|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is General Hugo Banzer?
2. What item(s), smuggled out of Brazil, costs the country about $100 million a year?
3. What is a "trade gap"?
4. Which country has the best chance of establishing a Common Market of Latin America?
5. What is the top petroleum exporter in Latin America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brazil's relationship to Paraguay?
2. Why was the nitrate industry in Latin America abruptly halted?
3. Why does Galeano believe torture exists in Latin American dictatorships?
4. What country holds most of Latin America's loans, and what percentage does this country hold?
5. Why do Latin American governments do nothing about all their funds flowing into foreign banks?
6. What is the official political image of de Rosas?
7. Where is most of the USA's investment in Latin America concentrated?
8. Who was General Velasco Alvarado and what did he do?
9. Why is it ironic that Haiti is the world's chief producer of baseballs?
10. How have foreign loans kept Latin America indebted to foreigners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the phrase "History repeats itself." Do you think history really repeat itself? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your argument. Include specific cases in Latin American history.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jose Artigas? What is agrarian reform? What policies did he attempt to put into place? What world forces did he oppose? What was the agrarian reform of 1815? What ultimately happened to Artigas? How is Artigas view in Latin America today?
Essay Topic 3
"The internal market, limited by the poverty of the masses, cannot sustain the development of manufacturers beyond certain limits" (p. 169). How is this quote applicable again and again in Latin American history? Find three situations where this quote proves true, and unpack the reasons why.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)