|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, "It's always up to you whether you are going to tell a story through a ____ of shots or you are not."
2. What was in the pen in the ending of the story in Chapter 5?
3. What, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6, are the marker buoys?
4. Who does Mamet say wove flaws into their blankets to let the devil out?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, we would like to learn a technique of directing and analyzing as concrete as that of a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
2. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
3. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
4. What can the director not make up for in the editing room, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
5. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
6. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
7. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
8. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
9. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
10. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eisenstein's theory of montage. How did Mamet view this approach to storytelling in film?
Essay Topic 2
Who was William of Occam, and what was Occam's Razor? How does this apply to film and dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities between film and dreams. What writers did Mamet cite in his discussion of this topic?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)