|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the populace trained to do according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say clouds the reality of one's position within a situation?
3. What does Clausewitz say armies were like after the advent of tactics?
4. What does Clausewitz think of the rule first declared to be the one and only?
5. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
2. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
3. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
4. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
5. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
6. What are novices of war surprised to discover concerning tactics and strategy?
7. What does Clausewitz say about war strategy education?
8. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
9. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
10. What objectives will incidentally bring the enemy's collapse according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that all assumptions and information are open to doubt. Find and Explain Clausewitz' reasons for saying so. Do you think social elements clouded his judgment? Use the book and historical information to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz is a proponent of the idea that defense is superior to offense. How do you think Clausewitz came to that conclusion? Include a historical context and the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about how an army can be on the moral side; meaning one army has the just cause. Analyze the governments of Europe and what they were standing for. Do you think European countries of that time could have the moral high ground against another country? Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)