|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz call the area where military action occurs?
(a) The theatre of operations.
(b) The battlefield.
(c) The field of battle.
(d) The operating area.
2. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
(a) To preserve own's fighting force.
(b) To hold the line whatever happens.
(c) To break the enemy's morale.
(d) To destroy the enemy.
3. What can attack and defense be transformed into according to Clausewitz?
(a) Into an all in situation.
(b) Into pure attack.
(c) Into chaos.
(d) Their opposites.
4. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
(b) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
(c) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(d) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
5. What is more important than acquiring territory according to Clausewitz?
(a) Retention of territory.
(b) Aquiring resources.
(c) Aquiring new technology.
(d) Spend as little money on war as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
2. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
3. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
4. According to Clausewitz, what does the power of the attack and the defense do over time?
5. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz claim is not sought during military campaign?
2. What use of a small force does Clausewitz talk about in the book 8?
3. Why does Clausewitz say that there is a special relationship between attack and defense?
4. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
5. According to Clausewitz, what is the majority of time spent on during war?
6. What does Clausewitz say about position and waiting?
7. What is war according to Clausewitz?
8. What does Clausewitz think of the concentration of forces?
9. Who does Clausewitz argue are more prone to self-sacrifice?
10. What does Clausewitz say about the priorities in war?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)