|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Dr. Belknap?
2. Why does Kate say her mouth tastes like tin?
3. What day do Brian and Jeff return home for Thanksgiving?
4. What does Ellen compare her mother's chest to?
5. Where does George ask Ellen to meet him for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
2. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
3. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
4. Describe Ellen's brothers.
5. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
6. What does Ellen say about the way people greeted Ellen and Kate?
7. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
8. What is Ellen's response when Dr. Cohn suggests that it's time to consider hospice or a hospital?
9. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
10. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen and her mother are, in many ways, opposites. Compare the characters and Ellen and Kate. What are their most striking differences? Similarities? How and why do their characters change over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Who is it that comes to Ellen's rescue after Ellen's arrest? What is her role in Ellen's life? Why does she take on this new role after Ellen's arrest? What are the repercussions and are they justified?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the activities Ellen and Kate share during the months Ellen remains at home with Kate. Which of these are most important to Kate? Which are most important to Ellen? Why? What is the effect of these on their relationship?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)