|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clausewitz think great leaders were always right?
2. What are high ranking officers usually not, according to Clausewitz?
3. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
4. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
5. What brings value to a strategy according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
2. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
3. What does Clausewitz think of the influence of army numbers in war?
4. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
5. According to Clausewitz, what needs to be subdued to win a war?
6. What is important to the soldiers of an army according to Clausewitz?
7. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
8. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
9. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
10. What virtue does Clausewitz think are most imperative to a commander?
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz says that "Normally [...] that loss of [the enemy's] territory weakens the fighting forces [of the enemy]," Do you think that statement is true? Give historical examples and Clausewitz' "On War" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz says that adapting ones army to a new tactic is necessary to stay on the edge. Discuss how tactics changed since Clausewitz' time and how his book influenced military strategy.
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)