|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The movie, more than what, is closer to simple storytelling?
2. Mamet's house was built without what?
3. Mamet says the audience requires not information, but what?
4. Who wrote The Uses of Enchantment?
5. According to Mamet, most movie scripts are written for an audience of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
2. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
3. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
4. What did Mamet write in Chapter 3 regarding film with political agendas?
5. How did Mamet relate the "School of Countercultural Architecture" to film directing?
6. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
7. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
8. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
9. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
10. Describe how film is like a design.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mamet believe that the steadicam was a contributor to the downfall of American cinema? What approach is common with the use of the steadicam?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of dialogue in film. What did Mamet suggest in directing scenes with dialogue? What should a director avoid in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss human psychology as it relates to the juxtaposition of uninflected images in film. How did Mamet describe neurosis in this analogy?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)