|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
2. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
3. What building does Clausewitz says is highly desirable for an army to have during the first half of the 19th century?
4. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
5. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
2. How does Clausewitz define defense?
3. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
4. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
6. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
7. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
8. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
9. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
10. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)