|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can one do with a small force according to Clausewitz?
(a) Attack a small objective.
(b) Use it as a scout.
(d) Integrate it to a larger force.
2. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Restraint and discipline.
(b) Order and agression.
(c) Killing the enemy and coming back alive.
(d) Fighting injustice.
3. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
(a) If the enemy invades.
(b) If other allies need their help.
(c) If the needs of the ally country is too great for them to fulfill.
(d) If the enemy bribes them.
4. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
(a) They didn't have a large army.
(b) They had poor weapons.
(c) They didn't have enough water.
(d) They were physically separated from each other.
5. According to Clausewitz, what support is less important than government and soldier support during actual military operations?
(a) Public support.
(b) Spousal support.
(c) Financial support.
(d) Media support.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say he is trying to do in Book 3, Chapter 2?
2. What does Clausewitz say will determine the character of the war?
3. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
4. According to Clausewitz, what does the power of the attack and the defense do over time?
5. What complements each method of defense according to Clausewitz in Book 5, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
2. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
3. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
4. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
5. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
6. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
7. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
8. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
9. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
10. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)