|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Clausewitz say it would take a man to compile a proper survey of history?
2. What does Clausewitz say armies were like after the advent of tactics?
3. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
4. According to Clausewitz, what matters when a general makes adjustments to the war plan?
5. What does Clausewitz says of the people that can deal with friction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is just as important as physical fitness?
2. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz says about great commanders?
4. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
5. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
6. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
7. What does Clausewitz think of the time spent on the acquisition of knowledge?
8. What does Clausewitz thinks of the relative strength of attack and defense?
9. When do the hostilities end according to Clausewitz?
10. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that each side compels its opponent to follow suit until the extreme of force is reached. Do you think that that concept is still valid today? Analyze the yearly number of war victims in the last century to build your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about long forgotten gentlemen rules that forbid one side from attacking the other's camp. What rules were present in the 19th century battlefield? Why were those rules created? Use the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that all assumptions and information are open to doubt. Find and Explain Clausewitz' reasons for saying so. Do you think social elements clouded his judgment? Use the book and historical information to support your statements.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)