|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
(a) Her mother approved of the friendship.
(b) She lied about where she was.
(c) Nobody cared about her whereabouts.
(d) The church group often slept at each other's homes.
2. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(b) True love.
(c) Purity of emotion.
(d) Absolute truth.
3. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
(a) She naively tells her absolutely everything.
(b) She hides the friendship entirely.
(c) She only tells things that are absolutely necessary.
(d) As much as she could, but not everything.
4. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
(a) Stay out of other people's stories.
(b) Try not sinking them into history.
(c) Make your own sandwiches.
(d) Don't be curious.
5. Where does Winnet meet the sorcerer?
(a) Traveling through a forest.
(b) In a town festival.
(c) He appears to her in dreams.
(d) Near the river behind her home.
6. What do people do that Jean thinks is folly?
(a) Define the world.
(b) Separate story telling from history.
(c) Stop changing how they see the world.
(d) Attach themselves to other people.
7. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(a) Jean's father.
(d) Mrs Arkwright.
8. What does Jean call treating the past with objective respect?
(a) An idiot's pursuit.
(b) The only path to self awareness.
(c) Absolutely necessary.
(d) A sham.
9. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
(b) None until the sermon itself.
(c) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
(d) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
10. Where does Jean go after being accused at church?
(a) Straight home.
(b) To Mrs. Jewsbury's.
(c) To the top of the hill.
(d) To the market where she met Melanie.
11. When Jean does not repent for the pastor, what does he tell Jean's mother to do?
(a) Supervise her at all times.
(b) Kick her out of the house.
(c) Pray continuously for her.
(d) Lock Jean in her room and not feed her.
12. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
(a) Make love.
(b) All of the above.
(d) Drink brandy.
13. What does Jean find out one day driving the ice cream truck?
(a) The church has more members than ever.
(b) Her mother had cried for days when she left.
(c) The pastor speaks of her all the time as a warning.
(d) Elsie died.
14. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
(a) All of the above.
(b) In the city of Lost Chances.
(c) With everyone who can't make the ultimate decision.
(d) In a bookshop.
15. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
(d) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pastor tell Jean when they run into each other?
2. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
3. Which of the following is a belief held by Jean's mother?
4. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
5. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)