|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does the author use to describe industry in Latin America?
(a) As an airplane to an airport.
(b) As a wheel is to a vehicle.
(c) As a penny is to a dollar.
(d) As mayo is to a sandwich.
2. For what sporting good is Haiti the chief producer?
(b) Pull-up bars.
(d) Boxing gloves.
3. According to the "Capitalist Manifesto", what natural code governs human life?
(a) The Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) The law of gravity.
(c) The law of the jungle.
(d) The law of sides.
4. In Mexico, how many rural children out of every five has normal weight and height?
5. Instead of hospitals and schools, what did the oil boom of Ecuador bring to the country?
(a) Color televisions.
(c) Highly bred dogs.
(d) Air conditioning.
6. What is the Haber process?
(a) A process that produces nitrate by fixing nitrogen from the air.
(b) A process by which iron is purified.
(c) A process by which Bolivia vowed to uphold.
(d) A process that economically could fix Brazil.
7. What invention was a major factor in Britain's industrial revolution?
(a) The steam engine.
(b) The space shuttle.
(c) The airplane.
(d) The wheel.
8. Which countries were involved in the War of the Pacific, 1879?
(a) Venezuela, Ecuador, and Paraguay.
(b) Haiti, Guatemala, and Nicaragua,
(c) Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay.
(d) Bolivia, Peru, and Chile.
9. What Brazilian mineral deposit is essential to the steel industry?
10. What important mine did Bolivia lose in the war?
(a) Chuquicamata, a copper mine.
(b) Buenos Aires, a guano mine.
(c) Las Ramblas, a silver mine.
(d) Quetzalcoatl, a tin mine.
11. In Brazil, what was Law 56,571, pass on July 6, 1965?
(a) This law reserved the petrochemical industry for the state.
(b) This law put a tax on land.
(c) This law gave all citizens social security.
(d) This law annulled law 56,570.
12. How long, on average, do Haitians live?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 22 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 73 years.
13. What is the great natural resource of Lake Maracaibo?
14. Who was the nitrate King?
(a) John Thomas North.
(b) Jose Manuel Balmaceda.
(c) Fidel Castro.
(d) Bruce Palmer.
15. What is a tojo?
(a) A Paraguayan peasant.
(b) A loose rock overhead in a mine.
(c) A kind of shipping arrangement between importers and exporters.
(d) A particular type of cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Volkswagen affiliate in Sweden do for every car it sells?
2. Who is General Hugo Banzer?
3. In what year did General Velasco Alvarado, social and economic reformist, die?
4. Since the novel was published, what Latin American country has nationalized its oil production?
5. In 1975, how many times greater was Latin America's external debt than in 1968?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)