|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is reading supposed to provide the military reader according to Clausewitz?
(a) A good idea of what to expect on the battlefield.
(b) A blueprint for war.
(c) Preparatory guidance.
(d) Time to reflect on their lives.
2. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because it is easier to read.
(b) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
(c) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
(d) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
3. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) The first requirement.
(b) The second requirement.
(c) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
(d) Something that makes no difference.
4. What does Clausewitz say armies were like after the advent of tactics?
(a) Barely effective.
(b) Sending one wave after the other.
(d) Effective fighting forces.
5. What are the top commanders more prone to suffer from according to Clausewitz?
Short Answer Questions
1. What tends to exacerbate falsehood according to Clausewitz?
2. According to Clausewitz, what cannot be ignored in war?
3. What brings value to a strategy according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
5. What does Clausewitz say is the one consideration that can postpone war between two parties that are ready for it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clausewitz think that the result of war is never final?
2. What virtue does Clausewitz think are most imperative to a commander?
3. What does Clausewitz say about geniuses and rules?
4. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
5. What does Clausewitz says about great commanders?
6. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
7. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
8. What is friction according to Clausewitz?
9. What does Clausewitz think of physical and moral components of an army?
10. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)