|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Book 6: Defence : Chapter 1, Attack & Defence, The People in Arms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
(a) Arrow making and archery.
(b) Sword building and fencing.
(c) Cultivation and eating.
(d) Cow breeding and cultivation.
2. What does Clausewitz says of the people that can deal with friction?
(a) Scholars are usually among them.
(b) Military genius.
(c) They will show up when they are needed.
(d) They are very rare.
3. What does Clausewitz say about the teaching of war strategy?
(a) Only he can teach it.
(b) Books by generals are best to teach it.
(c) A good war college is essential.
(d) It cannot be taught using old examples.
4. What does Clausewitz think of the location where the war plans are drawn?
(a) It must be made as far from the front line as possible.
(b) It must be near the front line.
(c) It matters.
(d) It does not matter.
5. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because it is easier to read.
(b) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
(c) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
(d) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
2. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
3. What general rule does Clausewitz give concerning defense and attack?
4. According to Clausewitz, what cannot be ignored in war?
5. How does Clausewitz think available forces of a country should be used in a war?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)