|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurel do when she sees what is in the house?
2. Who is it suggested would do the cooking in the house?
3. What does Major Bullock do before leaving Laurel?
4. What does the absence of the letters symbolize to Laurel?
5. Where does Laurel find herself trapped after she traps the bird in the upstairs hall?
Essay Topic 1
Eudora Welty uses several examples of symbolism throughout the novel. Name two. What do these objects symbolize? Why did Welty chose these items? How are these items similar to the things they symbolize? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Fay and Laurel. How are these two characters similar? How are they different? What motivates each character? How are these motivations similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Laurel's mother. How does Laurel feel about her mother? What kind of person does Laurel believe her mother was? Does Laurel admire her mother? Why or why not? What does Laurel think about her mother and father's relationship? How did this relationship define her father? Was this an accurate description?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)