|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All the audience cares about is the what, according to Mamet?
2. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
3. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
4. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
5. What does Mamet say happens when the problem posited by the scene is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
2. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
3. How did Mamet describe human nature in piecing together stories from film?
4. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
5. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
6. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
7. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
8. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
9. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
10. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's approach to the director's interaction with the actors and the camera operators on the set. What did he suggest in these interactions, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss human psychology as it relates to the juxtaposition of uninflected images in film. How did Mamet describe neurosis in this analogy?
Essay Topic 3
What authors did Mamet quote in the book with regard to cutting extraneous text in a screenplay? What theorists did he speak about in dramatic analysis?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)