|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
(a) Create characters.
(b) Flesh out stories.
2. What is the term for the screening of the day's shots?
3. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(c) Frank Capra.
(d) Alfred Hitchcock.
4. According to Mamet, storytellers need to be warned against falling into what?
5. What craft did Mamet say he does sometimes in Chapter 3?
(b) Carves wood.
(c) Writes poetry.
6. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
(d) Political reasons.
7. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
(b) A happy ending.
(c) A tragic ending.
8. What is the period after you've finished the shot list and before you go into shooting?
(c) Designer Meetings.
9. What is another term for "looping"?
10. In what area did Mamet have greater experience in when writing the book?
(c) Film criticism.
(d) Stage directing.
11. Mamet's house was built without what?
12. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
13. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
14. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
15. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
(a) Fight back against you.
(b) Create impediments.
(c) Create roadblocks.
(d) Work with you.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
2. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
3. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
4. Mamet wrote, "Most _____ directors approach it by saying, 'let's follow the actors around,' as if the film were a record of what the protagonist did."
5. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)