|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
(b) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
(c) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
(d) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
2. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
(b) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
(c) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
(d) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
3. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
(a) The creation story.
(b) The birth of Jesus.
(c) Her mother's childhood.
4. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
(a) She is looking for Jean.
(b) She wanders in by coincidence.
(c) Jean asks her to come over a baked potato.
(d) Her mother is a friend of Elsies and takes her.
5. What does Jean find one day when she is looking for a pack of cards?
(a) Her adoption papers.
(b) Love letters between her parents.
(c) Pictures of a strange man in her mother's desk.
(d) The real ending to Jane Eyre.
6. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
(c) Cleaning fish.
(d) Shopping with her family.
7. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She preaches on street corners.
(b) She gives away gifts to members.
(c) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
(d) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
8. Which of the following is something Jean's mother routinely is likely to say first thing to her on Sundays?
(a) Who was the oldest man in the Bible?
(b) What sort of tea is this?
(c) The Lord is good.
(d) All of the above.
9. What does Jean's mother worry about?
(a) That Jean would get carried away by passions.
(b) That Jean was spending too much time with Graham.
(c) That Jean might not make a good missionary.
(d) That Jean would find out she is Pierre's child.
10. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
(a) A servant of God.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A missionary child.
(d) A blessing.
11. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
12. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) The family next door.
(b) The gypsies.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
13. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Fairy tales.
(b) Biblical stories.
(c) Stories of her youth.
(d) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
14. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
(a) That perfection is flawlessness.
(b) That perfection is unobtainable.
(c) None of the above.
(d) That God is perfection.
15. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) A childhood friend.
(b) An old crone.
(c) The Lord.
(d) An old goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the special conference for the Society a turning point for Jean?
2. What what Jean's mother's response when Jean told her about the marriage dream she had?
3. What does Jean's mother call the public school?
4. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
5. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)