|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
(a) Release them come winter.
(b) Burn everything down.
(c) Annex them.
(d) Hold on to them no matter what.
2. What topic appears in the last few chapters of On War?
(a) The use of large cavalry groups.
(b) The use of limited aims in war.
(c) Information gathering.
(d) The use of artillery techniques.
3. Why is the offensive party's line of thinking only concerned with the attack according to Clausewitz?
(a) Attack minded generals are not smart enough for multi-level thinking.
(b) Attack is usually an all in move.
(c) He can boast completeness.
(d) Attack is more simple.
4. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
(a) The turning point.
(b) Culmination of the attack.
(c) Height of the engagement.
(d) The end of the struggle.
5. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
(a) Large number of cavalry.
(b) A good General.
(c) One successful surprise attack.
(d) Accurate firearms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
2. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
3. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
4. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz call the area where military action occurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
3. What is the theatre of operation according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz define defense?
5. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
6. What does Clausewitz say about holding on to conquered terrain?
7. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
8. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
9. What is war according to Clausewitz?
10. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)