|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Columbus think he had landed, even during his third voyage?
2. What region took over the rubber industry from Brazil in 1913?
3. What rationalization was used by the conquerors who enslaved the native populations?
4. What area's maps were given to private concerns with the aid of a US government geological survey?
5. Because of a deal with the USA, in how many years may Brazil run out of manganese for its own steel industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Today, what resource is mined in Minas Gerais, and by whom?
2. Why was a US government geological survey conducted of the Brazilian Amazon?
3. Why must the USA import so many raw materials from abroad?
4. Why, according to the author, has the USA avoided many of the problems Latin America has faced?
5. What was discovered in the Minas Gerais region?
6. Who is Jose Artigas and what did he accomplish?
7. What is "expropriation"?
8. What is a "pongo"?
9. Describe some of the technological accomplishments of the original inhabitants of Latin American--the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs.
10. What is responsible for the collapse of Brazil's rubber industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Tupac Amaru? What were his ties to ancient Latin America? What causes did he champion? How did he meet his end?
Essay Topic 2
"The internal market, limited by the poverty of the masses, cannot sustain the development of manufacturers beyond certain limits" (p. 169). How is this quote applicable again and again in Latin American history? Find three situations where this quote proves true, and unpack the reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Has Galeano's novel changed your worldview? Why or why not? What was the most surprising thing you read in the novel? Are you morally opposed to anything that you read? Why or why not? Feel free to use properly cited quotations from the text.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)