|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Fay's age?
(a) Fay is a teenager, therefore she is indifferent to Judge's situation.
(b) Fay is much younger than Judge and younger than Fay by a few years, therefore she has trouble empathizing with Judge's situation.
(c) Fay is a child, therefore a hinderance to the situation.
(d) Fay is elderly, therefore her presence at the doctor's office is a toll on her.
2. What surprises Laurel when she sees the coffin?
(a) Fay had the coffin lined with yellow taffeta.
(b) Fay bought a cheap coffin.
(c) Fay chose the wrong coffin.
(d) Fay had the coffin lined with peach satin.
3. Who called Laurel?
(a) Major Bullock.
(b) Miss Adele.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what traits does Judge display that Laurel finds unusual to him?
(a) Optimism and happiness.
(b) Anger and meanness.
(c) Impatience and frustration.
(d) Passivity and obedience.
5. Who is Miss Adele's brother?
(a) Major Bullock.
(b) Dr. Courtland.
(c) Laurel's husband.
6. What does Laurel remember about sleeping in her room?
(a) Hearing her parents voices as they read to each other.
(b) The posters on the wall.
(c) The security of her stuffed animals.
(d) Hearing the clock ring downstairs.
7. What character traits best describe Fay?
(a) Quiet and reserved.
(b) Bubbly and outgoing.
(c) Self centered and inconsiderate.
(d) Talkative and inappropriate.
8. What character traits best describe Judge?
(a) Aloof and unconcerned.
(b) Slow and eager.
(c) Gentle, kind, patient.
(d) Mean, angry, dark.
9. Who does Fay send to the funeral home with Judge's clothes?
(a) The bridesmaids.
(b) Major Bullock.
(d) Miss Adele.
10. What upsets Fay when she returns home from meeting with the funeral director?
(a) The excessive food in her kitchen. She is on a diet.
(b) The number of people in her house for Laurel.
(c) The excessive food in her kitchen. She is diabetiic.
(d) The number of people in her house she does not know.
11. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The dining room table.
(c) Her father's desk.
(d) The living room.
12. Why does Laurel decide to return to the hospital the night Judge dies?
(a) Laurel forgot her book.
(b) Laurel wanted to give instructions to the night nurse.
(c) Laurel feels as though her father needs her.
(d) Laurel wanted to ask Judge a question.
13. What does Dr. Courtland say about Judge's eye three weeks after the surgery?
(a) That Judge will never see again.
(b) That Judge is depressed, causing the eye to heal slowly.
(c) That the healing is taking too long.
(d) That it is healing, just slowly, and Judge has some vision.
14. What is name of the family introduced in Part 1, Chapter 1?
15. What does Dr. Courtland do when he arrives in Judge's room the night Fay abuses Judge?
(a) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and asks Laurel to leave.
(b) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and declares him perfectly healthy.
(c) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and calls the police on Fay.
(d) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and tells Fay to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Laurel concerned about her father?
2. Who are the bridesmaids?
3. Why can Judge not be moved?
4. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
5. Why does Judge decide to see this particular doctor?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)