|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
(a) She is an outcast and doesn't make any friends.
(b) She makes friends with another misfit, but no one else.
(c) Her wit and fearlessness make her an instant hit with the other kids.
(d) The teachers like her but the kids don't.
2. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) Some empty tins.
(b) The creeps.
(c) Some oranges.
(d) A fever.
3. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) She is not interested in getting married.
(b) She is totally flawless.
(c) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
(d) The prince must come seek her hand.
4. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
(b) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
(c) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
(d) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
5. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
(a) Asks for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation.
(b) Throws up.
(c) Reluctantly agrees to come to another.
(d) Invites Jean out to lunch.
6. What important notion does Elsie impart to Jean?
(a) That we must tend the things we love.
(b) That she has to be her own person.
(c) That God is not always right.
(d) That there are two worlds, the physical and another.
7. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) A childhood friend.
(b) An old goose.
(c) An old crone.
(d) The Lord.
8. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
(a) The rest of the world does not like her church.
(b) Her church does not prepare her for the world.
(c) A thing is not a problem, and it's environment is not a problem, but the conjunction of the two can be.
(d) No one else in school is like her.
9. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she is destined for great works.
(b) That she does not know her real self.
(c) That she is a child of God.
(d) That she will never marry.
10. What does Jean overhear her mother say about the people that invited her to the seashore?
(a) They were unholy.
(b) They abducted children.
(c) They drank.
(d) They dealt in unnatural passions.
11. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
(a) Takes her to buy another one.
(b) Tapes it back on.
(c) Rips the other sleeve off and calls it a vest.
(d) Says she doesn't need a mac.
12. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) The owner heard her preach.
(b) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(c) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
(d) She applies behind her mother's back.
13. What was in the package that came from Wigan?
(a) A letter from Pierre.
(b) Jean's biological parents' information.
(c) Tickets to a cruise.
(d) None of the above.
14. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
(a) Her mother is a friend of Elsies and takes her.
(b) She wanders in by coincidence.
(c) Jean asks her to come over a baked potato.
(d) She is looking for Jean.
15. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
(a) A Sunday believer.
(b) Love and pacifism.
(c) Old Testament.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
2. Who is Pastor Spratt?
3. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
4. What is the moral of the story of the prince and the woman?
5. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)