|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Haber process?
(a) A process by which iron is purified.
(b) A process by which Bolivia vowed to uphold.
(c) A process that economically could fix Brazil.
(d) A process that produces nitrate by fixing nitrogen from the air.
2. What was Order 289 of 1965 in Brazil?
(a) It was an order demanding foreigners pay up to 50% in interest.
(b) It was an order which allowed foreign concerns to get loans at 7 or 8% interest.
(c) It was an order demanding the ban of the text.
(d) It was an order to strike on Panama, in protest of the canal.
3. What invention was a major factor in Britain's industrial revolution?
(a) The space shuttle.
(b) The airplane.
(c) The steam engine.
(d) The wheel.
4. What metaphor does the author use to describe industry in Latin America?
(a) As an airplane to an airport.
(b) As a wheel is to a vehicle.
(c) As mayo is to a sandwich.
(d) As a penny is to a dollar.
5. How much of Mexico did the USA conquer with Texas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What important mine did Bolivia lose in the war?
2. What book is Maria Carolina de Jesus famous for writing?
3. What company owns Brazilian iron?
4. What does IMF stand for?
5. Who does the author think behaves as a world policeman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was General Velasco Alvarado and what did he do?
2. How did Bolivia achieve general amnesty?
3. Describe the three "heartening" examples Galeano provides about the people's reception of his book.
4. After Latin America was liberated from Spain, what country inherited its reins?
5. How does the international market separate buyers?
6. What is Latin America's chief export?
7. Why is it ironic that Haiti is the world's chief producer of baseballs?
8. Why was the nitrate industry in Latin America abruptly halted?
9. How did the USA get the Haitian ambassador to change his vote at an OAS conference?
10. How have foreign loans kept Latin America indebted to foreigners?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)