|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Especially in Guatemala, what is the structure of the labor force visibly identified with?
2. Why does the author feel that the USA was not plundered like Latin America?
(a) The USA had the firepower and manpower to fight back.
(b) The USA was settled a long time after Latin America was settled.
(c) The USA struck a deal with its potential conquerors.
(d) The USA initially did not have natural resources attractive to the international market.
3. What did the Treaty of Tordesillas accomplish?
(a) It allowed Portugal to occupy certain Latin American territories.
(b) It declared war on France for illegal occupation.
(c) It allowed Portugal to teach the Indians religion.
(d) It granted protection to the Indians.
4. What was President Jose Manuel Balmaceda's goal for Chile?
(a) He wanted to nationalize Chile's nitrate exports.
(b) He wanted to be elected to British parliament.
(c) He wanted to compete with Brazil's rubber industry.
(d) He wanted to export more gold and silver.
5. How did the USA attempt to curtail Brazil's petroleum trade?
(a) They asked Brazil nicely not to sell to anyone else.
(b) They gave Brazilian oil a grade "C."
(c) They declared war and took all the oil fields.
(d) They provided oil to rival countries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Aztec innovation in Mexico City is still visited by tourists today?
2. What did Andre Gunder Frank discover upon analyzing the history of Latin America's "metropolis-satellite" relationships?
3. What illegal practice drains Brazil of more than $100 million a year?
4. Out of the 70,000 Guatemalans that die each year, how many are children?
5. How much silver was retained in the Spanish economy from 1540-1550?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illegal activity costs Brazil upwards of $100 million a year?
2. Why was guano, or nitrate, so valuable to Europeans?
3. Though coffee and petroleum are invaluable on a world market, why does Latin America still not profit from having these resources in abundance?
4. How did the USA attempt to derail the Brazilian oil market?
5. How has the coffee industry hurt the people of Latin America?
6. What caused the War of the Pacific, 1879-1893?
7. What caused the collapse of the Chilean nitrate trade?
8. Who was Emiliano Zapata and what did he accomplish?
9. Why can many Latin American countries not sustain the developments of manufacture?
10. Who is Jose Artigas and what did he accomplish?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)