|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laurel believe the lining of the coffin does to her father?
(a) Makes Judge look feminine.
(b) Makes Judge look sickly.
(c) Makes Judge look healthy.
(d) Makes Judge look like a seashell.
2. Who is Miss Adele's brother?
(b) Dr. Courtland.
(c) Laurel's husband.
(d) Major Bullock.
3. Who is Fay?
(a) Laurel's Sister.
(b) Laurel's Cousin.
(c) Judge's Wife.
(d) Judge's Sister.
4. What character traits best describe Fay?
(a) Talkative and inappropriate.
(b) Self centered and inconsiderate.
(c) Quiet and reserved.
(d) Bubbly and outgoing.
5. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
(a) She was a lawyer.
(b) She was a secretary at the Gulf Coast Hotel.
(c) She was a teacher.
(d) She was a maid.
6. Who attempts to befriend Fay at the Hibiscus Hotel?
(a) Dr. Courtland.
(d) Miss Adele.
7. What does Laurel hear when she approaches the Judge's room the night he dies?
(a) Fay yelling at Judge.
(b) Fay conspiring with the nurse to kill Judge.
(c) Fay telling Judge about her plans to return to Mississippi.
(d) Fay confessing to an affair.
8. Why is Laurel upset that Fay wants the coffin to be open?
(a) Laurel does not like the way her father looks.
(b) Laurel does not believe her father would have wanted an open coffin.
(c) Laurel does not want to see her father.
(d) Laurel does not believe their friends would want to see Judge in the coffin.
9. What does Dr. Courtland do when he arrives in Judge's room the night Fay abuses Judge?
(a) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and asks Laurel to leave.
(b) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and declares him perfectly healthy.
(c) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and calls the police on Fay.
(d) Dr. Courtland examines Judge and tells Fay to leave.
10. What does Laurel overhear Fay saying to Judge?
(a) Fay expresses her concern for Judge's health.
(b) Fay is complaining about being stuck in the hospital and not being able to go to carnival.
(c) Fay complains that Judge is taking too long to heal.
(d) Fay complains about the conditions at the Hibiscus.
11. What does Fay do when Laurel tells her Judge might be dying?
(a) Fay laughs.
(b) Fay faints.
(c) Fay spits on Laurel.
(d) Fay becomes hysterical with grief.
12. How does Judge look after surgery?
(a) Awful, he has bruises and tubes in his arms.
(b) Awful, His head is wrapped in bandages and their are sandbags beside his face.
(c) Good, he looks like he always has.
(d) Good, he only has a patch on his eye.
13. What does the nurse tell Laurel about Fay when she arrives?
(a) The nurse says Fay was shaking Judge.
(b) The nurse says Fay was cursing at Judge.
(c) The nurse says Fay was smoothering Judge.
(d) The nurse says Fay was giving Judge an injection.
14. What surprises Laurel when she sees the coffin?
(a) Fay chose the wrong coffin.
(b) Fay had the coffin lined with peach satin.
(c) Fay bought a cheap coffin.
(d) Fay had the coffin lined with yellow taffeta.
15. What is significant about Fay's age?
(a) Fay is a child, therefore a hinderance to the situation.
(b) Fay is a teenager, therefore she is indifferent to Judge's situation.
(c) Fay is elderly, therefore her presence at the doctor's office is a toll on her.
(d) Fay is much younger than Judge and younger than Fay by a few years, therefore she has trouble empathizing with Judge's situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fay react to seeing Judge after surgery?
2. Who tells Laurel and Fay the surgery is over?
3. How are they transported to the hospital?
4. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what traits does Judge display that Laurel finds unusual to him?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)