|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellen spend the night after Kate asks Ellen to help end her suffering?
2. How often does Teresa come after Christmas?
3. Who tells Ellen that the cause of Kate's death is an overdose of morphine?
4. Where is Ellen when Kate dies?
5. What is the smell Ellen associates with her lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
2. Kate begins to try to give Ellen advice about her wedding but Ellen stops her. What is Kate's reaction?
3. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
4. What is Ellen's reaction when Jeff makes fun of her for baking cookies and why does she react this way?
5. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
6. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
7. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
8. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
9. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
10. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Teresa? What is her role in Ellen's life? Who i s Jules? What is her role in Ellen's life? Which of the two characters is more important to Ellen? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the activities Ellen and Kate share during the months Ellen remains at home with Kate. Which of these are most important to Kate? Which are most important to Ellen? Why? What is the effect of these on their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What is Kate's reaction the first time she sees the wheelchair? Why does she react in this way? Why does she later accept the wheelchair? What does Ellen do to "decorate" the chair for the trip to decorate the Christmas tree? What is the reaction of the other women? Why do they react in that way? Later a little girl named Hattie compliments Kate on the wheelchair but her father reprimands her. Why?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)