|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) None until the sermon itself.
(b) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
(c) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
(d) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
2. Where does Jean go right after repenting and being released from her lockdown?
(a) To the top of the hill to think alone.
(b) To church to pray.
(c) To the employment office to be able to move.
(d) To find Melanie.
3. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(d) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
4. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
(a) With everyone who can't make the ultimate decision.
(b) In the city of Lost Chances.
(c) All of the above.
(d) In a bookshop.
5. What are Jean and Melanie accused of during the sermon?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Loving each other with a love reserved for man and wife.
(c) Not loving God.
(d) Falling under Satan's spell.
6. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
(a) The pastor.
(b) An orange demon.
7. What does Jean find out one day driving the ice cream truck?
(a) Elsie died.
(b) The church has more members than ever.
(c) Her mother had cried for days when she left.
(d) The pastor speaks of her all the time as a warning.
8. What opinion of many has history changed since the Pilgrim fathers first set sail?
(a) That they were crazy.
(b) That they would circumvent the globe.
(c) None of the above.
(d) That the known is better than the unknown.
9. What does Winnet do for the boy?
(a) Tells him to deny her and blame her to the sorcerer so he can be free.
(b) Defends him to the sorcerer.
(c) She sets him free from his cell.
(d) All the above.
10. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
(b) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(c) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
(d) All the above.
11. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city?
(a) All the above.
(b) Learn the ways of boat builders.
(c) Leave everything she knows.
(d) Push her boat out alone into an immense sea she was afraid of.
12. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(b) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
(c) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
(d) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
13. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(b) Purity of emotion.
(c) True love.
(d) Absolute truth.
14. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(a) Jean's father.
(b) Mrs Arkwright.
15. What do people do that Jean thinks is folly?
(a) Separate story telling from history.
(b) Stop changing how they see the world.
(c) Attach themselves to other people.
(d) Define the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
2. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
3. Why does Jean say her mother has always given her problems?
4. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
5. Who is the boy Winnet makes friends with?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)