|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Mamet says that it's impossible to make a character what?
2. Who characterized the notion of "judge of yourself"?
3. All the audience cares about is the what, according to Mamet?
4. In the scene generated for the class in Chapter 2, what did the protagonist want?
5. What is the period after you've finished the shot list and before you go into shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mamet relate the "School of Countercultural Architecture" to film directing?
2. Describe the "School of Countercultural Architecture."
3. What was Mamet's rule of thumb for cutting extraneous material from a film?
4. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
5. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
6. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
7. How did Mamet describe human nature in piecing together stories from film?
8. How was the hypothetical film shot in Chapter 2?
9. What are ways that directors attempt to keep the audience's attention when the design of a film fails?
10. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was William of Occam, and what was Occam's Razor? How does this apply to film and dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss human psychology as it relates to the juxtaposition of uninflected images in film. How did Mamet describe neurosis in this analogy?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)