|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Galeano, is Latin America's real export?
(b) Cheap labor.
2. For what is guano used?
(a) As medicine.
(b) As coolant.
(c) As decoration.
(d) As fertilizer.
3. What replaced nitrates as the pillar of Chile's economy?
4. What is the great natural resource of Lake Maracaibo?
5. In Mexico, how many rural children out of every five has normal weight and height?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which US President announced a policy of human rights for Latin America?
2. What book is Maria Carolina de Jesus famous for writing?
3. What kind of development is currently characteristic in Latin America?
4. How much has Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, grown in the last 30 years?
5. What is a "trade gap"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why hasn't the industrialization of Latin American benefitted the countries?
2. After Latin America was liberated from Spain, what country inherited its reins?
3. Describe the three "heartening" examples Galeano provides about the people's reception of his book.
4. How were the railroad tracks of Latin America laid?
5. Has the nationalization of oil been beneficial for Venezuela?
6. What is the official political image of de Rosas?
7. Where is most of the USA's investment in Latin America concentrated?
8. Why, once prosperous, is Paraguay today an extremely poor and backward country?
9. Why does Galeano believe torture exists in Latin American dictatorships?
10. How have foreign loans kept Latin America indebted to foreigners?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)