|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate say she's going to make Dr. Cohn for Christmas?
(a) A menorah
(b) A pillow
(c) A painting
2. What was Ellen's class rank among her high school class?
(a) Number four
(b) Number one
(c) Number three
(d) Number two
3. What does Kate say is her mother's opinion of Austen?
(a) That she's condescending to women
(b) That she's a poor writer
(c) That she's viscious against men
(d) That she's racist
4. What is the name of the bar where Ellen goes with her brothers and Jonathan?
(a) Jacks are Wild
(c) Langhorn Saloon
(d) Sally's Corner
5. What does Kate say the book club will do after they complete the book they're working on?
(a) Take a week to talk about the theme
(b) Set aside a day to compare characters
(c) Talk about the plot with George
(d) Go to the next book
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa say is wrong with the mother of the little girl who tells her jokes?
2. What class had Ellen been in with her jailer?
3. What is the first name of the psychiatrist Dr. Cohn recommends Ellen call on?
4. What does Ellen compare to the hospital?
5. What does Mrs. Fenner say about Kate's physical appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
2. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
3. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
4. In the prologue, what does Ellen say is the truth about her mother's death?
5. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
6. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
7. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
8. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
9. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
10. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)