|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean tell the church?
(a) Love is never a sin.
(b) She would always love women.
(c) Her love affair with Melanie never ended.
(d) She was weak and the demon repossessed her.
2. What does Jean say was a big problem looking at history after the second world war?
(a) The need to generate new stories.
(c) Not a large enough bowl.
(d) Too many ingrediants.
3. What must explorers bring back?
(a) A memory and a story.
(b) Potatoes or tobacco or gold.
(c) A new way to see history.
(d) A new history to write.
4. Where did Katy and Jean go together?
(a) To see the big city.
(b) Away to college.
(c) To Katy's parents.
(d) Morecambe guest house.
5. What is Jean's mother's response to the news about Jean's sexuality?
(a) She demands Jean leave immediately for missionary school.
(b) She tells Jean they will always be family no matter what she does.
(c) She breaks every plate in the house and calls the pastor.
(d) She confesses her own affair with another woman.
6. What happens to Winnet after she leaves the sorcerer?
(a) She hears of a beautiful city and decides to go there.
(b) She never learns to talk the way the villagers do, even though she wants to.
(c) All the above.
(d) She is taken in by a villager who is kind to her.
7. What does Jean say about the past?
(a) All of the above.
(b) It is only malleable where once it was flexible.
(c) The lens to see it can be tinted and tilted and smashed.
(d) Once it could change its mind, now it can only undergo change.
8. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
(a) The old saying "love conquers all"
(b) "from whom much has been given, much is expected"
(c) The queen announcing "either you or your head must be off!"
(d) The prayer of St Francis.
9. Who does Jean find when she returns home after being accused at church?
(a) Melanie's parents.
(b) Her biological mother.
(d) The pastor and a group of elders from the church.
10. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
(a) Blames him for spoiling Winnet and casts him out.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Ridicules him in front of Winnet.
(d) Makes him a stronger sorcerer than Winnet.
11. What advice is Jean trying to give us at the end of the chapter titled Deuteronomy?
(a) There is not difference between fact and fiction.
(b) Forget believing stories.
(c) Eat healthy food.
(d) Don't rely on other's interpretations of stories.
12. What does Jean's visitor tell her while she is locked in?
(a) If she ignores this issue, she'll end up in pieces.
(b) She shouldn't believe everything she reads in the Bible.
(c) Demons aren't evil, just different.
(d) All of the above.
13. What does Jean call treating the past with objective respect?
(a) The only path to self awareness.
(b) Absolutely necessary.
(c) An idiot's pursuit.
(d) A sham.
14. How intent is Jean on becoming a missionary?
(a) It is her life mission.
(b) She wants to enroll in missionary school as a way to stay with the church.
(c) She would like to, but the church won't let her.
(d) She doesn't want to.
15. What does Jean find out one day driving the ice cream truck?
(a) Elsie died.
(b) Her mother had cried for days when she left.
(c) The pastor speaks of her all the time as a warning.
(d) The church has more members than ever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
2. What do people do that Jean thinks is folly?
3. What was Jean's relationship to Katy?
4. What is the competition the sorcerer and Winnet use to determine her future?
5. Where does Winnet meet the sorcerer?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)