|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen say she'd decided to protect her father?
(a) She believes he couldn't withstand a trial
(b) She loves him
(c) She believes he had been unable to bear Kate's suffering
(d) She doesn't believe he really killed Kate
2. What is the group that offers to pay for Ellen's legal expenses?
(a) The Doctors for Dignified Endings
(b) The Death with Dignity organization
(c) The Center for the Right to Die
(d) The Humane Euthansia group
3. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
(a) That it's the result of medication
(b) That it's a product of too much time spent reading
(c) That it's the result of the cancer
(d) That she thinks her mother is just too tired to go on
4. What is the topic George asks Ellen about that night she comes down to get milk and finds her parents in the dining room?
(a) The closing of a college campus
(b) The building of a new apartment complex
(c) The installation of a new water system
(d) The razing of a park
5. Which of the following was not among the Christmas movies the family watches together?
(a) A Christmas Carol
(b) White Christmas
(c) Miracle on 34th Street
(d) It's a Wonderful Life
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Jeff give him initially to defend Ellen?
2. What kind of creature does Ellen find in the trash one night?
3. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
4. What does Jonathan send to Ellen for Christmas?
5. What is the game Grandmother Gulden teaches Ellen when she's a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
2. What is Ellen doing that causes the newspaper stories to say that Ellen was "fleeing?"
3. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
4. What is Ellen's reaction when Jeff makes fun of her for baking cookies and why does she react this way?
5. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
6. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
7. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
8. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
9. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
10. What does Ellen think about when Jeff asks if she has a message for Jon? What is her message?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)