|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first name of the psychiatrist Dr. Cohn recommends Ellen call on?
2. How often does Kate go to the hospital for chemotherapy?
(a) Every nine days
(b) Every week
(c) Every five days
(d) Every three weeks
3. What is the store Ellen says her mother loves most?
(a) A hardware store
(b) An antique store
(c) A furniture store
(d) A fabric store
4. What is the snack Ellen makes that she says her mother frequently made for them as children?
(a) Cinnamon toast
(b) Chocolate chip cookies
(c) Strawberry shortcake
(d) Rice Crispy treats
5. What did Jonathan's father do for a living in New York City?
(a) He's a court baliff
(b) He's a police officer
(c) He's a justice of the peace
(d) He's a lawyer
6. What are the final words George says to Ellen as he disappears up the stairway?
(a) That she should remember that she has a duty
(b) That the family is nearing bankrupt because of the medical bills
(c) That she should remember that he takes the night shift
(d) That she should call on the boys for help
7. How long does Ellen plan to remain at home during her visit?
(a) Four weeks
(b) Four days
(c) She doesn't plan
(d) As long as her mother needs her
8. Who are in the two largest pictures in Ellen's parents' living room?
(a) The entire family
(b) Jeff and Brian
(c) The three children
(d) Ellen's parents
9. What is Kate's pet name for her husband?
10. Where did Stevie die?
11. Who was Dr. Belknap?
(a) Ellen's pediatrician
(b) Ellen's mother's oncologist
(c) Ellen's father's best friend
(d) Ellen's psychiatrist
12. Where was Kate's Schwinn bought as a child?
(a) Riverside Park
(b) Roadside Wheelers
(c) A second-hand shop downtown
(d) Parker's Cycle shop
13. Where does Ellen and Kate meet Sheila Fenner?
(a) The movies
(b) The mall
(c) The book store
(d) The museum
14. What does Ellen first think she's hearing when she's wakened by her mother's cries?
(a) A siren
(b) A dog
(c) A baby
(d) The television
15. Where did Ellen's Gulden grandparents run a summer camp?
(d) New York State
Short Answer Questions
1. How many windows are in the room where Kate receives her chemotherapy treatment?
2. What is Ellen's job in New York?
3. What color is Teresa's coat on the first morning she arrives at the Gulden house?
4. What is Jules' reaction to Ellen's news that she and her mother have formed a book club?
5. Which of the following is not one of the activities Ellen describes having with her mother?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)