|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clausewitz call the advantage a defense army has over an offensive army?
(a) The defense has no advantage.
(b) Home court.
(d) Too great to overcome.
2. What type of situation are high level leaders expected to oversee according to Clausewitz?
(a) Political and military alike.
(c) Very specific.
3. According to Clausewitz, why were the Jewish tribes weak as a nation?
(a) They were physically separated from each other.
(b) They had poor weapons.
(c) They didn't have a large army.
(d) They didn't have enough water.
4. What does Clausewitz say is happening to Imperial expansion?
(a) It is doubling in intensity.
(b) It is losing favor.
(c) It is becoming too expensive.
(d) Russia is entering the race for colonies.
5. What general rule does Clausewitz give concerning defense and attack?
(a) General should adapt to the situation.
(b) Generals ususally prefer attacks.
(c) Attack is superior.
(d) A particular general will be good at one or the other.
6. What general feeling should a good general give according to Clausewitz?
(d) Self confidence.
7. Who is Clausewitz' favorite enemy General?
(c) Frederick the Great.
8. What does Clausewitz call the "Spirit"?
(a) The courage of the foot soldiers only.
(b) The aura of the commanding officer.
(c) The perspective of victory.
(d) The energy of the soldiers en masse.
9. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
(a) Concrete pouring.
(b) Tile laying.
(c) Roof building.
(d) Wall building.
10. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
(a) To break the enemy's morale.
(b) To destroy the enemy.
(c) To hold the line whatever happens.
(d) To preserve own's fighting force.
11. Why would an ally stop its help according to Clausewitz?
(a) If the enemy invades.
(b) If other allies need their help.
(c) If the needs of the ally country is too great for them to fulfill.
(d) If the enemy bribes them.
12. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
13. How does Clausewitz characterize harboring reserve troops when they should be used to their fullest?
(a) Counter productive.
(b) Good judgement.
(c) The mark of a genius.
14. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Fighting injustice.
(b) Killing the enemy and coming back alive.
(c) Order and agression.
(d) Restraint and discipline.
15. According to Clausewitz, what support is less important than government and soldier support during actual military operations?
(a) Public support.
(b) Spousal support.
(c) Media support.
(d) Financial support.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Russian front famous for according to Clausewitz?
2. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
3. What part of the population does Clausewitz say have self sacrifice implanted in their psyche?
4. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
5. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)