|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jean dream she is when she falls asleep?
(a) All of the above.
(b) In the city of Lost Chances.
(c) In a bookshop.
(d) With everyone who can't make the ultimate decision.
2. What is it like for Jean when Melanie visits and kisses her goodbye?
(a) She feels nothing.
(b) She is repulsed by the thought.
(c) She feels close to God.
(d) She is overwhelmed with longing.
3. What does the raven warn Winnet will happen if she stays in the place she loves?
(a) She will find herself destroyed by grief.
(b) She will lose her power.
(c) She will be protected by the people that have always known her.
(d) The sorcerer will torment her.
4. What does the pastor identify as the root cause of the problem with Jean?
(a) Jean was too wilful and not dedicated enough to following the law of the lord.
(b) Jean was weak.
(c) The church had allowed women too much power in preaching.
(d) Jean's father was not a strong enough character.
5. How are Jean and Katy discovered?
(a) They forgot to lock their door and someone looked in while they were in bed.
(b) Jean's mom finds their letters.
(c) Jean announces their love to the whole congregation.
(d) Katy confesses everything to the pastor.
6. What does Winnet do for the boy?
(a) All the above.
(b) She sets him free from his cell.
(c) Defends him to the sorcerer.
(d) Tells him to deny her and blame her to the sorcerer so he can be free.
7. Who does Jean say history is?
(a) St. George.
(b) A fickle lover.
(d) You image in a mirror.
8. How does Jean characterize a story heard from various perspectives?
(a) A vegetable and cream, pureed together.
(b) A seamless wonder.
(c) A sandwich laced with mustard of her own.
(d) A stew with various ingrediants.
9. What are the names of the sorcerer's ravens?
(a) Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
(b) Each one was one of the seven deadly sins.
(c) Fate and Destiny.
(d) Faith, Hope, and Charity.
10. How much does Jean tell her mother about Melanie?
(a) She naively tells her absolutely everything.
(b) She hides the friendship entirely.
(c) She only tells things that are absolutely necessary.
(d) As much as she could, but not everything.
11. After her visitor, what does Jean announce she is ready to do?
(a) Get married.
(c) Move out.
(d) Never see Melanie again.
12. When is the last time Jean sees Elsie?
(a) Elsie comes out to her ice cream truck to tell Jean she' dying.
(b) Jean visits her in the hospital early in the morning so she won't run into anyone.
(c) Jean spends the night at her side in the funeral parlor.
(d) The church holds a wake for Elsie and Jean attends.
13. What happens at Elsie's funeral?
(a) The man who runs the funeral home needs her help serving.
(b) The church group sees her at dessert and storms out.
(c) Jean tries to keep her presence unknown.
(d) All the above.
14. What does Jean's mother do after Jean has repented?
(a) Takes a more personal interest in Jean's day to day life.
(b) Tells her about her own affair with another woman.
(c) Signs Jean up for missionary school.
(d) Burns all the cards and pictures that would remind Jean of Melanie.
15. How is this fifth chapter of ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT best characterized?
(a) Simple and straightforward.
(b) Spiritual and Godly.
(c) Cautionary and paranoid.
(d) Symbolic and metaphorical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winnet's punishment from the sorcerer?
2. How intent is Jean on becoming a missionary?
3. What do Jean and Mrs. Jewsbury do after Jean is accused at church?
4. What do Jean's mother and the pastor argue about?
5. Which of the following is a belief held by Jean's mother?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)