|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen find taped to the door of her father's office?
2. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
3. Why does Kate say Ellen should not have a flower girl at her wedding?
4. What is the topic George asks Ellen about that night she comes down to get milk and finds her parents in the dining room?
5. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
2. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
3. What is Ellen's reaction when Jeff makes fun of her for baking cookies and why does she react this way?
4. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
5. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
6. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
7. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
8. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
9. Where does Jeff get the money for Ellen's legal defense?
10. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ellen's relationship with her mother, her father and her siblings. Who among these is she closer to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The question of assisted suicide is one that has raised moral and legal questions in recent years. Do you believe that assisted suicide should be legal and is it morally acceptable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Ellen and George have lunch together as her mother is becoming increasingly more dependent on pain medication, George says that it's time for them to begin planning Kate's funeral. Ellen says that her father asks too much of her and always has. What does Ellen mean? What is George's reaction? What does this say about their relationship?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)