|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean feel when she looks at a history book?
(a) She is curious about the new story.
(b) None of the above.
(c) She is repulsed by the pretention.
(d) She is astonished at the imaginative effort.
2. Who does Jean meet during a tent mission in Blackpool?
(a) A professor from Oxford.
(b) A new friend called Katy.
(c) A methodist minister.
(d) An orange demon.
3. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
(a) Jean spends the night at her side in the funeral parlor.
(b) Elsie comes out to her ice cream truck to tell Jean she' dying.
(c) Jean visits her in the hospital early in the morning so she won't run into anyone.
(d) The church holds a wake for Elsie and Jean attends.
4. What is the first thing that happens in the chapter titled Judges?
(a) Jean announces her sexuality to the congregation.
(b) Jean packs for missionary school.
(c) Jean confesses her sexuality to the pastor.
(d) Jean's mother tells her to move out.
5. Who knew about Jean and Melanie and tried to help them?
(b) Jean's father.
(c) The shoolmaster.
(d) Melainie's mother.
6. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) None until the sermon itself.
(b) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
(c) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
(d) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
7. What does the pastor identify as the root cause of the problem with Jean?
(a) Jean was too wilful and not dedicated enough to following the law of the lord.
(b) The church had allowed women too much power in preaching.
(c) Jean was weak.
(d) Jean's father was not a strong enough character.
8. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
(a) How suited Jean would be to be a missionary.
(b) The best way to exorcise demons.
(c) If Jean can still preach at church.
(d) Whether Jean is a wicked person or unfortunate victim.
9. How does Jean characterize uncertainty to her?
(a) Like being in a valley - having to choose a direction with no view.
(b) Like being blindfolded.
(c) Like not having God.
(d) Like an aardvark - recognizable but unfamiliar.
10. According to the chapter, Deuteronomy, what is time?
(a) An unfair tyrant.
(b) A thief.
(c) A great deadener.
(d) The bringer of justice.
11. What does Jean say about things that are dead?
(a) They have all the admirable qualities of life.
(b) They don't have the tiresome messiness of live things.
(c) There is a certain seductiveness about them.
(d) All of the above.
12. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
(a) An orange demon.
(b) The pastor.
13. What does she advise you to do if you want to keep your own teeth?
(a) Stay out of other people's stories.
(b) Make your own sandwiches.
(c) Don't be curious.
(d) Try not sinking them into history.
14. According to Jean, what do people often use history for?
(a) To not feel lost.
(b) To keep busy looking at something other than the present.
(c) A way of denying the past.
(d) A way of defining self.
15. What do people do when they tell stories?
(a) Bring perspective.
(b) Convince themselves.
(c) Make them what they will.
(d) Spread the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How intent is Jean on becoming a missionary?
2. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
3. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
4. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
5. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)