|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
2. Who does Clausewitz say attacked Prussia twice 20 years ago?
3. What are the defensive lines of thinking concerned about according to Clausewitz?
4. What do nations usually focus on according to Clausewitz?
5. What is, in a large part, intuitive according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
2. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
3. What is war according to Clausewitz?
4. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
6. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
7. How does Clausewitz define defense?
8. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
9. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
10. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Clausewitz say about officers in "On War"? Explain the contradiction of looking for the best officers, but only considering aristocrats for those positions and not from among the other 90% of the people. Use the text and secondary sources to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz is a proponent of the idea that defense is superior to offense. How do you think Clausewitz came to that conclusion? Include a historical context and the text to support your statements.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)