|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Mamet write the Preface of the book?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
3. Mamet's house was built without what?
4. Mamet says that you cannot hide your what, in Chapter 3?
5. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
2. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
3. Describe Mamet's discussion of understanding precipitation in architecture in Chapter 3.
4. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
5. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
6. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
7. How did Mamet explain the principle concern in choosing shots in Chapter 2?
8. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
9. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
10. How did Mamet describe human nature in piecing together stories from film?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
Essay Topic 3
What does the term superobjective mean in acting and directing? How is a superobjective different than an objective?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)