|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. What portion of the war plans do lower ranking figures usually implement according to Clausewitz?
3. What is the foremost prominent factor in war according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz say is the one consideration that can postpone war between two parties that are ready for it?
5. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What didn't the invention of gun powder, advances in fire arms and the advance of civilization alter, according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz thinks of the relative strength of attack and defense?
3. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz think can bolster morale and cohesion in an army?
5. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
6. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
7. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
8. According to Clausewitz, what needs to be subdued to win a war?
9. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
10. What are novices of war surprised to discover concerning tactics and strategy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that adapting ones army to a new tactic is necessary to stay on the edge. Discuss how tactics changed since Clausewitz' time and how his book influenced military strategy.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz often talks of Bonaparte and Frederick as examples of great generals. Compare Frederick and Bonaparte and draw your own conclusion on whether or not they can be considered great generals based on their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that "Normally [...] that loss of [the enemy's] territory weakens the fighting forces [of the enemy]," Do you think that statement is true? Give historical examples and Clausewitz' "On War" to support your answer.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)