|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
2. What clouds a soldier's objectivity concerning war according to Clausewitz?
3. What cannot be underestimated according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
4. What does Clausewitz think of the rule first declared to be the one and only?
5. According to Clausewitz, what matters when a general makes adjustments to the war plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clausewitz think that the result of war is never final?
2. What does Clausewitz says about great commanders?
3. What does Clausewitz say about war strategy education?
4. What are novices of war surprised to discover concerning tactics and strategy?
5. What does Clausewitz say of the analysis of several battles at the same time?
6. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
7. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
8. When do the hostilities end according to Clausewitz?
9. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
10. What is the difference between strategy and tactics according to Clausewitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Clausewitz see the foot soldier of the Prussian army? Use the social landscape of the 19th century to explain Clausewitz' views.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz' work is divided in 8 Books. Why do you think Clausewitz chose to divide it in such a way? Do you think that division helps or detracts from the goal of the book?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)