|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel tell the girls to do?
2. Where was Morgan supposed to meet a contact on his and Solomon's mission?
3. What does Zach say about why the Circle wants Cammie?
4. What does Cammie notice as they are getting the journal?
5. What do the Gallagher girls find when they climb a tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Zach and Cammie go when they leave the target room and what happens right after Zach and Cammie retrieve the journal?
2. Where does Townsend take Cammie and her friends, why does he say they are going there and what does Cammie tell Rebecca?
3. Where do Zach and Cammie go after they retrieve the journal and what do they see there?
4. What does Cammie do when she realizes the meaning of Joe's message to her?
5. What is the late-night plan executed by Cammie and her three fellow operatives?
6. How does Cammie get to a secret meeting as the result of the message to her?
7. What does Solomon say to Cammie at the park and what does she say to him?
8. What happens when the girls return upstairs?
9. What does Cammie find that is directed at her personally when she investigates what Joe said to her?
10. What does Cammie do when she leaves the shed and what does she realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Only the Good Spy Young. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Carter chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Carter chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Carter's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Carter use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Only the Good Spy Young.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Only the Good Spy Young. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Only the Good Spy Young. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Only the Good Spy Young and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Only the Good Spy Young is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)