|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day does Jonathan unexpectedly drop in?
2. What are the limits Dr. Cohn puts on Kate's activities?
(a) There are no limits
(b) Anything that doesn't require too much energy
(c) Nothing that requires that she drive
(d) No ladders or staple guns
3. What does Mrs. Fenner say about Kate's physical appearance?
(a) That she's obviously gained weight
(b) That she's obviously been ill
(c) That she's obviously lost weight
(d) That she's obviously been working out
4. What is Jules' reaction to Ellen's news that she and her mother have formed a book club?
(a) She predicts they won't finish the books
(b) She says it's a bad idea
(c) She says it's bound to be tedious
(d) She says Ellen was very smart
5. What does Kate do while Ellen reads in the park?
(b) Goes for a walk
(d) Works on a needlepoint project
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jonathan's father do for a living in New York City?
2. What does Ellen note about the size of her parents' home as compared to other houses on the block?
3. What does Kate say the book club will do after they complete the book they're working on?
4. What does Mr. Tweedy say about Ellen's announcement that she's going to her mother's?
5. Who was Dr. Belknap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
2. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
3. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
4. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
5. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
6. What is Ellen's father's solution to her mother's need for nursing care and what is Ellen's suggestion?
7. What is Ellen's reaction to Jonathan's news when he calls her?
8. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
9. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
10. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)