|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say would be the message sent by an army taking a castle, burning the fields, dispersing the livestock and then retreating?
(a) The people around the castle were too weak.
(b) One army does not have a good military plans.
(c) One army is punishing the other.
(d) The cattle was host to disease.
2. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
(a) For poorly equipped countries.
(b) For weak armies.
(c) To provide a base for future attacks.
(d) Self preservation.
3. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
(a) They didn't have enough water.
(b) They were physically separated from each other.
(c) They had poor weapons.
(d) They didn't have a large army.
4. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
(a) By its war plans.
(b) By attending a political rally.
(c) By knowing the local politician.
(d) By capturing a commanding officer.
5. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
(a) When the enemy's general is incompetent.
(b) When the enemy is too slow to retreat.
(c) When the enemy goals are high enough to allow it.
(d) When the enemy has a small army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
2. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
3. What is the most prominent form of defensive tactics according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
5. What can attack and defense be transformed into according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
2. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
3. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
4. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
6. What is war according to Clausewitz?
7. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
8. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
9. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
10. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)