|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Jean's dream of getting married, who is her husband?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The man from the post office.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A pig.
2. Which of the following is in the book that the prince writes?
(a) The need to produce a world of perfect beings.
(b) The corruption of opting for second best.
(c) An exhoration to single-mindedness.
(d) All of the above.
3. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
4. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) Jean is in a state of rapture.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(d) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
5. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
(a) John and Meg's family.
(b) Next Door.
(c) That poor family.
(d) The Johnsons.
6. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(b) She applies behind her mother's back.
(c) The owner heard her preach.
(d) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
7. How does Jean pass the time she spends in the children's ward at the hospital?
(a) Talking with other kids.
(b) Looking at sick people.
(c) Contemplating the Lord.
(d) Making igloos out of her orange peels.
8. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
(b) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
(c) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
(d) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
9. What do Jean and her mother do routinely on Sunday mornings?
(a) Cook an extravagant lunch.
(b) Discuss how the Lord has blessed their lives.
(c) Take notes on the World Service radio program.
(d) Enjoy a conversation over tea.
10. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
(a) Her mother's childhood.
(b) The birth of Jesus.
(d) The creation story.
11. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
(a) Disobeying teachers.
(b) Terrorizing other children by giving them nightmares about Hell.
(c) Intentionally causing trouble.
(d) Acting too good for everybody.
12. What is Jean's response when her mother informs her that if Jean doesn't go to school she'll go to jail?
(a) She would never ask that of her mother.
(b) School and jail are similar, so why does matter who goes?
(c) None of the above.
(d) St. Paul was always going to prison and he always got out.
13. What is Elsie's hobby?
(b) Translating the bible.
(c) Missionary work.
14. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
(a) Her mother tells her it is a symptom of the rapture.
(b) She tries to wait until her mother is undistracted but can't find a time.
(c) She writes "the world is very quiet" on a paper. Her mother nods and keeps reading a book.
(d) She tells her mom but can't hear her mother's answer.
15. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The owners had been members of the church but left.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story at the end of the chapter titled Leviticus, what is the girl like?
2. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
3. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
4. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
5. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)