|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(a) Purity of emotion.
(c) True love.
(d) Absolute truth.
2. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
(b) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
(c) None until the sermon itself.
(d) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
3. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean sees the past?
(a) A parable.
(c) A tool.
4. What does Winnet do for the boy?
(a) Defends him to the sorcerer.
(b) Tells him to deny her and blame her to the sorcerer so he can be free.
(c) She sets him free from his cell.
(d) All the above.
5. What does the sorcerer want of Winnet?
(a) To convince the townspeople to trust him.
(b) To be his daughter.
(c) To be his apprentice.
(d) To carry a message for him.
6. Who does Jean meet during a tent mission in Blackpool?
(a) A professor from Oxford.
(b) A new friend called Katy.
(c) An orange demon.
(d) A methodist minister.
7. What opinion of many has history changed since the Pilgrim fathers first set sail?
(a) None of the above.
(b) That they were crazy.
(c) That the known is better than the unknown.
(d) That they would circumvent the globe.
8. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
(a) The best way to exorcise demons.
(b) Whether Jean is a wicked person or unfortunate victim.
(c) How suited Jean would be to be a missionary.
(d) If Jean can still preach at church.
9. When the pastor and Jean's mother try to set up another exorcism, what does Jean say?
(a) She is leaving the church.
(b) They are the ones with the problem.
(c) She does not have a demon.
(d) She doubts it will work.
10. Who comes to visit Jean while she is locked in her room?
(a) An orange demon.
(d) The pastor.
11. What does Jean tell the church?
(a) She would always love women.
(b) She was weak and the demon repossessed her.
(c) Her love affair with Melanie never ended.
(d) Love is never a sin.
12. Where does Jean go after being accused at church?
(a) To the top of the hill.
(b) To Mrs. Jewsbury's.
(c) To the market where she met Melanie.
(d) Straight home.
13. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
(b) All the above.
(c) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(d) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
14. How intent is Jean on becoming a missionary?
(a) She would like to, but the church won't let her.
(b) It is her life mission.
(c) She doesn't want to.
(d) She wants to enroll in missionary school as a way to stay with the church.
15. What is Winnet's punishment from the sorcerer?
(a) She is made to forget everyone she loves.
(b) She has to leave, or tend the goats if she stays.
(c) She has to watch the boy marry and raise a family with another girl.
(d) She is turned into a raven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
2. How is this fifth chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT best characterized?
3. Which of the following best describes the attitude of Jean's mother when Jean comes back for a visit?
4. Where does Winnet meet the sorcerer?
5. What does the sorcerer do to the boy Winnet befriends?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)