|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet compared the work of the film director to what, in Chapter 6?
2. What was the steamboat captain's answer to Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
3. The study of what is very useful for directors, according to Mamet?
4. According to Mamet, what actor did he laud for his simplicity in a scene which involved the Nazis, in Chapter 4?
5. Mamet recommended the book A Practical Handbook for the Actor, written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
2. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
3. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
4. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
5. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
6. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
7. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
8. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
9. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
10. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of dialogue in film. What did Mamet suggest in directing scenes with dialogue? What should a director avoid in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)