|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
(b) War mongers.
(c) Good neighbors.
2. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
(a) Destroying its camp.
(b) Capturing its commanding officer.
(c) Cutting its supply lines.
(d) The capture of a depot.
3. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
(a) Using them in a flank attack.
(b) Using them properly.
(c) Sending them home.
(d) Misusing them.
4. According to Clausewitz, what does the power of the attack and the defense do over time?
(a) Balance themselves.
(b) Stays the same.
5. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
(a) Being large.
(b) Being unprotected.
(c) Being weak.
(d) Defeating enemies.
6. What building does Clausewitz says is highly desirable for an army to have during the first half of the 19th century?
(b) Large hotel.
7. When does no side get attacked, but still spend resources toward the war effort according to Clausewitz?
(a) When all sides attack an undefended province of the enemy.
(b) When all sides are fearful.
(c) When all sides move their troops.
(d) When all sides are in defensive mode.
8. What should follow the attack on a well maintained defensive position according to Clausewitz?
(a) A counter attack.
(c) Reinforcing the defensive position.
9. Who does Clausewitz say attacked Prussia twice 20 years ago?
10. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
(a) Separation in resources and delays in getting reinforcements.
(b) Loss of soldiers.
(c) Hatred from the enemy's population
(d) Loss of morale.
11. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
(a) In attack.
(b) In defense.
(c) In strategy.
(d) In tactic.
12. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
(a) It is doubling in intensity.
(b) It is becoming too expensive.
(c) Russia is entering the race for colonies.
(d) It is losing favor.
13. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
(a) To hold the line whatever happens.
(b) To break the enemy's morale.
(c) To preserve own's fighting force.
(d) To destroy the enemy.
14. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
(b) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(c) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
(d) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
15. What is Clausewitz disappointed about concerning imperial expansion?
(a) That so many colonies are already taken.
(b) That defense is too weak in the colonies.
(c) That travel does not go fast enough.
(d) That great generals cannot do their best for their country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say he is trying to do in Book 3, Chapter 2?
2. According to Clausewitz, what support is less important than government and soldier support during actual military operations?
3. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
4. According to Clausewitz, what is decision outside the realm of strategy?
5. What is the French definition of an invasion according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)