|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Adele say about death?
(a) Death is something to look forward to.
(b) Death is painful and unfair.
(c) People cannot avoid death.
(d) People live their own way and die their own way.
2. How do Fay and Laurel travel back to Mississippi?
(a) By car.
(b) By train.
(c) By bus.
(d) By plane.
3. Who is Fay?
(a) Laurel's Sister.
(b) Judge's Sister.
(c) Judge's Wife.
(d) Laurel's Cousin.
4. What character traits best describe Judge?
(a) Slow and eager.
(b) Aloof and unconcerned.
(c) Gentle, kind, patient.
(d) Mean, angry, dark.
5. Why does Laurel believe her father would not have wanted an open coffin?
(a) He did not allow one at his wife's funeral.
(b) He did not like the way he looked.
(c) He did not want his friends to remember him in a coffin.
(d) An open coffin goes against his religious beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurel do after the nurse tells her about Fay's abuse toward Judge?
2. What is significant about Fay's age?
3. What is the name of the hotel where Laurel gets rooms for herself and Fay?
4. Why does Judge need to see the doctor?
5. What character traits best describe Fay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Judge McKelva.
2. What does the red paint on her father's desk represent to Laurel?
3. Where does Laurel expect her father to be buried?
4. What makes Laurel unhappy about her father's coffin?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Fay complain about while waiting for Judge to come out of surgery?
6. Who is waiting when the train arrives in Judge's hometown?
7. How does Laurel finally catch the bird?
8. What is discussed over dinner after the funeral?
9. Who consoles Laurel after the funeral?
10. What story of her mother's does Laurel recall in Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)