|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen say she didn't call her father after her mother's death?
2. How often does Teresa come after Christmas?
3. What movie does Ellen watch the evening she's home alone?
4. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
5. What is the view Kate has from her hospital bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
2. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
3. Where does Jeff get the money for Ellen's legal defense?
4. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
5. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
6. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
7. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
8. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
9. Who is Chris and what happens between Chris and Ellen?
10. What information is presented about Ellen's paternal grandparents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The months spent caring for Kate changes Ellen's life dramatically. Describe the impact of those months on Ellen. Are any of the effects positive? Are any negative?
Essay Topic 2
When Dr. Cohn suggests that a nurse be hired to help Kate with some of her difficult tasks, Ellen adamantly refuses. Why does she refuse when it's so obvious she needs help? Ellen herself had previously suggested to her father that a nurse be hired. Why is Ellen so against it when it's Dr. Cohn's idea? Is the nurse necessary? What is her impact on the family?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen is scornful of her father's lack of compassion for Kate, but he says that she should remember that he is taking "the night shift." What does he mean? Should George have done more for Kate? Is Ellen underestimating the role he's playing? Support your answers with examples from the story.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)