|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz tell the reader is better than reading and learning about war strategy from books?
2. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
3. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
4. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
5. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about geniuses and rules?
2. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
3. What does Clausewitz say of the analysis of several battles at the same time?
4. When do the hostilities end according to Clausewitz?
5. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
6. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
7. What didn't the invention of gun powder, advances in fire arms and the advance of civilization alter, according to Clausewitz?
8. What is just as important as physical fitness?
9. What does Clausewitz think can bolster morale and cohesion in an army?
10. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that the result of war is never final. Analyze the wars in Europe for the 30 years prior to the writing of the book and explain why Clausewitz thinks that war is never final. Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz often talks of Bonaparte and Frederick as examples of great generals. Compare Frederick and Bonaparte and draw your own conclusion on whether or not they can be considered great generals based on their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)