Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
2. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
3. What is the most prominent form of defensive tactics according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz say he is trying to do in Book 3, Chapter 2?
5. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that "Normally [...] that loss of [the enemy's] territory weakens the fighting forces [of the enemy]," Do you think that statement is true? Give historical examples and Clausewitz' "On War" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does Clausewitz say about officers in "On War"? Explain the contradiction of looking for the best officers, but only considering aristocrats for those positions and not from among the other 90% of the people. Use the text and secondary sources to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about long forgotten gentlemen rules that forbid one side from attacking the other's camp. What rules were present in the 19th century battlefield? Why were those rules created? Use the book to support your statements.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)