|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz says of the people that can deal with friction?
(a) They will show up when they are needed.
(b) Scholars are usually among them.
(c) Military genius.
(d) They are very rare.
2. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
(a) Destroy the enemy's army.
(b) Self defense.
(c) Cut the enemy's supply route.
(d) Take the enemy's capital.
3. What does Clausewitz tell the reader is better than reading and learning about war strategy from books?
(c) Learning abroad.
(d) Learning under a good commander.
4. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
(a) Releasing the book within his lifetime.
(b) The introduction of women in the armed forces.
(c) His early death.
(d) The invention of the Gatling gun.
5. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
(b) The first requirement.
(c) Something that makes no difference.
(d) The second requirement.
6. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
7. What affects war strategy evolution according to Clausewitz?
(a) Terrain and weather.
(b) Food rationing.
(c) Technology and culture.
(d) Generals and commanders.
8. What must the strategist do during war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Always use the same strategy.
(b) Change strategies every few days.
(c) Maintain control.
(d) Use past strategies.
9. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
(b) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
(c) Because it is easier to read.
(d) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
10. What does Clausewitz say dictates how much control an official must maintain over others?
(a) His gender.
(b) His country.
(c) His age.
(d) His rank.
11. What is war NOT, according to Clausewitz?
(a) A short single blow.
(b) A long succession of battles.
(c) A single long battle.
(d) A succession of single blows with short periods of peace times.
12. How many activities does Clausewitz say strategic methods consist of?
(a) 2 activities.
(b) 5 activities.
(c) 6 activities.
(d) 3 activities.
13. What does Clausewitz say about the teaching of war strategy?
(a) Books by generals are best to teach it.
(b) It cannot be taught using old examples.
(c) Only he can teach it.
(d) A good war college is essential.
14. Who were the rules created for according to Clausewitz?
(a) The rich.
(b) The military.
(c) The unintelligent.
(d) The poor.
15. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
(a) The counter part of Book 6, "On Defense."
(b) A conclusion.
(c) The introduction to Book 8, "War-Plans."
(d) An independent book in the series.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
2. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz tell the reader about his view on formal education?
4. What are the top commanders more prone to suffer from according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz suggest about the quality of the readings made by most people concerning military matters?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)