|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
(a) Praised because of her effort in them.
(b) Nobody understands them.
(c) Rejected due to content.
(d) Teachers are obliged to recognize their technical superiority.
2. What does Jean help do one year when they go to Morecambe?
(a) Make wreaths for a boarding school where there had been an epidemic.
(b) Calculate the number of heathen in England.
(c) Play the tambourine for Pastor Spratt.
(d) Mail pamphlets to the unholy.
3. How does Jean pass the time she spends in the children's ward at the hospital?
(a) Talking with other kids.
(b) Making igloos out of her orange peels.
(c) Contemplating the Lord.
(d) Looking at sick people.
4. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She gives away gifts to members.
(b) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
(c) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
(d) She preaches on street corners.
5. What what Jean's mother's response when Jean told her about the marriage dream she had?
(a) She offered to take Jean to a dream analyst.
(b) She said it was because Jean ate sardines the night before.
(c) She said she had had similiar dreams when she was young.
(d) She reassured her that her own marriage would be nothing like that.
6. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
(a) Thinking she disliked a state of rapture.
(b) Her mother's smothering protective attitude.
(c) Being cut off from everyone.
(d) Realizing the church was sometimes confused.
7. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
(a) Her wit and fearlessness make her an instant hit with the other kids.
(b) She is an outcast and doesn't make any friends.
(c) She makes friends with another misfit, but no one else.
(d) The teachers like her but the kids don't.
8. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
(a) Dying from the anesthetia.
(b) If the nurse will throw away her orange peel.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Not getting her hearing back.
9. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(a) The Truth.
(d) A wife.
10. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) The owner heard her preach.
(b) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(c) She applies behind her mother's back.
(d) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
11. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
(a) A soul attachment.
(c) Perfection, flawless in every respect.
12. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
(a) "I loved him."
(b) " I needed him."
(c) " I couldn't make it on my own."
(d) "We had to have something for you."
13. What does Jean's mother have hung above her oven where she can see it often?
(a) A picture of Jean.
(b) A picture of her and her husband on their wedding day.
(c) The prayer of St. Francis.
(d) A watercolor of the Lord painted by Pastor Spratt.
14. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) A fever.
(b) The creeps.
(c) Some empty tins.
(d) Some oranges.
15. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
(a) Mrs. Jewsbury, an oboe player.
(b) Jean's dance teacher.
(c) The pastor.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
2. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
3. What do Jean and her mother do routinely on Sunday mornings?
4. What cures the sensitive princess in the story?
5. What does Jean assume when she first senses hearing loss?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)