|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT among the possessions Ellen brings back from New York?
2. What color is Teresa's coat on the first morning she arrives at the Gulden house?
3. What is Kate's pet name for her husband?
4. What are the two foods on George's plate as he talks to Ellen?
5. What does Ellen compare to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
2. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
3. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
4. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
5. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
6. What does Ellen say about the way people greeted Ellen and Kate?
7. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
8. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
9. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
10. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen is scornful of her father's lack of compassion for Kate, but he says that she should remember that he is taking "the night shift." What does he mean? Should George have done more for Kate? Is Ellen underestimating the role he's playing? Support your answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Kate doesn't want to have to have Ellen's help with personal hygiene such as bathing and dressing. Explain Kate's attitude. When the time comes that Kate has to call on Ellen to help her out of the bath, Ellen does so without complaint. Why is Kate reluctant to call on her routinely after that? What does Ellen say about how their relationship would change at that point? Is she correct?
Essay Topic 3
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)