|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in her mother's desk?
(a) Pictures of Judge with Fay.
(b) Childhood momentoes, such as report cards.
(c) The love letters her mother wrote to her father.
(d) Pictures of her mother and another man.
2. Where is Judge buried?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) In the new section of the cemetery.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) Beside Laurel's mother.
3. Where do the unexpected guests come from?
(c) New York.
4. Why do the old women dislike Fay?
(a) She does not take care of the house.
(b) She is shallow and unkind.
(c) She will not gossip with them.
(d) She made Judge unhappy.
5. What does Laurel find in her father's library?
(a) Speeches from when he was mayor.
(c) The will.
(d) Love letters.
6. What does everyone assume Fay will inherit?
(a) A boat.
(b) The house.
(c) A car.
(d) The law practice.
7. Who put the paint on the desk?
8. Who do the bridesmaids remember over dinner?
(a) Their own children.
(b) Laurel's husband.
(c) Childhood friends.
(d) Judge and his first wife.
9. Who do the women blame for Judge marrying Fay?
(b) Miss Adele.
(d) Judge's first wife.
10. What does Laurel find in the small sewing room attached to her parents room?
(a) Pictures of Fay with another man.
(b) Old sewing projects.
(c) Her mother's desk.
(d) Old photo albums.
11. Who do the women hope does not inherit the house?
(c) Miss Adele.
(d) Major Bullock.
12. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(b) They do not react at all.
(c) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
(d) The declare a city-wide holiday.
13. What do the old women talk about?
(a) The weather.
(b) The funeral.
14. How does Fay react to her family's arrival?
(a) Fay is annoyed because she told everyone she had no family.
(b) Fay is happy, she has not seen her family in years.
(c) Fay is angry no one told her they were coming.
(d) Fay is relieved to have someone there to comfort her.
15. What did her father's death teach Laurel's mother?
(a) To know the symtoms of a heart attack.
(b) To always know herself.
(c) To always remember her yearly medical checkup.
(d) To never go on vacation alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the bird come from?
2. What does Fay do when she sees Judge?
3. What does Laurel hope to find in Judge's library besides her mother's letters?
4. Why does Laurel have dinner with the bridesmaids?
5. What does Laurel remember about her mother as she prepared to go into the hospital?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)