|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the USA attempt to curtail Brazil's petroleum trade?
(a) They provided oil to rival countries.
(b) They gave Brazilian oil a grade "C."
(c) They declared war and took all the oil fields.
(d) They asked Brazil nicely not to sell to anyone else.
2. What did Mariano Melgarejo force a British ambassador to drink as punishment for sneering at the local chichas?
(a) A tub of stale beer.
(b) A barrel of chocolate.
(c) Water from the Amazon.
(d) A bottle of bad wine.
3. What rationalization was used by the conquerors who enslaved the native populations?
(a) They would share the wealth with the Indians eventually.
(b) They declared the Indians owed them labor because of their defeat in the war.
(c) They denied that Indians had souls, and therefore were no better than beasts of burden.
(d) They claimed the Indians enjoyed the work.
4. How much did foreign capitalists pay per acre for a huge tract of land in the Amazon?
5. What caused the Chilean nitrate business to collapse?
(a) The exhaustion of guano.
(b) The flood of 1923.
(c) The war with Britain.
(d) The perfection of the Haber process.
Short Answer Questions
1. What region took over the rubber industry from Brazil in 1913?
2. What labor force did the author eyewitness?
3. Who is the "king of tin"?
4. What great mathematical principle did the Mayans discover before any other people in history?
5. In the 1890s, Chile's dependence on Great Britain was comparable to what other colonized country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jose Artigas and what did he accomplish?
2. What drove Spain to finance Columbus' expedition?
3. What is "expropriation"?
4. What is a "pongo"?
5. How has the coffee industry hurt the people of Latin America?
6. What were some of the factors in the conquistadors' victory over the native peoples of America?
7. Explain the "horseman and horse" relationship between Latin America and Europe.
8. Why, according to the author, has the USA avoided many of the problems Latin America has faced?
9. What illegal activity costs Brazil upwards of $100 million a year?
10. What is responsible for the collapse of Brazil's rubber industry?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)