|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, you can't make it interesting once you get where?
2. What do you refer to when giving direction to the actor or the cameraman?
3. What did the pig have around its neck in the hypothetical film from Chapter 5?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, what is the perfect movie?
5. What example did Mamet use in Chapter 4 to demonstrate how you don't or do shoot a scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
2. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
3. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
4. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
5. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
6. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
7. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
8. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
10. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's point of view regarding identification of the audience with the hero of the story. How much description should surround this character, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's approach to the director's interaction with the actors and the camera operators on the set. What did he suggest in these interactions, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)