|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6, 'Book 8 : War Plans' : Chapter 2, The Instrument of Policy Seeks Limited Aims.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is more difficult to do during a war?
(a) Make a good decision.
(b) Trace effects back to its causes.
(c) See the consequences of an action.
(d) Send units on suicide missions.
2. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
(a) Large number of cavalry.
(b) One successful surprise attack.
(c) Accurate firearms.
(d) A good General.
3. What types of soldiers does Clausewitz say tend to lose heart when they encounter combat?
(a) Married soldiers and the sick.
(b) Poorly trained soldiers.
(c) Young officers.
(d) The inexperienced and followers.
4. What does Clausewitz say was setup as a final arbiter of war in the former theory of the "art of war"?
5. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
(a) The end of the struggle.
(b) Height of the engagement.
(c) Culmination of the attack.
(d) The turning point.
Short Answer Questions
1. What qualities does Clausewitz describe as imperative for a commander?
2. What tenet does Clausewitz admit previous war theorists got right?
3. What does Clausewitz say influences the answers provided by men about the war?
4. What general rule does Clausewitz give concerning defense and attack?
5. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)