|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the rules created according to Clausewitz?
(a) To prevent civilians from interfering with war plans.
(b) To prevent the military from taking power.
(c) To provide guidance on how to behave and act.
(d) To prevent soldiers from revolting.
2. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
(a) When the enemy is too slow to retreat.
(b) When the enemy goals are high enough to allow it.
(c) When the enemy's general is incompetent.
(d) When the enemy has a small army.
3. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Complex and strict.
(b) Simple and changeable.
(c) Simple and strict.
(d) Complex and changeable.
4. According to Clausewitz, what is decision outside the realm of strategy?
(a) Tactical mastery.
(b) Casual force.
5. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(b) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
(c) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
(d) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should someone study memoirs of past commanders according to Clausewitz?
2. What effect can physical violence have on troops if they don't understand why violence should be used according to Clausewitz?
3. Where should strategic plans be made according to Clausewitz?
4. What can attack and defense be transformed into according to Clausewitz?
5. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)