|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, On The Theory of War : Chapter 5, Method & Routine, Critical Analysis, Historical Examples.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does discernment help superior officers do with the information gathered according to Clausewitz?
(a) Pick good intelligence officers.
(b) Learn from the enemy's mistakes regarding how to prevent information leaks.
(c) Choose how to bribe enemy soldiers.
(d) Eliminate error.
2. What cannot be underestimated according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The need for good horses.
(b) The physical effort.
(c) The intellectual training.
(d) The need for an army to walk.
3. What do allies do concerning weaknesses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They exploit them.
(b) They try to ignore them.
(c) They try to match them.
(d) They work to cover each other weaknesses.
4. What types of soldiers does Clausewitz say tend to lose heart when they encounter combat?
(a) Married soldiers and the sick.
(b) Poorly trained soldiers.
(c) Young officers.
(d) The inexperienced and followers.
5. What affects war strategy evolution according to Clausewitz?
(a) Technology and culture.
(b) Generals and commanders.
(c) Terrain and weather.
(d) Food rationing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
3. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
4. What does Clausewitz tell the reader about his view on formal education?
5. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)