|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They wait for the enemy to make the first move.
(b) They follow established rules.
(c) They go ahead without planning.
(d) They go beyond established rules.
2. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
(a) An act of force to compel our enemy to do our will.
(b) A way for the military powerful to grab resources from their neighboring country.
(c) An act of weakness because diplomacy didn't succeed.
(d) A way for nations to settle trivial disputes.
3. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
(a) It is necessary.
(b) It is a fault of character.
(c) It always brings victory.
(d) It is a sign of genius.
4. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) As a one time event that politicians cannot control.
(b) As a continuation of policy by other means.
(c) As a necessity for the economy.
(d) As a way for generals to fight boredom.
5. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
(a) Major Operations.
(d) Counter insurgency.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
2. Why don't civilized nations execute their prisoners according to Clausewitz?
3. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
5. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)