Lust for Gold, Lust for Silver
1. What year did Columbus "discover" America?
2. What Spanish city was reconquered in 1492 under the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella?
3. To what purpose, according to Bernal Diaz del Castillo, did the Spanish come to Mexico?
(a) To learn of the native peoples of the strange new land.
(b) To build houses and start a new civilization.
(c) To serve God and His Majesty and also to get riches.
(d) To bring the natives European literature and guns.
4. Where did Columbus think he had landed, even during his third voyage?
(a) He thought he was off the coast of Asia.
(b) He thought he was off the coast of Venezuela.
(c) He thought he was off the coast of Hawaii.
(d) He thought he was off the coast of Africa.
5. Who usually financed the conquistadors' expeditions?
(a) Businessmen or the conquistadors themselves.
(b) The state or government.
(c) The native peoples of the New World.
(d) England's monarch.
This section contains 4,724 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)