|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What logical construct did Mamet use to explain the system of film-making in Chapter 3?
2. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
3. What does Mamet say is a bad idea for the third beat in Chapter 2?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the only thing the dramatic form is good for is what?
5. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how film is like a design.
2. How did Mamet relate the "School of Countercultural Architecture" to film directing?
3. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
4. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
5. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
6. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
7. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
8. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
9. What is the backdrop of On Directing Film? From what setting did the author base the text?
10. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of dialogue in film. What did Mamet suggest in directing scenes with dialogue? What should a director avoid in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the films of Frank Capra and Werner Herzog. How do these directors differ in their approach and storytelling? With whom do Mamet's theories most relate?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)