|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of the 70,000 Guatemalans that die each year, how many are children?
2. What region took over the rubber industry from Brazil in 1913?
3. To what purpose, according to Bernal Diaz del Castillo, did the Spanish come to Mexico?
(a) To learn of the native peoples of the strange new land.
(b) To build houses and start a new civilization.
(c) To serve God and His Majesty and also to get riches.
(d) To bring the natives European literature and guns.
4. What year was Artigas's agrarian reform--"free land, free man," instituted?
5. What was the great Aztec capital city?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is expropriation?
2. How were the rubber workers in Brazil paid?
3. In the 1890s, Chile's dependence on Great Britain was comparable to what other colonized country?
4. Especially in Guatemala, what is the structure of the labor force visibly identified with?
5. Who was Augusto Cesar Sandino?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the miners of Minas Gerais, and where did they come from?
2. How did the USA attempt to derail the Brazilian oil market?
3. Why was a US government geological survey conducted of the Brazilian Amazon?
4. Why can many Latin American countries not sustain the developments of manufacture?
5. Why was Juan Jose Arevalo, who as President of Guatemala instituted new and better educational and labor standards, overthrown?
6. What caused the War of the Pacific, 1879-1893?
7. Why was guano, or nitrate, so valuable to Europeans?
8. Why, according to the author, has the USA avoided many of the problems Latin America has faced?
9. What is "expropriation"?
10. Who was John Thomas North and what did he do?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)