|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
(a) She learned men are not to be trusted.
(b) She nearly succombed to a life of sin.
(c) What she thought was love ended up being an ulcer.
(d) It was the only time she felt love.
2. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She encourages Jean to be herself.
(b) She admires her devotion to God.
(c) She wants to become a missionary too.
(d) She has interesting things in her house.
3. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
(b) Perfection, flawless in every respect.
(c) A soul attachment.
4. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) The prince must come seek her hand.
(b) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
(c) She is not interested in getting married.
(d) She is totally flawless.
5. How does pastor Finch, the visiting pastor, make Jean feel?
(b) Possessed by a demon.
(c) Like a prodigal child.
(d) Scared and uneasy.
6. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
(a) "I loved him."
(b) " I couldn't make it on my own."
(c) " I needed him."
(d) "We had to have something for you."
7. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean's mother sees the world?
(a) Black and white.
(b) A place of shadowy nuances.
(c) As all God's creations.
(d) A confusing jumble of forces.
8. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
(a) They are not the only fruit.
(b) They keep you from getting sick.
(c) They are sent from God.
(d) They are the only fruit.
9. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) Listening to women gossip.
(b) Reading fairy tales.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Asking her aunt.
10. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) Some oranges.
(b) The creeps.
(c) Some empty tins.
(d) A fever.
11. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(c) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
(d) Jean is in a state of rapture.
12. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
(a) Quotes from Jesus.
(b) Purple and yellow flowers.
(c) Pictures of all the saints.
(d) Deeds of the Old Testament.
13. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She gives away gifts to members.
(b) She preaches on street corners.
(c) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
(d) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
14. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(b) The woman from the paper shop.
(c) Jean's mother.
15. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
(a) Nobody understands them.
(b) Rejected due to content.
(c) Praised because of her effort in them.
(d) Teachers are obliged to recognize their technical superiority.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
2. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
3. What does Jean's mother worry about?
4. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
5. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)