|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 5, why did Oedipus have to find out who his parents were?
2. What does David Mamet say that the answer to all of the tedious actor questions is?
3. What was the reason for the beginning of Oedipus Rex?
4. Mamet says that the perfect movie doesn't have any what?
5. What do actors erroneously try to use their intellectuality to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
2. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
3. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
4. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
5. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
6. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
7. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
8. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
9. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
10. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
Essay Topic 2
Using the hypothetical film which the students and Mamet created in Chapter 3, describe how the beats were broken down by the class.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the terms "modern art" and "performance art" in the text. How did Mamet feel about these genres? What is the role of politics in film?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)