|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to decorate their tree?
2. What is the game Grandmother Gulden teaches Ellen when she's a child?
3. What does Ellen give her mother for Christmas?
4. What kind of coat does Kate wear when she and George go out for dinner and music?
5. What are the rumors Mark says are going around about Mrs. Forburg?
Essay Topic 1
What is Kate's reaction the first time she sees the wheelchair? Why does she react in this way? Why does she later accept the wheelchair? What does Ellen do to "decorate" the chair for the trip to decorate the Christmas tree? What is the reaction of the other women? Why do they react in that way? Later a little girl named Hattie compliments Kate on the wheelchair but her father reprimands her. Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ellen and her father clash over his insistence that she remain at home with her mother. Describe the arguments of each. Are their arguments valid? Why or why not? What were the possible alternatives? George says Ellen being at home is the only acceptable option. Was he correct? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen and her mother are, in many ways, opposites. Compare the characters and Ellen and Kate. What are their most striking differences? Similarities? How and why do their characters change over the course of the story?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)