|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Laurel's mother write to Judge?
(a) Monthly whenever they were apart.
(b) Every day whenever they were apart.
(c) Weekly whenever they were apart.
(d) Once a year on their anniversary.
2. How did Laurel's grandfather die?
(b) Heart attack.
(d) His appendix burst.
3. Who does Laurel have dinner with in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The bridesmaids.
(c) Miss Adele.
4. How does the town react to Judge's death?
(a) They do not react at all.
(b) The government offices shut down, but school continues as usual.
(c) The declare a city-wide holiday.
(d) The government offices shut down and school is let out early.
5. What does the absence of the letters symbolize to Laurel?
(a) The death of her mother.
(b) Fay's interference in Judge's life.
(c) Judge's lack of emotion for his first wife.
(d) Her father's attempts to hide that part of his life from Fay.
6. What does Laurel hope is in bloom at her mother's grave?
7. How did Judge react to conflict at home?
(a) He caused it.
(b) He blamed his wife for it.
(c) He enjoyed it.
(d) He ignored it.
8. Why would Judge want to keep evidence of his first wife from Fay?
(a) To protect Fay from Judge's continuing feelings for his first wife.
(b) To keep Fay from getting jealous.
(c) To keep Fay from destroying them.
(d) To keep those memories sacred.
9. Why do the old women dislike Fay?
(a) She does not take care of the house.
(b) She is shallow and unkind.
(c) She made Judge unhappy.
(d) She will not gossip with them.
10. Where did Judge eat on Sundays?
(a) A restaurant.
(c) Major Bullock's.
(d) At home.
11. Where does Laurel find herself trapped after she traps the bird in the upstairs hall?
(a) The master bedroom.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) Her childhood bedroom.
(d) The garage.
12. Where did the paint come from?
(a) Fay's fingernail polish.
(b) From a painting that did not dry properly.
(c) Judge's model airplanes.
(d) From a remodeling job completed the year before.
13. Who comforts Laurel after the funeral?
(a) Major Bullock.
(b) Miss Adele.
14. Who would legally inherit the house if there is no will?
(a) Miss Adele.
15. Where is Judge buried?
(a) In Chicago.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) Beside Laurel's mother.
(d) In the new section of the cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Major Bullock do before leaving Laurel?
2. What do the old women ask Laurel not to do?
3. How does Fay react to her family's arrival?
4. Who does Laurel hope to never see again?
5. What does Fay not do?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)