|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
(a) Frederick the Great.
(b) Charles XII.
2. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
3. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(b) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
(c) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Operations of political significance.
4. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
(b) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
(c) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
(d) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
5. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) Something that makes no difference.
(b) The first requirement.
(c) The second requirement.
(d) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
2. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
3. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
4. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)