|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
2. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
3. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
4. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
5. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
2. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
3. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
4. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
5. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
6. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
7. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
8. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
9. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
10. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that adapting ones army to a new tactic is necessary to stay on the edge. Discuss how tactics changed since Clausewitz' time and how his book influenced military strategy.
Essay Topic 2
Trinity is one of most important concepts of the book. Give the definition of trinity for Clausewitz, using the book as reference. Explain each element of Trinity and how they apply to war.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that the result of war is never final. Analyze the wars in Europe for the 30 years prior to the writing of the book and explain why Clausewitz thinks that war is never final. Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)