|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reasons are given when adults discuss why Jean doesn't answer anyone?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The Lord works in mysterious ways.
(c) Jean is in a state of rapture.
(d) Jean is seven, which is a holy number, and strange things happen in sevens.
2. Why does Jean like Elsie?
(a) She has interesting things in her house.
(b) She admires her devotion to God.
(c) She encourages Jean to be herself.
(d) She wants to become a missionary too.
3. Which of the following best describes the religious zeal of Jean's mother?
(a) Love and pacifism.
(b) Old Testament.
(d) A Sunday believer.
4. What does Jean think she hears coming from the neighbor's house?
(a) Pastor Spratt.
(b) Cries for help.
(c) The voice of God.
(d) A puppy.
5. What does Jean's mother have her do in the market for the special conference for the Society?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Stand on an orange box and shout what was going on.
(c) Tack fliers up all around.
(d) Buy all the apples from the market to symbolically remove temptation.
6. What is Jean unsure how to do?
(a) Make babies.
(b) Tell men from beasts.
(c) Get into a marriage.
(d) Choose a husband.
7. What was in the package that came from Wigan?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Jean's biological parents' information.
(c) A letter from Pierre.
(d) Tickets to a cruise.
8. What is on the tablecloth Jean's family uses on Sundays?
(a) Pictures of all the saints.
(b) Deeds of the Old Testament.
(c) Quotes from Jesus.
(d) Purple and yellow flowers.
9. Who is the faithful companion to the prince?
(a) An old crone.
(b) The Lord.
(c) An old goose.
(d) A childhood friend.
10. What does the prince in the story want to find?
(a) A wife.
(d) The Truth.
11. Which of the following best characterizes the information Jean gets from the other women regarding men and marriage?
(a) Direct and depressing.
(b) Vulgar and humorous.
(c) General and encouraging.
(d) Vague and confusing.
12. What is one technique Jean's mother uses in the Society for the Lost?
(a) She gives away gifts to members.
(b) She preaches on street corners.
(c) She passedsout pamphlets at other churches.
(d) She sends out literature about hell and damnation.
13. What does Jean usually do to the Brillo pad monkey in the collage at Elsie's when she plays with it?
(a) Drowns it.
(b) Has it find God and start to pray.
(c) Has a lion from the ark eat it.
(d) Makes it take over the ark.
14. What does Melanie do at the end of her fist service at Jean's church?
(a) Asks for forgiveness in front of the whole congregation.
(b) Throws up.
(c) Invites Jean out to lunch.
(d) Reluctantly agrees to come to another.
15. On Melanie's first visit to Jean's church, who is the only one that sits out of the dancing and music making of Pastor Finch's new song?
(a) Jean's mother.
(d) The woman from the paper shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean have to remind her not to cut corners?
2. When a sleeve of Jean's mac gets torn off at the market, what does her mother do?
3. Who does the protagonist Jean live with?
4. What stories does Jean's mother tell her as they sit on the memorial stone at the top of the hill?
5. What does Jean's mother always say about oranges?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)