|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does IMF stand for?
2. In Argentina, what often happens to the politically outspoken?
3. From where does Galeano think that modern-day slavers operate?
4. How does Latin America make up for what it loses in price?
5. What kind of development is currently characteristic in Latin America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, once prosperous, is Paraguay today an extremely poor and backward country?
2. Without what, according to the author, would the USA not have been able to become independent?
3. What is the official political image of de Rosas?
4. Where is most of the USA's investment in Latin America concentrated?
5. How, in Argentina, are political and economic revolutionaries dealt with?
6. How have foreign loans kept Latin America indebted to foreigners?
7. How did Bolivia achieve general amnesty?
8. Why did the Argentine financial center move to Buenos Aires?
9. Describe the three "heartening" examples Galeano provides about the people's reception of his book.
10. Why, according to Galeano, has he written this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
South America took the brunt of foreign interest ever since Columbus landed, but how was Central America drawn into the fray? What Central American exports continue to be of value to the international market? How was the land in Central America seized? Who is William Walker and what was his role in Central America? What was the situation in Nicaragua, and who was Jorge Ubico?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one section of the novel to research in depth. Create a 5+ page research paper detailing all the events of the section. Be sure to explain why the section has been included in the novel and how it pertains to the work as a whole
Essay Topic 3
Examine the beginnings of the conquest of Latin America. What factors led the Spanish to finance Columbus's trip? What were the results of that voyage? What were the missions of Cortez and Pizarro? How did the natives react to the invasion? What were the factors in the defeat of the great civilizations of Latin America?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)