|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen when Kate dies?
2. What does Ellen find taped to the door of her father's office?
3. Why does Kate say she won't read anymore?
4. Who does Ellen say comes to visit?
5. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
2. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
3. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
4. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
5. Where does Jeff get the money for Ellen's legal defense?
6. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
7. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
8. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
9. Kate begins to try to give Ellen advice about her wedding but Ellen stops her. What is Kate's reaction?
10. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Kate's reaction the first time she sees the wheelchair? Why does she react in this way? Why does she later accept the wheelchair? What does Ellen do to "decorate" the chair for the trip to decorate the Christmas tree? What is the reaction of the other women? Why do they react in that way? Later a little girl named Hattie compliments Kate on the wheelchair but her father reprimands her. Why?
Essay Topic 2
The months spent caring for Kate changes Ellen's life dramatically. Describe the impact of those months on Ellen. Are any of the effects positive? Are any negative?
Essay Topic 3
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)