|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ellen plan to remain at home during her visit?
2. Where does Ellen go with her brothers for ice cream?
3. What color is Dr. Cohn's car?
4. What does Kate say the book club will do after they complete the book they're working on?
5. What is the store they enter where Ellen has trouble with the wheelchair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
2. In the prologue, what does Ellen say is the truth about her mother's death?
3. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
4. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
5. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
6. Describe Ellen's brothers.
7. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
8. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
9. What does Ellen say tips her off to the fact that Jules has been talking to her mother and what does that say about the relationship between Jules and her mother?
10. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen tries to question Dr. Cohn alone one day but the doctor refuses to talk about Kate's cancer without Kate present. Is the doctor correct? Ellen says that she wants to know more about the progression of the disease but can't ask without her mother present. Should she have asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
Essay Topic 3
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)