|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship does Clausewitz emphasize in Book 6, Chapter 2?
2. What is, in a large part, intuitive according to Clausewitz?
3. What should follow the attack on a well maintained defensive position according to Clausewitz?
4. What is more important than acquiring territory according to Clausewitz?
5. What topic appears in the last few chapters of On War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
2. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
3. How does Clausewitz define defense?
4. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
5. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
6. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
7. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
8. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
9. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
10. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Clausewitz see the foot soldier of the Prussian army? Use the social landscape of the 19th century to explain Clausewitz' views.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)