|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Haiti, what does the rainbow symbolize?
(a) The rainbow symbolizes slaves who escaped to the west side of the island and reconstructed their African way of life.
(b) The rainbow symbolizes the European ships that came to take the Africans to Haiti so long ago.
(c) The rainbow symbolizes the victory in the Haitian Civil War.
(d) The rainbow symbolizes the largest sugar harvest on record anywhere in the world.
2. What are the origins of the Indian women's style of dress?
(a) The styles were imposed in modern times by a fascist government.
(b) The styles were passed down through generations of native women.
(c) The styles were copied from peasant woman in Spain and imposed by Charles III.
(d) The styles were popularized by the Spanish nobility and worn by the natives as cast-offs.
3. Because of a deal with the USA, in how many years may Brazil run out of manganese for its own steel industry?
4. Out of the 70,000 Guatemalans that die each year, how many are children?
5. To what purpose, according to Bernal Diaz del Castillo, did the Spanish come to Mexico?
(a) To serve God and His Majesty and also to get riches.
(b) To learn of the native peoples of the strange new land.
(c) To bring the natives European literature and guns.
(d) To build houses and start a new civilization.
6. How did the USA attempt to curtail Brazil's petroleum trade?
(a) They provided oil to rival countries.
(b) They asked Brazil nicely not to sell to anyone else.
(c) They declared war and took all the oil fields.
(d) They gave Brazilian oil a grade "C."
7. How much has Caracas grown in thirty years?
8. What year did Columbus "discover" America?
9. Especially in Guatemala, what is the structure of the labor force visibly identified with?
10. What great mathematical principle did the Mayans discover before any other people in history?
(a) General relativity.
(b) The concept of zero.
(c) The circumference of the earth.
11. In which country did Emilian Zapata introduce radical agrarian reform?
(a) Southen Mexico.
(b) Northern Brazil.
(c) Central Honduras.
(d) Western Peru.
12. What was the great Aztec capital city?
13. How much silver was retained in the Spanish economy from 1540-1550?
(a) About half: the silver stimulated Spain's economy while also paying off the country's debt.
(b) Exactly one-fourth: the numbers are recorded with exact precision.
(c) Almost none: the silver went to pay Spain's debts to other countries.
(d) Almost all: the silver stayed in Spain an made the country rich.
14. What mineral, almost absent in the USA, is necessary to make aluminum?
15. What was the Chaco War of 1932-1935?
(a) A petroleum-sparked war between Bolivia and Paraguay.
(b) An Indian-rights war between Chile and Peru.
(c) A silver-sparked war between Argentina and Ecuador.
(d) A manganese war between Brazil and Argentina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was William Walker?
2. What do miners chew to counteract some effects of working in the tin mines?
3. What states, originally belonging to Mexico, did the USA claim?
4. What law did Juan Domingo Peron impose in Argentina in compliance with minimum wage?
5. What Spanish conquistador defeated the great Tenochtitlan?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)