|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example did Mamet use in Chapter 4 to demonstrate how you don't or do shoot a scene?
2. According to Mamet, most actors in film and stage today are what?
3. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
4. Mamet says the reason we like those old-time movie stars so much is that they are what?
5. Where did the farmer go in the town in the hypothetical film of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
2. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
3. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
4. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
5. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
6. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
7. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
8. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
9. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
10. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's point of view regarding identification of the audience with the hero of the story. How much description should surround this character, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's take on exposition and narration in storytelling and specifically in film.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)