|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the special conference for the Society a turning point for Jean?
(a) It was when she first saw Pastor Spratt.
(b) It was when she began to develop her first theological disagreement.
(c) It was when she was confirmed into the Society.
(d) It was when she saw her mother through someone else's eyes.
2. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean's mother sees the world?
(a) As all God's creations.
(b) Black and white.
(c) A confusing jumble of forces.
(d) A place of shadowy nuances.
3. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(c) Jean is in a state of rapture.
(d) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
4. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
(a) She learned men are not to be trusted.
(b) What she thought was love ended up being an ulcer.
(c) It was the only time she felt love.
(d) She nearly succombed to a life of sin.
5. How does the Society for the Lost fare under the direction of Jean's mother?
(a) It doubled in membership.
(b) She launched Pastor Spratt to fame.
(c) It is slowly becoming more and more radical.
(d) There are fewer converts every year.
6. Where does Jean's mom get her a new mac?
(a) A seconds shop.
(b) The butcher's lost and found.
(c) Marks & Spencer.
(d) A booth in the market.
7. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(b) The Truth.
(c) A wife.
8. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) An old goose.
(b) A childhood friend.
(c) An old crone.
(d) The Lord.
9. What makes Jean's mother decide to get Jean a new mac?
(a) When the sleeve comes off.
(b) When she notices Jean's mac is getting threadbare.
(c) Running into Mrs Clifton who says she needs one.
(d) When Jean begs for one.
10. What is Jean's response when her mother informs her that if Jean doesn't go to school she'll go to jail?
(a) None of the above.
(b) St. Paul was always going to prison and he always got out.
(c) School and jail are similar, so why does matter who goes?
(d) She would never ask that of her mother.
11. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) The owner heard her preach.
(b) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(c) She applies behind her mother's back.
(d) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
12. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
(b) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
(c) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
(d) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
13. What is the moral of the story of the prince and the woman?
(a) Perfection should always be strived for.
(b) The desire for perfection makes you evil.
(c) Perfection is unobtainable.
(d) Perfection is not flawlessness, but balance.
14. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) The family next door.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
15. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
(a) Her church does not prepare her for the world.
(b) The rest of the world does not like her church.
(c) A thing is not a problem, and it's environment is not a problem, but the conjunction of the two can be.
(d) No one else in school is like her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
2. What condition does Jean's mother insist on to let Jean go to the fair once a year?
3. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
4. What does Jean assume when she first senses hearing loss?
5. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)