|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the scenario in Chapter 2, how early did the protagonist arrive to the class?
2. Who told Alice it didn't matter which road she took, as cited by Mamet in Chapter 2?
3. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
4. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
2. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
3. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
4. What did Mamet write of producers in Chapter 2?
5. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
6. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
7. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
8. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
9. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
10. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and define the K.I.S.S. rule. In what context did Mamet refer to this in the text?
Essay Topic 2
What authors did Mamet quote in the book with regard to cutting extraneous text in a screenplay? What theorists did he speak about in dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities between film and dreams. What writers did Mamet cite in his discussion of this topic?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)