|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most prominent form of defensive tactics according to Clausewitz?
2. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
3. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
4. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
5. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
2. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
3. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
4. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
5. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
6. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
7. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
8. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
9. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
10. What is war according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Clausewitz say about officers in "On War"? Explain the contradiction of looking for the best officers, but only considering aristocrats for those positions and not from among the other 90% of the people. Use the text and secondary sources to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that adapting ones army to a new tactic is necessary to stay on the edge. Discuss how tactics changed since Clausewitz' time and how his book influenced military strategy.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)