|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What general rule does Clausewitz give concerning defense and attack?
2. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
3. What general feeling should a good general give according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz characterize harboring reserve troops when they should be used to their fullest?
5. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
2. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
3. What is war according to Clausewitz?
4. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
5. How does Clausewitz define defense?
6. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
7. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
8. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
9. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
10. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz is a proponent of the idea that defense is superior to offense. How do you think Clausewitz came to that conclusion? Include a historical context and the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)