Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sweater Ellen is wearing in the front page story about her arrest?
2. What does Kate say interrupted the conversation about sex?
3. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
4. What kind of vehicle does Jeff have?
5. What does Ellen have for dessert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
2. What happens to the relationship between Brian and Ellen after Kate's death and why?
3. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
4. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
5. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
6. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
7. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
8. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
9. What is Ellen's response when Dr. Cohn suggests that it's time to consider hospice or a hospital?
10. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
Essay Topic 1
When Ellen and George have lunch together as her mother is becoming increasingly more dependent on pain medication, George says that it's time for them to begin planning Kate's funeral. Ellen says that her father asks too much of her and always has. What does Ellen mean? What is George's reaction? What does this say about their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The months spent caring for Kate changes Ellen's life dramatically. Describe the impact of those months on Ellen. Are any of the effects positive? Are any negative?
Essay Topic 3
Kate doesn't want to have to have Ellen's help with personal hygiene such as bathing and dressing. Explain Kate's attitude. When the time comes that Kate has to call on Ellen to help her out of the bath, Ellen does so without complaint. Why is Kate reluctant to call on her routinely after that? What does Ellen say about how their relationship would change at that point? Is she correct?
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)