|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet compared the work of the film director to what, in Chapter 6?
2. After how many takes does Mamet say you can no longer remember what the scene was about, in Chapter 4?
3. Who directed Casablanca?
4. After shooting which take do you not even remember why you were born?
5. Which chapter did Mamet recommend the students read in, A Practical Handbook for the Actor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
2. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
3. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
4. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
5. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
6. What did Mamet suggest to the new director regarding animated films, in Chapter 5?
7. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
8. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
9. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
10. What is the Cult of Self which Mamet refers to in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What authors did Mamet quote in the book with regard to cutting extraneous text in a screenplay? What theorists did he speak about in dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of dialogue in film. What did Mamet suggest in directing scenes with dialogue? What should a director avoid in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mamet believe that the steadicam was a contributor to the downfall of American cinema? What approach is common with the use of the steadicam?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)