|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Ellen say her father's hair is?
2. What does Ellen say about the sound of her father's voice as he heads up the stairway after their argument?
(a) That it sounds drugged like the Mad Hatter
(b) That it's lofty, like the Wizard of Oz
(c) That it's disembodied like the Cheshire Cat
(d) That there's a stutter to it like the Cowardly Lion
3. What does Kate name the book club she forms with Ellen?
(a) The Book Club
(b) Our Reading Together Book Club
(c) The Gulden Girls Book Club
(d) Books Together
4. What is the snack Ellen makes that she says her mother frequently made for them as children?
(a) Rice Crispy treats
(b) Strawberry shortcake
(c) Chocolate chip cookies
(d) Cinnamon toast
5. How often does Kate go to the hospital for chemotherapy?
(a) Every three weeks
(b) Every week
(c) Every nine days
(d) Every five days
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
2. What class had Ellen been in with her jailer?
3. What is happening in the dream from which Kate awakes?
4. What does Jonathan say Ellen smells like?
5. What color is the apron Kate is wearing when Kate begins to make lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
2. Describe the story about Ellen that appears in the Tribune.
3. What does Ellen say tips her off to the fact that Jules has been talking to her mother and what does that say about the relationship between Jules and her mother?
4. What is Kate's initial reaction when she discovers that Ellen is home to stay?
5. What are some of the noises Ellen hears while she's in jail?
6. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
7. What questions does Ellen ask about the organization of the book club and what does Kate respond?
8. What does Ellen expect she'll find with regard to her mother's physical condition and what does she actually find?
9. What is the "secret ingredient" Ellen adds to the chicken stock and what does her mother say about it?
10. Describe Ellen's brothers.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)