|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
(a) Physically destroying all of the enemies forces.
(b) Destroying the enemy's reputation.
(c) Put the enemy's forces in a condition so they can no longer fight.
(d) Capturing the commanding officers of the enemy.
2. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
(b) Counter insurgency.
(c) Major Operations.
3. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) The first requirement.
(b) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
(c) Something that makes no difference.
(d) The second requirement.
4. Why does Clausewitz think great leaders were always right?
(a) Because they read a draft of the book.
(b) Because of their faith.
(c) Because of their innate greatness and genius.
(d) Because of their academic training.
5. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
3. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
4. For Clausewitz, when should defeating the enemy not be the aim of a war?
5. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)