|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Courtland call to meet Fay and Laurel in Mississippi?
(a) His sister, Miss Adele.
(b) The bridesmaids, Laurel's close friends.
(c) Major Bullock, Judge's good friend.
(d) Missouri, Judge's maid.
2. What is Judge's outlook on life?
(a) He is glum.
(b) He is neither optomistic nor pessimistic,but in between.
(c) He is an optimist.
(d) He is a pessimist.
3. Why does Laurel go to check on Fay after Missouri?
(a) Fay is gone.
(b) Fay refuses to get up.
(c) Fay is not breathing.
(d) Fay is sick.
4. What was Judge doing when he experienced symptoms related to his doctor's visit?
(b) Arguing with Fay.
(c) Eating lunch.
(d) Standing on the porch after pruning the roses.
5. Who does Judge ask for when he wakes after surgery?
(a) Miss Adele.
(b) Dr. Courtland.
6. What does Dr. Courtland say about Judge's eye three weeks after the surgery?
(a) That it is healing, just slowly, and Judge has some vision.
(b) That Judge is depressed, causing the eye to heal slowly.
(c) That the healing is taking too long.
(d) That Judge will never see again.
7. What is significant about Fay's age?
(a) Fay is much younger than Judge and younger than Fay by a few years, therefore she has trouble empathizing with Judge's situation.
(b) Fay is a child, therefore a hinderance to the situation.
(c) Fay is elderly, therefore her presence at the doctor's office is a toll on her.
(d) Fay is a teenager, therefore she is indifferent to Judge's situation.
8. Who meets the train when Fay and Laurel arrive back in Mississippi?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The whole town.
(c) The police chief.
(d) The bridesmaids, Major Bullock, and Miss Adele.
9. How are they transported to the hospital?
(a) Shuttle boat.
(d) Private car.
10. Why does Judge refuse to ask Laurel about her work?
(a) Judge is angry with Laurel for coming to New Orleans.
(b) Judge would rather talk about himself.
(c) Judge does not care about Laurel's work.
(d) Judge feels bad for forcing Laurel into idleness.
11. What does Dr. Courtland tell Laurel about Judge after he dies?
(a) Dr. Courtland says Judge was his father.
(b) Dr. Courtland says Judge paid for his medical school training.
(c) Dr. Courtland says Judge bought him a house.
(d) Dr. Courtland says Judge owed him money.
12. How do Fay and Laurel travel back to Mississippi?
(a) By plane.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By bus.
13. Who is Fay?
(a) Judge's Sister.
(b) Laurel's Sister.
(c) Judge's Wife.
(d) Laurel's Cousin.
14. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
(a) She was a lawyer.
(b) She was a teacher.
(c) She was a secretary at the Gulf Coast Hotel.
(d) She was a maid.
15. Why is Laurel upset that Fay wants the coffin to be open?
(a) Laurel does not want to see her father.
(b) Laurel does not believe their friends would want to see Judge in the coffin.
(c) Laurel does not like the way her father looks.
(d) Laurel does not believe her father would have wanted an open coffin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is name of the family introduced in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. Who is Miss Adele's brother?
3. Who attempts to befriend Fay at the Hibiscus Hotel?
4. How did Judge meet Fay?
5. What does Laurel hear when she approaches the Judge's room the night he dies?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)