|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Biblical stories.
(b) Stories of her youth.
(c) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
(d) Fairy tales.
2. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
(a) Being cut off from everyone.
(b) Thinking she disliked a state of rapture.
(c) Her mother's smothering protective attitude.
(d) Realizing the church was sometimes confused.
3. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) The owners had been members of the church but left.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(d) All of the above.
4. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
(b) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
(c) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
(d) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
5. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) An old goose.
(b) The Lord.
(c) A childhood friend.
(d) An old crone.
6. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
(a) Has it find God and start to pray.
(b) Has a lion from the ark eat it.
(c) Drowns it.
(d) Makes it take over the ark.
7. What is the moral of the story of the prince and the woman?
(a) Perfection is not flawlessness, but balance.
(b) Perfection is unobtainable.
(c) Perfection should always be strived for.
(d) The desire for perfection makes you evil.
8. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
9. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) Asking her aunt.
(b) Listening to women gossip.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Reading fairy tales.
10. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
(b) She gives away gifts to members.
(c) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
(d) She preaches on street corners.
11. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She admires her devotion to God.
(b) She encourages Jean to be herself.
(c) She has interesting things in her house.
(d) She wants to become a missionary too.
12. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
(c) The family next door.
(d) None of the above.
13. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) Some oranges.
(b) Some empty tins.
(c) The creeps.
(d) A fever.
14. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
(b) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
(c) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
(d) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
15. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
(a) To mother, with love.
(b) The summer is ended and we are not yet saved.
(c) Great is the glory of God.
(d) Lord be my guide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
2. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
3. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
4. What does Jean assume when she first senses hearing loss?
5. Which of the following best characterizes the way Jean's mother sees the world?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)