|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet says in Chapter 6 that to "Understand your specific task, work until it's done, and then stop" is the same as what?
2. In Chapter 5, the hypothetical film Mamet worked on with the students involved a farmer selling what?
3. Which story of the farmer's did the class decide to go with in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mamet say that the people in Hollywood don't have, in Chapter 5?
5. According to Mamet, what actor did he laud for his simplicity in a scene which involved the Nazis, in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions did the students give for the motivation of the protagonist in Chapter 5's scenario?
2. What analogy did Mamet give that involves Stanislavsky, in Chapter 6?
3. What did Mamet write in Chapter 4 of the director's instructions to the actor?
4. What was Mamet's response to "performance art" questions which arise in shooting?
5. What is the hierarchy of film? Why did Mamet suggest the actor cannot be a fallback for the film in Chapter 6?
6. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
7. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
8. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
9. Who did the farmer meet in the hypothetical film in Chapter 5? How did this interaction play out?
10. What does Mamet say to give yourself over to in directing, in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss human psychology as it relates to the juxtaposition of uninflected images in film. How did Mamet describe neurosis in this analogy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of dialogue in film. What did Mamet suggest in directing scenes with dialogue? What should a director avoid in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mamet's metaphor for film and the Countercultural Architecture movement.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)