|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The only reason characters speak is what?
2. What did the pig have around its neck in the hypothetical film from Chapter 5?
3. Where was Stanislavsky having dinner with a steamboat captain, according to Mamet in Chapter 6?
4. Mamet says that the greatest lesson in acting is to perform the physical motions of the script, how?
5. What did the farmer do in Mamet's version of the ending in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
2. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
3. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
4. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
5. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
6. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
7. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
8. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
9. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
10. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and define the K.I.S.S. rule. In what context did Mamet refer to this in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mamet believe that the steadicam was a contributor to the downfall of American cinema? What approach is common with the use of the steadicam?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)