|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jean, what do people often use history for?
(a) A way of denying the past.
(b) To keep busy looking at something other than the present.
(c) A way of defining self.
(d) To not feel lost.
2. What is Winnet's punishment from the sorcerer?
(a) She has to watch the boy marry and raise a family with another girl.
(b) She is made to forget everyone she loves.
(c) She has to leave, or tend the goats if she stays.
(d) She is turned into a raven.
3. Which of the following best characterizes a belief held by Jean's mother?
(a) Jean's sexuality was a wilfull act to sell her soul.
(b) Everyone had a choice to be saved or fall to the devil.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Everyone made themself and people what they wanted.
4. What does Jean say about the past?
(a) The lens to see it can be tinted and tilted and smashed.
(b) It is only malleable where once it was flexible.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Once it could change its mind, now it can only undergo change.
5. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
(d) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
6. What is the first thing that happens in the chapter titled Judges?
(a) Jean confesses her sexuality to the pastor.
(b) Jean's mother tells her to move out.
(c) Jean packs for missionary school.
(d) Jean announces her sexuality to the congregation.
7. Where does Jean go after being accused at church?
(a) Straight home.
(b) To the market where she met Melanie.
(c) To the top of the hill.
(d) To Mrs. Jewsbury's.
8. What matters when looking at the past?
(a) What curio you are holding.
(b) What you want to see.
(c) That order is seen to prevail.
9. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
(b) None until the sermon itself.
(c) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
(d) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
10. What does Jean say about the curious?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They look outward to not look in.
(c) They are the engine of the world.
(d) They are always in some danger.
11. What was the Awful Occasion?
(a) The time Jean's parents nearly separated.
(b) When Jean first realized she was involved in "unnatural passions".
(c) The day Melanie left Jean.
(d) The time Jean's real mother came to claim her.
12. What instructions does the pastor give Jean after she refuses to repent?
(a) To recognize the devil.
(b) To go home and wait for them.
(c) To leave the community.
(d) To ask God for guidance.
13. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
(a) A boy from the village.
(b) A stranger from another land.
(c) Another sorcerer.
(d) The sorcerer's other apprentice.
14. What do people do that Jean thinks is folly?
(a) Attach themselves to other people.
(b) Define the world.
(c) Stop changing how they see the world.
(d) Separate story telling from history.
15. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
(a) She forgot who she was and how she came to be there.
(b) She grows very powerful.
(c) She learns the sorcerer is not evil.
(d) She realizes she was born for this life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chapter, Deuteronomy, what is time?
2. Who knew about Jean and Melanie and tried to help them?
3. When Jean does not repent for the pastor, what does he tell Jean's mother to do?
4. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
5. After her visitor, what does Jean announce she is ready to do?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)