|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are high ranking officers usually not, according to Clausewitz?
(a) Good learners.
(b) Scholarly personnel.
(d) Smart people.
2. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
(a) Superiority of infantry.
(b) Numerical superiority.
(c) Superiority of cavalry.
(d) Superiority of archery.
3. What does Clausewitz say influences the answers provided by men about the war?
(a) Their condition.
(b) When they were discharged.
(c) Whether or not they are married.
(d) Their rank.
4. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
(c) Leave the country.
5. What affects war strategy evolution according to Clausewitz?
(a) Generals and commanders.
(b) Food rationing.
(c) Technology and culture.
(d) Terrain and weather.
6. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
7. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are less cruel and destructive.
(b) They are the same.
(c) They are more cruel and destructive.
(d) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
8. What does Clausewitz say about the teaching of war strategy?
(a) It cannot be taught using old examples.
(b) A good war college is essential.
(c) Only he can teach it.
(d) Books by generals are best to teach it.
9. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
(a) The social object.
(b) The size of the army.
(c) The will of the generals in charge.
(d) The political object.
10. What is reading supposed to provide the military reader according to Clausewitz?
(a) Time to reflect on their lives.
(b) A good idea of what to expect on the battlefield.
(c) A blueprint for war.
(d) Preparatory guidance.
11. How long does Clausewitz say it would take a man to compile a proper survey of history?
(a) 50 years.
(b) A lifetime.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 3 years.
12. Why were the rules created according to Clausewitz?
(a) To provide guidance on how to behave and act.
(b) To prevent the military from taking power.
(c) To prevent soldiers from revolting.
(d) To prevent civilians from interfering with war plans.
13. What does Clausewitz says of the people that can deal with friction?
(a) They will show up when they are needed.
(b) They are very rare.
(c) Military genius.
(d) Scholars are usually among them.
14. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) The second requirement.
(b) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
(c) Something that makes no difference.
(d) The first requirement.
15. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
(c) Counter insurgency.
(d) Major Operations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about the time passed to acquire knowledge in Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. What does Clausewitz say of the majority of intelligence information?
3. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz tell the reader is better than reading and learning about war strategy from books?
5. Why do the first war theorists only consider what could be mathematically calculated when they created the first war theory according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)