|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laurel doing when the neighbors come over?
2. What does Major Bullock do before leaving Laurel?
3. How often did Laurel's mother write to Judge?
4. Who discusses Judge's estate?
5. Where does Laurel find herself trapped after she traps the bird in the upstairs hall?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss optimism. Was Judge really an optimist? How did Judge define optimism? Is this a true definition of optimism? How did Laurel define optimism? Was she an optimist at the beginning of the novel? Was she an optimist at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the bridesmaids? Why do they call themselves that? Why are they waiting when Laurel and Fay arrive home by train? How does Fay react to their presence? How should she have reacted? What are Fay's motivations for reacting so negatively to these people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gossip. Is gossip a bad thing? How does gossip affect people's lives? How can gossip be good? How is gossip bad? How does gossip affect Laurel? Fay? Judge?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)