|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The bourgeois' attempt at creating national industry has had a short and low flight, like a __________.
2. What, according to Galeano, is Latin America's real export?
3. In 1968, what product did Uruguay agree to limit so the country could receive goods under the US agricultural surplus law?
4. How does Latin America make up for what it loses in price?
5. What does Galeano say are his most favorable review of the books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was General Velasco Alvarado and what did he do?
2. Where is most of the USA's investment in Latin America concentrated?
3. Has the nationalization of oil been beneficial for Venezuela?
4. According to the author, how do Latin American countries still identify themselves?
5. How does Latin America compensate for the low prices of its exports?
6. What is Latin America's chief export?
7. After Latin America was liberated from Spain, what country inherited its reins?
8. Why does Galeano believe torture exists in Latin American dictatorships?
9. Describe the three "heartening" examples Galeano provides about the people's reception of his book.
10. What is Brazil's relationship to Paraguay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Has Galeano's novel changed your worldview? Why or why not? What was the most surprising thing you read in the novel? Are you morally opposed to anything that you read? Why or why not? Feel free to use properly cited quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How has the coffee industry helped Latin American economy? How has it hurt Latin American economy throughout the ages? Who really profits from the coffee trade? What Latin American countries are the largest exporters of coffee? Has coffee contributed to the Latin American "hunger wages"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the beginnings of the conquest of Latin America. What factors led the Spanish to finance Columbus's trip? What were the results of that voyage? What were the missions of Cortez and Pizarro? How did the natives react to the invasion? What were the factors in the defeat of the great civilizations of Latin America?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)