|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the sweater Ellen is wearing in the front page story about her arrest?
2. What does Teresa say is wrong with the mother of the little girl who tells her jokes?
(a) She has diabetes
(b) She has breast cancer
(c) She has heart trouble
(d) She has leukemia
3. When does Kate say she and Ellen had a talk about sex?
(a) They never did
(b) When Ellen was eleven
(c) When Ellen went to her first school dance
(d) When Elen was thirteen
4. What day does Jonathan unexpectedly drop in?
5. Where does George ask Ellen to meet him for lunch?
(a) At a sandwich shop on campus
(b) At a sushi bar downtown
(c) At a steakhouse several miles from campus
(d) At a grill near their house
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kate say she met George?
2. What is the name of the bar where Ellen goes with her brothers and Jonathan?
3. Where did Ellen's parents go after their marriage ceremony?
4. What kind of soup does Kate plan to make for her lunch party?
5. What is Kate's response to the opinion that her cancer might have been caused by her work in the dry cleaning shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the prologue, what does Ellen say is the truth about her mother's death?
2. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
3. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
4. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
5. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
6. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
7. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
8. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
9. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
10. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)