|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Teresa?
2. What is the name of the bar where Ellen goes with her brothers and Jonathan?
3. What class had Ellen been in with her jailer?
4. What are two of the items Ellen remembers they need at home?
5. What does Ellen compare her mother's chest to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
2. Describe Ellen's brothers.
3. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
4. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
5. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
6. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
7. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
8. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
9. What is Ellen's father's solution to her mother's need for nursing care and what is Ellen's suggestion?
10. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important scene in the book? Why? Why is that scene effective? Which is more important to that scene: the action or the setting? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Teresa? What is her role in Ellen's life? Who i s Jules? What is her role in Ellen's life? Which of the two characters is more important to Ellen? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen and her father clash over his insistence that she remain at home with her mother. Describe the arguments of each. Are their arguments valid? Why or why not? What were the possible alternatives? George says Ellen being at home is the only acceptable option. Was he correct? Why or why not?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)