about the curious?
(a) They look outward to not look in.
(b) They are always in some danger.
(c) They are the engine of the world.
(d) They are blind.
8. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(b) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
(c) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
(d) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
9. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(a) Absolute truth.
(b) Purity of emotion.
(d) True love.
10. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
(a) With everyone who can't make the ultimate decision.
(b) In a bookshop.
(c) In the city of Lost Chances.
(d) All of the above.
11. What are the names of the sorcerer's ravens?
(a) Each one was one of the seven deadly sins.
(b) Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
(c) Fate and Destiny.
(d) Faith, Hope, and Charity.
12. How is this fifth chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT best characterized?
(a) Simple and straightforward.
(b) Spiritual and Godly.
(c) Cautionary and paranoid.
(d) Symbolic and metaphorical.
13. What matters when looking at the past?
(a) What curio you are holding.
(b) That order is seen to prevail.
(c) What you want to see.
14. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
(b) All of the above.
(c) Make love.
(d) Drink brandy.
15. What does Jean's mother say of Jean's sexuality?
(a) She brought evil into the church.
(b) It was bad genes.
(c) It was because her father was indecisive.
(d) She was hopelessly lost to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Awful Occasion?
2. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
3. When Jean does not repent for the pastor, what does he tell Jean's mother to do?
4. What does Jean compare history to?
5. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)