|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
(a) Terrorizing other children by giving them nightmares about Hell.
(b) Disobeying teachers.
(c) Acting too good for everybody.
(d) Intentionally causing trouble.
2. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She has interesting things in her house.
(b) She wants to become a missionary too.
(c) She admires her devotion to God.
(d) She encourages Jean to be herself.
3. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Reading fairy tales.
(c) Listening to women gossip.
(d) Asking her aunt.
4. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
(a) Her church does not prepare her for the world.
(b) The rest of the world does not like her church.
(c) No one else in school is like her.
(d) A thing is not a problem, and it's environment is not a problem, but the conjunction of the two can be.
5. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
(a) Throws up.
(b) Reluctantly agrees to come to another.
(c) Asks for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation.
(d) Invites Jean out to lunch.
6. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Jean is in a state of rapture.
(d) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
7. Why does Pastor Finch carry a First Aid kit in his van?
(a) He felt responsible for the young choir members.
(b) In case the demon combusted somebody.
(c) His revivals are so animated he usually needs it.
(d) Tubas are dangerous.
8. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her mother and stepfather.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her adoptive mother and father.
9. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
10. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
(b) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
(c) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
(d) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
11. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
(a) That perfection is unobtainable.
(b) That God is perfection.
(c) That perfection is flawlessness.
(d) None of the above.
12. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
(a) Tapes it back on.
(b) Takes her to buy another one.
(c) Rips the other sleeve off and calls it a vest.
(d) Says she doesn't need a mac.
13. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The owners had been members of the church but left.
14. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
(a) The summer is ended and we are not yet saved.
(b) Great is the glory of God.
(c) Lord be my guide.
(d) To mother, with love.
15. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
(c) None of the above.
(d) The family next door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
2. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
3. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
4. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
5. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)