|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who spends the most time with Jean in the hospital?
(a) Mrs Jewsbury.
(b) Jean's father, sent by her mother.
(c) Jean's mother, who even sleeps there.
2. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) She is not interested in getting married.
(b) She is totally flawless.
(c) The prince must come seek her hand.
(d) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
3. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) Cries for help.
(b) Pastor Spratt.
(c) A puppy.
(d) The voice of God.
4. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
(a) She makes friends with another misfit, but no one else.
(b) The teachers like her but the kids don't.
(c) She is an outcast and doesn't make any friends.
(d) Her wit and fearlessness make her an instant hit with the other kids.
5. What happens when the pastor talks about how full of spirit Jean is while he is preaching?
(a) Jean decides to stop feeding things to lions when she plays.
(b) Everyone notices Jeans lack of response and realize she's deaf.
(c) Her deafness and lack of a response convinces everyone of her modesty.
(d) Jean decides she is fit to become a missionary.
6. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
(a) They just don't think about it.
(b) Because they are sure they are holy.
(c) They don't know the normal boundaries of friendship.
(d) Because Pastor Finch says unnatural passions are awful.
7. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) All of the above.
(b) To take the dog.
(c) A new mac.
(d) A fish.
8. Who is Pastor Spratt?
(a) The elderly slightly senile pastor at church.
(b) The Pastor that converted Jean's mother and who she still devotedly follows.
(c) The founder of their church.
(d) The young, handsome pastor about to start preaching.
9. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she will never marry.
(b) That she is a child of God.
(c) That she does not know her real self.
(d) That she is destined for great works.
10. Which of the following best characterizes the information Jean gets from the other women regarding men and marriage?
(a) Direct and depressing.
(b) Vague and confusing.
(c) General and encouraging.
(d) Vulgar and humorous.
11. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
(a) Her mother tells her it is a symptom of the rapture.
(b) She tells her mom but can't hear her mother's answer.
(c) She tries to wait until her mother is undistracted but can't find a time.
(d) She writes "the world is very quiet" on a paper. Her mother nods and keeps reading a book.
12. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
(a) Shopping with her family.
(b) Cleaning fish.
13. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
(a) They are sent from God.
(b) They are not the only fruit.
(c) They keep you from getting sick.
(d) They are the only fruit.
14. What does Jean's mother have hung above her oven where she can see it often?
(a) The prayer of St. Francis.
(b) A picture of her and her husband on their wedding day.
(c) A watercolor of the Lord painted by Pastor Spratt.
(d) A picture of Jean.
15. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
(a) Has a lion from the ark eat it.
(b) Has it find God and start to pray.
(c) Makes it take over the ark.
(d) Drowns it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean pass the time she spends in the children's ward at the hospital?
2. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
3. What does Jean overhear her mother say about the people that invited her to the seashore?
4. What condition does Jean's mother insist on to let Jean go to the fair once a year?
5. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)