|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, On Strategy in General : Chapter 2, Force, Reserves & Space.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What led to the need for a theory on the "art of war," according to Clausewtiz?
(a) The need to train more efficient Generals.
(b) The need to sell more books.
(c) Reflections on the events of war.
(d) The creation of war colleges.
2. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
(a) Difficult to understand.
(c) Not applicable.
3. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
(a) Uncertainty of all information.
(b) Army size.
(c) Moral values.
4. What factor does Clausewitz say was considered the only one that could be calculated according to the first author trying to theorize war?
(a) Assault on fortified positions.
(b) The preparation of war.
(c) The execution of war.
(d) Training of generals.
5. Who were the rules created for according to Clausewitz?
(a) The poor.
(b) The rich.
(c) The unintelligent.
(d) The military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
2. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
3. What tenet does Clausewitz admit previous war theorists got right?
4. What clouds a soldier's objectivity concerning war according to Clausewitz?
5. When does Clausewitz say "true" war first appeared?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)