|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Jean's mother decide to get Jean a new mac?
(a) When she notices Jean's mac is getting threadbare.
(b) Running into Mrs Clifton who says she needs one.
(c) When Jean begs for one.
(d) When the sleeve comes off.
2. What is Jean doing when Pastor Finch finds her in the Sunday School Room?
(b) Coloring a mustache on Mary.
(c) Feeding Daniel to the lions in fuzzy felt.
(d) Making a manger scene in fuzzy felt.
3. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
(a) Shopping with her family.
(d) Cleaning fish.
4. What does Jean's mother see in a child when she decided she wanted one?
(a) A missionary child.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A servant of God.
5. How does pastor Finch, the visiting pastor, make Jean feel?
(a) Scared and uneasy.
(b) Like a prodigal child.
(c) Possessed by a demon.
6. What gift does Elsie give Jean?
(a) A book about independent thinking.
(b) A pillow with inspirational sayings on it.
(c) A flute.
(d) Three mice in a box painted like "the fiery furnace".
7. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
(b) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
(c) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
(d) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
8. What was in the package that came from Wigan?
(a) Jean's biological parents' information.
(b) A letter from Pierre.
(c) Tickets to a cruise.
(d) None of the above.
9. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She encourages Jean to be herself.
(b) She admires her devotion to God.
(c) She wants to become a missionary too.
(d) She has interesting things in her house.
10. What does Jean's mother have her do in the market for the special conference for the Society?
(a) Stand on an orange box and shout what was going on.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Buy all the apples from the market to symbolically remove temptation.
(d) Tack fliers up all around.
11. What does Jean realize when her sampler does not win in a school contest?
(a) A thing is not a problem, and it's environment is not a problem, but the conjunction of the two can be.
(b) No one else in school is like her.
(c) Her church does not prepare her for the world.
(d) The rest of the world does not like her church.
12. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
(a) Jean tries to dress fashionably to be accepted.
(b) She establishes good relationships with the teachers but not the kids.
(c) She tries very hard but can't get the hang of it.
(d) She doesn't care and can't wait to leave.
13. Which of the following is something Jean's mother routinely is likely to say first thing to her on Sundays?
(a) All of the above.
(b) What sort of tea is this?
(c) The Lord is good.
(d) Who was the oldest man in the Bible?
14. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Stories of her youth.
(b) Biblical stories.
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
15. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The family next door.
(c) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
(d) The gypsies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
2. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
3. In Jean's dream of getting married, who is her husband?
4. What does Jean overhear her mother say about the people that invited her to the seashore?
5. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)