|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Chaco War of 1932-1935?
(a) A petroleum-sparked war between Bolivia and Paraguay.
(b) A silver-sparked war between Argentina and Ecuador.
(c) An Indian-rights war between Chile and Peru.
(d) A manganese war between Brazil and Argentina.
2. After gold, what was the next most important product Latin America could produce?
3. In the 1890s, Chile's dependence on Great Britain was comparable to what other colonized country?
4. What famous saying was associated with Guanajuato?
(a) "A stitch in time saves nine."
(b) "Gold and silver to be had, for a price."
(c) "Father a merchant, son a gentleman, grandson a beggar."
(d) "A city of wisdom."
5. What did John Thomas North and his partner Robert Harvey purchase for the war effort?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the environmental problems with many of Latin America's cash crops?
2. What Aztec innovation in Mexico City is still visited by tourists today?
3. What Latin American countries were involved in the War of the Pacific?
4. Concerning petroleum, where is the most money to be made?
5. What is the world's chief fuel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the technological accomplishments of the original inhabitants of Latin American--the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs.
2. What caused the War of the Pacific, 1879-1893?
3. What is the significance of the rainbow in Haiti?
4. What were some of the major accomplishments, etc, that Latin American sugar and slave trade contributed to directly?
5. Explain the "horseman and horse" relationship between Latin America and Europe.
6. What caused the collapse of the Chilean nitrate trade?
7. Why must the USA import so many raw materials from abroad?
8. What drove Spain to finance Columbus' expedition?
9. Why, according to the author, has the USA avoided many of the problems Latin America has faced?
10. How did the USA attempt to discourage the world market from purchasing oil from Brazil?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)