|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the foremost prominent factor in war according to Clausewitz?
(a) The training of the soldiers.
(b) The war plan used.
(c) The skills of the commander.
(d) The size of the army.
2. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
(a) To eliminate the threat of the enemy.
(b) To force the enemy to rebuild his forces.
(c) To win the battle.
(d) To clear the way for an invasion.
3. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
(a) Cut the enemy's supply route.
(b) Destroy the enemy's army.
(c) Take the enemy's capital.
(d) Self defense.
4. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They go beyond established rules.
(b) They go ahead without planning.
(c) They follow established rules.
(d) They wait for the enemy to make the first move.
5. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Not applicable.
(d) Difficult to understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to the need for a theory on the "art of war," according to Clausewtiz?
2. What is necessary to make theoretical sense of actual events according to Clausewitz?
3. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
4. What tends to exacerbate falsehood according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz tell the reader about his view on formal education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz think can bolster morale and cohesion in an army?
2. What didn't the invention of gun powder, advances in fire arms and the advance of civilization alter, according to Clausewitz?
3. What type of men are best at dealing with friction according to Clausewitz and how are they found?
4. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
5. According to Clausewitz, what was initially considered the art of war by the first war theorists?
6. When do the hostilities end according to Clausewitz?
7. What is just as important as physical fitness?
8. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
9. Why does Clausewitz think it is impossible for every soldier to have a degree of military genius?
10. What is friction according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)