|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Book 6: Defence : Chapter 1, Attack & Defence, The People in Arms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition does Clausewitz give for "friction"?
(a) Anything bizarre making things difficult.
(b) Soldier mental breakdown.
(c) Foreigners among the ranks.
(d) Small battles.
2. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(b) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
(c) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
(d) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
3. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
4. What does Clausewitz say about the use of the forces available in Book 3, Chapter 2?
(a) It must be concentrated.
(b) It must be mobile.
(c) It must be used in small group.
(d) It must be used on a wide front.
5. What qualities does Clausewitz describe as imperative for a commander?
(a) Aristocracy and good education.
(b) Luck and intelligence.
(c) Steadfastness and intelligence.
(d) Steadfastness and loyalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
2. What general rule does Clausewitz give concerning defense and attack?
3. What does Clausewitz say dictates how much control an official must maintain over others?
4. What is precious to an army according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
5. What types of soldiers does Clausewitz say tend to lose heart when they encounter combat?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)