|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(b) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(c) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
(d) Operations of political significance.
2. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
3. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
(a) An act of force to compel our enemy to do our will.
(b) A way for nations to settle trivial disputes.
(c) An act of weakness because diplomacy didn't succeed.
(d) A way for the military powerful to grab resources from their neighboring country.
4. For Clausewitz, when should defeating the enemy not be the aim of a war?
(a) When the enemy is a salvage.
(b) When the enemy has powerful allies.
(c) When the enemy is an economical power.
(d) When the enemy's army is substantially more powerful.
5. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
(b) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
(c) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
(d) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
2. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
3. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
4. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)