|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jean, what cannot be found?
(b) Purity of emotion.
(c) True love.
(d) Absolute truth.
2. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) All the above.
(b) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(c) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
(d) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
3. What does the chapter titled Judges open with?
(a) The old saying "love conquers all"
(b) "from whom much has been given, much is expected"
(c) The queen announcing "either you or your head must be off!"
(d) The prayer of St Francis.
4. What does Jean say of the collector of curios?
(a) He lives in a derelict railway station with a video of trains.
(b) He surrounds himself with dead things.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He is the original living dead.
5. Which of the following best characterizes a belief held by Jean's mother?
(a) Jean's sexuality was a wilfull act to sell her soul.
(b) Everyone had a choice to be saved or fall to the devil.
(c) Everyone made themself and people what they wanted.
(d) All of the above.
6. Who talks to Jean and supports her when everyone else was accusing her?
(c) Mrs Arkwright.
(d) Jean's father.
7. What allows Jean to spend many nights with Melanie?
(a) Nobody cared about her whereabouts.
(b) She lied about where she was.
(c) The church group often slept at each other's homes.
(d) Her mother approved of the friendship.
8. How much warning do Jean and Melanie have of what will happen at church when they are separated?
(a) None until the sermon itself.
(b) Jean knows something is up and is nervous.
(c) Melanie knew and agreed to it, but Jean did not.
(d) Jean overheard her mother talking and knew it was coming.
9. After her visitor, what does Jean announce she is ready to do?
(b) Move out.
(c) Get married.
(d) Never see Melanie again.
10. What happens to Winnet at the sorcerer's castle?
(a) She grows very powerful.
(b) She learns the sorcerer is not evil.
(c) She realizes she was born for this life.
(d) She forgot who she was and how she came to be there.
11. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
(a) She naively tells her absolutely everything.
(b) As much as she could, but not everything.
(c) She hides the friendship entirely.
(d) She only tells things that are absolutely necessary.
12. What does Jean say people do with the past when it gets too difficult?
(a) Study it.
(b) Dispose of it.
(c) Define it as truth.
(d) Write about it.
13. What is the meeting of the Sisterhood like when Jean shows up after her second affair?
(a) Supportive and loving.
(b) Unchanged from usual.
(c) Solid guidance.
(d) Tense and awkward.
14. Which of the following best describes the attitude of Jean's mother when Jean comes back for a visit?
(a) Irate and vindictive.
(b) Superior and distant.
(c) So casual Jean wonders if she realized she had been gone.
(d) Happy to see her.
15. How does Jean characterize uncertainty to her?
(a) Like being in a valley - having to choose a direction with no view.
(b) Like an aardvark - recognizable but unfamiliar.
(c) Like not having God.
(d) Like being blindfolded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice is Jean trying to give us at the end of the chapter titled Deuteronomy?
2. What is Jean's role in the church after she is accused and repents?
3. How does Jean feel about her church before she is accused in the sermon?
4. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
5. What does Jean compare history to?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)