Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sweater Ellen is wearing in the front page story about her arrest?
2. What does Kate say interrupted the conversation about sex?
3. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
4. What kind of vehicle does Jeff have?
5. What does Ellen have for dessert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
2. What happens to the relationship between Brian and Ellen after Kate's death and why?
3. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
4. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
5. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
6. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
7. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
8. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
9. What is Ellen's response when Dr. Cohn suggests that it's time to consider hospice or a hospital?
10. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
What is Kate's reaction the first time she sees the wheelchair? Why does she react in this way? Why does she later accept the wheelchair? What does Ellen do to "decorate" the chair for the trip to decorate the Christmas tree? What is the reaction of the other women? Why do they react in that way? Later a little girl named Hattie compliments Kate on the wheelchair but her father reprimands her. Why?
Ellen is scornful of her father's lack of compassion for Kate, but he says that she should remember that he is taking "the night shift." What does he mean? Should George have done more for Kate? Is Ellen underestimating the role he's playing? Support your answers with examples from the story.
Describe the activities Ellen and Kate share during the months Ellen remains at home with Kate. Which of these are most important to Kate? Which are most important to Ellen? Why? What is the effect of these on their relationship?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)