|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mamet, when the film is correctly ____, the subconscious and the conscious are in alignment.
2. Who characterized the notion of "judge of yourself"?
3. According to Mamet, film schools are basically what?
4. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
5. What is another term for "looping"?
6. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
(a) Shows emotion.
(b) Tells the truth.
(c) Narrates the back-story.
(d) Extols empathy.
7. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
8. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the only thing the dramatic form is good for is what?
(a) Character creation.
(b) Artistic expression.
(c) Political gain.
(d) Telling a story.
9. What is the term for the screening of the day's shots?
10. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
11. The newspaper reviewer criticized an author for attempting screenwriting because he was nearly what?
12. What are after-the-fact attempts to shore up that which was not correctly designed in a film?
13. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
(c) Political reasons.
14. In what area did Mamet have greater experience in when writing the book?
(b) Film criticism.
(c) Stage directing.
15. Mamet's house was built without what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet wrote, "Most _____ directors approach it by saying, 'let's follow the actors around,' as if the film were a record of what the protagonist did."
2. Where did Mamet go to college?
3. The movie, more than what, is closer to simple storytelling?
4. Who said that the point is what happens to he hero, not what happens to the writer?
5. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)