|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who attempts to befriend Fay at the Hibiscus Hotel?
(a) Miss Adele.
(d) Dr. Courtland.
2. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
(a) She was a teacher.
(b) She was a secretary at the Gulf Coast Hotel.
(c) She was a lawyer.
(d) She was a maid.
3. What is wrong with Judge's eye?
(a) He has cataracts.
(b) He has diabetic eye disease.
(c) The retina has slipped.
(d) He has a brain tumor.
4. Who is Miss Adele's brother?
(a) Dr. Courtland.
(b) Major Bullock.
(d) Laurel's husband.
5. What surprises Laurel when she sees the coffin?
(a) Fay had the coffin lined with peach satin.
(b) Fay had the coffin lined with yellow taffeta.
(c) Fay chose the wrong coffin.
(d) Fay bought a cheap coffin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Laurel gets rooms for herself and Fay?
2. What does Laurel hear when she approaches the Judge's room the night he dies?
3. What does Missouri tell Laurel about Fay's morning habits?
4. What character traits best describe Fay?
5. Why does Laurel go to check on Fay after Missouri?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laurel finally catch the bird?
2. How does gossip affect the plot in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. Why did Judge call himself an optimist?
4. Do you think Fay's behavior is appropriate in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
6. What does the red paint on her father's desk represent to Laurel?
7. Describe Judge and Fay's relationship as shown in Chapter 2.
8. In Chapter 1, what causes the tensions between Laurel and Fay?
9. What is discussed over dinner after the funeral?
10. What does the nurse tell Laurel when she arrives at the hospital? How does Laurel react?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)