|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
(a) Invites Jean out to lunch.
(b) Asks for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation.
(c) Reluctantly agrees to come to another.
(d) Throws up.
2. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
(a) She learned men are not to be trusted.
(b) What she thought was love ended up being an ulcer.
(c) It was the only time she felt love.
(d) She nearly succombed to a life of sin.
3. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
(b) A soul attachment.
(d) Perfection, flawless in every respect.
4. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
(a) Whalebone from a corset bought at a cheap clothing store.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A coin from a fallen government.
(d) A ticket to a play she couldn't attend as punishment for sloppy work.
5. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
(a) Realizing the church was sometimes confused.
(b) Thinking she disliked a state of rapture.
(c) Being cut off from everyone.
(d) Her mother's smothering protective attitude.
6. What does Jean help do one year when they go to Morecambe?
(a) Make wreaths for a boarding school where there had been an epidemic.
(b) Calculate the number of heathen in England.
(c) Mail pamphlets to the unholy.
(d) Play the tambourine for Pastor Spratt.
7. What do Jean and her mother do routinely on Sunday mornings?
(a) Cook an extravagant lunch.
(b) Take notes on the World Service radio program.
(c) Discuss how the Lord has blessed their lives.
(d) Enjoy a conversation over tea.
8. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
(b) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
(c) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
(d) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
9. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
(a) It was where her family lived.
(b) The only person she knew there was an old lover.
(c) The agency for adoption was in Wigan.
(d) She had been told Wigan was full of the devils minions.
10. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She wants to become a missionary too.
(b) She admires her devotion to God.
(c) She has interesting things in her house.
(d) She encourages Jean to be herself.
11. What does Jean's mother call the public school?
(a) The corrupter of children.
(b) The breeding ground.
(c) The devils work.
(d) The mill of brainwashing.
12. Why does Pastor Finch carry a First Aid kit in his van?
(a) He felt responsible for the young choir members.
(b) His revivals are so animated he usually needs it.
(c) In case the demon combusted somebody.
(d) Tubas are dangerous.
13. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Grounds Jean for a week.
(b) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
(c) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(d) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
14. What important notion does Elsie impart to Jean?
(a) That we must tend the things we love.
(b) That there are two worlds, the physical and another.
(c) That she has to be her own person.
(d) That God is not always right.
15. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) Some empty tins.
(b) Some oranges.
(c) The creeps.
(d) A fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
2. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
3. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
4. Who spends the most time with Jean in the hospital?
5. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)