|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate need that George had not been able to find during the night?
2. Who are in the two largest pictures in Ellen's parents' living room?
3. What is Skip's real first name?
4. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
5. What does Teresa say is wrong with the mother of the little girl who tells her jokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
2. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
3. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
4. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
5. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
6. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
7. What questions does Ellen ask about the organization of the book club and what does Kate respond?
8. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
9. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
10. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ellen and George have lunch together as her mother is becoming increasingly more dependent on pain medication, George says that it's time for them to begin planning Kate's funeral. Ellen says that her father asks too much of her and always has. What does Ellen mean? What is George's reaction? What does this say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Ellen and her father clash over his insistence that she remain at home with her mother. Describe the arguments of each. Are their arguments valid? Why or why not? What were the possible alternatives? George says Ellen being at home is the only acceptable option. Was he correct? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is Kate's reaction the first time she sees the wheelchair? Why does she react in this way? Why does she later accept the wheelchair? What does Ellen do to "decorate" the chair for the trip to decorate the Christmas tree? What is the reaction of the other women? Why do they react in that way? Later a little girl named Hattie compliments Kate on the wheelchair but her father reprimands her. Why?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)