|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the French definition of an invasion according to Clausewitz?
(a) An attack targeting the capital.
(b) An attack targeting a specific location.
(c) An attack driving deep into enemy territory.
(d) An attack targeting the border lands.
2. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
(a) To preserve own's fighting force.
(b) To break the enemy's morale.
(c) To destroy the enemy.
(d) To hold the line whatever happens.
3. What topic appears in the last few chapters of On War?
(a) The use of limited aims in war.
(b) The use of large cavalry groups.
(c) The use of artillery techniques.
(d) Information gathering.
4. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
(a) In attack.
(b) In defense.
(c) In strategy.
(d) In tactic.
5. What are the defensive lines of thinking concerned about according to Clausewitz?
(b) Troop placement.
(d) Attack and counter attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
2. How does Clausewitz call the advantage a defense army has over an offensive army?
3. According to Clausewitz, what is decision outside the realm of strategy?
4. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
5. What building does Clausewitz says is highly desirable for an army to have during the first half of the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
2. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
3. What is war according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
5. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
6. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
7. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
8. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
9. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
10. How does Clausewitz define defense?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)