|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, On Strategy in General : Chapter 2, Force, Reserves & Space.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do allies do concerning weaknesses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They try to match them.
(b) They work to cover each other weaknesses.
(c) They try to ignore them.
(d) They exploit them.
2. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
(a) Arrow making and archery.
(b) Cultivation and eating.
(c) Cow breeding and cultivation.
(d) Sword building and fencing.
3. What does Clausewitz say can alleviate fear in an army and improve performances?
(a) Good self esteem.
(c) Good weapons.
4. Why do the first war theorists only consider what could be mathematically calculated when they created the first war theory according to Clausewitz?
(a) They didn't care about war.
(b) They wanted the theory to be easily taught.
(c) They were mathematicians.
(d) They wanted to reach a set of sure and positive conclusion.
5. What definition does Clausewitz give for "friction"?
(a) Foreigners among the ranks.
(b) Soldier mental breakdown.
(c) Small battles.
(d) Anything bizarre making things difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz characterize harboring reserve troops when they should be used to their fullest?
2. How were the first attempts at theorizing war according to Clausewitz?
3. For Clausewitz, when should defeating the enemy not be the aim of a war?
4. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
5. What does Clausewitz say has a profound effect on methods used in war?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)