|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
2. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
(b) Play directors.
(d) Documentary film-makers.
3. In what year did Mamet write the Preface of the book?
4. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
5. What is the main shot of any given scene?
(a) The master.
(b) The focus.
(c) The principle.
(d) The main.
6. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
(a) From above.
(b) As a closeup.
(c) From below.
(d) At head level.
7. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
(a) The door.
(b) The window.
(d) The steps.
8. Who did Mamet compare with Frank Capra in Chapter 3?
(a) Brad Commers.
(b) Werner Herzog.
(c) Alfred Hitchcock.
(d) David Lynch.
9. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
10. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
11. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
12. Who said that the point is what happens to he hero, not what happens to the writer?
13. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
(b) Create characters.
(c) Flesh out stories.
14. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "In addition to what you will or not learn about the medium through your desire to understand it, that desire itself will be ______."
15. Who wrote The Uses of Enchantment?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Werner Herzog.
(c) Bruno Eisenstein.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet wrote, "Most _____ directors approach it by saying, 'let's follow the actors around,' as if the film were a record of what the protagonist did."
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
3. All the audience cares about is the what, according to Mamet?
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, if you want to build a roof, it might be a good idea to understand about the effects of what?
5. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)