|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clausewitz characterize harboring reserve troops when they should be used to their fullest?
(a) The mark of a genius.
(b) Good judgement.
(c) Counter productive.
2. What does Clausewitz say would be the message sent by an army taking a castle, burning the fields, dispersing the livestock and then retreating?
(a) One army does not have a good military plans.
(b) The cattle was host to disease.
(c) The people around the castle were too weak.
(d) One army is punishing the other.
3. What does Clausewitz call the "Spirit"?
(a) The energy of the soldiers en masse.
(b) The perspective of victory.
(c) The aura of the commanding officer.
(d) The courage of the foot soldiers only.
4. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
(a) Wall building.
(b) Concrete pouring.
(c) Roof building.
(d) Tile laying.
5. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
(a) Release them come winter.
(b) Annex them.
(c) Burn everything down.
(d) Hold on to them no matter what.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pivotal to successful offensive aims according to Clausewitz?
2. What is Clausewitz disappointed about concerning imperial expansion?
3. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
4. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
5. What topic appears in the last few chapters of On War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
2. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
3. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
4. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
5. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
6. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
7. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
8. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
9. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
10. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)