|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen make the trip back to Langhorne?
2. What is written on the apron Kate is wearing when Jonathan arrives?
3. How much younger is Stevie than Kate?
4. What kind of soup does Kate plan to make for her lunch party?
5. What are the two foods on George's plate as he talks to Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen say about the way people greeted Ellen and Kate?
2. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
3. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
4. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
5. What does Ellen say she believes her role was in her parents' marriage?
6. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
7. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
8. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
9. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
10. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the activities Ellen and Kate share during the months Ellen remains at home with Kate. Which of these are most important to Kate? Which are most important to Ellen? Why? What is the effect of these on their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)