|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mamet say that dramatic analysis is like in Chapter 6?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, it isn't your job to make it what?
3. Mamet says in Chapter 4 that movies are made out of what?
4. What did Stanislavsky say is needed alone to support the text?
5. According to Mamet, who told us that it's good to have tools that are simple to understand and a very limited number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
2. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
3. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
4. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
5. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
6. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
7. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
8. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
9. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
10. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's point of view regarding identification of the audience with the hero of the story. How much description should surround this character, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What does the term superobjective mean in acting and directing? How is a superobjective different than an objective?
Essay Topic 3
What tasks does the director face in pre-production for a film? How does this prepare him/her for shooting?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)