|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate say is her mother's opinion of Austen?
(a) That she's a poor writer
(b) That she's racist
(c) That she's condescending to women
(d) That she's viscious against men
2. What is the snack Ellen makes that she says her mother frequently made for them as children?
(a) Rice Crispy treats
(b) Strawberry shortcake
(c) Cinnamon toast
(d) Chocolate chip cookies
3. How much younger is Stevie than Kate?
(a) Four years
(b) He's actually two years older
(c) Twelve years
(d) Two years
4. What is the project Kate is asked to call on a young mother about?
(a) Stenciling flowers on a crib
(b) Sewing ruffles for curtains
(c) Knitting baby booties
(d) Crocheting a baby blanket
5. Where did Stevie die?
6. What does Ellen compare her mother's chest to?
(a) A baby bird
(b) A pillow
(c) A balloon
(d) An ironing board
7. What is written on the apron Kate is wearing when Jonathan arrives?
(a) Chicken soup is good for you
(b) The choices for dinner: take it or leave it
(c) Never trust a skinny cook
(d) Kiss the cook
8. What does Jonathan say Ellen smells like?
9. What color is Teresa's coat on the first morning she arrives at the Gulden house?
10. What do Ellen and Kate eat in the park?
(a) Peanut butter and jelly
11. What is the first name of the psychiatrist Dr. Cohn recommends Ellen call on?
12. What kind of trees do the Minnies decorate each year?
(a) Blue Spruce
13. What are the final words George says to Ellen as he disappears up the stairway?
(a) That she should call on the boys for help
(b) That she should remember that she has a duty
(c) That she should remember that he takes the night shift
(d) That the family is nearing bankrupt because of the medical bills
14. What does Kate say Brian would do as a child while she cooked?
(a) Run away
(b) Plead for tastes
(d) Stir flour and water together
15. What day does Ellen say she'll be back?
(d) She doesn't say
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate do while Ellen reads in the park?
2. What breaks the silence after the waiter takes their order?
3. What does Ellen compare to the hospital?
4. What day do Brian and Jeff return home for Thanksgiving?
5. What does Kate say she's done to cause her back to hurt?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)