|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
2. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
3. Mamet says in Chapter 3 that it is the nature of human perception to go to what?
(a) The protagonist.
(b) The most interesting thing.
(c) The MacGuffin.
(d) The back-story.
4. Where did Mamet go to college?
(d) New York.
5. What was Hitchcock's phrase for the thing which the protagonist is chasing?
6. What was the third beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
7. According to Mamet, you can't rely on the ________ to tell the story. Which of these is the correct answer?
8. In what year did Mamet write the Preface of the book?
9. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, if you want to build a roof, it might be a good idea to understand about the effects of what?
(b) Support beams.
10. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(d) Frank Capra.
11. What does Mamet say is the ordering of unrelated events or ideas or images in favor of an overriding preconception?
12. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
13. Who told Alice it didn't matter which road she took, as cited by Mamet in Chapter 2?
(a) The Cheshire Cat.
(b) The Caterpillar.
(c) The Rabbit.
(d) The Mad Hatter.
14. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Constantin Stanislavsky.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim.
15. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
2. Who said that the point is what happens to he hero, not what happens to the writer?
3. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
4. What does Mamet say is a bad idea for the third beat in Chapter 2?
5. The first beat in the hypothetical scene of Chapter 2 was to what?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)