|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
(a) One army group at a time.
(c) In small groups.
(d) On different fronts.
2. What is suspension of action in war usually a sign of according to Clausewitz?
(a) Troop movement.
(d) Troop buildup.
3. What does Clausewitz think of the way wars are usually fought?
(a) They are waged by military geniuses.
(b) They are waged efficiently.
(c) They are fought to the last man.
(d) They are waged half-heartedly.
4. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
(a) Capturing its commanding officer.
(b) The capture of a depot.
(c) Destroying its camp.
(d) Cutting its supply lines.
5. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
(b) Good diplomacy.
(c) A large army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
2. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
3. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
4. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him about war and their similarities?
5. What possibility does a good defensive position offer the general in charge according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
2. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
3. What is war according to Clausewitz?
4. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
5. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
6. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
7. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
8. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
9. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
10. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)