|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laurel overhear Fay saying to Judge?
(a) Fay expresses her concern for Judge's health.
(b) Fay complains about the conditions at the Hibiscus.
(c) Fay complains that Judge is taking too long to heal.
(d) Fay is complaining about being stuck in the hospital and not being able to go to carnival.
2. Who is waiting with Fay at the hospital?
(b) Miss Adele.
(c) Major Bullock.
(d) Dr. Courtland.
3. What does Laurel remember about sleeping in her room?
(a) The security of her stuffed animals.
(b) The posters on the wall.
(c) Hearing the clock ring downstairs.
(d) Hearing her parents voices as they read to each other.
4. What does the nurse tell Laurel and Fay not to do?
(a) Give Judge food.
(b) Jiggle or move Judge.
(c) Give Judge water.
(d) Make Judge laugh.
5. Why does Laurel decide to return to the hospital the night Judge dies?
(a) Laurel feels as though her father needs her.
(b) Laurel wanted to ask Judge a question.
(c) Laurel wanted to give instructions to the night nurse.
(d) Laurel forgot her book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laurel's mood as they wait for the surgery to end?
2. What is wrong with Judge's eye?
3. Why is Fay unhappy with Judge's circumstances?
4. What character traits best describe Judge?
5. What shocks Laurel about her parent's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it appropriate for Fay to expect Judge to take her dancing?
2. How did Judge react to his wife's illness toward the end of her life?
3. Why does Fay refuse to get up the next morning?
4. Describe Judge and Laurel's relationship as shown in Chapter 2.
5. What other decision has Fay made about the wake that Laurel dislikes?
6. Why does Judge become depressed?
7. Describe Judge McKelva.
8. Who is waiting when the train arrives in Judge's hometown?
9. How does Laurel feel about Fay at this point in the story, Part 3, Chapter 4?
10. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel after her father passes away?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)