|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(a) The Truth.
(c) A wife.
2. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
(a) Delivering food from Tricketts.
(b) Bringing new tracts for distribution.
(c) For Bible study as her counselor.
(d) Their mothers go downtown together.
3. What does Jean ask for when her mother takes her to town to buy mince?
(a) To take the dog.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A new mac.
(d) A fish.
4. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) The owners had been members of the church but left.
(b) They held seances in the basement.
(c) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(d) All of the above.
5. What is Elsie's hobby?
(b) Translating the bible.
(c) Missionary work.
6. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
(a) The unbounded love of God.
(c) Turning the other cheek.
(d) Unnatural passions.
7. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
(a) " I couldn't make it on my own."
(b) " I needed him."
(c) "I loved him."
(d) "We had to have something for you."
8. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
(a) Her father creeps downstairs at night to watch tv.
(b) They all go to bed promptly at eight.
(c) They change their schedule to match the radio broadcasts her mother listens to.
(d) Her mother goes to bed at four a.m., her father gets up an hour later.
9. What does Jean find one day when she is looking for a pack of cards?
(a) The real ending to Jane Eyre.
(b) Pictures of a strange man in her mother's desk.
(c) Love letters between her parents.
(d) Her adoption papers.
10. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
(a) What she thought was love ended up being an ulcer.
(b) It was the only time she felt love.
(c) She learned men are not to be trusted.
(d) She nearly succombed to a life of sin.
11. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) A day for a feast.
(b) Family time.
(c) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
(d) Vigorous in worship.
12. Why don't Melanie and Jean think what they are doing is the "unnatural passions" they hear about?
(a) They don't know the normal boundaries of friendship.
(b) They just don't think about it.
(c) Because they are sure they are holy.
(d) Because Pastor Finch says unnatural passions are awful.
13. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
(a) Cleaning fish.
(d) Shopping with her family.
14. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(b) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
(c) She gives Jean some food.
(d) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
15. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
(b) She preaches on street corners.
(c) She gives away gifts to members.
(d) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Jean's mother decide to get Jean a new mac?
2. In the story at the end of the chapter titled Leviticus, what is the girl like?
3. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
4. What does Jean's mother have her do in the market for the special conference for the Society?
5. How does Jean get along with the other kids at school?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)