|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
2. What part of the population does Clausewitz say have self sacrifice implanted in their psyche?
3. What relationship does Clausewitz emphasize in Book 6, Chapter 2?
4. What type of engagement does Clausewitz say has a superior value?
5. What army did Clausewitz join to continue fighting his favorite enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
3. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
4. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
5. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
6. How does Clausewitz define defense?
7. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
8. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
9. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
10. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz is a proponent of the idea that defense is superior to offense. How do you think Clausewitz came to that conclusion? Include a historical context and the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about the importance of the popularity of the campaign in war. How does popularity affect the war? Make sure to give at least 3 examples; one for the political aspect, one for the tactical aspect and one for the strategic aspect and use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)