|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
2. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations of political significance.
(b) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(c) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(d) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
3. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
4. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
(a) The political object.
(b) The will of the generals in charge.
(c) The size of the army.
(d) The social object.
5. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
(b) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
(c) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
(d) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Clausewitz fear would make his book liable to endless misinterpretation?
2. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
3. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
4. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
5. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)