|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what place is it said Solomon was recruited by the Circle?
2. What is Cammie asked by a British operative?
3. What does the person in question 43 tell the girls?
4. What do some of the students speculate on the first day of school?
5. What is Zach looking for in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have the girls found out about Townsend and what is their resolve?
2. How does Cammie hear what the adults are saying in the kitchen and how do they find out she is listening?
3. What does Rebecca tell their friends after dinner and what has them worried?
4. What does Solomon say to Baxter's suggestion, what does he tell Cammie, and then what does he do?
5. What does Townsend tell the class about the Circle?
6. What do the girls write up in their "Covert Operations Report?"
7. What does Townsend do when the class starts, why does Cammie get upset and what does she do about it?
8. How do Cammie and the others feel when walking to their dorm and why?
9. What does Buckingham tell Cammie and Rebecca about their adventures in London and who sees them right after they talk to him? What does she say to them?
10. What is different about the surroundings at dinner, who is missing, who is taking her place and what do the students do before they eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cammie considers, and acts on, her actions in pursuit of freedom. Here it's important to note that throughout the novel, she has described herself as feeling trapped, as feeling the same way as she imagines the ravens feel, trapped as they are in the Tower of London. The thematic consideration of identity becomes entwined with considerations of freedom, in that up to this point in her life, Cammie's identity has been defined by the fact that she is trapped. With her actions in Chapters 41 and 46, she is taking action to fundamentally re-define her identity, and claim a sense of self.
1. Discuss the reasons you think Cammie feels trapped in her life. Use examples from Only the Good Spy Young and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cammie's identity is only formed by her feelings of being trapped? Why or why not? Use examples from Only the Good Spy Young and your own life to support your answer.
3. Cammie seems to be wanting freedom from her life. What do you think Cammie believes freedom means and how do you think she might be able to obtain freedom? Use examples from Only the Good Spy Young and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of Only the Good Spy Young, Cammie grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Only the Good Spy Young might be considered a slice of Cammie's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Only the Good Spy Young is a "bildungsroman" of Cammie Morgan. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Cammie as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Cammie?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Cammie's growth throughout Only the Good Spy Young, do you think Only the Good Spy Young could be considered Cammie's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Only the Good Spy Young who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Only the Good Spy Young.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Only the Good Spy Young. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Only the Good Spy Young. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)