|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
(a) Purple and yellow flowers.
(b) Quotes from Jesus.
(c) Deeds of the Old Testament.
(d) Pictures of all the saints.
2. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her mother and stepfather.
(c) Her adoptive mother and father.
(d) Her mother.
3. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) Jean is in a state of rapture.
(b) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
4. What does the palm reader tell Jean one year at the fair?
(a) That she does not know her real self.
(b) That she will never marry.
(c) That she is destined for great works.
(d) That she is a child of God.
5. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(b) The Truth.
(c) A wife.
6. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
(a) Stories of her youth.
(b) Stories of people converted to Christianity or those that refused salvation.
(c) Biblical stories.
(d) Fairy tales.
7. What is Jean unsure how to do?
(a) Tell men from beasts.
(b) Make babies.
(c) Choose a husband.
(d) Get into a marriage.
8. Why is the paper shop "forbidden" and its owners talked about?
(a) They held seances in the basement.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The owners had been members of the church but left.
(d) The owners are two women who share a bed.
9. When Jean's mother gets a letter about Jean from the headmistress, what does she do?
(a) Takes her to church to confess her sins.
(b) Grounds Jean for a week.
(c) Laughs and takes Jean to the movies as a treat.
(d) Encourages her to keep it up until the school let Jean stay home.
10. Who is Pastor Spratt?
(a) The elderly slightly senile pastor at church.
(b) The founder of their church.
(c) The young, handsome pastor about to start preaching.
(d) The Pastor that converted Jean's mother and who she still devotedly follows.
11. Why was Jean's mother suspicious of a package that came from Wigan?
(a) It was where her family lived.
(b) The only person she knew there was an old lover.
(c) The agency for adoption was in Wigan.
(d) She had been told Wigan was full of the devils minions.
12. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(b) Jean's mother.
(c) The woman from the paper shop.
13. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
(a) A coin from a fallen government.
(b) A ticket to a play she couldn't attend as punishment for sloppy work.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Whalebone from a corset bought at a cheap clothing store.
14. What function does Jean's mother's friend make wreaths for?
15. What is Pastor Finch's sermon about the first day Melanie is in the church?
(b) The unbounded love of God.
(c) Unnatural passions.
(d) Turning the other cheek.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the special conference for the Society a turning point for Jean?
2. What does Jean's mother do when she identifies the sound coming from next door?
3. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
4. What job does Jean end up getting from the wreath-making friend?
5. What is Melanie doing when Jean first sees her?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)