|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If slaves arrived in the colony and were too ill to work, what happened to them?
2. In the 1890s, Chile's dependence on Great Britain was comparable to what other colonized country?
3. Who was Guatemalan tyrant Jorge Ubico's idol?
4. What year did Brazil abolish slavery?
5. How did Asia acquire rubber tree seeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to the author, has the USA avoided many of the problems Latin America has faced?
2. Why was a US government geological survey conducted of the Brazilian Amazon?
3. Describe some of the technological accomplishments of the original inhabitants of Latin American--the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs.
4. Today, what resource is mined in Minas Gerais, and by whom?
5. What caused the collapse of the Chilean nitrate trade?
6. Why was guano, or nitrate, so valuable to Europeans?
7. What were some of the factors in the conquistadors' victory over the native peoples of America?
8. Why can many Latin American countries not sustain the developments of manufacture?
9. Who was John Thomas North and what did he do?
10. Who is Jose Artigas and what did he accomplish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened in the city of Potosi? What was Potosi's main export? Could Potosi be an example of a "metropolis-satellite" relationship? Why or why not? Who or whom mined the silver in Potosi? How were the veins of Potosi stripped? What is Potosi like today?
Essay Topic 2
How has the coffee industry helped Latin American economy? How has it hurt Latin American economy throughout the ages? Who really profits from the coffee trade? What Latin American countries are the largest exporters of coffee? Has coffee contributed to the Latin American "hunger wages"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one Latin American revolutionary to explore. Who was this person? What country did he belong to? What major issues did he represent? What is the current public opinions of this person? What are the author's opinions of this person? What are your opinions of this person? Be sure to use properly cited quotations from the text.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)