|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term which means "it works correctly on paper but for some reason doesn't work when we get it on its feet"?
2. What kind of camera has helped in injuring the cinema, according to Mamet?
3. Who directed the film Places in the Heart?
4. According to Mamet, you can't rely on the ________ to tell the story. Which of these is the correct answer?
5. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet say in terms of withholding information from the audience, in Chapter 2?
2. What are the different approaches Mamet discussed as methods of storytelling in film, in Chapter 1?
3. What did Mamet write in the Preface regarding the blind author who decided to become a screenwriter?
4. What did Mamet write of producers in Chapter 2?
5. What did Mamet write about drama school and film school in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the "School of Countercultural Architecture."
7. Describe how film is like a design.
8. How did Mamet describe Eisenstein's theory of montage?
9. What did Mamet think of the steadicam?
10. How did Mamet relate the "School of Countercultural Architecture" to film directing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the career of author David Mamet and how he came to the world of film. What was the principle area of his expertise at the time he wrote On Directing Film?
Essay Topic 2
What tasks does the director face in pre-production for a film? How does this prepare him/her for shooting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's opinion of actor training in the United States today. What level of training do film actors have versus stage actors?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)