Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
2. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
4. According to Mamet, storytellers need to be warned against falling into what?
5. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
2. What decision did Mamet suggest is in the hands of the director, in Chapter 6?
3. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
4. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
5. How does Aristotle's theory of tragedy relate to the hypothetical film in Chapter 5?
6. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
7. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
8. What did Mamet caution against with having multiple motivations for the farmer in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mamet say regarding the training of film actors in today's world?
10. Describe how film is like a design.
Essay Topic 1
Who was William of Occam, and what was Occam's Razor? How does this apply to film and dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's take on exposition and narration in storytelling and specifically in film.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mamet believe that the steadicam was a contributor to the downfall of American cinema? What approach is common with the use of the steadicam?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)