|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affects war strategy evolution according to Clausewitz?
(a) Generals and commanders.
(b) Terrain and weather.
(c) Food rationing.
(d) Technology and culture.
2. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
(a) His early death.
(b) Releasing the book within his lifetime.
(c) The invention of the Gatling gun.
(d) The introduction of women in the armed forces.
3. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are more cruel and destructive.
(b) They are the same.
(c) They are less cruel and destructive.
(d) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
4. What does Clausewitz say influences the answers provided by men about the war?
(a) Their condition.
(b) Their rank.
(c) When they were discharged.
(d) Whether or not they are married.
5. What is reading supposed to provide the military reader according to Clausewitz?
(a) Time to reflect on their lives.
(b) A good idea of what to expect on the battlefield.
(c) Preparatory guidance.
(d) A blueprint for war.
6. What does Clausewitz think of the rule first declared to be the one and only?
(a) It was the one and only.
(b) It was true at the time.
(c) It was only true for infantry.
(d) It wouldn't stand to reality.
7. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
8. What portion of the war plans do lower ranking figures usually implement according to Clausewitz?
(a) The easy portion.
(b) The unimportant portion.
(c) The tactical portion.
(d) The small portion.
9. What controls the strategist according to Clausewitz?
(a) The rules of engagement.
(b) Duty to the troops and to the objectives.
(c) The generals.
(d) The civilian powers.
10. What types of soldiers does Clausewitz say tend to lose heart when they encounter combat?
(a) Poorly trained soldiers.
(b) The inexperienced and followers.
(c) Married soldiers and the sick.
(d) Young officers.
11. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
12. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
13. What does Clausewitz say is more difficult to do during a war?
(a) Send units on suicide missions.
(b) See the consequences of an action.
(c) Make a good decision.
(d) Trace effects back to its causes.
14. What does Clausewitz say dictates how much control an official must maintain over others?
(a) His gender.
(b) His age.
(c) His country.
(d) His rank.
15. Why does Clausewitz think great leaders were always right?
(a) Because of their academic training.
(b) Because of their faith.
(c) Because of their innate greatness and genius.
(d) Because they read a draft of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
2. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
4. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
5. Why should someone study memoirs of past commanders according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)