|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Skip's real first name?
2. What is Kate's pet name for her husband?
3. What does Kate say Ellen would do as a child while she cooked?
4. What are two of the items Ellen remembers they need at home?
5. Where was Kate's Schwinn bought as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
2. What is the conversation Ellen and Kate have when Hally gives Kate the photo of her newborn baby?
3. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
4. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
5. What does Ellen say when Jeff asks if hallucinations are a side-effect of Kate's medication?
6. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
7. Who is Chris and what happens between Chris and Ellen?
8. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
9. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
10. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jonathan? What is his relationship with Ellen? What do Jules and Kate think of him? Describe his actions over the course of Kate's illness. What is Ellen's reaction when he tells her he has an internship and wants her to live with him? What motivates this reaction? Is Ellen correct in this reaction?
Essay Topic 2
When Dr. Cohn suggests that a nurse be hired to help Kate with some of her difficult tasks, Ellen adamantly refuses. Why does she refuse when it's so obvious she needs help? Ellen herself had previously suggested to her father that a nurse be hired. Why is Ellen so against it when it's Dr. Cohn's idea? Is the nurse necessary? What is her impact on the family?
Essay Topic 3
What are the "Minnies?" What is Kate's role in this group? Why is the group important to Kate? What is the reaction of the group's members after Kate's diagnosis? Why do they react this way? Is this typical?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)