|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stevie die?
2. How much younger is Stevie than Kate?
3. What does Jonathan say when Ellen says she's going home to take care of her mother?
4. What kind of flowers does Kate say were planted and died near the Christmas trees?
5. What is Kate's pet name for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does Ellen ask about the organization of the book club and what does Kate respond?
2. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
3. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
4. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
5. What is Ellen's father's solution to her mother's need for nursing care and what is Ellen's suggestion?
6. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
7. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
8. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
9. What does Ellen say about the way people greeted Ellen and Kate?
10. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of assisted suicide is one that has raised moral and legal questions in recent years. Do you believe that assisted suicide should be legal and is it morally acceptable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The months spent caring for Kate changes Ellen's life dramatically. Describe the impact of those months on Ellen. Are any of the effects positive? Are any negative?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen and her mother are, in many ways, opposites. Compare the characters and Ellen and Kate. What are their most striking differences? Similarities? How and why do their characters change over the course of the story?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)