|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tweedy say about Ellen's announcement that she's going to her mother's?
2. When does Kate say she and Ellen had a talk about sex?
3. Where did Stevie die?
4. Why does Ellen cut the tag out of the dress she buys for Kate?
5. Where did Ellen's Gulden grandparents run a summer camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the prologue, what does Ellen say is the truth about her mother's death?
2. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
3. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
4. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
5. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
6. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
7. What is Ellen's father's solution to her mother's need for nursing care and what is Ellen's suggestion?
8. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
9. Describe Ellen's brothers.
10. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
Essay Topic 3
When Ellen and George have lunch together as her mother is becoming increasingly more dependent on pain medication, George says that it's time for them to begin planning Kate's funeral. Ellen says that her father asks too much of her and always has. What does Ellen mean? What is George's reaction? What does this say about their relationship?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)