|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jean pass the time she spends in the children's ward at the hospital?
(a) Making igloos out of her orange peels.
(b) Contemplating the Lord.
(c) Talking with other kids.
(d) Looking at sick people.
2. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
(a) Takes her to buy another one.
(b) Says she doesn't need a mac.
(c) Tapes it back on.
(d) Rips the other sleeve off and calls it a vest.
3. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She wants to become a missionary too.
(b) She has interesting things in her house.
(c) She encourages Jean to be herself.
(d) She admires her devotion to God.
4. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
5. What does the girl tell the adviser who tries to take her to the prince?
(a) She is not interested in getting married.
(b) She is totally flawless.
(c) The prince must come seek her hand.
(d) She will not marry an imperfect prince.
6. What story does the telling of Jean's own beginnings parallel?
(a) The birth of Jesus.
(b) Her mother's childhood.
(d) The creation story.
7. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
(b) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(c) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
(d) Grounds Jean for a week.
8. What is that "special something" the prince is looking for in someone?
(a) Perfection, flawless in every respect.
(d) A soul attachment.
9. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) They held seances in the basement.
(b) The owners had been members of the church but left.
(c) The owners are two women who share a bed.
(d) All of the above.
10. What is her mother's response when Jean asks her why she married her father?
(a) " I couldn't make it on my own."
(b) "We had to have something for you."
(c) " I needed him."
(d) "I loved him."
11. Who invites Jean to go to the seaside?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) Two unmarried women who run a comic shop.
(c) The family next door.
(d) None of the above.
12. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her adoptive mother and father.
(d) Her mother and stepfather.
13. What was the hardest part for Jean of her temporary deafness?
(a) Realizing the church was sometimes confused.
(b) Her mother's smothering protective attitude.
(c) Being cut off from everyone.
(d) Thinking she disliked a state of rapture.
14. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
(a) Quotes from Jesus.
(b) Deeds of the Old Testament.
(c) Pictures of all the saints.
(d) Purple and yellow flowers.
15. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
(a) Shopping with her family.
(d) Cleaning fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of effort does Jean put into fitting in at school?
2. What schedule do Jean's parents keep at home?
3. What reason does Jean have for visiting Melanie every Monday?
4. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
5. How can Sundays at the house where Jean grew up best be described?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)