|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the first books Kate and Ellen buy for their book club?
(a) Sense and Sensibility
(b) Anna Karenina
(c) Pride and Prejudice
(d) Great Expectations
2. What is the name of the bar where Ellen goes with her brothers and Jonathan?
(b) Langhorn Saloon
(c) Jacks are Wild
(d) Sally's Corner
3. What is Skip's real first name?
(a) Ellen doesn't know
4. What is Kate's pet name for her husband?
5. What does Kate say she left at City Hall on her wedding day?
(a) A library book
(b) Her ring
(c) Her bouquet
(d) A photo
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen say her mother does the day after their marriage?
2. What does Kate say she's done to cause her back to hurt?
3. Where did Ellen's Gulden grandparents run a summer camp?
4. How often does Kate go to the hospital for chemotherapy?
5. What is the first name of the psychiatrist Dr. Cohn recommends Ellen call on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ellen's brothers.
2. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
3. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
4. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
5. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
6. What does Ellen say tips her off to the fact that Jules has been talking to her mother and what does that say about the relationship between Jules and her mother?
7. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
8. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
9. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
10. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)