|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(b) Science of war.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Knowledge of war.
2. Why does Clausewitz think great leaders were always right?
(a) Because of their faith.
(b) Because they read a draft of the book.
(c) Because of their innate greatness and genius.
(d) Because of their academic training.
3. What controls the strategist according to Clausewitz?
(a) The rules of engagement.
(b) The generals.
(c) The civilian powers.
(d) Duty to the troops and to the objectives.
4. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
(a) Counter insurgency.
(d) Major Operations.
5. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They go beyond established rules.
(b) They follow established rules.
(c) They go ahead without planning.
(d) They wait for the enemy to make the first move.
Short Answer Questions
1. What faulty concept did theorists try to condense previous theories in according to Clausewitz?
2. What portion of the war plans do lower ranking figures usually implement according to Clausewitz?
3. What clouds a soldier's objectivity concerning war according to Clausewitz?
4. What brings value to a strategy according to Clausewitz?
5. What was the "art of war" about according to Clausewitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say war often comes down to?
3. What does Clausewitz say about war strategy education?
4. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
5. According to Clausewitz, what needs to be subdued to win a war?
6. What does Clausewitz say of the attack strength?
7. What virtue does Clausewitz think are most imperative to a commander?
8. What is the difference between strategy and tactics according to Clausewitz?
9. What is important to the soldiers of an army according to Clausewitz?
10. What are the three separate activities necessary for warfare according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)