|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Ellen that the cause of Kate's death is an overdose of morphine?
2. What happened to Chris's hand?
3. Where is the lunch held after Kate's funeral?
4. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
5. What does Kate need when she calls for Ellen on pages 162?
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
Essay Topic 2
When Ellen and George have lunch together as her mother is becoming increasingly more dependent on pain medication, George says that it's time for them to begin planning Kate's funeral. Ellen says that her father asks too much of her and always has. What does Ellen mean? What is George's reaction? What does this say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)