|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
3. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
5. What general feeling should a good general give according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
2. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
3. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
4. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
5. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
6. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
7. How does Clausewitz define defense?
8. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
9. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
10. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz is a proponent of the idea that defense is superior to offense. How do you think Clausewitz came to that conclusion? Include a historical context and the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)