|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
(a) She feels stifled and nervous.
(b) She is nervous about what would happen if they found out.
(c) She feels safe and there was nowhere she'd rather be.
(d) She feels like she is untouchable.
2. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
(a) She doubts it will work.
(b) She is leaving the church.
(c) She does not have a demon.
(d) They are the ones with the problem.
3. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(b) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
(c) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(d) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
4. What is the first thing that happens in the chapter titled Judges?
(a) Jean packs for missionary school.
(b) Jean confesses her sexuality to the pastor.
(c) Jean announces her sexuality to the congregation.
(d) Jean's mother tells her to move out.
5. How does Jean characterize uncertainty to her?
(a) Like an aardvark - recognizable but unfamiliar.
(b) Like being in a valley - having to choose a direction with no view.
(c) Like being blindfolded.
(d) Like not having God.
6. What does Jean feel when she looks at a history book?
(a) She is repulsed by the pretention.
(b) She is curious about the new story.
(c) She is astonished at the imaginative effort.
(d) None of the above.
7. In general terms, what is the chapter Deuteronomy about?
(a) How people see the past.
(b) The importance of being curious.
(c) The importance of having stories.
(d) How to choose what you should believe.
8. What does the sorcerer want of Winnet?
(a) To carry a message for him.
(b) To be his apprentice.
(c) To convince the townspeople to trust him.
(d) To be his daughter.
9. What is Jean's role in the church after she is accused and repents?
(a) She is encouraged to preach about her own experience.
(b) She is looked at with joy as the prodigal daughter.
(c) Unchanged. She still preaches.
(d) She no longer is allowed to preach.
10. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
(a) He lives in a derelict railway station with a video of trains.
(b) He is the original living dead.
(c) He surrounds himself with dead things.
(d) All of the above.
11. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
(a) "from whom much has been given, much is expected"
(b) The prayer of St Francis.
(c) The queen announcing "either you or your head must be off!"
(d) The old saying "love conquers all"
12. Who tries to help Jean after she is accused by the pastor?
(b) Jean's father.
(c) Mrs. Jewsbury.
(d) Jean's mother.
13. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
(a) She is overwhelmed with longing.
(b) She is repulsed by the thought.
(c) She feels close to God.
(d) She feels nothing.
14. What must Winnet do to reach the beautiful city?
(a) Learn the ways of boat builders.
(b) Leave everything she knows.
(c) Push her boat out alone into an immense sea she was afraid of.
(d) All the above.
15. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
(d) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What matters when looking at the past?
2. What does Jean's mother say of Jean's sexuality?
3. How does Jean characterize a story heard from various perspectives?
4. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
5. What does Jean's visitor tell her while she is locked in?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)