|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate say interrupted the conversation about sex?
(a) Ellen's forward questions
(b) The telephone
(d) She feared starting the conversation
2. Where did Ellen's parents go after their marriage ceremony?
(a) Cambers Street
(b) Niagra Falls
3. What does Ellen say is the effect of her father's affair on her parents' marriage?
(b) They have to see a counselor
(c) They learn to respect each other
(d) They find renewed romance
4. What does Kate name the book club she forms with Ellen?
(a) The Gulden Girls Book Club
(b) Books Together
(c) Our Reading Together Book Club
(d) The Book Club
5. Who was Dr. Belknap?
(a) Ellen's father's best friend
(b) Ellen's psychiatrist
(c) Ellen's mother's oncologist
(d) Ellen's pediatrician
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules think of Jonathan?
2. What are the limits Dr. Cohn puts on Kate's activities?
3. What day does Ellen say she'll be back?
4. What color do the Minnies decide they'll use to decorate their trees?
5. What does Kate say is her mother's opinion of Austen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen say tips her off to the fact that Jules has been talking to her mother and what does that say about the relationship between Jules and her mother?
2. What is the difference between the bedtime songs sang by Ellen's mother and those of her father, and what is their effect on Ellen?
3. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
4. What is the new arrangement Dr. Cohn says she's going to make for Kate and what is Ellen's reaction?
5. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
6. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs as Kate and her guests try to decide on a color scheme for decorating the Christmas trees?
7. In the prologue, what does Ellen say is the truth about her mother's death?
8. How does Ellen discover that her father is having an affair?
9. What are Ellen's thoughts when she goes into her mother's room and sees that she's so emaciated.
10. Why does Kate say she prefers to do things from scratch rather than buying them, such as buying canned chicken broth? What is Ellen's response?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)