|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of situation are high level leaders expected to oversee according to Clausewitz?
2. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
4. According to Clausewitz, what is decision outside the realm of strategy?
5. According to Clausewitz, what support is less important than government and soldier support during actual military operations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
3. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
4. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
5. How does Clausewitz define defense?
6. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
7. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
8. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
9. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
10. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Clausewitz say about officers in "On War"? Explain the contradiction of looking for the best officers, but only considering aristocrats for those positions and not from among the other 90% of the people. Use the text and secondary sources to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that each side compels its opponent to follow suit until the extreme of force is reached. Do you think that that concept is still valid today? Analyze the yearly number of war victims in the last century to build your argument.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)