|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clausewitz say attacked Prussia twice 20 years ago?
2. What is, in a large part, intuitive according to Clausewitz?
3. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
4. What possibility does a good defensive position offer the general in charge according to Clausewitz?
5. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
2. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
3. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
5. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
6. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
7. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
8. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
9. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
10. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Clausewitz, once the expenditures of war go above that of the value and the objectives of the war, peace must follow. Why do you think a country could be compelled not to follow that rule? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
According to Clausewitz, a number of peace treaties were concluded without one of the fighters being "called powerless." What would compel a country whose forces can still fight effectively to ask for peace? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz often talks of Bonaparte and Frederick as examples of great generals. Compare Frederick and Bonaparte and draw your own conclusion on whether or not they can be considered great generals based on their actions.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)