|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unit does the director want to concern himself with?
2. Counterculture architecture was based on designing buildings based on what?
3. What is another term for "looping"?
4. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mamet illustrate juxtaposition of shots in documentary film in Chapter 1?
2. What does Mamet say regarding the juxtaposition of uninflected images in Chapter 3?
3. What did Mamet write in Chapter 1 regarding character description and narration?
4. What did Mamet write in Chapter 3 regarding film with political agendas?
5. How did Mamet describe film in terms of syllogism in Chapter 3?
6. What did Mamet cite from the book, "The Uses of Enchantment" in Chapter 2?
7. How did Mamet explain the principle concern in choosing shots in Chapter 2?
8. What did Mamet indicate is the point of view of the performance artist, in Chapter 3?
9. How did Mamet describe human nature in piecing together stories from film?
10. What scenario did Mamet put forth to the class in Chapter 2? How did Mamet relate the suggested opening shot of this scenario to television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and define the K.I.S.S. rule. In what context did Mamet refer to this in the text?
Essay Topic 2
What authors did Mamet quote in the book with regard to cutting extraneous text in a screenplay? What theorists did he speak about in dramatic analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Define the following terms and describe how they relate to one another: shot, beat, scene, film, protagonist, and objective.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)