|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the sampler on the wall of the Gulden dining room?
2. What kind of creature does Ellen find in the trash one night?
3. What month does Ellen say is suitable for dying?
4. Where does Ellen spend the night after Kate asks Ellen to help end her suffering?
5. What does Teresa say about the condition of the woman with breast cancer about the same time that the woman with pancreatic cancer dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is presented about Ellen's paternal grandparents.
2. Who is Chris and what happens between Chris and Ellen?
3. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
4. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
5. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
6. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
7. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
8. Kate begins to try to give Ellen advice about her wedding but Ellen stops her. What is Kate's reaction?
9. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
10. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the activities Ellen and Kate share during the months Ellen remains at home with Kate. Which of these are most important to Kate? Which are most important to Ellen? Why? What is the effect of these on their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Ellen's relief that her mother's suffering is over is seen by some as an admission of guilt, especially when she's able to sleep so soundly her first night in jail. Describe Ellen's reaction to her mother's death, to her arrest and to her trial. Which of the reactions is most believable? Which is least? Why doesn't Ellen tell that she believes her father gave her mother the morphine? Why doesn't her father come forward?
Essay Topic 3
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)