|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(b) Jean's father.
(d) Mrs Arkwright.
2. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
(a) Jean announces their love to the whole congregation.
(b) Katy confesses everything to the pastor.
(c) They forgot to lock their door and someone looked in while they were in bed.
(d) Jean's mom finds their letters.
3. What is Jean's role in the church after she is accused and repents?
(a) Unchanged. She still preaches.
(b) She is encouraged to preach about her own experience.
(c) She no longer is allowed to preach.
(d) She is looked at with joy as the prodigal daughter.
4. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
(a) She feels stifled and nervous.
(b) She is nervous about what would happen if they found out.
(c) She feels like she is untouchable.
(d) She feels safe and there was nowhere she'd rather be.
5. After her visitor, what does Jean announce she is ready to do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Never see Melanie again.
(c) Move out.
6. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(b) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(c) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
(d) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
7. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
(a) He is the original living dead.
(b) He surrounds himself with dead things.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He lives in a derelict railway station with a video of trains.
8. What does Jean compare history to?
(a) Fairy tales.
(b) Our own personal past.
(c) A string full of knots.
(d) A religious text.
9. Where does Winnet meet the sorcerer?
(a) Traveling through a forest.
(b) He appears to her in dreams.
(c) In a town festival.
(d) Near the river behind her home.
10. Why does Jean say her mother has always given her problems?
(a) She has faith above all else.
(b) She is enlightened and reactionary at the same time.
(c) She is hypocritical.
(d) She has her own agenda.
11. What does Jean call treating the past with objective respect?
(a) An idiot's pursuit.
(b) The only path to self awareness.
(c) A sham.
(d) Absolutely necessary.
12. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city?
(a) Push her boat out alone into an immense sea she was afraid of.
(b) Leave everything she knows.
(c) Learn the ways of boat builders.
(d) All the above.
13. How does Jean characterize uncertainty to her?
(a) Like not having God.
(b) Like being blindfolded.
(c) Like being in a valley - having to choose a direction with no view.
(d) Like an aardvark - recognizable but unfamiliar.
14. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean sees the past?
(a) A tool.
(b) A parable.
15. What does the sorcerer want of Winnet?
(a) To be his daughter.
(b) To convince the townspeople to trust him.
(c) To be his apprentice.
(d) To carry a message for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
2. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
3. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
4. What does Jean find out one day driving the ice cream truck?
5. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)