|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the offensive party's line of thinking only concerned with the attack according to Clausewitz?
2. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
3. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
4. What does Clausewitz say about the use of the forces available in Book 3, Chapter 2?
5. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
2. How does Clausewitz define defense?
3. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
4. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
5. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
6. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
7. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
8. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
9. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
10. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Clausewitz is right when he says that wars between civilized nations are less cruel and destructive than between "savages"? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz says that "Normally [...] that loss of [the enemy's] territory weakens the fighting forces [of the enemy]," Do you think that statement is true? Give historical examples and Clausewitz' "On War" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about the importance of the popularity of the campaign in war. How does popularity affect the war? Make sure to give at least 3 examples; one for the political aspect, one for the tactical aspect and one for the strategic aspect and use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)