|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
(a) Because it pleases Kate
(b) Because it makes Ellen feel productive
(c) Because George feels it's necessary
(d) Because Kate would have done it if she were able
2. How much does Jeff give him initially to defend Ellen?
3. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
(a) An audio book
(b) A different book
(c) A magnifying glass
(d) A large-print edition
4. Why does Ellen say she can't be angry with George?
(a) Because he's suffering as well
(b) Because she can't afford to
(c) Because it would upset her mother
(d) Because she'd kill him
5. What is the smell Ellen associates with her lawyer?
(d) Cigar smoke
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word Ellen chooses to describe her paternal grandfather?
2. Why does Ellen say she didn't call her father after her mother's death?
3. Which of the following was not among the Christmas movies the family watches together?
4. Who tells Ellen that the cause of Kate's death is an overdose of morphine?
5. How long does Mrs. Forburg say she was married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
2. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
3. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
4. What does Mrs. Forburg say about why teaching is important to her and what does she say about understanding Ellen's challenges as a student?
5. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
6. What is the conversation Ellen and Kate have when Hally gives Kate the photo of her newborn baby?
7. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
8. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
9. What does Jeff say about Brian's problems at college and what is Ellen's response?
10. What changes on the day when Kate calls for Ellen to help her out of the tub?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)