|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Book 6: Defence : Chapter 1, Attack & Defence, The People in Arms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is initiative more helpful according to Clausewitz?
(a) In attack.
(b) In strategy.
(c) In tactic.
(d) In defense.
2. What does Clausewitz say reserves can be used for?
(a) To allow for the king to visit the troops.
(b) To allow troops rest so they can be rotated in the front line.
(c) To push for the final decision and counter unforeseen attacks.
(d) To protect the officers from retreating troops.
3. What does Clausewitz tell the reader is better than reading and learning about war strategy from books?
(a) Learning abroad.
(b) Learning under a good commander.
4. What faulty concept did theorists try to condense previous theories in according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz think of genius and established rules?
(a) Genius expands the rules.
(b) Genius follows rules to the letter.
(c) Genius can override rules.
(d) Genius makes the rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
2. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
3. How does Clausewitz call the advantage a defense army has over an offensive army?
4. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
5. What does Clausewitz say can be challenging to do during a particular campaign?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)