|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using the example the class previously created, in Chapter 4, what is "the scene"?
2. Which story of the farmer's did the class decide to go with in Chapter 5?
3. After how many takes does Mamet say you can no longer remember what the scene was about, in Chapter 4?
4. The rule of circularity says not to do what?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, someone once asked whom if they had ever been lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
2. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
3. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
4. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
5. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
6. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
7. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
8. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
10. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 2
What tasks does the director face in pre-production for a film? How does this prepare him/her for shooting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's approach to the director's interaction with the actors and the camera operators on the set. What did he suggest in these interactions, and why?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)