|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen say she'd decided to protect her father?
(a) She loves him
(b) She doesn't believe he really killed Kate
(c) She believes he had been unable to bear Kate's suffering
(d) She believes he couldn't withstand a trial
2. What is Ellen's answer when the prosecutor asks if she killed Kate?
(a) She says she didn't but that she knows who did
(b) She says that she didn't but believes her father did
(c) She says she couldn't do it
(d) She says she did it
3. How much does Jeff give him initially to defend Ellen?
4. What color is the ribbon Ellen and Kate thread through the wheelchair wheels?
(a) Red and white
(c) Red and blue
5. How often does Teresa say she goes back to the city?
(b) Only for holidays
(c) Almost every weekend
(d) About once a month
6. Why does Jules quit her job?
(a) She decides she wants to be a nurse
(b) She wants to move closer to Ellen
(c) Her boss demands she write an account of her friendship with Ellen
(d) She finds a position with a great deal more money
7. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
(a) That she thinks her mother is just too tired to go on
(b) That it's the result of the cancer
(c) That it's a product of too much time spent reading
(d) That it's the result of medication
8. Where does Ellen spend the night after Kate asks Ellen to help end her suffering?
(a) In her room
(b) In a chair in the den
(c) In jail
(d) On the bed beside her mother
9. Where is Ellen when Kate dies?
(a) In the room with her mother
(b) In the kitchen
(c) In bed
(d) Looking for her father
10. What happened to Chris's hand?
(a) He got it caught in a printing press
(b) His father cut it when he was a child
(c) He cut it with a farming implement
(d) He cut it with a chain saw
11. Who is the attorney who defends Ellen for the majority of the trial?
(a) Barry Smith
(b) Robert Greenstein
(c) Jeffery Green
(d) Johnathan Jester
12. What was Ellen's role in the mock trial when she was in school?
(a) She was the judge
(b) She was a member of the jury
(c) She was the prosecutor
(d) She was the defendant
13. What kind of earrings is Teresa wearing?
(a) Turqoise dangles
(b) Gold hoops
(c) Silver studs
(d) Pink bows
14. How long has Ellen stayed with her mother before her death?
(a) Five months
(b) Eight weeks
(c) Eight months
(d) Two weeks
15. What color are the curtains in Mrs. Forburg's kitchen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen say she buys flowers?
2. Who is decorating the tree next to Kate's?
3. Why does Jeff enter the back door of Mrs. Forburg's house?
4. What does the little girl named Hettie say to Kate?
5. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)