|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1975, how many times greater was Latin America's external debt than in 1968?
2. In Uruguay, how many workers died in the railway gelignite explosion of 1977?
3. What percentage of Latin American loans are provided by the USA?
4. What metaphor does the author use to describe industry in Latin America?
5. According to the "Capitalist Manifesto", what natural code governs human life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the official political image of de Rosas?
2. Where is most of the USA's investment in Latin America concentrated?
3. How have foreign loans kept Latin America indebted to foreigners?
4. After Latin America was liberated from Spain, what country inherited its reins?
5. Why, once prosperous, is Paraguay today an extremely poor and backward country?
6. What is Brazil's relationship to Paraguay?
7. How, in Argentina, are political and economic revolutionaries dealt with?
8. How does Latin America compensate for the low prices of its exports?
9. Why does Galeano believe torture exists in Latin American dictatorships?
10. Why did the Argentine financial center move to Buenos Aires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to "Seven Years Later," has Latin America made any progress since the novel was originally published? Why or why not? Have any areas gained ground at all? Have any areas lost ground? How, internationally, can the world market attribute to Latin America's advancement?
Essay Topic 2
The author has a powerful point of view throughout the text. Choose three specific instances that you feel the author is making his voice clear. What are his opinions throughout the work? How are is points effective for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Tupac Amaru? What were his ties to ancient Latin America? What causes did he champion? How did he meet his end?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)