|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
2. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
3. According to Mamet, most movie scripts are written for an audience of what?
4. Mamet says you should always do things in what way, in order to make the best movie?
5. A film is basically what, according to Mamet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
2. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
3. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
4. Describe how film is like a design.
5. How did Mamet relate the "School of Countercultural Architecture" to film directing?
6. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
7. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
8. What did Mamet write of producers in Chapter 2?
9. What is the backdrop of On Directing Film? From what setting did the author base the text?
10. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was William of Occam, and what was Occam's Razor? How does this apply to film and dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities between film and dreams. What writers did Mamet cite in his discussion of this topic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)