|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Latin America make up for what it loses in price?
(b) Land wars.
2. In Brazil, what was Law 56,571, pass on July 6, 1965?
(a) This law annulled law 56,570.
(b) This law put a tax on land.
(c) This law gave all citizens social security.
(d) This law reserved the petrochemical industry for the state.
3. Who is Simon Ituri Patino?
(a) The Argentine King of Cattle.
(b) The Chilean King of Copper.
(c) The Bolivian King of Tin.
(d) The Brazilian King of Coffee.
4. In 1975, how many times greater was Latin America's external debt than in 1968?
(a) Two times greater.
(b) Three times greater.
(c) Ten times greater.
(d) Twenty times greater.
5. What replaced nitrates as the pillar of Chile's economy?
6. What book is Maria Carolina de Jesus famous for writing?
(a) La Libra de Sange, or The Book of Blood.
(b) Quarto de Hambre, or Child of Hunger.
(c) She wrote no books.
(d) Quarto de Despejo, or Child of the Dark.
7. How many votes does Latin America have in the World Bank?
8. What is guano?
(a) A specific type of poncho.
(b) Brazilian currency.
(c) Bird excrement.
(d) A traditional delicacy.
9. What metaphor does the author use to describe industry in Latin America?
(a) As mayo is to a sandwich.
(b) As an airplane to an airport.
(c) As a penny is to a dollar.
(d) As a wheel is to a vehicle.
10. What percentage of Latin American loans are provided by the USA?
11. When was the last time the price of milk was controlled in Chile?
12. In Argentina, what often happens to the politically outspoken?
(a) They broadcast on television.
(b) They are publicly condemned.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are given professorships.
13. From where does Galeano think that modern-day slavers operate?
(a) Ministries of labor.
(b) Slaves ships.
(c) Ivory towers.
14. Who is General Hugo Banzer?
(a) The dictator of Bolivia in 1977.
(b) The dictator of Mexico in 1977.
(c) The dictator of Haiti in 1977.
(d) The dictator of Peru in 1977.
15. In the January 1978 referendum, where did one place a cross if one voted "no" for Pinochet?
(a) Above a red hand.
(b) In the regular "no" voting box.
(c) On a picture of his face.
(d) Under a black rectangle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major company quickened the downfall of Brazilian tape factory Adesite?
2. Which countries were involved in the War of the Pacific, 1879?
3. Who does the author think behaves as a world policeman?
4. According to the "Capitalist Manifesto", what natural code governs human life?
5. What invention was a major factor in Britain's industrial revolution?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)