|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Tales of Premature Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mineral, almost absent in the USA, is necessary to make aluminum?
2. What year did Brazil abolish slavery?
3. What practice have Protestant church missionaries encouraged to Amazonian peoples?
(a) Birth control.
(b) Dental braces.
(c) Eye exams.
(d) Boiling water.
4. Why must the USA purchase so many of its minerals abroad?
(a) The USA is controlled by Britain.
(b) The USA cannot afford to mine its own mineral deposits.
(c) The USA enjoys foreign trade.
(d) The USA lacks sufficient natural mineral deposits.
5. What are the environmental problems with many of Latin America's cash crops?
(a) Coffee, sugarcane, and cotton all require mass deforestation.
(b) Coffee, sugarcane, and cotton are primarily consumed by the farmers.
(c) Many of the cash crops are failing and leaving large swaths of empty land.
(d) Many of the cash crops are eaten by animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much has Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, grown in the last 30 years?
2. Who was Augusto Cesar Sandino?
3. What region took over the rubber industry from Brazil in 1913?
4. What do miners chew to counteract some effects of working in the tin mines?
5. After the war between Bolivia and Paraguay, who eventually claimed the land Paraguay won in the conflict?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)