|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
(a) The capture of a depot.
(b) Cutting its supply lines.
(c) Destroying its camp.
(d) Capturing its commanding officer.
2. What does Clausewitz say reserves can be used for?
(a) To allow for the king to visit the troops.
(b) To protect the officers from retreating troops.
(c) To allow troops rest so they can be rotated in the front line.
(d) To push for the final decision and counter unforeseen attacks.
3. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
(a) They were physically separated from each other.
(b) They didn't have enough water.
(c) They had poor weapons.
(d) They didn't have a large army.
4. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
(a) Good neighbors.
(c) War mongers.
5. What does Clausewitz call the "Spirit"?
(a) The aura of the commanding officer.
(b) The energy of the soldiers en masse.
(c) The courage of the foot soldiers only.
(d) The perspective of victory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the offensive party's line of thinking only concerned with the attack according to Clausewitz?
2. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
3. What should follow the attack on a well maintained defensive position according to Clausewitz?
4. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
5. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
2. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
3. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
4. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
5. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
6. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
7. What is war according to Clausewitz?
8. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
9. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
10. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)