|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of soup does Kate plan to make for her lunch party?
2. How many trees do the Minnies decorate each year?
3. What does Kate say is her mother's opinion of Austen?
4. How old is Teresa?
5. Why does Ellen cut the tag out of the dress she buys for Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
2. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
3. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
4. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
5. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
6. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
7. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
8. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
9. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
10. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is it that comes to Ellen's rescue after Ellen's arrest? What is her role in Ellen's life? Why does she take on this new role after Ellen's arrest? What are the repercussions and are they justified?
Essay Topic 3
The months spent caring for Kate changes Ellen's life dramatically. Describe the impact of those months on Ellen. Are any of the effects positive? Are any negative?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)