|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the shirt Kate wears to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony?
2. What does the Mayor say by way of a holiday greeting?
3. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
4. What is the pattern on the curtains in the living room?
5. What kind of sandwich does Ellen eat after the trees are decorated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is presented about Ellen's paternal grandparents.
2. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
3. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
4. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
5. Kate begins to try to give Ellen advice about her wedding but Ellen stops her. What is Kate's reaction?
6. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
7. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
8. Who is Chris and what happens between Chris and Ellen?
9. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
10. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ellen's relationship with her mother, her father and her siblings. Who among these is she closer to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ellen is scornful of her father's lack of compassion for Kate, but he says that she should remember that he is taking "the night shift." What does he mean? Should George have done more for Kate? Is Ellen underestimating the role he's playing? Support your answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen and her mother are, in many ways, opposites. Compare the characters and Ellen and Kate. What are their most striking differences? Similarities? How and why do their characters change over the course of the story?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)