|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, On The Theory of War : Chapter 3, Physical Effort, Intelligence & Friction in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are more cruel and destructive.
(b) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
(c) They are the same.
(d) They are less cruel and destructive.
2. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
(a) Put the enemy's forces in a condition so they can no longer fight.
(b) Destroying the enemy's reputation.
(c) Physically destroying all of the enemies forces.
(d) Capturing the commanding officers of the enemy.
3. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
(a) An act of weakness because diplomacy didn't succeed.
(b) A way for nations to settle trivial disputes.
(c) A way for the military powerful to grab resources from their neighboring country.
(d) An act of force to compel our enemy to do our will.
4. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
(a) There is a way to disarm the enemy without too much bloodshed.
(b) The true goal of war is acquiring farmland.
(c) War is not a necessity for nations to prosper.
(d) War is done by gentlemen for gentlemen.
5. Who does Clausewitz say fares best at war with the consequences of friction?
(a) People with an iron will.
(b) People who don't care.
(c) People who are smart enough to foresee the friction.
(d) People who are not smart enough to realize the problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
2. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
3. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
4. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
5. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)