|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Laurel's mother from?
(a) New York.
(b) West Virginia.
2. What does Laurel want to do about her feelings regarding her father's death?
(a) Scream out her accusations for everyone to hear.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Commit murder.
(d) Keep it to herself.
3. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(b) The declare a city-wide holiday.
(c) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
(d) They do not react at all.
4. How does Laurel feel about her father's things?
(a) They are old fashioned and useless.
(b) They are comforting and familiar.
(c) They are a nuisance.
(d) They are worth a great deal of money.
5. What does Laurel do when she sees what is in the house?
(a) She calls the police.
(b) She shuts all the windows and the upstairs doors.
(c) She goes and gets Major Bullock.
(d) She hides in the garage.
6. What color paint does Laurel find on her father's desk?
7. Who do the women blame for Judge marrying Fay?
(a) Miss Adele.
(c) Judge's first wife.
8. Where does Laurel believe her father will be buried?
(a) Beside her mother.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) In the new section of the cemetery.
(d) In Chicago.
9. What does the pain symbolize to Laurel?
(b) Fay's imprint on everything in Judge's life.
(c) Judge's death.
10. Who do they women think Fay takes after?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Judge's first wife.
11. Why do the old women dislike Fay?
(a) She made Judge unhappy.
(b) She is shallow and unkind.
(c) She will not gossip with them.
(d) She does not take care of the house.
12. Where did Judge eat on Sundays?
(a) At home.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) Major Bullock's.
13. What is Laurel doing when the neighbors come over?
(a) Cleaning out closets.
(d) Working in her father's garden.
14. Why is Laurel saddened when she thinks of Phil?
(a) He hurt her feelings.
(b) He died too young.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He stole from her.
15. What wore Judge out?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His garden.
(c) His work.
(d) His wives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Laurel trapped?
2. Why does Fay's mother pity Laurel?
3. What disturbs Laurel during the funeral service?
4. Where did the paint come from?
5. Why would Judge want to keep evidence of his first wife from Fay?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)