|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz suggest about the quality of the readings made by most people concerning military matters?
(a) It is good.
(b) It is pro Prussian.
(c) it is pro French.
(d) It is poor.
2. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
3. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
(a) Leave the country.
4. What led to the need for a theory on the "art of war," according to Clausewtiz?
(a) Reflections on the events of war.
(b) The need to sell more books.
(c) The need to train more efficient Generals.
(d) The creation of war colleges.
5. What does Clausewitz tell the reader about his view on formal education?
(a) That he doesn't care about formal education.
(b) That he despises teachers.
(c) Not to confuse them for lack of respect.
(d) That he wants to be a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
2. What do allies do concerning weaknesses according to Clausewitz?
3. What brings value to a strategy according to Clausewitz?
4. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
5. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are novices of war surprised to discover concerning tactics and strategy?
2. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
3. What objectives will incidentally bring the enemy's collapse according to Clausewitz?
4. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
5. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
6. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
7. Besides military defeat, what does Clausewitz think are grounds for peace in a war?
8. What does Clausewitz think can bolster morale and cohesion in an army?
9. What is friction according to Clausewitz?
10. What does Clausewitz think of military knowledge through books?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)