|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen compare her mother's chest to?
(a) An ironing board
(b) A pillow
(c) A balloon
(d) A baby bird
2. What is happening in the dream from which Kate awakes?
(a) She is driving into fog
(b) She is falling
(c) She and Jonathan are biting each other
(d) She is watching her mother die
3. What day does Ellen say she'll be back?
(d) She doesn't say
4. What color is Dr. Cohn's car?
5. What does Kate do while Ellen reads in the park?
(b) Goes for a walk
(c) Works on a needlepoint project
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate say she and Teresa were laughing about while Ellen was downstairs?
2. What kind of vehicle does Jeff have?
3. What does Mrs. Fenner say about Kate's physical appearance?
4. What does Kate say the book club will do after they complete the book they're working on?
5. What does Kate say interrupted the conversation about sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen say she believes her role was in her parents' marriage?
2. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
3. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
4. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
5. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
6. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
7. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
8. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
9. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
10. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)