|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
2. What does Jean's mother identify the sound coming from next door as?
(a) The tape she left for them to play.
(b) A newborn baby.
(d) Pastor Spratt.
3. What do Jean and her mother do routinely on Sunday mornings?
(a) Take notes on the World Service radio program.
(b) Discuss how the Lord has blessed their lives.
(c) Cook an extravagant lunch.
(d) Enjoy a conversation over tea.
4. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
(b) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
(c) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
(d) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
5. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
(b) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
(c) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(d) She gives Jean some food.
6. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
(b) Perfection, flawless in every respect.
(c) A soul attachment.
7. What makes Jean's mother decide to get Jean a new mac?
(a) When Jean begs for one.
(b) When the sleeve comes off.
(c) Running into Mrs Clifton who says she needs one.
(d) When she notices Jean's mac is getting threadbare.
8. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
(a) Nobody understands them.
(b) Praised because of her effort in them.
(c) Rejected due to content.
(d) Teachers are obliged to recognize their technical superiority.
9. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The owners had been members of the church but left.
10. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) She applies behind her mother's back.
(b) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(c) The owner heard her preach.
(d) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
11. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
(b) Grounds Jean for a week.
(c) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(d) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
12. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
(b) Feeding Daniel to the lions in fuzzy felt.
(c) Coloring a mustache on Mary.
(d) Making a manger scene in fuzzy felt.
13. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) Jean is in a state of rapture.
(b) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
14. What does Jean's mother have hung above her oven where she can see it often?
(a) A picture of Jean.
(b) The prayer of St. Francis.
(c) A watercolor of the Lord painted by Pastor Spratt.
(d) A picture of her and her husband on their wedding day.
15. What does Jean's mother call the public school?
(a) The mill of brainwashing.
(b) The corrupter of children.
(c) The devils work.
(d) The breeding ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
2. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
3. Who spends the most time with Jean in the hospital?
4. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
5. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)