|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was not considered a suitable subject for theory in the former "art of war" according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
3. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
4. What are Clausewitz views on fear in Book 2, Chapter 3?
5. What is the foremost prominent factor in war according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
2. What is the difference between strategy and tactics according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
4. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
5. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
6. What does Clausewitz say of the analysis of several battles at the same time?
7. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
8. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
9. Why does Clausewitz think that the result of war is never final?
10. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clausewitz says that each side compels its opponent to follow suit until the extreme of force is reached. Do you think that that concept is still valid today? Analyze the yearly number of war victims in the last century to build your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Clausewitz talks about long forgotten gentlemen rules that forbid one side from attacking the other's camp. What rules were present in the 19th century battlefield? Why were those rules created? Use the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clausewitz qualifies the power of resistance as the product of the total means at his disposal and the strength of his will. Which one is the most important in current asymmetrical war such as Afghanistan and Iraq?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)