|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of soldiers does Clausewitz say tend to lose heart when they encounter combat?
(a) The inexperienced and followers.
(b) Poorly trained soldiers.
(c) Young officers.
(d) Married soldiers and the sick.
2. What adds to the challenges of the execution of a battle plan according to Clausewitz?
(a) The situation not appearing as it is.
(b) Bad terrain.
(c) Inexperienced soldiers.
(d) Bad commanders.
3. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Simple and strict.
(b) Complex and strict.
(c) Complex and changeable.
(d) Simple and changeable.
4. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
(a) Numerical superiority.
(b) Superiority of archery.
(c) Superiority of cavalry.
(d) Superiority of infantry.
5. What portion of the war plans do lower ranking figures usually implement according to Clausewitz?
(a) The small portion.
(b) The tactical portion.
(c) The easy portion.
(d) The unimportant portion.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Clausewitz, when should defeating the enemy not be the aim of a war?
2. What are Clausewitz views on fear in Book 2, Chapter 3?
3. What does Clausewitz say can alleviate fear in an army and improve performances?
4. What tenet does Clausewitz admit previous war theorists got right?
5. According to Clausewitz, what cannot be ignored in war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What objectives will incidentally bring the enemy's collapse according to Clausewitz?
2. How does Clausewitz calculate the power of resistance of the enemy?
3. What does Clausewitz think can bolster morale and cohesion in an army?
4. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
5. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
6. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
7. What virtue does Clausewitz think are most imperative to a commander?
8. What does Clausewitz say of the analysis of several battles at the same time?
9. What is friction according to Clausewitz?
10. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)