|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
(a) Him to fight only one battle.
(b) Him to not try to fight you hard.
(c) Him to give it to you without a fight.
(d) Him to fight to the last man.
2. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
(a) His early death.
(b) Releasing the book within his lifetime.
(c) The introduction of women in the armed forces.
(d) The invention of the Gatling gun.
3. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
(a) War is not a necessity for nations to prosper.
(b) War is done by gentlemen for gentlemen.
(c) The true goal of war is acquiring farmland.
(d) There is a way to disarm the enemy without too much bloodshed.
4. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) The first requirement.
(b) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
(c) Something that makes no difference.
(d) The second requirement.
5. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
3. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
4. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
5. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)