|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, 'Book 7' The Attack : Chapter 2, Without a Decision, Invasion, Victory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
2. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
(a) Put the enemy's forces in a condition so they can no longer fight.
(b) Physically destroying all of the enemies forces.
(c) Capturing the commanding officers of the enemy.
(d) Destroying the enemy's reputation.
3. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
(b) Because it is easier to read.
(c) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
(d) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
4. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are the same.
(b) They are less cruel and destructive.
(c) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
(d) They are more cruel and destructive.
5. What does Clausewitz say about the teaching of war strategy?
(a) Only he can teach it.
(b) It cannot be taught using old examples.
(c) Books by generals are best to teach it.
(d) A good war college is essential.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
2. What does Clausewitz say will force an enemy to withdraw from a previously conquered territory?
3. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
4. What does Clausewitz says is the minimum objective that a fighting army can choose?
5. According to Clausewitz, what does the power of the attack and the defense do over time?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)