|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kate say she met George?
2. Where does Ellen go with her brothers for ice cream?
3. What does Jonathan say Ellen smells like?
4. What does Kate say Brian would do as a child while she cooked?
5. What does Kate say she left at City Hall on her wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
2. What questions does Ellen ask about the organization of the book club and what does Kate respond?
3. What is Kate's initial reaction when she discovers that Ellen is home to stay?
4. What does Ellen say she believes her role was in her parents' marriage?
5. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
6. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
7. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
8. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
9. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
10. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jonathan? What is his relationship with Ellen? What do Jules and Kate think of him? Describe his actions over the course of Kate's illness. What is Ellen's reaction when he tells her he has an internship and wants her to live with him? What motivates this reaction? Is Ellen correct in this reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly explain how Ellen comes to be in jail. What is her purpose in not telling what she knows about her mother's death? What does that say about each of the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
What is Kate's reaction the first time she sees the wheelchair? Why does she react in this way? Why does she later accept the wheelchair? What does Ellen do to "decorate" the chair for the trip to decorate the Christmas tree? What is the reaction of the other women? Why do they react in that way? Later a little girl named Hattie compliments Kate on the wheelchair but her father reprimands her. Why?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)