|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman at the vermin shop give Jean?
(a) Some oranges.
(b) Some empty tins.
(c) A fever.
(d) The creeps.
2. Who spends the most time with Jean in the hospital?
(b) Jean's father, sent by her mother.
(c) Mrs Jewsbury.
(d) Jean's mother, who even sleeps there.
3. What does Jean overhear her mother say about the people that invited her to the seashore?
(a) They drank.
(b) They dealt in unnatural passions.
(c) They were unholy.
(d) They abducted children.
4. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(a) The woman from the paper shop.
(d) Jean's mother.
5. What does Mrs. Arkwright tell Jean when she sees her in the market?
(a) She tells Jean to stop living by someone else's rules.
(b) She tells Jean her mother is a saint.
(c) She tells Jean to come to her if she needs help.
(d) She tells Jean her mother is mad.
6. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) A new mac.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A fish.
(d) To take the dog.
7. Which of the following is a tactic that Jean uses to answer her questions about men?
(a) Listening to women gossip.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Asking her aunt.
(d) Reading fairy tales.
8. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) A day for a feast.
(b) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
(c) Family time.
(d) Vigorous in worship.
9. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) She is totally flawless.
(b) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
(c) The prince must come seek her hand.
(d) She is not interested in getting married.
10. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
(a) Starts singing hymns loudly.
(b) Claps her hands over Jean's ears.
(c) Sends Jean out for ice cream.
(d) All of the above.
11. What does Jean help do one year when they go to Morecambe?
(a) Mail pamphlets to the unholy.
(b) Calculate the number of heathen in England.
(c) Play the tambourine for Pastor Spratt.
(d) Make wreaths for a boarding school where there had been an epidemic.
12. What does Jean's mother worry about?
(a) That Jean was spending too much time with Graham.
(b) That Jean would get carried away by passions.
(c) That Jean would find out she is Pierre's child.
(d) That Jean might not make a good missionary.
13. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she is a child of God.
(b) That she does not know her real self.
(c) That she is destined for great works.
(d) That she will never marry.
14. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Biblical stories.
(b) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Stories of her youth.
15. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She admires her devotion to God.
(b) She wants to become a missionary too.
(c) She encourages Jean to be herself.
(d) She has interesting things in her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is in the book that the prince writes?
2. What does Jean worry about before her operation?
3. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
4. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
5. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)