|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say would be the message sent by an army taking a castle, burning the fields, dispersing the livestock and then retreating?
(a) The people around the castle were too weak.
(b) The cattle was host to disease.
(c) One army is punishing the other.
(d) One army does not have a good military plans.
2. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
(c) A large army.
(d) Good diplomacy.
3. What part of the population does Clausewitz say have self sacrifice implanted in their psyche?
(a) Mothers, clerics and soldiers.
(b) Merchants and politicians.
(c) Political leaders and clerics.
4. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
5. When does no side get attacked, but still spend resources toward the war effort according to Clausewitz?
(a) When all sides move their troops.
(b) When all sides attack an undefended province of the enemy.
(c) When all sides are fearful.
(d) When all sides are in defensive mode.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the offensive party's line of thinking only concerned with the attack according to Clausewitz?
2. What is the most prominent form of defensive tactics according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
4. What does Clausewitz say he is trying to do in Book 3, Chapter 2?
5. What complements each method of defense according to Clausewitz in Book 5, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what country did Clausewitz serve in the military?
2. What is the focus of every nation according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
4. What building does Clausewitz say is particularly important in military campaigns?
5. What is war according to Clausewitz?
6. Why should one always keep a reserve according to Clausewitz?
7. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
8. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
9. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
10. What does Clausewitz say is necessary for the destruction of the enemy?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)