|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rumors Mark says are going around about Mrs. Forburg?
2. What color are the curtains in Mrs. Forburg's kitchen?
3. What color is the suit Ellen buys to wear to the funeral?
4. What is George feeding Kate when Ellen stops by the den that night?
5. What kind of coat does Kate wear when she and George go out for dinner and music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
2. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
3. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
4. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
5. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
6. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
7. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
8. Kate begins to try to give Ellen advice about her wedding but Ellen stops her. What is Kate's reaction?
9. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
10. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dr. Cohn suggests that a nurse be hired to help Kate with some of her difficult tasks, Ellen adamantly refuses. Why does she refuse when it's so obvious she needs help? Ellen herself had previously suggested to her father that a nurse be hired. Why is Ellen so against it when it's Dr. Cohn's idea? Is the nurse necessary? What is her impact on the family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ellen's relationship with her mother, her father and her siblings. Who among these is she closer to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen and her mother are, in many ways, opposites. Compare the characters and Ellen and Kate. What are their most striking differences? Similarities? How and why do their characters change over the course of the story?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)