|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(b) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
(c) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(d) Operations of political significance.
2. Why should someone study memoirs of past commanders according to Clausewitz?
(a) To copy their style.
(b) To improve reading skills.
(c) To improve critical analysis skills.
(d) To counter their style more effectively.
3. When does no side get attacked, but still spend resources toward the war effort according to Clausewitz?
(a) When all sides are fearful.
(b) When all sides attack an undefended province of the enemy.
(c) When all sides move their troops.
(d) When all sides are in defensive mode.
4. What does Clausewitz say was setup as a final arbiter of war in the former theory of the "art of war"?
5. What construction method does Clausewitz use as a metaphor for holding new territories?
(a) Wall building.
(b) Tile laying.
(c) Roof building.
(d) Concrete pouring.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
2. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
3. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
4. What does discernment help superior officers do with the information gathered according to Clausewitz?
5. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)