|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What qualities does Clausewitz describe as imperative for a commander?
(a) Steadfastness and intelligence.
(b) Steadfastness and loyalty.
(c) Luck and intelligence.
(d) Aristocracy and good education.
2. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
(a) Hostile intentions alone.
(b) Hostile feelings and hostile intentions.
(c) Hostile feelings alone.
(d) Hostile feelings and need to play.
3. What led to the need for a theory on the "art of war," according to Clausewtiz?
(a) The creation of war colleges.
(b) Reflections on the events of war.
(c) The need to sell more books.
(d) The need to train more efficient Generals.
4. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) The first requirement.
(b) Something that makes no difference.
(c) The second requirement.
(d) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
5. What faulty concept did theorists try to condense previous theories in according to Clausewitz?
6. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
(a) With archery.
(b) In European wars.
(c) In 745.
(d) In sieges war.
7. What does Clausewitz say clouds the reality of one's position within a situation?
(b) The fog of war.
(c) Bad terrain.
(d) Over confidence.
8. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
(a) Frederick the Great.
(c) Charles XII.
9. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) As a way for generals to fight boredom.
(b) As a necessity for the economy.
(c) As a continuation of policy by other means.
(d) As a one time event that politicians cannot control.
10. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are more cruel and destructive.
(b) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
(c) They are less cruel and destructive.
(d) They are the same.
11. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
(a) Counter insurgency.
(c) Major Operations.
12. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They wait for the enemy to make the first move.
(b) They go beyond established rules.
(c) They go ahead without planning.
(d) They follow established rules.
13. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
(a) Moral values.
(b) Uncertainty of all information.
(d) Army size.
14. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
(b) Leave the country.
15. What does Clausewitz say is more difficult to do during a war?
(a) Send units on suicide missions.
(b) Make a good decision.
(c) See the consequences of an action.
(d) Trace effects back to its causes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say influences the answers provided by men about the war?
2. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
3. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz say about people and their methods of drawing conclusions?
5. What is precious to an army according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)