|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does imperialist capital capture foreign markets?
(a) They capture from the forest.
(b) They capture from within.
(c) They capture from the sea.
(d) They capture from outside.
2. For what industry is the USA most dependent on foreign imports?
(a) The ability to wage war.
(b) The meat and cattle industry.
(c) The paper industry.
(d) The textile industry.
3. What is "tied aid"?
(a) It gives Latin America tax breaks.
(b) It is a method of dyeing colorful patterns on clothing.
(c) It is a British policy whereupon the USA is blockaded.
(d) It bestows a general subsidy on US exports.
4. What major company quickened the downfall of Brazilian tape factory Adesite?
(b) Mead Johnson Tape.
(c) TJ Max.
(d) Scotch Tape.
5. When was the last time the price of milk was controlled in Chile?
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of Latin America was specifically photographed by a US geological survey?
2. How does Latin America make up for what it loses in price?
3. Where does Bolivian tin have to go to be smelted?
4. What item(s), smuggled out of Brazil, costs the country about $100 million a year?
5. What monies has the banking industry diverted from Latin America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Latin American governments do nothing about all their funds flowing into foreign banks?
2. Why, according to Galeano, has he written this book?
3. After Latin America was liberated from Spain, what country inherited its reins?
4. How did the USA get the Haitian ambassador to change his vote at an OAS conference?
5. Without what, according to the author, would the USA not have been able to become independent?
6. Why is it ironic that Haiti is the world's chief producer of baseballs?
7. How have foreign loans kept Latin America indebted to foreigners?
8. Why was the nitrate industry in Latin America abruptly halted?
9. What is Brazil's relationship to Paraguay?
10. Describe the three "heartening" examples Galeano provides about the people's reception of his book.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)