|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Alice it didn't matter which road she took, as cited by Mamet in Chapter 2?
2. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
3. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
4. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
5. The first beat in the hypothetical scene of Chapter 2 was to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What writers and filmmakers did Mamet refer to in the Preface and Chapter 1 regarding screenwriting and film direction?
2. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
3. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
4. Describe how film is like a design.
5. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
6. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
7. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
8. What is the backdrop of On Directing Film? From what setting did the author base the text?
9. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
10. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's approach to the director's interaction with the actors and the camera operators on the set. What did he suggest in these interactions, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mamet's metaphor for film and the Countercultural Architecture movement.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)