|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
2. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
4. According to Mamet, storytellers need to be warned against falling into what?
5. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
(a) Play directors.
(d) Documentary film-makers.
6. The second beat of the hypothetical scene in Chapter 2 was to what?
(a) To arrive early.
(b) To prepare.
(c) To pay homage.
(d) To gain respect.
7. According to Mamet, film schools are basically what?
8. Mamet's house was built without what?
9. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
10. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
(a) Shooting rule.
(b) Idiot rule.
(c) Film rule.
(d) KISS rule.
11. The movie, more than what, is closer to simple storytelling?
(a) A television show.
(b) A play.
(c) A memoir.
(d) A novel.
12. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
13. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "In addition to what you will or not learn about the medium through your desire to understand it, that desire itself will be ______."
14. What was Hitchcock's phrase for the thing which the protagonist is chasing?
15. What is another term for "looping"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, he challenges the way people talk about any performance artist and the way they talk about whom?
2. The purpose of technique is to free the what?
3. Mamet says the audience requires not information, but what?
4. What kind of camera has helped in injuring the cinema, according to Mamet?
5. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)