|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Uruguay, how many workers died in the railway gelignite explosion of 1977?
2. Which US President announced a policy of human rights for Latin America?
(a) President George Washington.
(b) President Henry Ford.
(c) President Jimmy Carter.
(d) President William Taft.
3. From where does imperialist capital capture foreign markets?
(a) They capture from the forest.
(b) They capture from within.
(c) They capture from outside.
(d) They capture from the sea.
4. For what sporting good is Haiti the chief producer?
(a) Boxing gloves.
(b) Pull-up bars.
5. What important mine did Bolivia lose in the war?
(a) Las Ramblas, a silver mine.
(b) Chuquicamata, a copper mine.
(c) Quetzalcoatl, a tin mine.
(d) Buenos Aires, a guano mine.
6. What is the Haber process?
(a) A process by which Bolivia vowed to uphold.
(b) A process that economically could fix Brazil.
(c) A process by which iron is purified.
(d) A process that produces nitrate by fixing nitrogen from the air.
7. How, in the 1800s, did Britain pay for most of its Latin American goods?
(a) It paid with gold.
(b) It paid with carbonate.
(c) It paid with textiles.
(d) It paid with silver.
8. What is the chief fuel of the modern world?
(a) Hydroelectric dams.
(c) Nuclear power.
(d) Solar energy.
9. Who is General Hugo Banzer?
(a) The dictator of Peru in 1977.
(b) The dictator of Bolivia in 1977.
(c) The dictator of Haiti in 1977.
(d) The dictator of Mexico in 1977.
10. Instead of hospitals and schools, what did the oil boom of Ecuador bring to the country?
(a) Air conditioning.
(c) Highly bred dogs.
(d) Color televisions.
11. How many votes does Latin America have in the World Bank?
12. Whom does Galeano claim has written the official histories?
(a) Harvard graduates.
(b) The conquerors.
(c) The peasants.
(d) No one.
13. What is dynamic industry?
(a) The production of intermediate and capital goods.
(b) The manufacture of colored dyes.
(c) The production of foreign goods.
(d) The process of making dynamite.
14. Who is Simon Ituri Patino?
(a) The Argentine King of Cattle.
(b) The Brazilian King of Coffee.
(c) The Chilean King of Copper.
(d) The Bolivian King of Tin.
15. Who was the nitrate King?
(a) Jose Manuel Balmaceda.
(b) Bruce Palmer.
(c) John Thomas North.
(d) Fidel Castro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the great natural resource of Lake Maracaibo?
2. In 1962, how did the US secure the Haitian delegate's vote at the OAS conference?
3. What does the author name as a chief concern within Latin American countries?
4. What does the Volkswagen affiliate in Sweden do for every car it sells?
5. What was the significance of the land the USA purchased from Brazil?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)