|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important mine did Bolivia lose in the war?
(a) Las Ramblas, a silver mine.
(b) Buenos Aires, a guano mine.
(c) Quetzalcoatl, a tin mine.
(d) Chuquicamata, a copper mine.
2. In Argentina, what often happens to the politically outspoken?
(a) They are given professorships.
(b) They broadcast on television.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are publicly condemned.
3. Who is General Hugo Banzer?
(a) The dictator of Bolivia in 1977.
(b) The dictator of Mexico in 1977.
(c) The dictator of Peru in 1977.
(d) The dictator of Haiti in 1977.
4. In 1975, how many times greater was Latin America's external debt than in 1968?
(a) Twenty times greater.
(b) Three times greater.
(c) Two times greater.
(d) Ten times greater.
5. What does the Volkswagen affiliate in Sweden do for every car it sells?
(a) It throws a party.
(b) It takes a vacation.
(c) It pays someone in Brazil.
(d) It plants a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many votes does the USA have in the World Bank?
2. Which countries were involved in the War of the Pacific, 1879?
3. How much of Mexico did the USA conquer with Texas?
4. What major company quickened the downfall of Brazilian tape factory Adesite?
5. In Uruguay, how many workers died in the railway gelignite explosion of 1977?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Argentine financial center move to Buenos Aires?
2. What is the official political image of de Rosas?
3. How did Bolivia achieve general amnesty?
4. Where is most of the USA's investment in Latin America concentrated?
5. Why does Galeano believe torture exists in Latin American dictatorships?
6. How does the international market separate buyers?
7. After Latin America was liberated from Spain, what country inherited its reins?
8. Why is it ironic that Haiti is the world's chief producer of baseballs?
9. How does Latin America compensate for the low prices of its exports?
10. What is Latin America's chief export?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)