|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, On The Theory of War : Chapter 4, Art & Science of War: Classifications.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that the commander in chief of an army must resolve problems like great mathematicians, such as Newton and Euler?
(a) Charles XII.
(b) Frederick the Great.
2. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
(b) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
(c) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
(d) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
3. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Get a better army.
(b) Destroy the country side of the enemy.
(c) Destroy the capital city of the enemy.
(d) Disarm the enemy.
4. Why don't civilized nations execute their prisoners according to Clausewitz?
(a) Intelligence plays a higher part in warfare.
(b) They do not want to waste bullets.
(c) They do not have time to take prisoners.
(d) It is against the Geneva Convention.
5. What does Clausewitz say determines the military objectives and the amount of force assigned to a war?
(a) The political object.
(b) The social object.
(c) The will of the generals in charge.
(d) The size of the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
2. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
3. Why does Clausewitz think great leaders were always right?
4. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
5. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)