|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the word Ellen chooses to describe her paternal grandfather?
2. What kind of coat does Kate wear when she and George go out for dinner and music?
3. Who is decorating the tree next to Kate's?
(a) Mrs. Formburg
(b) Mrs. Davis
(c) Mrs. Duane
(d) Mrs. Best
4. Why does Ellen say she'd decided to protect her father?
(a) She believes he couldn't withstand a trial
(b) She doesn't believe he really killed Kate
(c) She believes he had been unable to bear Kate's suffering
(d) She loves him
5. What color is the ribbon Ellen and Kate thread through the wheelchair wheels?
(b) Red and white
(d) Red and blue
6. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
(a) Because Kate would have done it if she were able
(b) Because it pleases Kate
(c) Because George feels it's necessary
(d) Because it makes Ellen feel productive
7. What kind of creature does Ellen find in the trash one night?
(a) A cat
(b) A raccoon
(c) An oppossum
(d) A dog
8. What is the pattern on the curtains in the living room?
9. What is on the shirt Kate wears to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony?
(b) A Christmas tree
10. What color are Ms. Duane's eyes?
(b) The book doesn't say
11. Why does Ellen say she can't be angry with George?
(a) Because she'd kill him
(b) Because she can't afford to
(c) Because he's suffering as well
(d) Because it would upset her mother
12. What does Teresa say happened to her mother?
(a) She was hit by a cab
(b) She died in childbirth
(c) She had cancer but it is in remission
(d) She died of cancer
13. What does Kate need when she calls for Ellen on pages 162?
(a) Help reading a phone number
(b) Help getting out of the tub
(c) More medicine
14. What was Ellen's role in the mock trial when she was in school?
(a) She was the judge
(b) She was the defendant
(c) She was the prosecutor
(d) She was a member of the jury
15. What does the Mayor say by way of a holiday greeting?
(a) Happy holidays
(b) Glad tidings to you all
(c) Merry Christmas
(d) Ho, ho, ho
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sandwich does Ellen eat after the trees are decorated?
2. What is the game Grandmother Gulden teaches Ellen when she's a child?
3. What does Ellen wear to her grand jury appearance?
4. How often does Teresa come after Christmas?
5. What does Teresa say about the condition of the woman with breast cancer about the same time that the woman with pancreatic cancer dies?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)