|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Hapsburg King of Spain was obsessed with religious wars, draining Spain's coffers and exploited Latin America?
2. What did the export of guano help stave off in Europe?
3. What resources caused the boom of the Minas Gerais region?
4. What area's maps were given to private concerns with the aid of a US government geological survey?
5. What was the Chaco War of 1932-1935?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Thomas North and what did he do?
2. What caused the collapse of the Chilean nitrate trade?
3. How has the coffee industry hurt the people of Latin America?
4. What is the significance of the rainbow in Haiti?
5. Why can many Latin American countries not sustain the developments of manufacture?
6. Though coffee and petroleum are invaluable on a world market, why does Latin America still not profit from having these resources in abundance?
7. How did the USA attempt to discourage the world market from purchasing oil from Brazil?
8. Explain the "horseman and horse" relationship between Latin America and Europe.
9. What is responsible for the collapse of Brazil's rubber industry?
10. How did the USA attempt to derail the Brazilian oil market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Tupac Amaru? What were his ties to ancient Latin America? What causes did he champion? How did he meet his end?
Essay Topic 2
Has Galeano's novel changed your worldview? Why or why not? What was the most surprising thing you read in the novel? Are you morally opposed to anything that you read? Why or why not? Feel free to use properly cited quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
"The internal market, limited by the poverty of the masses, cannot sustain the development of manufacturers beyond certain limits" (p. 169). How is this quote applicable again and again in Latin American history? Find three situations where this quote proves true, and unpack the reasons why.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)