|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What region took over the rubber industry from Brazil in 1913?
2. What area's maps were given to private concerns with the aid of a US government geological survey?
(b) The Andes.
3. What practice have Protestant church missionaries encouraged to Amazonian peoples?
(a) Boiling water.
(b) Eye exams.
(c) Dental braces.
(d) Birth control.
4. Who was the English monarch at the time of this incident?
(a) Queen Victoria, after which claimed Bolivia no longer existed.
(b) King George I, who declared war on Bolivia.
(c) Queen Elizabeth II, who ignored the incident.
(d) King Henry VIII, after which congratulated Melgarejo on being creative.
5. What do miners chew to counteract some effects of working in the tin mines?
(a) Wrigley's gum.
(b) Coca leaves.
(c) Leather straps.
6. What do coffee and petroleum have in common?
(a) They are each rapidly falling in price and usefulness.
(b) They each need very particular growing conditions.
(c) They each foster higher profits for the consuming country than for the producing country.
(d) They are each dark in color and used all over the world.
7. What nickname does the author give the USA?
(a) The world policeman.
(b) The great consumer.
(c) The end of iron.
(d) The vast unknowable.
8. Where did Columbus think he had landed, even during his third voyage?
(a) He thought he was off the coast of Asia.
(b) He thought he was off the coast of Africa.
(c) He thought he was off the coast of Hawaii.
(d) He thought he was off the coast of Venezuela.
9. If slaves arrived in the colony and were too ill to work, what happened to them?
(a) They were put in a hospital to recover.
(b) They were taken to the plantation anyway.
(c) They were left on the ship's deck to die.
(d) They were sent back to Africa to recover.
10. What great innovations did the sugar slave trade directly fund?
(a) The Spanish trade route.
(b) Britain's Great Western Railway.
(c) The Aztec Temples.
(d) The invention of the automobile.
11. Concerning petroleum, where is the most money to be made?
(a) The most money is made for the laborer.
(b) The most money is made for the consuming country.
(c) The most money is made for the producing country.
(d) The most money is made for the middleman.
12. What was Colombia paid for the erection of the Panama Canal?
(a) 10 million dollars.
(b) 50 million dollars.
(c) 5 million dollars.
(d) 25 million dollars.
13. What Hapsburg King of Spain was obsessed with religious wars, draining Spain's coffers and exploited Latin America?
(a) Henry VIII.
(b) Charles V.
(c) Louis XI.
(d) Ferdinand of Aragon.
14. What did John Thomas North and his partner Robert Harvey purchase for the war effort?
15. Out of the 70,000 Guatemalans that die each year, how many are children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What great mathematical principle did the Mayans discover before any other people in history?
2. What year did Brazil abolish slavery?
3. What labor force did the author eyewitness?
4. What Spanish conquistador defeated the great Tenochtitlan?
5. Who was William Walker?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)