|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
2. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
3. What does Clausewitz think of the way wars are usually fought?
4. Why is the offensive party's line of thinking only concerned with the attack according to Clausewitz?
5. What do nations usually focus on according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
2. How does Clausewitz define defense?
3. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
4. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
6. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
7. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
8. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
9. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
10. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Clausewitz is right when he says that wars between civilized nations are less cruel and destructive than between "savages"? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about long forgotten gentlemen rules that forbid one side from attacking the other's camp. What rules were present in the 19th century battlefield? Why were those rules created? Use the book to support your statements.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)