|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate eat on the last afternoon of her life?
2. Where does Ellen spend the night after Kate asks Ellen to help end her suffering?
3. What month does Ellen say is suitable for dying?
4. When does Halley say her baby is due?
5. What kind of sandwich does Ellen eat after the trees are decorated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
2. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
3. What information is presented about Ellen's paternal grandparents.
4. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
5. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
6. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
7. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
8. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
9. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
10. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jonathan? What is his relationship with Ellen? What do Jules and Kate think of him? Describe his actions over the course of Kate's illness. What is Ellen's reaction when he tells her he has an internship and wants her to live with him? What motivates this reaction? Is Ellen correct in this reaction?
Essay Topic 3
Who is it that comes to Ellen's rescue after Ellen's arrest? What is her role in Ellen's life? Why does she take on this new role after Ellen's arrest? What are the repercussions and are they justified?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)