|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet says that if you are telling the story with pictures, the dialogue is the sprinkles on the what?
2. The only reason characters speak is what?
3. Everything in the old cartoons was based on what, according to Mamet?
4. What does David Mamet say that the answer to all of the tedious actor questions is?
5. Mamet compared the work of the film director to what, in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
2. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
3. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
4. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
5. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
6. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
7. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
8. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
9. What can the director not make up for in the editing room, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
10. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's approach to the director's interaction with the actors and the camera operators on the set. What did he suggest in these interactions, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
Essay Topic 3
Who was William of Occam, and what was Occam's Razor? How does this apply to film and dramatic analysis?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)