|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
(a) The unbounded love of God.
(b) Turning the other cheek.
(d) Unnatural passions.
2. What cures the sensitive princess in the story?
(a) God's love.
(b) Real responsibilities and service.
(c) A magic spell.
(d) Her family's love.
3. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
(a) A Sunday believer.
(c) Old Testament.
(d) Love and pacifism.
4. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
(a) A ticket to a play she couldn't attend as punishment for sloppy work.
(b) A coin from a fallen government.
(c) Whalebone from a corset bought at a cheap clothing store.
(d) None of the above.
5. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
(b) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
(c) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
(d) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
6. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(b) A wife.
(c) The Truth.
7. How does Jean pass the time she spends in the children's ward at the hospital?
(a) Contemplating the Lord.
(b) Looking at sick people.
(c) Making igloos out of her orange peels.
(d) Talking with other kids.
8. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
(a) Because Pastor Finch says unnatural passions are awful.
(b) They just don't think about it.
(c) They don't know the normal boundaries of friendship.
(d) Because they are sure they are holy.
9. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
(a) Rejected due to content.
(b) Praised because of her effort in them.
(c) Teachers are obliged to recognize their technical superiority.
(d) Nobody understands them.
10. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) Pastor Spratt.
(b) A puppy.
(c) Cries for help.
(d) The voice of God.
11. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
(a) Terrorizing other children by giving them nightmares about Hell.
(b) Disobeying teachers.
(c) Acting too good for everybody.
(d) Intentionally causing trouble.
12. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
(a) " I couldn't make it on my own."
(b) "We had to have something for you."
(c) "I loved him."
(d) " I needed him."
13. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
(a) Great is the glory of God.
(b) To mother, with love.
(c) Lord be my guide.
(d) The summer is ended and we are not yet saved.
14. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) Reading fairy tales.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Listening to women gossip.
(d) Asking her aunt.
15. What condition does Jean's mother insist on to let Jean go to the fair once a year?
(a) That she confess and cleanse herself the next day.
(b) That she write a report afterwards on evils of the fair.
(c) That she will bring back black peas from the gypsies.
(d) That she try and convert the gypsies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
2. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
3. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
4. What does Jean find one day when she is looking for a pack of cards?
5. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)