|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate say her body looks like?
(a) A rotten peach
(b) A fence post
(c) A flabby fat person
(d) A baby's
2. When does Halley say her baby is due?
(a) A week from Friday
(b) A week earlier
(c) A month and a half
(d) Six weeks
3. What does Jonathan send to Ellen for Christmas?
(a) A movie
(b) A datebook
(c) A nightgown
(d) A plane ticket
4. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
(a) That it's the result of medication
(b) That she thinks her mother is just too tired to go on
(c) That it's the result of the cancer
(d) That it's a product of too much time spent reading
5. What is the pattern on the curtains in the living room?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George feeding Kate when Ellen stops by the den that night?
2. Why does Ellen say she'd decided to protect her father?
3. Why does Kate say she read the books she and Ellen read as a "book club?"
4. How often does Teresa say she goes back to the city?
5. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
2. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
3. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
4. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
5. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
6. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
7. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
8. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
9. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
10. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)