|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sweater Ellen is wearing in the front page story about her arrest?
2. What does Kate say interrupted the conversation about sex?
3. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
4. What kind of vehicle does Jeff have?
5. What does Ellen have for dessert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
2. What happens to the relationship between Brian and Ellen after Kate's death and why?
3. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
4. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
5. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
6. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
7. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
8. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
9. What is Ellen's response when Dr. Cohn suggests that it's time to consider hospice or a hospital?
10. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
Essay Topic 1
Ellen tries to question Dr. Cohn alone one day but the doctor refuses to talk about Kate's cancer without Kate present. Is the doctor correct? Ellen says that she wants to know more about the progression of the disease but can't ask without her mother present. Should she have asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Dr. Cohn suggests that a nurse be hired to help Kate with some of her difficult tasks, Ellen adamantly refuses. Why does she refuse when it's so obvious she needs help? Ellen herself had previously suggested to her father that a nurse be hired. Why is Ellen so against it when it's Dr. Cohn's idea? Is the nurse necessary? What is her impact on the family?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)