|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
2. What was the "art of war" about according to Clausewitz?
3. What faulty concept did theorists try to condense previous theories in according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz warn the reader not to do in regards to the description of strategic maneuvers?
5. Why does Clausewitz think great leaders were always right?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what needs to be subdued to win a war?
2. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
3. What is the difference between strategy and tactics according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz think of the influence of army numbers in war?
5. What is important to the soldiers of an army according to Clausewitz?
6. What does Clausewitz thinks of the relative strength of attack and defense?
7. What didn't the invention of gun powder, advances in fire arms and the advance of civilization alter, according to Clausewitz?
8. What objectives will incidentally bring the enemy's collapse according to Clausewitz?
9. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
10. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think Clausewitz is writing the book for? Is it a purely military manual or are the books also meant to be read by civilian leaders that he says must understand military matters? Use the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
According to Clausewitz, once the expenditures of war go above that of the value and the objectives of the war, peace must follow. Why do you think a country could be compelled not to follow that rule? Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)