|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Simple and changeable.
(b) Complex and strict.
(c) Simple and strict.
(d) Complex and changeable.
2. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Get a better army.
(b) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
(c) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Disarm the enemy.
3. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
(a) Him to fight only one battle.
(b) Him to not try to fight you hard.
(c) Him to fight to the last man.
(d) Him to give it to you without a fight.
4. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
(a) Self defense.
(b) Cut the enemy's supply route.
(c) Take the enemy's capital.
(d) Destroy the enemy's army.
5. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
(a) An act of weakness because diplomacy didn't succeed.
(b) An act of force to compel our enemy to do our will.
(c) A way for nations to settle trivial disputes.
(d) A way for the military powerful to grab resources from their neighboring country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the kindhearted think, according to Clausewitz?
2. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
3. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
4. Why do men fight each other according to Clausewitz?
5. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)