|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz suggest be done with territories not immediately adjacent to one's country?
(a) Burn everything down.
(b) Hold on to them no matter what.
(c) Release them come winter.
(d) Annex them.
2. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
(a) They were physically separated from each other.
(b) They didn't have enough water.
(c) They didn't have a large army.
(d) They had poor weapons.
3. What terrain does Clausewitz say might allow for a different type of use than the one he advocates?
(a) River bound.
4. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
(a) Capturing its commanding officer.
(b) The capture of a depot.
(c) Cutting its supply lines.
(d) Destroying its camp.
5. What does Clausewitz say will determine the character of the war?
(b) Military leaders.
(c) Political leaders.
(d) The small people.
6. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
(a) If the needs of the ally country is too great for them to fulfill.
(b) If the enemy bribes them.
(c) If other allies need their help.
(d) If the enemy invades.
7. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
(a) Wall building.
(b) Concrete pouring.
(c) Roof building.
(d) Tile laying.
8. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) Engagements groups.
(b) Military campaigns.
(c) Small wars.
9. What army did Clausewitz join to continue fighting his favorite enemy?
10. What are the defensive lines of thinking concerned about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Troop placement.
(d) Attack and counter attack.
11. What is more important than acquiring territory according to Clausewitz?
(a) Aquiring new technology.
(b) Retention of territory.
(c) Spend as little money on war as possible.
(d) Aquiring resources.
12. What is Clausewitz disappointed about concerning imperial expansion?
(a) That so many colonies are already taken.
(b) That travel does not go fast enough.
(c) That great generals cannot do their best for their country.
(d) That defense is too weak in the colonies.
13. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
(a) It is losing favor.
(b) It is becoming too expensive.
(c) Russia is entering the race for colonies.
(d) It is doubling in intensity.
14. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
(a) Cleaning weapons.
(b) Fighting battles.
(d) Training and exercising.
15. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
(a) Frederick the Great.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the offensive party's line of thinking only concerned with the attack according to Clausewitz?
2. What is the French definition of an invasion according to Clausewitz?
3. What complements each method of defense according to Clausewitz in Book 5, Chapter 1?
4. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
5. What does Clausewitz say about the use of the forces available in Book 3, Chapter 2?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)