|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
(a) Frederick the Great.
(c) Charles XII.
2. What does Clausewitz say about holding new territories?
(a) It is easy to do for a large army.
(b) Martial law is a necessity.
(c) They need to be adjacent to an attacker's normal theatre of operation.
(d) The country needs to appoint a governor as quickly as possible.
3. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
(a) As being plunged in darkness.
(b) As an eye opening experience.
(c) As the first step toward real manhood.
(d) As a good life lesson.
4. What is strategy according to Clausewitz in Book 3, Chapter 1?
(a) The thinking prior to battle.
(b) The supply line safety.
(c) The use of engagements.
(d) The setting up of the army.
5. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
(b) Frederick the Great.
(c) Charles XIII.
(d) Louis the XIV.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor does Clausewitz say was considered the only one that could be calculated according to the first author trying to theorize war?
2. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say clouds the reality of one's position within a situation?
4. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
5. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)