|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another term for "looping"?
2. What is a progression toward the simplest, most ordered state, according to Mamet in Chapter 2?
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
4. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
(d) Political reasons.
5. Where did Mamet go to college?
(c) New York.
6. Mamet says you should always do things in what way, in order to make the best movie?
(a) The most interesting way.
(b) The most frugal way.
(c) The least interesting way.
(d) The most artistic way.
7. Mamet says that you cannot hide your what, in Chapter 3?
8. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
(c) Deep personal meaning.
9. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
(a) Create characters.
(d) Flesh out stories.
10. What craft did Mamet say he does sometimes in Chapter 3?
(b) Carves wood.
(d) Writes poetry.
11. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
12. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
13. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
(a) The MacGuffin.
(b) The next essential step.
(c) The essential truth.
(d) The action.
14. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
(b) Documentary film-makers.
(c) Play directors.
15. A film is basically what, according to Mamet?
(a) A play.
(b) A map.
(c) An art form.
(d) A design.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
2. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
3. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
4. Who characterized the notion of "judge of yourself"?
5. What does Mamet say is a bad idea for the third beat in Chapter 2?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)