|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the person to coin the phrase "knowledge is power"?
(a) President Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Sir Francis Bacon.
(c) Jose Artigas.
(d) Yogi Bera.
2. What is a tojo?
(a) A Paraguayan peasant.
(b) A kind of shipping arrangement between importers and exporters.
(c) A loose rock overhead in a mine.
(d) A particular type of cattle.
3. In Brazil, what was Law 56,570, passed on July 6, 1965?
(a) This law freed Brazil from all foreign debt.
(b) This law made divorce unlawful.
(c) This law reserved the petrochemical industry for the state.
(d) This law made gauchos legal servants of the state.
4. In 1962, how did the US secure the Haitian delegate's vote at the OAS conference?
(a) By boycotting Haitian products.
(b) By asking nicely.
(c) By taking him out to dinner.
(d) By promising Haiti an airport.
5. For what sporting good is Haiti the chief producer?
(a) Boxing gloves.
(c) Pull-up bars.
6. For what is guano used?
(a) As medicine.
(b) As coolant.
(c) As fertilizer.
(d) As decoration.
7. In Uruguay, how many workers died in the railway gelignite explosion of 1977?
8. Since the novel was published, what Latin American country has nationalized its oil production?
9. What was the significance of the land the USA purchased from Brazil?
(a) It is in the shape of Texas.
(b) It makes Brazil part of the USA.
(c) It cuts the Amazon off from the rest of the country.
(d) It is the location of a new US state.
10. How did John Thomas North "support" the War of the Pacific?
(a) He provided the generals with intelligence.
(b) He supplied the army with home-cooked meals.
(c) He purchased war bonds.
(d) He gave lectures abroad.
11. What was Order 289 of 1965 in Brazil?
(a) It was an order demanding foreigners pay up to 50% in interest.
(b) It was an order to strike on Panama, in protest of the canal.
(c) It was an order which allowed foreign concerns to get loans at 7 or 8% interest.
(d) It was an order demanding the ban of the text.
12. What does Galeano hope will ultimately be the result of all Latin America's destruction?
(c) Health care reform.
13. Who was the nitrate King?
(a) Jose Manuel Balmaceda.
(b) John Thomas North.
(c) Bruce Palmer.
(d) Fidel Castro.
14. What is a "trade gap"?
(a) The deficit in the US economy.
(b) The gap between the pier and the boat when transporting goods.
(c) The trading opportunities that are being missed between the east and west.
(d) The difference between import needs and the income from exports.
15. What is the great natural resource of Lake Maracaibo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item(s), smuggled out of Brazil, costs the country about $100 million a year?
2. What does Galeano say is the first condition for changing reality?
3. What is silicosis?
4. How many votes, compared to the USA, do Latin American countries have in IMF?
5. In the January 1978 referendum, where did one place a cross if one voted "no" for Pinochet?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)