|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the items Ellen remembers they need at home?
2. What does Mr. Tweedy say about Ellen's announcement that she's going to her mother's?
3. When George was talking to Ellen as a child, what does he say "A" is for?
4. What was Ellen's class rank among her high school class?
5. What color is Ellen's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
2. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
3. What is Ellen's response when Dr. Cohn suggests that it's time to consider hospice or a hospital?
4. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
5. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
6. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
7. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
8. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
9. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
10. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen and her father clash over his insistence that she remain at home with her mother. Describe the arguments of each. Are their arguments valid? Why or why not? What were the possible alternatives? George says Ellen being at home is the only acceptable option. Was he correct? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What do you consider to be the main theme of this story? List at least three examples of this theme, and explain why it is important.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Teresa? What is her role in Ellen's life? Who i s Jules? What is her role in Ellen's life? Which of the two characters is more important to Ellen? Why?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)