|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Laurel trapped?
(a) There is a mouse in the kitchen.
(b) There is a bird flying around in the house.
(c) There is a burglar in the house.
(d) There is a fire in the house.
2. Who comforts Laurel after the funeral?
(b) Miss Adele.
(c) Major Bullock.
3. Who put the paint on the desk?
4. How old was Judge when he married Fay?
(b) Almost seventy.
(d) Nearly ninety.
5. What color paint does Laurel find on her father's desk?
6. Who does Laurel blame for her father's death?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The nurses.
7. What did Fay leave unmade before going to New Orleans?
(a) The bed.
(b) A party guest list.
(d) A quilt.
8. How old are most of Laurel's friends' children?
(a) College age.
(b) Grammar school aged.
9. What does the pain symbolize to Laurel?
(b) Fay's imprint on everything in Judge's life.
(d) Judge's death.
10. What did Laurel's mother like to do when she went home to West Virginia?
(b) Ride horses.
(c) Explore and watch birds.
(d) Hike and pick wild flowers.
11. What does Laurel hope is in bloom at her mother's grave?
12. Why do the old women dislike Fay?
(a) She is shallow and unkind.
(b) She does not take care of the house.
(c) She made Judge unhappy.
(d) She will not gossip with them.
13. Why would Judge want to keep evidence of his first wife from Fay?
(a) To keep those memories sacred.
(b) To keep Fay from destroying them.
(c) To keep Fay from getting jealous.
(d) To protect Fay from Judge's continuing feelings for his first wife.
14. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(b) The declare a city-wide holiday.
(c) They do not react at all.
(d) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
15. Who is Phil?
(a) Fay's brother.
(b) Laurel's husband.
(c) Fay's ex-husband.
(d) Laurel's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Laurel plan to stay?
2. How does Fay react to her family's arrival?
3. What does Fay not do?
4. Who do they women think Fay takes after?
5. Where is Laurel trapped?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)