|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Courtland say about Judge's eye three weeks after the surgery?
(a) That the healing is taking too long.
(b) That Judge will never see again.
(c) That it is healing, just slowly, and Judge has some vision.
(d) That Judge is depressed, causing the eye to heal slowly.
2. Who does Dr. Courtland call to meet Fay and Laurel in Mississippi?
(a) His sister, Miss Adele.
(b) Major Bullock, Judge's good friend.
(c) Missouri, Judge's maid.
(d) The bridesmaids, Laurel's close friends.
3. Why does Laurel believe her father would not have wanted an open coffin?
(a) He did not want his friends to remember him in a coffin.
(b) He did not allow one at his wife's funeral.
(c) He did not like the way he looked.
(d) An open coffin goes against his religious beliefs.
4. Where did Fay and Judge get married?
(a) Judge's backyard.
(b) Gulf Coast Hotel.
(c) The Baptist church.
(d) The county courthouse.
5. How does Judge look after surgery?
(a) Good, he looks like he always has.
(b) Awful, he has bruises and tubes in his arms.
(c) Good, he only has a patch on his eye.
(d) Awful, His head is wrapped in bandages and their are sandbags beside his face.
6. Who meets the train when Fay and Laurel arrive back in Mississippi?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The bridesmaids, Major Bullock, and Miss Adele.
(c) The whole town.
(d) The police chief.
7. Why does Laurel fly to New Orleans?
(a) To attend a family reunion.
(b) To go with Judge to the eye doctor.
(c) To go to a funeral.
(d) To attend a business conference.
8. Who is Fay?
(a) Laurel's Sister.
(b) Judge's Sister.
(c) Laurel's Cousin.
(d) Judge's Wife.
9. How does Fay react to seeing Judge after surgery?
(a) She is outraged that no one warned her about the bandages.
(b) She is saddened by his bandages.
(c) She is happy he is safe.
(d) She is worried about his pain levels.
10. What kind of doctor does Judge McKelva go to see?
(a) Family Doctor.
(b) Cancer Doctor.
(c) Eye Doctor.
(d) Heart Doctor.
11. What does Laurel overhear Fay saying to Judge?
(a) Fay complains that Judge is taking too long to heal.
(b) Fay is complaining about being stuck in the hospital and not being able to go to carnival.
(c) Fay complains about the conditions at the Hibiscus.
(d) Fay expresses her concern for Judge's health.
12. How long after Judge met Fay did they get married?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) A month.
13. What does Laurel believe the lining of the coffin does to her father?
(a) Makes Judge look like a seashell.
(b) Makes Judge look healthy.
(c) Makes Judge look feminine.
(d) Makes Judge look sickly.
14. Who attempts to befriend Fay at the Hibiscus Hotel?
(a) Miss Adele.
(c) Dr. Courtland.
15. What does Fay say when Laurel tells her to get up?
(a) Fay says she is the widow and everyone will wait for her.
(b) Fay says she is ill.
(c) Fay says she does not want to go to the funeral.
(d) Fay says she is too depressed to get up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Laurel?
2. Who is waiting with Fay at the hospital?
3. Why can Judge not be moved?
4. What does Miss Adele say about death?
5. What does Laurel do after the nurse tells her about Fay's abuse toward Judge?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)