|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what cannot be ignored in war?
(a) The breed of the horses.
(b) The walking speed of the army.
(c) The canon's maker.
(d) Moral values.
2. Why should someone study memoirs of past commanders according to Clausewitz?
(a) To counter their style more effectively.
(b) To copy their style.
(c) To improve critical analysis skills.
(d) To improve reading skills.
3. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
(a) The will of the generals.
(b) The size of the country.
(c) The goal of the war.
(d) The country economical power.
4. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
(a) Leave the country.
5. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Not applicable.
(b) Difficult to understand.
6. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
(a) His early death.
(b) The invention of the Gatling gun.
(c) The introduction of women in the armed forces.
(d) Releasing the book within his lifetime.
7. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
(a) Uncertainty of all information.
(c) Moral values.
(d) Army size.
8. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Complex and changeable.
(b) Complex and strict.
(c) Simple and strict.
(d) Simple and changeable.
9. How many activities does Clausewitz say strategic methods consist of?
(a) 2 activities.
(b) 3 activities.
(c) 6 activities.
(d) 5 activities.
10. Where should strategic plans be made according to Clausewitz?
(a) At mid level.
(b) On the spot.
(c) At low level.
(d) At the highest level.
11. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
(a) Charles XIII.
(b) Louis the XIV.
(d) Frederick the Great.
12. What is necessary to make theoretical sense of actual events according to Clausewitz?
(a) A military mind.
(b) Critical analysis.
(c) Good academic bases.
(d) His books.
13. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
14. What does Clausewitz claim as a vital component of critical analysis?
(a) Be from an aristocratic family.
(b) Investigation and evaluation of means used in warfare.
(c) Have a classical education.
(d) Studying at 2 or more war colleges.
15. How long does Clausewitz say it would take a man to compile a proper survey of history?
(a) A lifetime.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is more difficult to do during a war?
2. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
3. Who does Clausewitz say fares best at war with the consequences of friction?
4. Why do the first war theorists only consider what could be mathematically calculated when they created the first war theory according to Clausewitz?
5. What controls the strategist according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)