|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
(a) Destroy the enemy's army.
(b) Self defense.
(c) Cut the enemy's supply route.
(d) Take the enemy's capital.
2. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
(b) As a ready to publish version.
(c) As being stolen from another author.
(d) As a rough draft.
3. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
(b) Louis the XIV.
(c) Frederick the Great.
(d) Charles XIII.
4. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
(a) Major Operations.
(d) Counter insurgency.
5. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
(a) Him to give it to you without a fight.
(b) Him to not try to fight you hard.
(c) Him to fight to the last man.
(d) Him to fight only one battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
3. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
5. What is war NOT, according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)