|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the surprised guests who arrive at the house the morning of the funeral?
(a) Fay's ex-boyfriend.
(b) Laurel's boss.
(c) Laurel's husband.
(d) Fay's family.
2. What does the absence of the letters symbolize to Laurel?
(a) The death of her mother.
(b) Her father's attempts to hide that part of his life from Fay.
(c) Fay's interference in Judge's life.
(d) Judge's lack of emotion for his first wife.
3. What was significant about the death of Laurel's grandfather?
(a) He died at work.
(b) He died alone.
(c) He died at home.
(d) He died while on vacation.
4. Why would Judge want to keep evidence of his first wife from Fay?
(a) To protect Fay from Judge's continuing feelings for his first wife.
(b) To keep Fay from destroying them.
(c) To keep those memories sacred.
(d) To keep Fay from getting jealous.
5. Where does Laurel believe her home is?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) In her father's house.
(d) New York.
6. Where does Laurel find herself trapped after she traps the bird in the upstairs hall?
(a) The master bedroom.
(b) Her childhood bedroom.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The garage.
7. Who discusses Judge's estate?
(a) Fay's mother.
8. Why is Laurel saddened when she thinks of Phil?
(a) He stole from her.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He died too young.
(d) He hurt her feelings.
9. Who is it suggested would do the cooking in the house?
(a) Fay's mother.
10. What do the old women think Judge lost?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His will.
(c) His mind.
(d) His judgement.
11. Who does Laurel have dinner with in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The bridesmaids.
(d) Miss Adele.
12. What did Judge think was enough?
(a) Giving his wife material things she needed.
(b) Giving his wife money.
(c) Giving his wife a house and cars.
(d) Giving his wife a child.
13. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
(b) They do not react at all.
(c) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(d) The declare a city-wide holiday.
14. How often did Laurel's mother write to Judge?
(a) Monthly whenever they were apart.
(b) Every day whenever they were apart.
(c) Weekly whenever they were apart.
(d) Once a year on their anniversary.
15. How did Laurel's grandfather die?
(b) Heart attack.
(d) His appendix burst.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who put the paint on the desk?
2. What does the pain symbolize to Laurel?
3. How long after his first wife died did Judge marry Fay?
4. What does Laurel hope to find in Judge's library besides her mother's letters?
5. How many birds are in the house?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)