|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Baxter go when he veers off the main road?
2. What are the girls determined to do about Robert?
3. To where does the tunnel go in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 5, how long is Cammie alone?
5. What kind of record with the CIA does Townsend have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the surroundings at dinner, who is missing, who is taking her place and what do the students do before they eat?
2. What is the conversation between Cammie and the person she unexpectedly meets?
3. What does Rachel say to Cammie about her absence from the school?
4. How does Cammie end up with Joe Solomon, where does he take her and what is said to him there?
5. Where does the van go in which the Baxters have Cammie and what happens immediately after they get there?
6. What does Townsend do when the class starts, why does Cammie get upset and what does she do about it?
7. What happens with Cammie after she is taken away to be questioned?
8. What happens when Cammie hears what Townsend has to say?
9. What do the girls find out from Townsend?
10. What does Rebecca tell their friends after dinner and what has them worried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Only the Good Spy Young and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Only the Good Spy Young is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Only the Good Spy Young.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Only the Good Spy Young. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Only the Good Spy Young. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)