|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, On Strategy in General : Chapter 2, Force, Reserves & Space.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
(a) To defeat his allies and take his women.
(b) To destroy his armies and blockade his country.
(c) To blockade his ports and wait for his surrender.
(d) To destroy his armies and invade his country.
2. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
(b) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(c) Operations of political significance.
(d) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
3. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
(a) As a good life lesson.
(b) As being plunged in darkness.
(c) As an eye opening experience.
(d) As the first step toward real manhood.
4. What is precious to an army according to Clausewitz in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Experienced soldiers.
(b) Good physical health.
(c) Young, fit officers.
(d) Good education.
5. What does discernment help superior officers do with the information gathered according to Clausewitz?
(a) Pick good intelligence officers.
(b) Choose how to bribe enemy soldiers.
(c) Learn from the enemy's mistakes regarding how to prevent information leaks.
(d) Eliminate error.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clausewitz say about the use of the forces available in Book 3, Chapter 2?
2. What is strategy according to Clausewitz in Book 3, Chapter 1?
3. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
4. What reason does Clausewitz give for the way the majority of the time in war is spent?
5. What does Clausewitz say of obstinacy?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)