|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Concerning petroleum, where is the most money to be made?
(a) The most money is made for the consuming country.
(b) The most money is made for the middleman.
(c) The most money is made for the laborer.
(d) The most money is made for the producing country.
2. What is the most universal health problem in Latin America?
(a) Infectious disease.
(d) Poor eyesight.
3. What analogy does Paul Baran use to explain the division of labor with the arrival of capitalism?
(a) The priest and his congregation.
(b) The horseman and the horse.
(c) The actor and the audience.
(d) The mother and the son.
4. How much silver was retained in the Spanish economy from 1540-1550?
(a) About half: the silver stimulated Spain's economy while also paying off the country's debt.
(b) Almost none: the silver went to pay Spain's debts to other countries.
(c) Almost all: the silver stayed in Spain an made the country rich.
(d) Exactly one-fourth: the numbers are recorded with exact precision.
5. Where did Columbus think he had landed, even during his third voyage?
(a) He thought he was off the coast of Asia.
(b) He thought he was off the coast of Venezuela.
(c) He thought he was off the coast of Hawaii.
(d) He thought he was off the coast of Africa.
6. What Aztec innovation in Mexico City is still visited by tourists today?
(a) The golden mask.
(b) The pyramids of Cairo.
(c) The great sundial.
(d) The floating gardens.
7. Why was Juan Jose Arevalo's government overthrown by Rodolfo Armas, backed by the USA?
(a) Rodolfo Armas was the rightful President.
(b) Arevalo was rumored to be Communist.
(c) Rodolfo Armas had plans for agrarian reform.
(d) Arevalo was planning an invasion of the USA.
8. What great mathematical principle did the Mayans discover before any other people in history?
(a) The circumference of the earth.
(b) The concept of zero.
(c) General relativity.
9. What great innovations did the sugar slave trade directly fund?
(a) The Spanish trade route.
(b) The Aztec Temples.
(c) Britain's Great Western Railway.
(d) The invention of the automobile.
10. How much of the native population of Latin American died of diseases contracted from the invaders?
(a) Over half of the population died.
(b) One-sixteenth of the population died.
(c) Only ten people died.
(d) One-third of the population died.
11. What law did Juan Domingo Peron impose in Argentina in compliance with minimum wage?
(a) The Statute of the Peon.
(b) The Agricultural Division Act.
(c) The Agrarian Revolution.
(d) The Latafundios Abolition Act.
12. What was President Jose Manuel Balmaceda's goal for Chile?
(a) He wanted to be elected to British parliament.
(b) He wanted to nationalize Chile's nitrate exports.
(c) He wanted to compete with Brazil's rubber industry.
(d) He wanted to export more gold and silver.
13. What illegal practice drains Brazil of more than $100 million a year?
14. About how much of the price yielded by coffee going from Colombia to the US goes into the wages of the coffee workers?
15. What states, originally belonging to Mexico, did the USA claim?
(a) Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky.
(b) Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida.
(c) Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut.
(d) Texas, California, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resources caused the boom of the Minas Gerais region?
2. What resource is exploited in modern-day Potosi?
3. What are the environmental problems with many of Latin America's cash crops?
4. Who was Augusto Cesar Sandino?
5. What did Haitians do to avoid forced labor in the mines?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)