|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What army did Clausewitz join to continue fighting his favorite enemy?
2. What does Clausewitz say will determine the character of the war?
3. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
4. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
5. What can attack and defense be transformed into according to Clausewitz?
Essay Topic 1
What does Clausewitz say about officers in "On War"? Explain the contradiction of looking for the best officers, but only considering aristocrats for those positions and not from among the other 90% of the people. Use the text and secondary sources to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that adapting ones army to a new tactic is necessary to stay on the edge. Discuss how tactics changed since Clausewitz' time and how his book influenced military strategy.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)