|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
(a) The political object.
(b) The will of the generals in charge.
(c) The size of the army.
(d) The social object.
2. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
(a) To destroy his armies and invade his country.
(b) To defeat his allies and take his women.
(c) To blockade his ports and wait for his surrender.
(d) To destroy his armies and blockade his country.
3. What is courage to the soldier according to Clausewitz?
(a) The second requirement.
(b) Something that makes no difference.
(c) The first requirement.
(d) Unnecessary if he follows orders.
4. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are more cruel and destructive.
(b) They are less cruel and destructive.
(c) They are the same.
(d) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
5. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
2. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz say indicates the will's resistance to a single blow?
4. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
5. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)