|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen compare to the hospital?
2. What color is Dr. Cohn's car?
3. How long does Ellen plan to remain at home during her visit?
4. What day does Jonathan unexpectedly drop in?
5. What is the project Kate is asked to call on a young mother about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
2. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
3. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
4. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
5. Describe Ellen's brothers.
6. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
7. What does Ellen say she believes her role was in her parents' marriage?
8. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
9. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
10. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ellen's relationship with her mother, her father and her siblings. Who among these is she closer to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)