|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
2. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
3. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
4. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
2. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz thinks of the relative strength of attack and defense?
4. What does Clausewitz says about great commanders?
5. When do the hostilities end according to Clausewitz?
6. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
7. Why does Clausewitz think that the result of war is never final?
8. How does Clausewitz calculate the power of resistance of the enemy?
9. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
10. What is the difference between strategy and tactics according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trinity is one of most important concepts of the book. Give the definition of trinity for Clausewitz, using the book as reference. Explain each element of Trinity and how they apply to war.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Clausewitz is right when he says that wars between civilized nations are less cruel and destructive than between "savages"? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about long forgotten gentlemen rules that forbid one side from attacking the other's camp. What rules were present in the 19th century battlefield? Why were those rules created? Use the book to support your statements.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)