|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should strategic plans be made according to Clausewitz?
2. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
3. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
4. What must the strategist do during war according to Clausewitz?
5. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about war strategy education?
2. What does Clausewitz thinks of the relative strength of attack and defense?
3. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
4. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
5. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
6. What is just as important as physical fitness?
7. How does Clausewitz calculate the power of resistance of the enemy?
8. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
9. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
10. What didn't the invention of gun powder, advances in fire arms and the advance of civilization alter, according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Clausewitz, once the expenditures of war go above that of the value and the objectives of the war, peace must follow. Why do you think a country could be compelled not to follow that rule? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How does Clausewitz see the foot soldier of the Prussian army? Use the social landscape of the 19th century to explain Clausewitz' views.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz often talks of Bonaparte and Frederick as examples of great generals. Compare Frederick and Bonaparte and draw your own conclusion on whether or not they can be considered great generals based on their actions.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)