|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the surprised guests who arrive at the house the morning of the funeral?
(a) Fay's ex-boyfriend.
(b) Laurel's boss.
(c) Fay's family.
(d) Laurel's husband.
2. What does Fay take with her?
(a) Judge's checkbook.
(b) A Virginia ham.
(c) The china.
(d) The will.
3. What do the old women think Judge lost?
(a) His judgement.
(b) His will.
(c) His mind.
(d) His wallet.
4. Who comforts Laurel after the funeral?
(a) Major Bullock.
(c) Miss Adele.
5. Where is Laurel trapped?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) Her childhood bedroom.
(c) The kitchen..
(d) Her parents bedroom.
6. What does the absence of the letters symbolize to Laurel?
(a) Fay's interference in Judge's life.
(b) Her father's attempts to hide that part of his life from Fay.
(c) Judge's lack of emotion for his first wife.
(d) The death of her mother.
7. Why does Fay's mother pity Laurel?
(a) She feels bad that Laurel is now an orphan.
(b) She believes no one is there to support and comfort Laurel.
(c) She knows Laurel is a widow and worries her father's death has brought back too many memories.
(d) She knows Laurel dislikes Fay.
8. Who do the bridesmaids remember over dinner?
(a) Childhood friends.
(b) Their own children.
(c) Laurel's husband.
(d) Judge and his first wife.
9. Where do the unexpected guests come from?
(a) New York.
10. What disturbs Laurel during the funeral service?
(a) The noises from the new interstate.
(b) A woodchuck peeking up under the coffin.
(c) Fay's crying.
(d) A mosquito.
11. Why would Judge want to keep evidence of his first wife from Fay?
(a) To keep those memories sacred.
(b) To protect Fay from Judge's continuing feelings for his first wife.
(c) To keep Fay from destroying them.
(d) To keep Fay from getting jealous.
12. What does Laurel find in the small sewing room attached to her parents room?
(a) Old sewing projects.
(b) Pictures of Fay with another man.
(c) Old photo albums.
(d) Her mother's desk.
13. What is Laurel looking for in her father's library?
(a) The will.
(b) The deed to the house.
(c) Judge's checkbook.
(d) Love letters.
14. Where does Laurel believe her home is?
(a) In her father's house.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
15. Where did Judge eat on Sundays?
(a) Major Bullock's.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the optimist?
2. How did Laurel's grandfather die?
3. Who discusses Judge's estate?
4. Who would legally inherit the house if there is no will?
5. What does Laurel hope is in bloom at her mother's grave?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)