|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about routine?
(a) It does not matter.
(b) It has the same importance for the general down to the enlisted men.
(c) Its importance is increasing.
(d) Its importance is decreasing.
2. According to Clausewitz, what cannot be ignored in war?
(a) The walking speed of the army.
(b) The canon's maker.
(c) Moral values.
(d) The breed of the horses.
3. What qualities does Clausewitz describe as imperative for a commander?
(a) Steadfastness and intelligence.
(b) Luck and intelligence.
(c) Steadfastness and loyalty.
(d) Aristocracy and good education.
4. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations of political significance.
(b) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
(c) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Operations to try to occupy more land.
5. What does Clausewitz say clouds the reality of one's position within a situation?
(a) Over confidence.
(c) Bad terrain.
(d) The fog of war.
6. What is strategy according to Clausewitz in Book 3, Chapter 1?
(a) The supply line safety.
(b) The thinking prior to battle.
(c) The setting up of the army.
(d) The use of engagements.
7. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As a ready to publish version.
(b) As being stolen from another author.
(c) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
(d) As a rough draft.
8. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
9. What adds to the challenges of the execution of a battle plan according to Clausewitz?
(a) The situation not appearing as it is.
(b) Bad commanders.
(c) Inexperienced soldiers.
(d) Bad terrain.
10. What tends to exacerbate falsehood according to Clausewitz?
(b) Bad intelligence officers.
(d) Low self esteem.
11. What does Clausewitz think of the location where the war plans are drawn?
(a) It matters.
(b) It must be near the front line.
(c) It must be made as far from the front line as possible.
(d) It does not matter.
12. What must the strategist do during war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Use past strategies.
(b) Change strategies every few days.
(c) Maintain control.
(d) Always use the same strategy.
13. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
(a) The country economical power.
(b) The size of the country.
(c) The will of the generals.
(d) The goal of the war.
14. What cannot be underestimated according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The intellectual training.
(b) The need for an army to walk.
(c) The physical effort.
(d) The need for good horses.
15. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
(a) The aims.
(b) The weapons.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about friction and strength?
2. What controls the strategist according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz think of genius and established rules?
4. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
5. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)