|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Whalebone from a corset bought at a cheap clothing store.
(c) A ticket to a play she couldn't attend as punishment for sloppy work.
(d) A coin from a fallen government.
2. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(b) Jean's mother.
(c) The woman from the paper shop.
3. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
(a) For Bible study as her counselor.
(b) Their mothers go downtown together.
(c) Bringing new tracts for distribution.
(d) Delivering food from Tricketts.
4. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(c) A wife.
(d) The Truth.
5. What does the headmistress of the school accuse Jean of?
(a) Intentionally causing trouble.
(b) Terrorizing other children by giving them nightmares about Hell.
(c) Disobeying teachers.
(d) Acting too good for everybody.
6. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) All of the above.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(d) The owners had been members of the church but left.
7. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
(a) Praised because of her effort in them.
(b) Teachers are obliged to recognize their technical superiority.
(c) Nobody understands them.
(d) Rejected due to content.
8. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Grounds Jean for a week.
(b) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
(c) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(d) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
9. How does Jean get a job washing glasses at Tricketts?
(a) Her mother agrees she'll do it with the waitress.
(b) The owner heard her preach.
(c) She applies behind her mother's back.
(d) She offers to help out when they are too busy.
10. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
(a) Throws up.
(b) Reluctantly agrees to come to another.
(c) Invites Jean out to lunch.
(d) Asks for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation.
11. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
12. What does Jean's mother have her do in the market for the special conference for the Society?
(a) Stand on an orange box and shout what was going on.
(b) Buy all the apples from the market to symbolically remove temptation.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Tack fliers up all around.
13. What does Jean's mother identify the sound coming from next door as?
(b) A newborn baby.
(c) Pastor Spratt.
(d) The tape she left for them to play.
14. Which of the following is in the book that the prince writes?
(a) The corruption of opting for second best.
(b) An exhoration to single-mindedness.
(c) The need to produce a world of perfect beings.
(d) All of the above.
15. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
(b) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
(c) She preaches on street corners.
(d) She gives away gifts to members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
2. Who is Pastor Spratt?
3. What is Elsie's hobby?
4. How does Jean's mother refer to their neighbors?
5. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)