|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen say she didn't call her father after her mother's death?
(a) She was angry at her father
(b) She'd wanted time to make coffee first
(c) She didn't want to let go of Kate's hand
(d) She didn't realize Kate was dead
2. What does Ellen give her mother for Christmas?
(a) A scarf
(b) A bracelet
(d) A book
3. How long does it take to decorate their tree?
(a) Almost three hours
(b) Almost four hours
(c) Two hours
(d) Just more than an hour
4. How long does Ellen say it is before she sees her father again?
(a) Eighteen months except on holidays
(b) Eight years with only one exception
(c) Three months
(d) Four years, three months and six days
5. What happened to Chris's hand?
(a) He cut it with a chain saw
(b) His father cut it when he was a child
(c) He cut it with a farming implement
(d) He got it caught in a printing press
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the suit Ellen buys to wear to the funeral?
2. Why does Kate say she read the books she and Ellen read as a "book club?"
3. What color is the ribbon Ellen and Kate thread through the wheelchair wheels?
4. What is Mrs. Duane's first name?
5. What does Kate say her body looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conversation Ellen and Kate have when Hally gives Kate the photo of her newborn baby?
2. Describe the scene in which George is feeding Kate rice pudding. What does Ellen believe is happening?
3. What happened to ruin Kate's evening out with George?
4. Describe some of the reactions to Ellen's arrest.
5. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
6. What does Teresa say when Ellen asks if she's curious as to why George is never home?
7. Why does Ellen say that no one acknowledges the ribbons on her mother's wheelchair wheels?
8. What does Ellen say to Mrs. Duane when she says that she's been meaning to visit Kate?
9. What are Ellen's theories about why Mrs. Duane and Kate don't talk about men while they're having lunch together?
10. What is George's response when Kate says she loves Christmas? What does he mean?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)