Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
(a) Using them properly.
(b) Sending them home.
(c) Using them in a flank attack.
(d) Misusing them.
2. What is required to achieve the destruction of the enemy according to Clausewitz in Book 6, Chapter 1?
(b) A large army.
(d) Good diplomacy.
3. What is the most prominent form of defensive tactics according to Clausewitz?
(a) Light fortification.
(c) Heavy fortification.
4. What does Clausewitz say he is trying to do in Book 3, Chapter 2?
(a) To stop writing and start teaching.
(b) To critique concepts by other authors.
(c) To demand a promotion for his work.
(d) To create a new concept from previously described basics.
5. What does Clausewitz compare countries who send soldiers to help allies to?
(a) Good neighbors.
(c) War mongers.
6. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
(a) It is becoming too expensive.
(b) It is losing favor.
(c) It is doubling in intensity.
(d) Russia is entering the race for colonies.
7. What does Clausewitz say will determine the character of the war?
(b) Military leaders.
(c) Political leaders.
(d) The small people.
8. What does the new political landscape contemporary to Clausewitz create for countries according to Clausewitz?
(a) Lower sensitivity.
(b) Heightened sensitivity.
(c) Low sense of responsibility.
(d) High fear.
9. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
(a) Culmination of the attack.
(b) Height of the engagement.
(c) The end of the struggle.
(d) The turning point.
10. What does Clausewitz say about the use of the forces available in Book 3, Chapter 2?
(a) It must be used on a wide front.
(b) It must be concentrated.
(c) It must be used in small group.
(d) It must be mobile.
11. How can one determine the policies of a specific country at war according to Clausewitz?
(a) By its war plans.
(b) By attending a political rally.
(c) By knowing the local politician.
(d) By capturing a commanding officer.
12. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
(a) In defense.
(b) In strategy.
(c) In attack.
(d) In tactic.
13. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
(a) To rest the troops.
(b) To set up defenses.
(c) To move the troops from one battlefield to the other.
(d) The strategy demands it.
14. What type of engagement does Clausewitz say has a superior value?
(a) A combination of engagements.
(b) A quick engagement.
(c) An attrition battle.
(d) One large engagement.
15. How does Clausewitz call the advantage a defense army has over an offensive army?
(a) The defense has no advantage.
(c) Home court.
(d) Too great to overcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect can physical violence have on troops if they don't understand why violence should be used according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say reserves can be used for?
3. What does Clausewitz call part of a full scope war that sees several tactical engagements in Book 5, Chapter 2?
4. According to Clausewitz, what support is less important than government and soldier support during actual military operations?
5. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)