|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
(a) Put the enemy's forces in a condition so they can no longer fight.
(b) Capturing the commanding officers of the enemy.
(c) Physically destroying all of the enemies forces.
(d) Destroying the enemy's reputation.
2. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They wait for the enemy to make the first move.
(b) They go ahead without planning.
(c) They go beyond established rules.
(d) They follow established rules.
3. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Simple and strict.
(b) Simple and changeable.
(c) Complex and changeable.
(d) Complex and strict.
4. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
(a) War is not a necessity for nations to prosper.
(b) There is a way to disarm the enemy without too much bloodshed.
(c) The true goal of war is acquiring farmland.
(d) War is done by gentlemen for gentlemen.
5. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
(b) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
(c) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
(d) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
2. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
3. What do the enemy's expenditures consist of according to Clausewitz?
4. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
5. What is war NOT, according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)