|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most prominent form of defensive tactics according to Clausewitz?
(a) Heavy fortification.
(c) Light fortification.
2. What should follow the attack on a well maintained defensive position according to Clausewitz?
(a) Reinforcing the defensive position.
(b) A counter attack.
3. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
(b) Training and exercising.
(c) Cleaning weapons.
(d) Fighting battles.
4. What building does Clausewitz says is highly desirable for an army to have during the first half of the 19th century?
(c) Large hotel.
5. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Restraint and discipline.
(b) Fighting injustice.
(c) Killing the enemy and coming back alive.
(d) Order and agression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say the best soldiers, national leaders and generals have in common?
2. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
3. When does no side get attacked, but still spend resources toward the war effort according to Clausewitz?
4. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
5. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
2. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
3. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
4. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
5. What does Clausewitz says tempers his own view on the superiority of defense?
6. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
7. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him concerning the use of tactics by high ranking officers?
8. What does Clausewitz' personal experiences teach him concerning war?
9. What is war according to Clausewitz?
10. What does Clausewitz say of an army using the purely defensive mode?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)