|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can one do with a small force according to Clausewitz?
(a) Attack a small objective.
(b) Integrate it to a larger force.
(c) Use it as a scout.
2. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
3. What effect can physical violence have on troops if they don't understand why violence should be used according to Clausewitz?
(d) Drop in morale.
4. How does Clausewitz call the advantage a defense army has over an offensive army?
(a) The defense has no advantage.
(c) Home court.
(d) Too great to overcome.
5. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Killing the enemy and coming back alive.
(b) Order and agression.
(c) Fighting injustice.
(d) Restraint and discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
2. What does the old political landscape permit according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say reserves can be used for?
4. What topic appears in the last few chapters of On War?
5. According to Clausewitz, what does the power of the attack and the defense do over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
2. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
3. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
4. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
5. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
6. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
7. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
8. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
9. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
10. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)