|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
(a) Hostile feelings alone.
(b) Hostile feelings and hostile intentions.
(c) Hostile feelings and need to play.
(d) Hostile intentions alone.
2. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
(a) The will of the generals in charge.
(b) The social object.
(c) The political object.
(d) The size of the army.
3. What is never final in war according to Clausewitz?
4. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
(a) An act of weakness because diplomacy didn't succeed.
(b) A way for the military powerful to grab resources from their neighboring country.
(c) A way for nations to settle trivial disputes.
(d) An act of force to compel our enemy to do our will.
5. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
(b) Frederick the Great.
(c) Charles XII.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
2. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
3. For Clausewitz, when should defeating the enemy not be the aim of a war?
4. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
5. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)