|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
2. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz think of genius and established rules?
4. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
5. What do allies do concerning weaknesses according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz think of physical and moral components of an army?
3. Why does Clausewitz think that the result of war is never final?
4. What does Clausewitz think of the time spent on the acquisition of knowledge?
5. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
6. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
7. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
8. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
9. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
10. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
Essay Topic 1
How does Clausewitz see the foot soldier of the Prussian army? Use the social landscape of the 19th century to explain Clausewitz' views.
Essay Topic 2
According to Clausewitz, once the expenditures of war go above that of the value and the objectives of the war, peace must follow. Why do you think a country could be compelled not to follow that rule? Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
What does Clausewitz say about officers in "On War"? Explain the contradiction of looking for the best officers, but only considering aristocrats for those positions and not from among the other 90% of the people. Use the text and secondary sources to support your statements.
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)