|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ellen's parents go after their marriage ceremony?
(a) Niagra Falls
(c) Cambers Street
2. What day does Ellen say she'll be back?
(b) She doesn't say
3. What does Jonathan say when Ellen says she's going home to take care of her mother?
(a) That she's doing the right thing
(b) That she can't handle the nursing duties
(c) That they should hire a nurse
(d) That he can't stand to be without her
4. What did Mrs. Foburg teach when Ellen was her student?
5. What two words are repeated in the lullaby Ellen's mother sings to her?
(a) Safe and sound
(b) Lullaby and good-night
(c) Peace and joy
(d) Ellen and Mama
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tweedy say about Ellen's announcement that she's going to her mother's?
2. How much younger is Stevie than Kate?
3. Where is Jonathan's father for the Thanksgiving holiday?
4. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
5. What color does Ellen say her father's hair is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
2. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
3. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
4. What is Ellen's father's solution to her mother's need for nursing care and what is Ellen's suggestion?
5. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
6. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
7. What is Kate's initial reaction when she discovers that Ellen is home to stay?
8. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
9. What questions does Ellen ask about the organization of the book club and what does Kate respond?
10. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)