|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6, 'Book 8 : War Plans' : Chapter 2, The Instrument of Policy Seeks Limited Aims.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say would be the message sent by an army taking a castle, burning the fields, dispersing the livestock and then retreating?
(a) The cattle was host to disease.
(b) One army does not have a good military plans.
(c) The people around the castle were too weak.
(d) One army is punishing the other.
2. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
(b) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(c) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Operations of political significance.
3. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
(a) To win the battle.
(b) To clear the way for an invasion.
(c) To force the enemy to rebuild his forces.
(d) To eliminate the threat of the enemy.
4. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As a ready to publish version.
(b) As a rough draft.
(c) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
(d) As being stolen from another author.
5. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
(a) Hostile feelings alone.
(b) Hostile feelings and hostile intentions.
(c) Hostile feelings and need to play.
(d) Hostile intentions alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
2. What types of soldiers does Clausewitz say tend to lose heart when they encounter combat?
3. Who does Clausewitz say fares best at war with the consequences of friction?
4. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)