|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
(a) In 745.
(b) In sieges war.
(c) With archery.
(d) In European wars.
2. According to Clausewitz, what is typically not decisive in a long term conflict?
(a) Large number of cavalry.
(b) A good General.
(c) Accurate firearms.
(d) One successful surprise attack.
3. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As being stolen from another author.
(b) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
(c) As a ready to publish version.
(d) As a rough draft.
4. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
(a) To rest the troops.
(b) To set up defenses.
(c) To move the troops from one battlefield to the other.
(d) The strategy demands it.
5. What does Clausewitz say about the time passed to acquire knowledge in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) It is too long.
(b) It is not very long.
(c) It will be missed.
(d) It is well spent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was not considered a suitable subject for theory in the former "art of war" according to Clausewitz?
2. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
3. What does Clausewitz call the moment of a battle where there is opportunity for a decisive victory?
4. How many activities does Clausewitz say strategic methods consist of?
5. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)