|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6, 'Book 8 : War Plans' : Chapter 2, The Instrument of Policy Seeks Limited Aims.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complements each method of defense according to Clausewitz in Book 5, Chapter 1?
(a) A perfect defensive weapon.
(b) A perfect troop placement.
(c) A perfect method of attack.
(d) A perfect general.
2. What is reading supposed to provide the military reader according to Clausewitz?
(a) Time to reflect on their lives.
(b) Preparatory guidance.
(c) A blueprint for war.
(d) A good idea of what to expect on the battlefield.
3. What general rule does Clausewitz give concerning defense and attack?
(a) Generals ususally prefer attacks.
(b) Attack is superior.
(c) A particular general will be good at one or the other.
(d) General should adapt to the situation.
4. What does Clausewitz call the area where military action occurs?
(a) The theatre of operations.
(b) The field of battle.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The operating area.
5. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Killing the enemy and coming back alive.
(b) Restraint and discipline.
(c) Fighting injustice.
(d) Order and agression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say is more difficult to do during a war?
2. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
3. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
4. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
5. What qualities does Clausewitz describe as imperative for a commander?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)