|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother worry about?
(a) That Jean would find out she is Pierre's child.
(b) That Jean might not make a good missionary.
(c) That Jean was spending too much time with Graham.
(d) That Jean would get carried away by passions.
2. What is the moral of the parable of the sensitive princess?
(a) God's love conquers all.
(b) Your family knows best.
(c) Love is never misguided.
(d) None of the above.
3. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
4. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
(b) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(c) Grounds Jean for a week.
(d) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
5. Which of the following is something Jean's mother routinely is likely to say first thing to her on Sundays?
(a) What sort of tea is this?
(b) Who was the oldest man in the Bible?
(c) The Lord is good.
(d) All of the above.
6. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
(a) Claps her hands over Jean's ears.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Sends Jean out for ice cream.
(d) Starts singing hymns loudly.
7. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
(a) Quotes from Jesus.
(b) Pictures of all the saints.
(c) Deeds of the Old Testament.
(d) Purple and yellow flowers.
8. Where does Jean's mom get her a new mac?
(a) Marks & Spencer.
(b) A seconds shop.
(c) A booth in the market.
(d) The butcher's lost and found.
9. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
(a) Thinking she disliked a state of rapture.
(b) Her mother's smothering protective attitude.
(c) Realizing the church was sometimes confused.
(d) Being cut off from everyone.
10. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) Vigorous in worship.
(b) Family time.
(c) A day for a feast.
(d) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
11. What is Jean unsure how to do?
(a) Make babies.
(b) Choose a husband.
(c) Tell men from beasts.
(d) Get into a marriage.
12. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
(a) Making wedding bouquets.
(b) Getting the dead ready for burial at an undertaker's.
(c) Growing carnations.
(d) Making wire forms for wreaths.
13. How does pastor Finch, the visiting pastor, make Jean feel?
(a) Possessed by a demon.
(b) Scared and uneasy.
(d) Like a prodigal child.
14. How does the Society for the Lost fare under the direction of Jean's mother?
(a) There are fewer converts every year.
(b) She launched Pastor Spratt to fame.
(c) It is slowly becoming more and more radical.
(d) It doubled in membership.
15. What does Jean's mother have hung above her oven where she can see it often?
(a) A picture of Jean.
(b) A watercolor of the Lord painted by Pastor Spratt.
(c) A picture of her and her husband on their wedding day.
(d) The prayer of St. Francis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince announce about the woman after their talk?
2. Why does Jean like Elsie?
3. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
4. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
5. What happens when the pastor talks about how full of spirit Jean is while he is preaching?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)