|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fay do when she sees Judge?
2. What was significant about the death of Laurel's grandfather?
3. What does the pain symbolize to Laurel?
4. What does everyone assume Fay will inherit?
5. What does Laurel remember about her mother as she prepared to go into the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief is a theme of this novel. Discuss how grief effects each of the main characters, including Laurel, Fay, and Judge. How does grief change their thinking, their behaviors? How does it affect their choices?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the bridesmaids? Why do they call themselves that? Why are they waiting when Laurel and Fay arrive home by train? How does Fay react to their presence? How should she have reacted? What are Fay's motivations for reacting so negatively to these people?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Phil? Why does Laurel think about him after the death of her father? What impact did his death have on Laurel? Why is Laurel more angry about his death, even after all this time, than that of her father? How has Phil's death defined Laurel's life?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)