|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elsie's hobby?
(a) Translating the bible.
(b) Missionary work.
2. What does Jean assume when she first senses hearing loss?
(a) She is getting old.
(b) She is in a state of rapture.
(c) It's normal.
(d) God is smiting her.
3. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) Reading fairy tales.
(b) Listening to women gossip.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Asking her aunt.
4. What does the prince announce about the woman after their talk?
(a) She was symmetrical in every respect.
(b) She was not flawless.
(c) She is perfect.
(d) All of the above.
5. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
(a) Realizing the church was sometimes confused.
(b) Being cut off from everyone.
(c) Thinking she disliked a state of rapture.
(d) Her mother's smothering protective attitude.
6. What does Jean's mother worry about?
(a) That Jean would get carried away by passions.
(b) That Jean might not make a good missionary.
(c) That Jean would find out she is Pierre's child.
(d) That Jean was spending too much time with Graham.
7. How does Jean pass the time she spends in the children's ward at the hospital?
(a) Talking with other kids.
(b) Making igloos out of her orange peels.
(c) Contemplating the Lord.
(d) Looking at sick people.
8. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(a) The woman from the paper shop.
(d) Jean's mother.
9. What is Jean unsure how to do?
(a) Tell men from beasts.
(b) Get into a marriage.
(c) Make babies.
(d) Choose a husband.
10. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(b) Grounds Jean for a week.
(c) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
(d) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
11. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
(a) Feeding Daniel to the lions in fuzzy felt.
(c) Making a manger scene in fuzzy felt.
(d) Coloring a mustache on Mary.
12. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
(a) The teachers like her but the kids don't.
(b) Her wit and fearlessness make her an instant hit with the other kids.
(c) She is an outcast and doesn't make any friends.
(d) She makes friends with another misfit, but no one else.
13. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
(b) She applies behind her mother's back.
(c) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(d) The owner heard her preach.
14. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
(b) Cleaning fish.
(d) Shopping with her family.
15. Which of the following best characterizes the information Jean gets from the other women regarding men and marriage?
(a) General and encouraging.
(b) Direct and depressing.
(c) Vague and confusing.
(d) Vulgar and humorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
2. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
3. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
4. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
5. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)