|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do to get at the "heathens" who live next door?
(a) Knocks on their door every Sunday to tell them about the Lord.
(b) Plays the piano and sings hymns really loudly.
(c) Leaves pamphlets in their mailbox.
(d) Preaches to them over the garden fence.
2. What does Jean's mother have her do in the market for the special conference for the Society?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Stand on an orange box and shout what was going on.
(c) Tack fliers up all around.
(d) Buy all the apples from the market to symbolically remove temptation.
3. What idea from the sermon she heard at the special conference had the biggest impact on Jean?
(a) None of the above.
(b) That God is perfection.
(c) That perfection is unobtainable.
(d) That perfection is flawlessness.
4. What does Mrs Arkwright do for Jean in the market?
(a) She lets Jean put her orange box in her stall out of the rain.
(b) Lends Jean her cart to haul apples.
(c) She takes some of pamplets to put up herself.
(d) She gives Jean some food.
5. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Biblical stories.
(b) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
(c) Stories of her youth.
(d) Fairy tales.
6. What does Jean overhear her mother say about the people that invited her to the seashore?
(a) They were unholy.
(b) They abducted children.
(c) They drank.
(d) They dealt in unnatural passions.
7. What does Jean sew onto her sampler in sewing class?
(a) The summer is ended and we are not yet saved.
(b) Great is the glory of God.
(c) To mother, with love.
(d) Lord be my guide.
8. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
(a) A day for a feast.
(b) A day of rest to think of the Lord.
(c) Vigorous in worship.
(d) Family time.
9. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
(a) The birth of Jesus.
(b) Her mother's childhood.
(c) The creation story.
10. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
(a) They change their schedule to match the radio broadcasts her mother listens to.
(b) They all go to bed promptly at eight.
(c) Her mother goes to bed at four a.m., her father gets up an hour later.
(d) Her father creeps downstairs at night to watch tv.
11. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(b) A wife.
(d) The Truth.
12. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
(a) "We had to have something for you."
(b) " I couldn't make it on my own."
(c) " I needed him."
(d) "I loved him."
13. Who finally discovers that Jean is deaf?
(a) The pastor.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Jean's dance teacher.
(d) Mrs. Jewsbury, an oboe player.
14. What does Jean find one day when she is looking for a pack of cards?
(a) The real ending to Jane Eyre.
(b) Love letters between her parents.
(c) Pictures of a strange man in her mother's desk.
(d) Her adoption papers.
15. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) She is not interested in getting married.
(b) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
(c) The prince must come seek her hand.
(d) She is totally flawless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother tell Jean about her experience with Pierre?
2. What is Elsie's hobby?
3. How does pastor Finch, the visiting pastor, make Jean feel?
4. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
5. How successful are Jean's art projects at school?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)