|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is George feeding Kate when Ellen stops by the den that night?
(a) Rice pudding
(b) Tomato soup
(c) Spoonfuls of dissolved morphine
(d) A scrambled egg
2. Where is the lunch held after Kate's funeral?
(a) At the Duane's
(b) At the church
(c) At a local restaurant
(d) At George and Kate's home
3. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
(a) A different book
(b) An audio book
(c) A large-print edition
(d) A magnifying glass
4. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
(a) That it's a product of too much time spent reading
(b) That it's the result of medication
(c) That she thinks her mother is just too tired to go on
(d) That it's the result of the cancer
5. How often does Teresa come after Christmas?
(a) Four times weekly
(b) Three times weekly
(d) Twice weekly
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does Ellen watch the evening she's home alone?
2. What is the word Ellen chooses to describe her paternal grandfather?
3. Where does Ellen meet Jeff after she's released from Jail?
4. What does Ellen find taped to the door of her father's office?
5. What was George drinking on the night Ellen came downstairs for milk to find her parents at the dining room table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
2. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
3. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
4. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
5. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
6. What is the memory Ellen has about a tree lighting event the first year her mother was one of the Minnies?
7. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
8. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
9. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
10. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)