|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
2. According to Mamet, you can't rely on the ________ to tell the story. Which of these is the correct answer?
3. In the scene generated for the class in Chapter 2, what did the protagonist want?
(a) The teacher's respect.
(b) To sell a pig.
(c) The students' respect.
4. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Constantin Stanislavsky.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim.
5. Mamet says the audience requires not information, but what?
6. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
(b) The window.
(c) The steps.
(d) The door.
7. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
8. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(b) Frank Capra.
9. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
10. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
11. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
12. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
13. Counterculture architecture was based on designing buildings based on what?
(a) How the architect felt.
(b) The natural surroundings.
(c) The setting.
(d) The weather.
14. What does Mamet say is the ordering of unrelated events or ideas or images in favor of an overriding preconception?
15. What logical construct did Mamet use to explain the system of film-making in Chapter 3?
(a) A plus B is C.
(b) If A, then B.
(c) If A, then C.
(d) N plus R is P.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Mamet says that it's impossible to make a character what?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "In addition to what you will or not learn about the medium through your desire to understand it, that desire itself will be ______."
3. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
4. What is the period after you've finished the shot list and before you go into shooting?
5. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)