Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
2. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
4. According to Mamet, storytellers need to be warned against falling into what?
5. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
2. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
3. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
4. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
5. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
6. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
7. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
8. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
10. Describe how film is like a design.
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
Describe and define the K.I.S.S. rule. In what context did Mamet refer to this in the text?
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)