|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, On Strategy in General : Chapter 2, Force, Reserves & Space.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What controls the strategist according to Clausewitz?
(a) The civilian powers.
(b) Duty to the troops and to the objectives.
(c) The generals.
(d) The rules of engagement.
2. What definition does Clausewitz give for "friction"?
(a) Small battles.
(b) Soldier mental breakdown.
(c) Anything bizarre making things difficult.
(d) Foreigners among the ranks.
3. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
(a) Cultivation and eating.
(b) Arrow making and archery.
(c) Sword building and fencing.
(d) Cow breeding and cultivation.
4. What do allies do concerning weaknesses according to Clausewitz?
(a) They work to cover each other weaknesses.
(b) They try to ignore them.
(c) They try to match them.
(d) They exploit them.
5. How does Clausewitz describe the inexperienced soldier's first encounter with war?
(a) As the first step toward real manhood.
(b) As a good life lesson.
(c) As an eye opening experience.
(d) As being plunged in darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the majority of time in war spent according to Clausewitz?
2. What is the third property according to Clausewitz?
3. Where should strategic plans be made according to Clausewitz?
4. What factor does Clausewitz say was considered the only one that could be calculated according to the first author trying to theorize war?
5. What emotion does Clausewitz say should be used to make the enemy doubt the outcome of a war?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)