|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
(a) Self preservation.
(b) To provide a base for future attacks.
(c) For weak armies.
(d) For poorly equipped countries.
2. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
(a) If other allies need their help.
(b) If the enemy bribes them.
(c) If the enemy invades.
(d) If the needs of the ally country is too great for them to fulfill.
3. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(b) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
(c) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
(d) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
4. What does Clausewitz call the "Spirit"?
(a) The courage of the foot soldiers only.
(b) The perspective of victory.
(c) The energy of the soldiers en masse.
(d) The aura of the commanding officer.
5. Who does Clausewitz say attacked Prussia twice 20 years ago?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
2. What should follow the attack on a well maintained defensive position according to Clausewitz?
3. What is pivotal to successful offensive aims according to Clausewitz?
4. What does the new political landscape contemporary to Clausewitz create for countries according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
2. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
3. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
4. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
5. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
6. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
7. How does Clausewitz define defense?
8. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
9. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
10. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)