|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was not considered a suitable subject for theory in the former "art of war" according to Clausewitz?
(c) The conduct of war.
(d) Army building.
2. Why do the first war theorists only consider what could be mathematically calculated when they created the first war theory according to Clausewitz?
(a) They wanted the theory to be easily taught.
(b) They didn't care about war.
(c) They wanted to reach a set of sure and positive conclusion.
(d) They were mathematicians.
3. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations of political significance.
(b) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(c) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
4. Why don't civilized nations execute their prisoners according to Clausewitz?
(a) They do not want to waste bullets.
(b) Intelligence plays a higher part in warfare.
(c) It is against the Geneva Convention.
(d) They do not have time to take prisoners.
5. What is strategy according to Clausewitz in Book 3, Chapter 1?
(a) The supply line safety.
(b) The thinking prior to battle.
(c) The use of engagements.
(d) The setting up of the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
2. What does Clausewitz say armies were like after the advent of tactics?
3. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
4. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
5. According to Clausewitz, what matters when a general makes adjustments to the war plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
2. What does Clausewitz think of the time spent on the acquisition of knowledge?
3. What does Clausewitz say of the analysis of several battles at the same time?
4. What is strategy, according to Clausewitz?
5. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
6. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
7. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
8. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
9. What does Clausewitz think of the influence of army numbers in war?
10. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)