|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say was setup as a final arbiter of war in the former theory of the "art of war"?
3. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
2. Why does Clausewitz think it is impossible for every soldier to have a degree of military genius?
3. What didn't the invention of gun powder, advances in fire arms and the advance of civilization alter, according to Clausewitz?
4. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
5. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
6. What virtue does Clausewitz think are most imperative to a commander?
7. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
8. What does Clausewitz think of physical and moral components of an army?
9. According to Clausewitz, what needs to be subdued to win a war?
10. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that the result of war is never final. Analyze the wars in Europe for the 30 years prior to the writing of the book and explain why Clausewitz thinks that war is never final. Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
According to Clausewitz, a number of peace treaties were concluded without one of the fighters being "called powerless." What would compel a country whose forces can still fight effectively to ask for peace? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz talks about the "military spirit." Define military spirit and explain how a man can develop it. Make sure to include the role of the society, parental circle and country in your answer.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)