|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What army did Clausewitz join to continue fighting his favorite enemy?
2. What type of engagement does Clausewitz say has a superior value?
3. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
4. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
5. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
3. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
4. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
5. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
6. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
7. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
8. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
9. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
10. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz says that all assumptions and information are open to doubt. Find and Explain Clausewitz' reasons for saying so. Do you think social elements clouded his judgment? Use the book and historical information to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Clausewitz is right when he says that wars between civilized nations are less cruel and destructive than between "savages"? Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)