|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the moral of the story of the prince and the woman?
(a) Perfection should always be strived for.
(b) The desire for perfection makes you evil.
(c) Perfection is not flawlessness, but balance.
(d) Perfection is unobtainable.
2. How does the Society for the Lost fare under the direction of Jean's mother?
(a) It is slowly becoming more and more radical.
(b) She launched Pastor Spratt to fame.
(c) There are fewer converts every year.
(d) It doubled in membership.
3. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) The family next door.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
4. What condition does Jean's mother insist on to let Jean go to the fair once a year?
(a) That she will bring back black peas from the gypsies.
(b) That she confess and cleanse herself the next day.
(c) That she try and convert the gypsies.
(d) That she write a report afterwards on evils of the fair.
5. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
(b) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
(c) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
(d) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
6. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
(b) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
(c) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
(d) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
7. What is Jean unsure how to do?
(a) Get into a marriage.
(b) Choose a husband.
(c) Make babies.
(d) Tell men from beasts.
8. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
(c) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(d) Jean is in a state of rapture.
9. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A fish.
(c) A new mac.
(d) To take the dog.
10. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) Family time.
(b) Vigorous in worship.
(c) A day for a feast.
(d) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
11. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
(a) They are not the only fruit.
(b) They are sent from God.
(c) They are the only fruit.
(d) They keep you from getting sick.
12. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
(a) Her church does not prepare her for the world.
(b) No one else in school is like her.
(c) A thing is not a problem, and it's environment is not a problem, but the conjunction of the two can be.
(d) The rest of the world does not like her church.
13. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
(a) Her mother's childhood.
(b) The birth of Jesus.
(c) The creation story.
14. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) She is totally flawless.
(b) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
(c) She is not interested in getting married.
(d) The prince must come seek her hand.
15. Which of the following best characterizes the information Jean gets from the other women regarding men and marriage?
(a) General and encouraging.
(b) Direct and depressing.
(c) Vague and confusing.
(d) Vulgar and humorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
2. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
3. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
4. What what Jean's mother's response when Jean told her about the marriage dream she had?
5. What is Elsie's hobby?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)