|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonathan send to Ellen for Christmas?
2. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
3. What does Ellen wear to her grand jury appearance?
4. Why does Jeff enter the back door of Mrs. Forburg's house?
5. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
2. Where does Jeff get the money for Ellen's legal defense?
3. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
4. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
5. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
6. What information is presented about Ellen's paternal grandparents.
7. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
8. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
9. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
10. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ellen's relationship with her mother, her father and her siblings. Who among these is she closer to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)