|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is necessary to make theoretical sense of actual events according to Clausewitz?
2. What controls the strategist according to Clausewitz?
3. What is the populace trained to do according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
5. What qualities does Clausewitz describe as imperative for a commander?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
2. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
4. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
5. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
6. How does Clausewitz define defense?
7. What does Clausewitz say about geniuses and rules?
8. What are novices of war surprised to discover concerning tactics and strategy?
9. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
10. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
Essay Topic 1
Trinity is one of most important concepts of the book. Give the definition of trinity for Clausewitz, using the book as reference. Explain each element of Trinity and how they apply to war.
Essay Topic 2
According to Clausewitz, a number of peace treaties were concluded without one of the fighters being "called powerless." What would compel a country whose forces can still fight effectively to ask for peace? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that each side compels its opponent to follow suit until the extreme of force is reached. Do you think that that concept is still valid today? Analyze the yearly number of war victims in the last century to build your argument.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)