|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, On The Theory of War : Chapter 4, Art & Science of War: Classifications.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition does Clausewitz give for "friction"?
(a) Foreigners among the ranks.
(b) Soldier mental breakdown.
(c) Small battles.
(d) Anything bizarre making things difficult.
2. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Knowledge of war.
(b) Science of war.
(d) Hard work.
3. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
(a) Louis the XIV.
(b) Frederick the Great.
(c) Charles XIII.
4. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
5. What are the two types of courage mentioned by Clausewitz?
(a) Courage of taking responsibility and personal courage.
(b) Courage to put one self before anyone else and courage to hold on to ones position when incompetent.
(c) Courage of taking responsibility and courage to send underlings to battle
(d) Courage to retreat and courage to sacrifice more than necessary
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
2. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
3. What clouds a soldier's objectivity concerning war according to Clausewitz?
4. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
5. According to Clausewitz, what can you expect if you demand a small penalty from your opponent?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)