|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
(a) She had been told Wigan was full of the devils minions.
(b) The agency for adoption was in Wigan.
(c) It was where her family lived.
(d) The only person she knew there was an old lover.
2. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
(b) Feeding Daniel to the lions in fuzzy felt.
(c) Making a manger scene in fuzzy felt.
(d) Coloring a mustache on Mary.
3. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
(b) The creation story.
(c) Her mother's childhood.
(d) The birth of Jesus.
4. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
(b) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
(c) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
(d) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
5. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
(b) Perfection, flawless in every respect.
(d) A soul attachment.
6. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
(a) John and Meg's family.
(b) Next Door.
(c) That poor family.
(d) The Johnsons.
7. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
(b) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
(c) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
(d) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
8. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) The owner heard her preach.
(b) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(c) She applies behind her mother's back.
(d) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
9. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) Pastor Spratt.
(b) A puppy.
(c) The voice of God.
(d) Cries for help.
10. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
(a) Her adoptive mother and father.
(b) Her mother and stepfather.
(c) Her mother and father.
(d) Her mother.
11. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
(a) That perfection is unobtainable.
(b) None of the above.
(c) That God is perfection.
(d) That perfection is flawlessness.
12. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
(a) She writes "the world is very quiet" on a paper. Her mother nods and keeps reading a book.
(b) She tells her mom but can't hear her mother's answer.
(c) Her mother tells her it is a symptom of the rapture.
(d) She tries to wait until her mother is undistracted but can't find a time.
13. What does Jean discover when she reads the book JANE EYRE?
(a) Her mother had changed the ending.
(b) There was a world of feelings she was unaware of.
(c) It explained a lot about men.
(d) She could relate closely to Jane Eyre.
14. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Stories of her youth.
(b) Fairy tales.
(c) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
(d) Biblical stories.
15. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) Reading fairy tales.
(b) Asking her aunt.
(c) Listening to women gossip.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
2. What condition does Jean's mother insist on to let Jean go to the fair once a year?
3. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
4. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
5. In Jean's dream of getting married, who is her husband?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)