|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
(a) Training and exercising.
(b) Fighting battles.
(c) Cleaning weapons.
2. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
(d) River bound.
3. What does Clausewitz say about holding new territories?
(a) It is easy to do for a large army.
(b) They need to be adjacent to an attacker's normal theatre of operation.
(c) Martial law is a necessity.
(d) The country needs to appoint a governor as quickly as possible.
4. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
5. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) Military campaigns.
(b) Engagements groups.
(c) Small wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
2. What building does Clausewitz says is highly desirable for an army to have during the first half of the 19th century?
3. What do nations usually focus on according to Clausewitz?
4. What topic appears in the last few chapters of On War?
5. What effect can physical violence have on troops if they don't understand why violence should be used according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
2. What is war according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
4. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
5. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
6. How does Clausewitz define defense?
7. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
8. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
9. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
10. Why did the Jews, in the example given by Clausewitz to illustrate his vision on holding terrain, not form a strong country?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)