Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
(a) The teachers like her but the kids don't.
(b) She is an outcast and doesn't make any friends.
(c) She makes friends with another misfit, but no one else.
(d) Her wit and fearlessness make her an instant hit with the other kids.
2. How does Melanie end up coming to a church service at Jean's church?
(a) Her mother is a friend of Elsies and takes her.
(b) She wanders in by coincidence.
(c) Jean asks her to come over a baked potato.
(d) She is looking for Jean.
3. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
(a) Jean's dance teacher.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Mrs. Jewsbury, an oboe player.
(d) The pastor.
4. How does Jean's attempt to tell her mother about her deafness go?
(a) Her mother tells her it is a symptom of the rapture.
(b) She writes "the world is very quiet" on a paper. Her mother nods and keeps reading a book.
(c) She tells her mom but can't hear her mother's answer.
(d) She tries to wait until her mother is undistracted but can't find a time.
5. What does the prince announce about the woman after their talk?
(a) She was not flawless.
(b) She was symmetrical in every respect.
(c) All of the above.
(d) She is perfect.
6. How was the special conference for the Society a turning point for Jean?
(a) It was when she was confirmed into the Society.
(b) It was when she began to develop her first theological disagreement.
(c) It was when she saw her mother through someone else's eyes.
(d) It was when she first saw Pastor Spratt.
7. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
(b) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
(c) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
(d) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
8. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A ticket to a play she couldn't attend as punishment for sloppy work.
(c) Whalebone from a corset bought at a cheap clothing store.
(d) A coin from a fallen government.
9. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
(a) Unnatural passions.
(c) The unbounded love of God.
(d) Turning the other cheek.
10. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
(b) She gives Jean some food.
(c) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
(d) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
11. What cures the sensitive princess in the story?
(a) Her family's love.
(b) Real responsibilities and service.
(c) A magic spell.
(d) God's love.
12. What gift does Elsie give Jean?
(a) Three mice in a box painted like "the fiery furnace".
(b) A flute.
(c) A book about independent thinking.
(d) A pillow with inspirational sayings on it.
13. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) A childhood friend.
(b) An old goose.
(c) An old crone.
(d) The Lord.
14. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
(a) If the nurse will throw away her orange peel.
(b) Not getting her hearing back.
(c) Dying from the anesthetia.
(d) All of the above.
15. What does Jean assume when she first senses hearing loss?
(a) It's normal.
(b) God is smiting her.
(c) She is in a state of rapture.
(d) She is getting old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
2. What is Jean unsure how to do?
3. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
4. What is Jean's response when her mother informs her that if Jean doesn't go to school she'll go to jail?
5. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)