|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
(a) There is a way to disarm the enemy without too much bloodshed.
(b) The true goal of war is acquiring farmland.
(c) War is not a necessity for nations to prosper.
(d) War is done by gentlemen for gentlemen.
2. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
(b) The second requirement.
(c) The first requirement.
(d) Something that makes no difference.
3. Why don't civilized nations execute their prisoners according to Clausewitz?
(a) They do not want to waste bullets.
(b) It is against the Geneva Convention.
(c) Intelligence plays a higher part in warfare.
(d) They do not have time to take prisoners.
4. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
(a) Louis the XIV.
(b) Charles XIII.
(c) Frederick the Great.
5. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Get a better army.
(b) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(c) Disarm the enemy.
(d) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
2. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
3. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
4. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
5. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)