|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
2. In what area did Mamet have greater experience in when writing the book?
3. According to Mamet, storytellers need to be warned against falling into what?
4. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
5. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
2. Describe the objective and beats in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2.
3. What did Mamet write regarding dreams and film in Chapter 1?
4. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
5. What is the backdrop of On Directing Film? From what setting did the author base the text?
6. What is a "MacGuffin", and who coined this phrase?
7. How did the class progress in the details of their hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
8. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
9. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
10. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eisenstein's theory of montage. How did Mamet view this approach to storytelling in film?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's take on exposition and narration in storytelling and specifically in film.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)