|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipus is the model of all tragedy, according to whom?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the task is always the same. Stick with it until you _____.
3. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is "the scene"?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, we would like to learn a technique of directing and analyzing as concrete as that of a what?
5. What does Mamet say "are all you have" in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
2. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
3. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
4. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
5. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
6. What can the director not make up for in the editing room, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
7. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
8. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
9. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
10. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of dialogue in film. What did Mamet suggest in directing scenes with dialogue? What should a director avoid in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Define the following terms and describe how they relate to one another: shot, beat, scene, film, protagonist, and objective.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)