|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two words are repeated in the lullaby Ellen's mother sings to her?
(a) Safe and sound
(b) Ellen and Mama
(c) Lullaby and good-night
(d) Peace and joy
2. What day does Ellen say she'll be back?
(c) She doesn't say
3. Which of the following was not one of the first books Kate and Ellen buy for their book club?
(a) Great Expectations
(b) Anna Karenina
(c) Pride and Prejudice
(d) Sense and Sensibility
4. What does Ellen break just before preparing to leave?
(a) A picture frame
(b) A pitcher
(c) A glass
(d) A porcelein bell
5. What does Kate say she's done to cause her back to hurt?
(a) Thrown out a disc
(b) Developed a kidney stone
(c) Bruised it
(d) She says the cancer is causing the pain
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the items Ellen remembers they need at home?
2. How long does Ellen plan to remain at home during her visit?
3. What does Teresa say is wrong with the mother of the little girl who tells her jokes?
4. What are the costumes Brian and Jeff are wearing in the photo Kate has after Teresa leaves?
5. What does Kate say interrupted the conversation about sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
2. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
3. Why does Ellen ask Jules not to come to the funeral?
4. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
5. What is Jon's role in Ellen's arrest?
6. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
7. What is Jonathan's relationship with his mother?
8. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
9. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
10. What does Ellen do when she and Jeff go to the cemetery?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)