|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What breaks the silence after the waiter takes their order?
(a) Another faculty member
(b) Falling pots and pans
(c) Ellen's cell phone
(d) George's pager
2. What are the two foods on George's plate as he talks to Ellen?
(a) Sandwich and a pickle
(b) Mushrooms and ground beef
(c) Steak and potatoes
(d) Sushi and rice
3. What is the store Ellen says her mother loves most?
(a) A furniture store
(b) An antique store
(c) A fabric store
(d) A hardware store
4. What does Kate say is her mother's opinion of Austen?
(a) That she's viscious against men
(b) That she's racist
(c) That she's condescending to women
(d) That she's a poor writer
5. What does Ellen break just before preparing to leave?
(a) A pitcher
(b) A picture frame
(c) A glass
(d) A porcelein bell
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ellen say she'll be back?
2. What are two of the items Ellen remembers they need at home?
3. What are the limits Dr. Cohn puts on Kate's activities?
4. Which of the following was not one of the first books Kate and Ellen buy for their book club?
5. Where does Kate say she met George?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does Ellen ask about the organization of the book club and what does Kate respond?
2. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
3. What are the reactions of Brian and Jeff to their mother's appearance when they come home for Thanksgiving?
4. List at least three details Ellen recalls about the hospital where her mother was given chemotherapy.
5. What does Teresa say about Kate's bathing?
6. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
7. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
8. Describe Kate's role in the early days of her marriage to George.
9. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
10. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)