|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6, 'Book 8 : War Plans' : Chapter 2, The Instrument of Policy Seeks Limited Aims.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tenet does Clausewitz admit previous war theorists got right?
(a) Engagement is the only effective means of war.
(b) Engagement is a sign of a weak commander.
(c) Commanding officers are paramount to any army.
(d) Cavalry cannot be defeated.
2. What does Clausewitz claim as a vital component of critical analysis?
(a) Have a classical education.
(b) Be from an aristocratic family.
(c) Investigation and evaluation of means used in warfare.
(d) Studying at 2 or more war colleges.
3. What is the top priority of each side during a battle according to Clausewitz?
(a) To break the enemy's morale.
(b) To preserve own's fighting force.
(c) To destroy the enemy.
(d) To hold the line whatever happens.
4. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
(a) Arrow making and archery.
(b) Cow breeding and cultivation.
(c) Sword building and fencing.
(d) Cultivation and eating.
5. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
(a) In defense.
(b) In attack.
(c) In strategy.
(d) In tactic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clausewitz disappointed about concerning imperial expansion?
2. What does Clausewitz says of the people that can deal with friction?
3. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
4. Why does Clausewitz says the attacking force loses strength as it goes deeper into enemy territory?
5. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)