|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
(a) Superiority of archery.
(b) Numerical superiority.
(c) Superiority of cavalry.
(d) Superiority of infantry.
2. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
(a) Paying his soldiers and feeding his horses.
(b) Bribes of his allies.
(c) Food and camp expenses.
(d) Wastage of his forces and loss of territory.
3. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
(b) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
(c) Because it is easier to read.
(d) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
4. What does Clausewitz say armies were like after the advent of tactics?
(a) Barely effective.
(b) Sending one wave after the other.
(d) Effective fighting forces.
5. What cannot be underestimated according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The physical effort.
(b) The intellectual training.
(c) The need for an army to walk.
(d) The need for good horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
2. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
3. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
4. Where should strategic plans be made according to Clausewitz?
5. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about geniuses and rules?
2. What does Clausewitz think of physical and moral components of an army?
3. What human weakness does Clausewitz associate with poor information handling?
4. What does Clausewitz thinks of the relative strength of attack and defense?
5. What does Clausewitz says about great commanders?
6. What are novices of war surprised to discover concerning tactics and strategy?
7. What do officers have to cultivate and why according to Clausewitz?
8. What objectives will incidentally bring the enemy's collapse according to Clausewitz?
9. What does Clausewitz think of the current theory on war?
10. What is important to the soldiers of an army according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)