|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rule of circularity says not to do what?
2. Mamet says of film directing and screenwriting that they are what?
3. Mamet says that the perfect movie doesn't have any what?
4. What does Mamet say that the people in Hollywood don't have, in Chapter 5?
5. Mamet says the reason we like those old-time movie stars so much is that they are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are modern film actors lacking in their education of storytelling, according to Mamet?
2. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
3. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
4. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
5. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
6. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
7. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
8. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
9. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
10. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's take on exposition and narration in storytelling and specifically in film.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
Essay Topic 3
Define the following terms and describe how they relate to one another: shot, beat, scene, film, protagonist, and objective.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)