Prologue, Pages 12 - 26
• The prologue offers details about Ellen's stay in jail.
• Ellen says that she wishes she had been able to do what her mother asked, but that she hadn't.
• In chapter one, Ellen recounts a four-day visit home to see her brothers who were both leaving for college.
• Ellen's mother has surgery, and she learns from her father that it's cancer.
• Ellen and her father argue because he says she should take a leave from her job and return home to care for her mother.
• Ellen says that her father should take a sabbatical to care for her but returns to the city with the agreement that she'll be back.
Pages 27 - 46
• Ellen has dinner with her best friend, Jules, before leaving the city.
• Jules assures Ellen that she's doing the right thing.
• Ellen's boss offers her a raise if she'll remain but she declines.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)