|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Laurel when she sees the coffin?
(a) Fay had the coffin lined with yellow taffeta.
(b) Fay bought a cheap coffin.
(c) Fay had the coffin lined with peach satin.
(d) Fay chose the wrong coffin.
2. What upsets Fay when she returns home from meeting with the funeral director?
(a) The number of people in her house for Laurel.
(b) The excessive food in her kitchen. She is on a diet.
(c) The number of people in her house she does not know.
(d) The excessive food in her kitchen. She is diabetiic.
3. Who is waiting with Fay at the hospital?
(b) Dr. Courtland.
(c) Major Bullock.
(d) Miss Adele.
4. How does Fay react when Dr. Courtland says Judge has died?
(a) Fay thanks Dr. Courtland for all his hard work.
(b) Fay accuses Dr.Courtland of killing her husband.
(c) Fay accuses Dr. Courtland of allowing Judge to die on her birthday.
(d) Fay tells Dr. Courtland she does not believe him.
5. Who makes arrangements for Laurel and Fay's living space and Judge's care?
(d) Dr. Courtland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character traits best describe Judge?
2. Who meets the train when Fay and Laurel arrive back in Mississippi?
3. What does Fay accuse Laurel of doing to Judge?
4. What was Judge doing when he experienced symptoms related to his doctor's visit?
5. Why does Judge refuse to ask Laurel about her work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judge chose a doctor in New Orleans rather than one close to home?
2. Why does Laurel refuse to gossip about Fay?
3. How does gossip affect the plot in Part 3, Chapter 1?
4. Why does Laurel believe her father died?
5. Where does Laurel expect her father to be buried?
6. Do you think Fay's behavior is appropriate in Chapter 2?
7. What does the nurse tell Laurel when she arrives at the hospital? How does Laurel react?
8. Why does Fay refuse to get up the next morning?
9. What does Fay do when she sees the coffin?
10. What story of her mother's does Laurel recall in Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)