|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
2. What, in Mamet's analogy in Chapter 6, are the marker buoys?
3. What is the subheading of Chapter 4?
4. Everything in the old cartoons was based on what, according to Mamet?
5. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
2. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
3. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
4. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
5. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
6. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
7. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
8. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
10. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the following terms and describe how they relate to one another: shot, beat, scene, film, protagonist, and objective.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mamet's metaphor for film and the Countercultural Architecture movement.
Essay Topic 3
What does the term superobjective mean in acting and directing? How is a superobjective different than an objective?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)