|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Teresa come after Christmas?
2. What is on the cover of the book of devotionals that the man in the grocery store gives Ellen after her arrest?
3. What is the name of the Camp Teresa visited as a child?
4. What color is the suit Ellen buys to wear to the funeral?
5. What color is the ribbon Ellen and Kate thread through the wheelchair wheels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
2. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
3. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
4. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
5. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
6. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
7. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
8. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
9. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
10. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jonathan? What is his relationship with Ellen? What do Jules and Kate think of him? Describe his actions over the course of Kate's illness. What is Ellen's reaction when he tells her he has an internship and wants her to live with him? What motivates this reaction? Is Ellen correct in this reaction?
Essay Topic 2
When Dr. Cohn suggests that a nurse be hired to help Kate with some of her difficult tasks, Ellen adamantly refuses. Why does she refuse when it's so obvious she needs help? Ellen herself had previously suggested to her father that a nurse be hired. Why is Ellen so against it when it's Dr. Cohn's idea? Is the nurse necessary? What is her impact on the family?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Teresa? What is her role in Ellen's life? Who i s Jules? What is her role in Ellen's life? Which of the two characters is more important to Ellen? Why?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)