|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
(b) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(c) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
(d) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
2. Who does Clausewitz say fares best at war with the consequences of friction?
(a) People who are not smart enough to realize the problem.
(b) People who are smart enough to foresee the friction.
(c) People who don't care.
(d) People with an iron will.
3. What does Clausewitz think of the location where the war plans are drawn?
(a) It must be made as far from the front line as possible.
(b) It does not matter.
(c) It must be near the front line.
(d) It matters.
4. What factor does Clausewitz say was considered the only one that could be calculated according to the first author trying to theorize war?
(a) The execution of war.
(b) The preparation of war.
(c) Training of generals.
(d) Assault on fortified positions.
5. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(b) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
(c) Get a better army.
(d) Disarm the enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does discernment help superior officers do with the information gathered according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz claim as a vital component of critical analysis?
3. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
4. What should military people do when they are not on the battlefield according to Clausewitz?
5. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)