|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The two essential elements of story, according to Aristotle, are surprise and what?
2. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
3. Which story of the farmer's did the class decide to go with in Chapter 5?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
5. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is "the scene"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
2. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
3. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
4. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
5. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
6. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
7. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
8. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
9. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
10. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities between film and dreams. What writers did Mamet cite in his discussion of this topic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)