|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 6, the Stoics would advise adhering to the metaphor which relates to what?
2. What was the impetus for the beginning of Citizen Kane?
3. What did Stanislavsky say is needed alone to support the text?
4. What does Mamet say that dramatic analysis is like in Chapter 6?
5. What was the man doing on the side of the road whom the farmer met in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor did Mamet use to illustrate the work in pre-production, in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mamet say regarding subconscious response in Chapter 4?
3. What did Mamet write about the Navaho Indians in Chapter 6?
4. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
5. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
6. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
7. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
8. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
9. What was Mamet's reply to the question, "Is it possible to do everything "right" and still make a bad movie?"
10. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tasks does the director face in pre-production for a film? How does this prepare him/her for shooting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's take on exposition and narration in storytelling and specifically in film.
Essay Topic 3
Define the following terms and describe how they relate to one another: shot, beat, scene, film, protagonist, and objective.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)