|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa say about the condition of the woman with breast cancer about the same time that the woman with pancreatic cancer dies?
2. What kind of coat does Kate wear when she and George go out for dinner and music?
3. What month does Ellen say is suitable for dying?
4. How often does Teresa say she goes back to the city?
5. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
2. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
3. Where does Jeff get the money for Ellen's legal defense?
4. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
5. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
6. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
7. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
8. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
9. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
10. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen tries to question Dr. Cohn alone one day but the doctor refuses to talk about Kate's cancer without Kate present. Is the doctor correct? Ellen says that she wants to know more about the progression of the disease but can't ask without her mother present. Should she have asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ellen's relationship with her mother, her father and her siblings. Who among these is she closer to? Why?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)