|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
(a) To force the enemy to rebuild his forces.
(b) To eliminate the threat of the enemy.
(c) To clear the way for an invasion.
(d) To win the battle.
2. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As being stolen from another author.
(b) As a ready to publish version.
(c) As a rough draft.
(d) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
3. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
(b) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
(c) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
(d) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
4. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
(a) The goal of the war.
(b) The country economical power.
(c) The size of the country.
(d) The will of the generals.
5. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(b) Disarm the enemy.
(c) Get a better army.
(d) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
2. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
3. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
4. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
5. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)