|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate need that George had not been able to find during the night?
(c) A heating pad
2. What class had Ellen been in with her jailer?
3. What does Ellen break just before preparing to leave?
(a) A glass
(b) A pitcher
(c) A porcelein bell
(d) A picture frame
4. What is the news Jonathan has when he calls Ellen?
(a) That he has a summer internship
(b) That he's found a permanent job in New York
(c) That he saw Jules and arranged to lease an apartment
(d) That he wants to marry her
5. How long does Ellen plan to remain at home during her visit?
(a) As long as her mother needs her
(b) She doesn't plan
(c) Four days
(d) Four weeks
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ellen and Kate eat in the park?
2. What does Kate say is her mother's opinion of Austen?
3. What does Ellen say is the effect of her father's affair on her parents' marriage?
4. What does Ellen compare to the hospital?
5. What is the project Kate is asked to call on a young mother about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George say when Ellen accuses him of doing nothing to help with Kate?
2. What is Jules' advice about Ellen's decision to stay with her mother?
3. Briefly describe the conversation that occurs when one of the women asks if George is taking time off.
4. What is Kate's reaction when she first sees the wheelchair?
5. What is the final thing George says to Ellen before she leaves the restaurant where they'd met for lunch and what is her response?
6. How did Jonathan and his father come to live in Langhorne?
7. What is Kate's initial reaction when she discovers that Ellen is home to stay?
8. What does Ellen say tips her off to the fact that Jules has been talking to her mother and what does that say about the relationship between Jules and her mother?
9. What does Ellen say about the way people greeted Ellen and Kate?
10. What does Ellen say about putting the futon into her mother's home?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)