|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
(a) Bribes of his allies.
(b) Paying his soldiers and feeding his horses.
(c) Food and camp expenses.
(d) Wastage of his forces and loss of territory.
2. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
(a) The introduction to Book 8, "War-Plans."
(b) The counter part of Book 6, "On Defense."
(c) A conclusion.
(d) An independent book in the series.
3. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
(a) It does not matter.
(b) It has the same importance for the general down to the enlisted men.
(c) Its importance is increasing.
(d) Its importance is decreasing.
4. What is strategy according to Clausewitz in Book 3, Chapter 1?
(a) The setting up of the army.
(b) The use of engagements.
(c) The thinking prior to battle.
(d) The supply line safety.
5. Where should strategic plans be made according to Clausewitz?
(a) On the spot.
(b) At the highest level.
(c) At mid level.
(d) At low level.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
2. What does Clausewitz say armies were like after the advent of tactics?
3. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
4. What does Clausewitz say influences the answers provided by men about the war?
5. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about geniuses and rules?
2. Why does Clausewitz believe that the wars between civilized countries are less cruel and destructive than between savages?
3. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destruction of the enemy's forces"?
4. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
5. What virtue does Clausewitz think are most imperative to a commander?
6. What does Clausewitz think of the time spent on the acquisition of knowledge?
7. What must the strategist in charge of a war do according to Clausewitz?
8. Why does Clausewitz think that the result of war is never final?
9. What is just as important as physical fitness?
10. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)