|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everything in the old cartoons was based on what, according to Mamet?
2. What is Dumbo's problem, according to Mamet?
3. What does Mamet say is useless filler in film, and the giveaway to a joke's punch line, in Chapter 5?
4. Where did the farmer go in the town in the hypothetical film of Chapter 5?
5. What did Stanislavsky say is needed alone to support the text?
Short Essay Questions
1. What storytelling genres did Mamet suggest the director study in Chapter 5?
2. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
3. What has the hypothetical film evolved to in terms of danger in Chapter 5?
4. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
5. What did Mamet suggest directors should strive for in terms of film dialogue in movies, in Chapter 4?
6. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
7. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
8. What is the appropriate response to the actor who asks "how do I walk down the hall", in the example in Chapter 4?
9. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
10. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's approach to the director's interaction with the actors and the camera operators on the set. What did he suggest in these interactions, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eisenstein's theory of montage. How did Mamet view this approach to storytelling in film?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the terms "modern art" and "performance art" in the text. How did Mamet feel about these genres? What is the role of politics in film?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)