|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
2. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
3. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
4. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
5. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that each side compels its opponent to follow suit until the extreme of force is reached. Do you think that that concept is still valid today? Analyze the yearly number of war victims in the last century to build your argument.
Essay Topic 2
According to Clausewitz, a number of peace treaties were concluded without one of the fighters being "called powerless." What would compel a country whose forces can still fight effectively to ask for peace? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about the importance of the popularity of the campaign in war. How does popularity affect the war? Make sure to give at least 3 examples; one for the political aspect, one for the tactical aspect and one for the strategic aspect and use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)