|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet, most movie scripts are written for an audience of what?
(c) Studio executives.
2. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
(a) The scene.
(b) The beat.
(c) The film.
(d) The ending.
3. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
4. Mamet says the audience requires not information, but what?
5. Where was Mamet teaching in the fall of 1987?
(c) Rutgers University.
6. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
7. What does Mamet say is a bad idea for the third beat in Chapter 2?
(a) Arriving early.
(d) Gaining respect.
8. In ADR, what does D stand for?
9. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
10. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
11. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
12. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
(a) Extols empathy.
(b) Shows emotion.
(c) Tells the truth.
(d) Narrates the back-story.
13. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "In addition to what you will or not learn about the medium through your desire to understand it, that desire itself will be ______."
14. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
15. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
(a) As a closeup.
(b) From below.
(c) From above.
(d) At head level.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that the point is what happens to he hero, not what happens to the writer?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, if you want to build a roof, it might be a good idea to understand about the effects of what?
3. What logical construct did Mamet use to explain the system of film-making in Chapter 3?
4. Where did Mamet go to college?
5. The second beat of the hypothetical scene in Chapter 2 was to what?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)