|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
(a) Russia is entering the race for colonies.
(b) It is losing favor.
(c) It is becoming too expensive.
(d) It is doubling in intensity.
2. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
(a) In attack.
(b) In tactic.
(c) In strategy.
(d) In defense.
3. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
(a) For poorly equipped countries.
(b) For weak armies.
(c) To provide a base for future attacks.
(d) Self preservation.
4. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
(a) When the enemy has a small army.
(b) When the enemy is too slow to retreat.
(c) When the enemy goals are high enough to allow it.
(d) When the enemy's general is incompetent.
5. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
(a) Annex them.
(b) Burn everything down.
(c) Release them come winter.
(d) Hold on to them no matter what.
6. What does Clausewitz say he is trying to do in Book 3, Chapter 2?
(a) To stop writing and start teaching.
(b) To critique concepts by other authors.
(c) To demand a promotion for his work.
(d) To create a new concept from previously described basics.
7. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
(b) Engagements groups.
(c) Military campaigns.
(d) Small wars.
8. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
(a) To break the enemy's morale.
(b) To hold the line whatever happens.
(c) To preserve own's fighting force.
(d) To destroy the enemy.
9. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
(a) They were physically separated from each other.
(b) They had poor weapons.
(c) They didn't have enough water.
(d) They didn't have a large army.
10. According to Clausewitz, what does the power of the attack and the defense do over time?
(a) Balance themselves.
(d) Stays the same.
11. What should follow the attack on a well maintained defensive position according to Clausewitz?
(c) A counter attack.
(d) Reinforcing the defensive position.
12. What building does Clausewitz says is highly desirable for an army to have during the first half of the 19th century?
(a) Large hotel.
13. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
(a) Being large.
(b) Being unprotected.
(c) Being weak.
(d) Defeating enemies.
14. What does Clausewitz say about the use of the forces available in Book 3, Chapter 2?
(a) It must be concentrated.
(b) It must be used on a wide front.
(c) It must be mobile.
(d) It must be used in small group.
15. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
(a) Good neighbors.
(d) War mongers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of engagement does Clausewitz say has a superior value?
2. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
3. What do nations usually focus on according to Clausewitz?
4. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
5. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)