|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, he lived in a house that was how many years old at the time this book was written?
2. What unit does the director want to concern himself with?
3. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
4. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
5. According to Mamet, film schools are basically what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
2. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
3. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
4. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
5. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
6. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
7. Describe how film is like a design.
8. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
9. How did Mamet describe human nature in piecing together stories from film?
10. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mamet believe that the steadicam was a contributor to the downfall of American cinema? What approach is common with the use of the steadicam?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 3
Using the hypothetical film which the students and Mamet created in Chapter 3, describe how the beats were broken down by the class.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)