|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because it is easier to read.
(b) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
(c) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
(d) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
2. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
(a) Hostile feelings alone.
(b) Hostile feelings and need to play.
(c) Hostile intentions alone.
(d) Hostile feelings and hostile intentions.
3. What affects war strategy evolution according to Clausewitz?
(a) Food rationing.
(b) Generals and commanders.
(c) Terrain and weather.
(d) Technology and culture.
4. What does Clausewitz say is the one consideration that can postpone war between two parties that are ready for it?
(a) A desire to wait for a better moment before acting.
(b) The weather.
(c) Creating their army.
(d) Leaving time for diplomacy.
5. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
(a) It is a sign of genius.
(b) It is a fault of character.
(c) It is necessary.
(d) It always brings victory.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
2. What tenet does Clausewitz admit previous war theorists got right?
3. What does Clausewitz say about people and their methods of drawing conclusions?
4. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
5. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
2. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
3. What objectives will incidentally bring the enemy's collapse according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz think can bolster morale and cohesion in an army?
5. What is friction according to Clausewitz?
6. What is important to the soldiers of an army according to Clausewitz?
7. What is just as important as physical fitness?
8. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
9. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
10. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)