|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ellen's Gulden grandparents run a summer camp?
(b) New York State
2. What does Ellen compare her mother's chest to?
(a) A pillow
(b) A balloon
(c) A baby bird
(d) An ironing board
3. Why does Kate say her mouth tastes like tin?
(a) Because of the restrictive diet
(b) Because of the anti-depressants
(c) Because of the platinum in the chemotherapy
(d) Because of the cancer
4. What breaks the silence after the waiter takes their order?
(a) George's pager
(b) Falling pots and pans
(c) Ellen's cell phone
(d) Another faculty member
5. What does Ellen say is the effect of her father's affair on her parents' marriage?
(a) They learn to respect each other
(c) They have to see a counselor
(d) They find renewed romance
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Teresa's coat on the first morning she arrives at the Gulden house?
2. What kind of soup does Kate plan to make for her lunch party?
3. What is the name of the newspaper in which the story of Ellen's arrest appears?
4. What does Teresa say is wrong with the mother of the little girl who tells her jokes?
5. What is the store Ellen says her mother loves most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
2. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
3. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
4. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
5. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
6. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
7. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
8. What is Ellen's response when Dr. Cohn suggests that it's time to consider hospice or a hospital?
9. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
10. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)