|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
(b) Disarm the enemy.
(c) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Get a better army.
2. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
3. What does Clausewitz say defensive attitudes and position are for?
(a) For weak armies.
(b) To provide a base for future attacks.
(c) For poorly equipped countries.
(d) Self preservation.
4. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
(a) To set up defenses.
(b) To move the troops from one battlefield to the other.
(c) The strategy demands it.
(d) To rest the troops.
5. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
(a) Superiority of cavalry.
(b) Superiority of infantry.
(c) Superiority of archery.
(d) Numerical superiority.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz says of the people that can deal with friction?
2. What situation does Clausewitz envision being the only one where one can completely destroy the army of the enemy?
3. Who does Clausewitz say fares best at war with the consequences of friction?
4. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)