|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, On Strategy in General : Chapter 2, Force, Reserves & Space.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was formerly a synonym of the "art of war" in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Knowledge of war.
(b) Science of war.
(d) Hard work.
2. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
(a) To rest the troops.
(b) To set up defenses.
(c) To move the troops from one battlefield to the other.
(d) The strategy demands it.
3. What tends to exacerbate falsehood according to Clausewitz?
(a) Low self esteem.
(c) Bad intelligence officers.
4. What rule did the theorist first declare as the one and only according to Clausewitz?
(a) Superiority of cavalry.
(b) Superiority of archery.
(c) Superiority of infantry.
(d) Numerical superiority.
5. What does discernment help superior officers do with the information gathered according to Clausewitz?
(a) Pick good intelligence officers.
(b) Learn from the enemy's mistakes regarding how to prevent information leaks.
(c) Choose how to bribe enemy soldiers.
(d) Eliminate error.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz define the nature of war at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. How does Clausewitz characterize harboring reserve troops when they should be used to their fullest?
3. What does Clausewitz say must determine the amount of efforts and resources put in a war?
4. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
5. What did previous theorists exclude from the rules according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)