|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Judge eat on Sundays?
(a) Major Bullock's.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) At home.
2. Why does Fay's mother pity Laurel?
(a) She believes no one is there to support and comfort Laurel.
(b) She knows Laurel is a widow and worries her father's death has brought back too many memories.
(c) She knows Laurel dislikes Fay.
(d) She feels bad that Laurel is now an orphan.
3. Who discusses Judge's estate?
(a) Fay's mother.
4. What is Laurel looking for in her father's library?
(a) The deed to the house.
(b) Love letters.
(c) The will.
(d) Judge's checkbook.
5. How did Laurel's grandfather die?
(b) His appendix burst.
(c) Heart attack.
6. What disturbs Laurel during the funeral service?
(a) Fay's crying.
(b) A woodchuck peeking up under the coffin.
(c) The noises from the new interstate.
(d) A mosquito.
7. Who called these guests?
(a) Miss Adele.
(b) Major Bullock.
8. What is in her mother's desk?
(a) The love letters her mother wrote to her father.
(b) Pictures of Judge with Fay.
(c) Childhood momentoes, such as report cards.
(d) Pictures of her mother and another man.
9. What does Laurel do when she sees what is in the house?
(a) She calls the police.
(b) She shuts all the windows and the upstairs doors.
(c) She goes and gets Major Bullock.
(d) She hides in the garage.
10. How often did Laurel's mother write to Judge?
(a) Once a year on their anniversary.
(b) Every day whenever they were apart.
(c) Weekly whenever they were apart.
(d) Monthly whenever they were apart.
11. What does everyone assume Fay will inherit?
(a) The house.
(b) A car.
(c) The law practice.
(d) A boat.
12. What do the old women talk about?
(c) The funeral.
(d) The weather.
13. How does Fay react to her family's arrival?
(a) Fay is happy, she has not seen her family in years.
(b) Fay is relieved to have someone there to comfort her.
(c) Fay is angry no one told her they were coming.
(d) Fay is annoyed because she told everyone she had no family.
14. Where does the bird come from?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The garage.
15. How did Judge react to conflict at home?
(a) He enjoyed it.
(b) He caused it.
(c) He blamed his wife for it.
(d) He ignored it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they women think Fay takes after?
2. What does the pain symbolize to Laurel?
3. What does Laurel find in her father's library?
4. Who was the optimist?
5. What does Laurel hope is in bloom at her mother's grave?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)