|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is war NOT, according to Clausewitz?
(a) A succession of single blows with short periods of peace times.
(b) A long succession of battles.
(c) A short single blow.
(d) A single long battle.
2. What does Clausewitz say is the one consideration that can postpone war between two parties that are ready for it?
(a) Leaving time for diplomacy.
(b) A desire to wait for a better moment before acting.
(c) The weather.
(d) Creating their army.
3. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
(a) The size of the country.
(b) The country economical power.
(c) The will of the generals.
(d) The goal of the war.
4. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
5. For Clausewitz, when should defeating the enemy not be the aim of a war?
(a) When the enemy's army is substantially more powerful.
(b) When the enemy is a salvage.
(c) When the enemy has powerful allies.
(d) When the enemy is an economical power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
2. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
3. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
4. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
5. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)