|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
2. In what area did Mamet have greater experience in when writing the book?
(a) Film criticism.
(d) Stage directing.
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
4. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
5. According to Mamet, most movie scripts are written for an audience of what?
(a) Studio executives.
6. All the audience cares about is the what, according to Mamet?
(d) Thrust of the scene.
7. What is the term which means "it works correctly on paper but for some reason doesn't work when we get it on its feet"?
(a) The Hippo Factor.
(b) The Rule of Circularity.
(c) The Jesus Factor.
(d) The K.I.S.S. Rule.
8. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
9. According to Mamet, the director is seen as what kind of extension of the screenwriter?
10. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
(a) Create characters.
(d) Flesh out stories.
11. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
12. Chair makers, until the turn of the century, made their chairs without what?
13. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
14. In the scene generated for the class in Chapter 2, what did the protagonist want?
(b) The students' respect.
(c) The teacher's respect.
(d) To sell a pig.
15. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
Short Answer Questions
1. The second beat of the hypothetical scene in Chapter 2 was to what?
2. Who did Mamet cite in saying that we needn't avoid things just because they're cliche?
3. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
4. What does Mamet say is the ordering of unrelated events or ideas or images in favor of an overriding preconception?
5. Who wrote Memories, Dream, Reflections?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)