|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do nations usually focus on according to Clausewitz?
(a) Land acquisition.
(b) Its own interests.
(c) Creation of a large army.
(d) Accumulation of riches.
2. What can attack and defense be transformed into according to Clausewitz?
(a) Their opposites.
(b) Into an all in situation.
(c) Into pure attack.
(d) Into chaos.
3. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
(a) Tile laying.
(b) Roof building.
(c) Concrete pouring.
(d) Wall building.
4. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
(a) The turning point.
(b) Culmination of the attack.
(c) Height of the engagement.
(d) The end of the struggle.
5. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
(a) To move the troops from one battlefield to the other.
(b) To set up defenses.
(c) To rest the troops.
(d) The strategy demands it.
6. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
(a) Large number of cavalry.
(b) One successful surprise attack.
(c) Accurate firearms.
(d) A good General.
7. What does Clausewitz' experience teach him about war and their similarities?
(a) They all start the same way.
(b) They are all different.
(c) They are identical.
(d) Military geniuses are always involved.
8. What is suspension of action in war usually a sign of according to Clausewitz?
(a) Troop buildup.
(d) Troop movement.
9. What is the French definition of an invasion according to Clausewitz?
(a) An attack targeting the border lands.
(b) An attack driving deep into enemy territory.
(c) An attack targeting a specific location.
(d) An attack targeting the capital.
10. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
(b) Good diplomacy.
(d) A large army.
11. What part of the population does Clausewitz say have self sacrifice implanted in their psyche?
(a) Mothers, clerics and soldiers.
(b) Political leaders and clerics.
(d) Merchants and politicians.
12. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
(a) One army group at a time.
(b) On different fronts.
(c) In small groups.
13. What type of engagement does Clausewitz say has a superior value?
(a) A quick engagement.
(b) One large engagement.
(c) An attrition battle.
(d) A combination of engagements.
14. What army did Clausewitz join to continue fighting his favorite enemy?
15. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
(a) It is losing favor.
(b) It is doubling in intensity.
(c) Russia is entering the race for colonies.
(d) It is becoming too expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
2. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
3. What relationship does Clausewitz emphasize in Book 6, Chapter 2?
4. What can one do with a small force according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)