|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are high ranking officers usually not, according to Clausewitz?
(a) Good learners.
(c) Smart people.
(d) Scholarly personnel.
2. What does Clausewitz claim as a vital component of critical analysis?
(a) Be from an aristocratic family.
(b) Have a classical education.
(c) Investigation and evaluation of means used in warfare.
(d) Studying at 2 or more war colleges.
3. What cannot be underestimated according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The intellectual training.
(b) The physical effort.
(c) The need for good horses.
(d) The need for an army to walk.
4. What must the strategist do during war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Maintain control.
(b) Change strategies every few days.
(c) Use past strategies.
(d) Always use the same strategy.
5. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
(a) Its importance is increasing.
(b) Its importance is decreasing.
(c) It does not matter.
(d) It has the same importance for the general down to the enlisted men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
2. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
3. What are Clausewitz views on fear in Book 2, Chapter 3?
4. What is necessary to make theoretical sense of actual events according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say was setup as a final arbiter of war in the former theory of the "art of war"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz think of physical and moral components of an army?
3. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
4. According to Clausewitz, what needs to be subdued to win a war?
5. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
6. What motive to make war always exists according to Clausewitz?
7. Why does Clausewitz think it is impossible for every soldier to have a degree of military genius?
8. What is just as important as physical fitness?
9. What does Clausewitz say of the analysis of several battles at the same time?
10. What does Clausewitz says about great commanders?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)