|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story at the end of the chapter titled Leviticus, what is the girl like?
(a) So pretty she can heal the sick.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Her favorite thing is to spin and sing in the orchard.
(d) Well acquainted with the laws of physics and the universe.
2. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(b) The woman from the paper shop.
(c) Jean's mother.
3. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) To take the dog.
(b) A fish.
(c) A new mac.
(d) All of the above.
4. What does Jean's mother identify the sound coming from next door as?
(b) Pastor Spratt.
(c) The tape she left for them to play.
(d) A newborn baby.
5. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) A day for a feast.
(b) Family time.
(c) Vigorous in worship.
(d) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
6. How does the Society for the Lost fare under the direction of Jean's mother?
(a) She launched Pastor Spratt to fame.
(b) It doubled in membership.
(c) It is slowly becoming more and more radical.
(d) There are fewer converts every year.
7. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
(a) Reluctantly agrees to come to another.
(b) Throws up.
(c) Invites Jean out to lunch.
(d) Asks for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation.
8. What does Jean find one day when she is looking for a pack of cards?
(a) Her adoption papers.
(b) The real ending to Jane Eyre.
(c) Love letters between her parents.
(d) Pictures of a strange man in her mother's desk.
9. What does Jean discover when she reads the book JANE EYRE?
(a) She could relate closely to Jane Eyre.
(b) Her mother had changed the ending.
(c) There was a world of feelings she was unaware of.
(d) It explained a lot about men.
10. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
(a) They don't know the normal boundaries of friendship.
(b) Because Pastor Finch says unnatural passions are awful.
(c) Because they are sure they are holy.
(d) They just don't think about it.
11. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
(a) Starts singing hymns loudly.
(b) Claps her hands over Jean's ears.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Sends Jean out for ice cream.
12. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
(a) Whalebone from a corset bought at a cheap clothing store.
(b) A coin from a fallen government.
(c) A ticket to a play she couldn't attend as punishment for sloppy work.
(d) None of the above.
13. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
(a) The agency for adoption was in Wigan.
(b) It was where her family lived.
(c) She had been told Wigan was full of the devils minions.
(d) The only person she knew there was an old lover.
14. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
(a) Her father creeps downstairs at night to watch tv.
(b) Her mother goes to bed at four a.m., her father gets up an hour later.
(c) They all go to bed promptly at eight.
(d) They change their schedule to match the radio broadcasts her mother listens to.
15. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(b) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
(c) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
(d) She gives Jean some food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does pastor Finch, the visiting pastor, make Jean feel?
2. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
3. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
4. Why does Pastor Finch carry a First Aid kit in his van?
5. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)