|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
(a) A tragic ending.
(d) A happy ending.
2. What is the term which means "it works correctly on paper but for some reason doesn't work when we get it on its feet"?
(a) The Hippo Factor.
(b) The K.I.S.S. Rule.
(c) The Jesus Factor.
(d) The Rule of Circularity.
3. Mamet says in Chapter 3 that it is the nature of human perception to go to what?
(a) The most interesting thing.
(b) The MacGuffin.
(c) The back-story.
(d) The protagonist.
4. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
(a) Create roadblocks.
(b) Work with you.
(c) Create impediments.
(d) Fight back against you.
5. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
6. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, he challenges the way people talk about any performance artist and the way they talk about whom?
(a) James Stewart.
(b) Humphrey Bogart.
(c) Donna Reed.
(d) Carey Grant.
7. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that it is the __________ that makes the movie. What was he talking about?
8. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
9. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
10. Mamet's house was built without what?
11. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(a) Frank Capra.
(d) Alfred Hitchcock.
12. In what area did Mamet have greater experience in when writing the book?
(c) Film criticism.
(d) Stage directing.
13. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
(a) The ending.
(b) The beat.
(c) The film.
(d) The scene.
14. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
(b) Deep personal meaning.
15. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
(a) The next essential step.
(b) The MacGuffin.
(c) The essential truth.
(d) The action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hitchcock's phrase for the thing which the protagonist is chasing?
2. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
3. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
4. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
5. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)