Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cammie want to contact after talking to Zach?
2. What does Cammie think about Edward?
3. What does Rebecca tell her parents about Joe?
4. What is Rebecca's father's name?
5. What does she tell Cammie about Cammie's difficulties in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Townsend tell the class about the Circle?
2. How does Cammie hear what the adults are saying in the kitchen and how do they find out she is listening?
3. What do the girls find out from Townsend?
4. What do the girls see and do when they arrive at their dorm room?
5. How do Cammie and the others feel when walking to their dorm and why?
6. What does Buckingham tell Cammie and Rebecca about their adventures in London and who sees them right after they talk to him? What does she say to them?
7. What does Townsend do when the class starts, why does Cammie get upset and what does she do about it?
8. What have the girls found out about Townsend and what is their resolve?
9. Where does the van go in which the Baxters have Cammie and what happens immediately after they get there?
10. How does Cammie get away from Zach's mother?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Only the Good Spy Young help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Only the Good Spy Young? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Only the Good Spy Young to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Only the Good Spy Young is one book in a series of novels involving Cammie. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)