|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Columbus think he had landed, even during his third voyage?
(a) He thought he was off the coast of Africa.
(b) He thought he was off the coast of Venezuela.
(c) He thought he was off the coast of Asia.
(d) He thought he was off the coast of Hawaii.
2. Especially in Guatemala, what is the structure of the labor force visibly identified with?
3. What is silicosis?
(a) A disease of the lungs that kills many Latin American tin miners.
(b) A condition where the sufferer cannot stop laughing.
(c) A region of Bolivia that is completely uninhabited.
(d) A policy of government that excludes Bolivia from the international market.
4. What do coffee and petroleum have in common?
(a) They each foster higher profits for the consuming country than for the producing country.
(b) They are each rapidly falling in price and usefulness.
(c) They are each dark in color and used all over the world.
(d) They each need very particular growing conditions.
5. Who was the English monarch at the time of this incident?
(a) Queen Victoria, after which claimed Bolivia no longer existed.
(b) King Henry VIII, after which congratulated Melgarejo on being creative.
(c) Queen Elizabeth II, who ignored the incident.
(d) King George I, who declared war on Bolivia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the native population of Latin American died of diseases contracted from the invaders?
2. How did Asia acquire rubber tree seeds?
3. What Latin American countries were involved in the War of the Pacific?
4. For whom did Montezuma mistake the invading Europeans?
5. How much did foreign capitalists pay per acre for a huge tract of land in the Amazon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to the author, has the USA avoided many of the problems Latin America has faced?
2. What is "expropriation"?
3. What drove Spain to finance Columbus' expedition?
4. How did the USA attempt to discourage the world market from purchasing oil from Brazil?
5. What is the significance of the rainbow in Haiti?
6. What illegal activity costs Brazil upwards of $100 million a year?
7. Who is Jose Artigas and what did he accomplish?
8. Who was John Thomas North and what did he do?
9. Who was Emiliano Zapata and what did he accomplish?
10. Compare modern-day Potosi to the silver-rush Potosi.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)