|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Book 6: Defence : Chapter 1, Attack & Defence, The People in Arms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is military life about according to Clausewitz?
(a) Restraint and discipline.
(b) Killing the enemy and coming back alive.
(c) Fighting injustice.
(d) Order and agression.
2. Why do the first war theorists only consider what could be mathematically calculated when they created the first war theory according to Clausewitz?
(a) They wanted to reach a set of sure and positive conclusion.
(b) They didn't care about war.
(c) They were mathematicians.
(d) They wanted the theory to be easily taught.
3. What definition of defense does Clausewitz give in Book 4, Chapter 1?
(a) To successfully not get hit even when another tried to hit you.
(b) To build fortifications that cannot be broken.
(c) To attack first and destroy the enemy totally.
(d) To block the enemy's advances without loss of life.
4. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
5. Why don't civilized nations execute their prisoners according to Clausewitz?
(a) They do not want to waste bullets.
(b) Intelligence plays a higher part in warfare.
(c) They do not have time to take prisoners.
(d) It is against the Geneva Convention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect can physical violence have on troops if they don't understand why violence should be used according to Clausewitz?
2. What tends to exacerbate falsehood according to Clausewitz?
3. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
4. What does Clausewitz say about friction and strength?
5. What is necessary to make theoretical sense of actual events according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)