|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
2. What are the costumes Brian and Jeff are wearing in the photo Kate has after Teresa leaves?
3. What kind of flowers does Kate say were planted and died near the Christmas trees?
4. What does Mrs. Fenner say about Kate's physical appearance?
5. What kind of soup does Kate plan to make for her lunch party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
2. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
3. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
4. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
5. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
6. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
7. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
8. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
9. In the prologue, what does Ellen say is the truth about her mother's death?
10. What does Ellen say tips her off to the fact that Jules has been talking to her mother and what does that say about the relationship between Jules and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Teresa? What is her role in Ellen's life? Who i s Jules? What is her role in Ellen's life? Which of the two characters is more important to Ellen? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The months spent caring for Kate changes Ellen's life dramatically. Describe the impact of those months on Ellen. Are any of the effects positive? Are any negative?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)