|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Laurel's mother write to Judge?
(a) Once a year on their anniversary.
(b) Weekly whenever they were apart.
(c) Monthly whenever they were apart.
(d) Every day whenever they were apart.
2. Who does Laurel hope to never see again?
(a) The bridesmaids.
(d) Fay's mother.
3. What does Laurel find in her father's library?
(a) Love letters.
(b) The will.
(c) Speeches from when he was mayor.
4. What does the absence of the letters symbolize to Laurel?
(a) The death of her mother.
(b) Fay's interference in Judge's life.
(c) Her father's attempts to hide that part of his life from Fay.
(d) Judge's lack of emotion for his first wife.
5. What color paint does Laurel find on her father's desk?
6. Who walks Laurel home?
(a) Major Bullock.
(c) The bridesmaids.
(d) Miss Adele.
7. What did Fay leave unmade before going to New Orleans?
(a) The bed.
(b) A party guest list.
(c) A quilt.
8. What does Laurel find in the house when she returns?
(a) A burglar.
(b) A wild boar.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bird.
9. Who are the surprised guests who arrive at the house the morning of the funeral?
(a) Fay's ex-boyfriend.
(b) Fay's family.
(c) Laurel's husband.
(d) Laurel's boss.
10. Why does Laurel have dinner with the bridesmaids?
(a) To remember the good times.
(b) To say goodbye.
(c) To remember Judge.
(d) To get drunk and party.
11. What does Major Bullock do before leaving Laurel?
(a) Reminds her to stop by to say goodbye before she leaves town.
(b) Turns on the lights in the house.
(c) Asks if Laurel has found her father's will.
(d) Chases off a burglar.
12. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) They do not react at all.
(b) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
(c) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(d) The declare a city-wide holiday.
13. What was significant about the death of Laurel's grandfather?
(a) He died alone.
(b) He died at work.
(c) He died at home.
(d) He died while on vacation.
14. What is Laurel looking for in her father's library?
(a) The deed to the house.
(b) Love letters.
(c) The will.
(d) Judge's checkbook.
15. What does Fay take with her?
(a) The will.
(b) A Virginia ham.
(c) The china.
(d) Judge's checkbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the old women think Judge lost?
2. Who does Laurel have dinner with in Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. What do the old women ask Laurel not to do?
4. How did Laurel's grandfather die?
5. What does Laurel remember about her mother as she prepared to go into the hospital?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)