|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
2. What was the third beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
3. What does Mamet say happens when the problem posited by the scene is over?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
5. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scenario did Mamet present for the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
2. How does the hypothetical film end in Chapter 5?
3. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
4. How did Mamet relate the "School of Countercultural Architecture" to film directing?
5. In the hypothetical film from Chapters 3 and 4, what would Mamet suggest as direction to the protagonist?
6. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
7. What example did Mamet give of Humphrey Bogart's simplicity, in Chapter 4?
8. How did Mamet describe dealing with dialogue in Chapter 4?
9. What animated film did Mamet laud as perfect in Chapter 5?
10. How did Mamet relate film direction and screenwriting in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss human psychology as it relates to the juxtaposition of uninflected images in film. How did Mamet describe neurosis in this analogy?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the terms "modern art" and "performance art" in the text. How did Mamet feel about these genres? What is the role of politics in film?
Essay Topic 3
What authors did Mamet quote in the book with regard to cutting extraneous text in a screenplay? What theorists did he speak about in dramatic analysis?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)