|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
2. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
(b) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(c) Get a better army.
(d) Disarm the enemy.
3. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) As a way for generals to fight boredom.
(b) As a necessity for the economy.
(c) As a continuation of policy by other means.
(d) As a one time event that politicians cannot control.
4. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Complex and strict.
(b) Simple and strict.
(c) Simple and changeable.
(d) Complex and changeable.
5. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
(a) Hostile feelings and need to play.
(b) Hostile intentions alone.
(c) Hostile feelings alone.
(d) Hostile feelings and hostile intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
2. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
3. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
4. What is the aim of disarming the enemy according to Clausewitz?
5. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)