|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic George asks Ellen about that night she comes down to get milk and finds her parents in the dining room?
(a) The building of a new apartment complex
(b) The installation of a new water system
(c) The razing of a park
(d) The closing of a college campus
2. Why does Kate say she read the books she and Ellen read as a "book club?"
(a) She wanted a chance to learn about literature
(b) She wanted to read them with Ellen
(c) They were George's idea
(d) She had never read them
3. What does Kate say is the key to decorating the tree in the park?
(a) Being gaudy
(b) Being conservative
(c) Being generous
(d) Being glittery
4. How long does Ellen say it is before she sees her father again?
(a) Three months
(b) Eight years with only one exception
(c) Eighteen months except on holidays
(d) Four years, three months and six days
5. What is the word Ellen chooses to describe her paternal grandfather?
6. What is the view Kate has from her hospital bed?
(a) The street
(b) The back yard
(c) The driveway and the house next door
(d) There isn't a view
7. What does Jonathan send to Ellen for Christmas?
(a) A nightgown
(b) A movie
(c) A datebook
(d) A plane ticket
8. Who is the attorney who defends Ellen for the majority of the trial?
(a) Robert Greenstein
(b) Barry Smith
(c) Johnathan Jester
(d) Jeffery Green
9. How often does Teresa come after Christmas?
(a) Three times weekly
(c) Four times weekly
(d) Twice weekly
10. Why does Kate say she won't read anymore?
(a) She's tired of the books
(b) She wants to talk with the time she has left
(c) She's losing her eyesight
(d) The books depress her
11. What does Ellen buy hoping her mother will continue to read?
(a) An audio book
(b) A magnifying glass
(c) A large-print edition
(d) A different book
12. What kind of earrings is Teresa wearing?
(a) Turqoise dangles
(b) Pink bows
(c) Silver studs
(d) Gold hoops
13. Why does Jules quit her job?
(a) Her boss demands she write an account of her friendship with Ellen
(b) She wants to move closer to Ellen
(c) She finds a position with a great deal more money
(d) She decides she wants to be a nurse
14. What does Ellen say about her mother's loss of vision?
(a) That it's the result of medication
(b) That she thinks her mother is just too tired to go on
(c) That it's a product of too much time spent reading
(d) That it's the result of the cancer
15. Where is Ellen when Kate dies?
(a) Looking for her father
(b) In the room with her mother
(c) In bed
(d) In the kitchen
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Duane's first name?
2. What was Ellen's role in the mock trial when she was in school?
3. What is Ellen's answer when the prosecutor asks if she killed Kate?
4. Where is the lunch held after Kate's funeral?
5. Who tells Ellen that the cause of Kate's death is an overdose of morphine?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)