|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The second beat of the hypothetical scene in Chapter 2 was to what?
(a) To gain respect.
(b) To arrive early.
(c) To pay homage.
(d) To prepare.
2. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
(a) "Get a life."
(b) "Learn a craft."
(c) "Oh, grow up."
(d) "Let's get it over with."
3. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(b) Frank Capra.
4. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
(b) Deep personal meaning.
5. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
6. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
(a) The ending.
(b) The film.
(c) The beat.
(d) The scene.
7. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
8. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
9. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
10. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
11. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
12. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
(a) KISS rule.
(b) Film rule.
(c) Idiot rule.
(d) Shooting rule.
13. The movie, more than what, is closer to simple storytelling?
(a) A memoir.
(b) A television show.
(c) A novel.
(d) A play.
14. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
(d) Political reasons.
15. According to Mamet, you can't rely on the ________ to tell the story. Which of these is the correct answer?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
2. In the scenario in Chapter 2, how early did the protagonist arrive to the class?
3. A film is basically what, according to Mamet?
4. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that it is the __________ that makes the movie. What was he talking about?
5. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)