|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kate's response to the opinion that her cancer might have been caused by her work in the dry cleaning shop?
2. What is written on the apron Kate is wearing when Jonathan arrives?
3. What does Kate say the book club will do after they complete the book they're working on?
4. What did Jonathan's father do for a living in New York City?
5. What does Ellen compare to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
2. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
3. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
4. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
5. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
6. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
7. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
8. What does Ellen say she believes her role was in her parents' marriage?
9. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
10. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ellen and George have lunch together as her mother is becoming increasingly more dependent on pain medication, George says that it's time for them to begin planning Kate's funeral. Ellen says that her father asks too much of her and always has. What does Ellen mean? What is George's reaction? What does this say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Teresa? What is her role in Ellen's life? Who i s Jules? What is her role in Ellen's life? Which of the two characters is more important to Ellen? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Kate doesn't want to have to have Ellen's help with personal hygiene such as bathing and dressing. Explain Kate's attitude. When the time comes that Kate has to call on Ellen to help her out of the bath, Ellen does so without complaint. Why is Kate reluctant to call on her routinely after that? What does Ellen say about how their relationship would change at that point? Is she correct?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)