|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
2. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
3. What effect can physical violence have on troops if they don't understand why violence should be used according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz call the area where military action occurs?
5. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
2. What is war according to Clausewitz?
3. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
5. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
6. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
7. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
8. How does Clausewitz define defense?
9. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
10. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz talks about the importance of the popularity of the campaign in war. How does popularity affect the war? Make sure to give at least 3 examples; one for the political aspect, one for the tactical aspect and one for the strategic aspect and use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)