|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many windows are in the room where Kate receives her chemotherapy treatment?
2. What is the store Ellen says her mother loves most?
3. How long does Ellen plan to remain at home during her visit?
4. Why does Kate say her mouth tastes like tin?
5. How old is Teresa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conversation Ellen and Kate have when Hally gives Kate the photo of her newborn baby?
2. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
3. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
4. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
5. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
6. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
7. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
8. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
9. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
10. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen and her mother are, in many ways, opposites. Compare the characters and Ellen and Kate. What are their most striking differences? Similarities? How and why do their characters change over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the activities Ellen and Kate share during the months Ellen remains at home with Kate. Which of these are most important to Kate? Which are most important to Ellen? Why? What is the effect of these on their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen is scornful of her father's lack of compassion for Kate, but he says that she should remember that he is taking "the night shift." What does he mean? Should George have done more for Kate? Is Ellen underestimating the role he's playing? Support your answers with examples from the story.
This section contains 1,585 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)