|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
2. What possibility does a good defensive position offer the general in charge according to Clausewitz?
3. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
4. What does Clausewitz call the "Spirit"?
5. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
2. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
3. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
4. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
5. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
6. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
7. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
8. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
9. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
10. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think Clausewitz is writing the book for? Is it a purely military manual or are the books also meant to be read by civilian leaders that he says must understand military matters? Use the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
According to Clausewitz, once the expenditures of war go above that of the value and the objectives of the war, peace must follow. Why do you think a country could be compelled not to follow that rule? Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)