|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Dr. Courtland say about Judge's eye?
(a) It is healing, he just needs to be patient.
(b) It is infected.
(c) It is not healing properly.
(d) It is healing, but he will not regain his sight in that eye.
2. What does the nurse tell Laurel and Fay not to do?
(a) Jiggle or move Judge.
(b) Give Judge food.
(c) Give Judge water.
(d) Make Judge laugh.
3. What is Fay's mood as they wait for Judge to return from surgery?
(a) She is worried about the cost of the hospital bill.
(b) Annoyed that she is in New Orleans but stuck in a hospital room.
(c) She is happy Judge is getting the treatment he needs.
(d) She is worried about Judge.
4. What does Fay say when Laurel tells her to get up?
(a) Fay says she does not want to go to the funeral.
(b) Fay says she is ill.
(c) Fay says she is the widow and everyone will wait for her.
(d) Fay says she is too depressed to get up.
5. Why does Laurel go to check on Fay after Missouri?
(a) Fay is sick.
(b) Fay refuses to get up.
(c) Fay is gone.
(d) Fay is not breathing.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what traits does Judge display that Laurel finds unusual to him?
(a) Impatience and frustration.
(b) Anger and meanness.
(c) Passivity and obedience.
(d) Optimism and happiness.
7. Where does Laurel put Miss Adele's gift?
(a) The dining room table.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The living room.
(d) Her father's desk.
8. What does Laurel overhear Fay saying to Judge?
(a) Fay complains that Judge is taking too long to heal.
(b) Fay is complaining about being stuck in the hospital and not being able to go to carnival.
(c) Fay expresses her concern for Judge's health.
(d) Fay complains about the conditions at the Hibiscus.
9. Why does Judge need to see the doctor?
(a) Judge has high blood pressure.
(b) Judge has been feeling sick to his stomach.
(c) Judge needs immunizations to travel.
(d) Judge is having trouble with his eye sight.
10. What does Laurel see in Judge's face after Fay's abuse?
(a) Laurel sees that Judge is dying.
(b) Laurel sees that Judge's eye has been reinjured.
(c) Laurel sees that Judge is angry.
(d) Laurel sees that Judge is in love with Fay.
11. What city does Laurel live in?
(a) New York.
(b) New Orleans.
(c) San Francisco.
12. What does Dr. Courtland say about Judge's eye three weeks after the surgery?
(a) That it is healing, just slowly, and Judge has some vision.
(b) That the healing is taking too long.
(c) That Judge will never see again.
(d) That Judge is depressed, causing the eye to heal slowly.
13. What was Fay's job when she met Judge?
(a) She was a maid.
(b) She was a lawyer.
(c) She was a secretary at the Gulf Coast Hotel.
(d) She was a teacher.
14. What surprises Laurel when she sees the coffin?
(a) Fay chose the wrong coffin.
(b) Fay had the coffin lined with peach satin.
(c) Fay bought a cheap coffin.
(d) Fay had the coffin lined with yellow taffeta.
15. What does Laurel do with Judge during her time with him?
(a) Watches television.
(b) Laurel reads to Judge.
(c) Laurel works on her fashion designs.
(d) Laurel talks to Judge about her dislike of Fay.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Judge met Fay did they get married?
2. Why does Judge decide to see this particular doctor?
3. Who does Judge ask for when he wakes after surgery?
4. What is significant about Fay's age?
5. What is name of the family introduced in Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)