|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
2. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
3. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
4. What type of situation are high level leaders expected to oversee according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say about holding new territories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think Clausewitz is writing the book for? Is it a purely military manual or are the books also meant to be read by civilian leaders that he says must understand military matters? Use the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz is a proponent of the idea that defense is superior to offense. How do you think Clausewitz came to that conclusion? Include a historical context and the text to support your statements.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)