|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is, in a large part, intuitive according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
3. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
4. What type of engagement does Clausewitz say has a superior value?
5. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
3. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
4. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
5. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
6. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
7. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
8. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
9. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
10. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Clausewitz, a number of peace treaties were concluded without one of the fighters being "called powerless." What would compel a country whose forces can still fight effectively to ask for peace? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Trinity is one of most important concepts of the book. Give the definition of trinity for Clausewitz, using the book as reference. Explain each element of Trinity and how they apply to war.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)