|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laurel find in her father's library?
(a) Speeches from when he was mayor.
(c) The will.
(d) Love letters.
2. What does the pain symbolize to Laurel?
(a) Fay's imprint on everything in Judge's life.
(d) Judge's death.
3. Who was the optimist?
(b) Judge .
(c) Laurel's mother.
4. What does Major Bullock do before leaving Laurel?
(a) Turns on the lights in the house.
(b) Asks if Laurel has found her father's will.
(c) Chases off a burglar.
(d) Reminds her to stop by to say goodbye before she leaves town.
5. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) The declare a city-wide holiday.
(b) They do not react at all.
(c) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(d) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
6. Who walks Laurel home?
(a) The bridesmaids.
(c) Miss Adele.
(d) Major Bullock.
7. Where did the paint come from?
(a) Fay's fingernail polish.
(b) From a remodeling job completed the year before.
(c) From a painting that did not dry properly.
(d) Judge's model airplanes.
8. How did Judge react to conflict at home?
(a) He enjoyed it.
(b) He ignored it.
(c) He blamed his wife for it.
(d) He caused it.
9. What is in her mother's desk?
(a) Pictures of her mother and another man.
(b) The love letters her mother wrote to her father.
(c) Pictures of Judge with Fay.
(d) Childhood momentoes, such as report cards.
10. Who is the portrait of hanging in Judge's library?
(a) Judge himself.
(b) The President of the United States.
(c) His Confederate father.
(d) His Union father.
11. How did Laurel's grandfather die?
(b) His appendix burst.
(c) Heart attack.
12. Where does Laurel find herself trapped after she traps the bird in the upstairs hall?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) Her childhood bedroom.
(c) The master bedroom.
(d) The garage.
13. Who does Laurel have dinner with in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Miss Adele.
(c) The bridesmaids.
14. How does Fay react to her family's arrival?
(a) Fay is relieved to have someone there to comfort her.
(b) Fay is happy, she has not seen her family in years.
(c) Fay is angry no one told her they were coming.
(d) Fay is annoyed because she told everyone she had no family.
15. What does Laurel do when she sees what is in the house?
(a) She calls the police.
(b) She shuts all the windows and the upstairs doors.
(c) She goes and gets Major Bullock.
(d) She hides in the garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Laurel trapped?
2. Why does Fay want to go to Texas?
3. What does Laurel hope is in bloom at her mother's grave?
4. What do the old women think Judge lost?
5. Why does Laurel have dinner with the bridesmaids?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)