|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
(a) Him to fight only one battle.
(b) Him to not try to fight you hard.
(c) Him to fight to the last man.
(d) Him to give it to you without a fight.
2. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As a rough draft.
(b) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
(c) As being stolen from another author.
(d) As a ready to publish version.
3. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Simple and changeable.
(b) Complex and changeable.
(c) Complex and strict.
(d) Simple and strict.
4. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
5. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
(b) They are more cruel and destructive.
(c) They are less cruel and destructive.
(d) They are the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is war NOT, according to Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
3. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
4. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
5. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)