|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
(a) Narrates the back-story.
(b) Shows emotion.
(c) Tells the truth.
(d) Extols empathy.
2. Where was Mamet teaching in the fall of 1987?
(c) Rutgers University.
3. According to Mamet, the storyteller did NOT need something in Chapter 2. What was it?
4. According to Mamet, the director is seen as what kind of extension of the screenwriter?
5. Who said that the point is what happens to he hero, not what happens to the writer?
6. Mamet says you should always do things in what way, in order to make the best movie?
(a) The least interesting way.
(b) The most interesting way.
(c) The most frugal way.
(d) The most artistic way.
7. Who wrote The Uses of Enchantment?
(a) Bruno Bettelheim.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Werner Herzog.
(d) Bruno Eisenstein.
8. What does Mamet say happens when the problem posited by the scene is over?
(a) The scene is over.
(b) The next scene begins.
(c) The objective is attained.
(d) The film is over.
9. According to Mamet, you always want to tell a story in what?
10. What is another term for "looping"?
11. According to Mamet, film directors should all aspire to be what?
(a) Play directors.
(d) Documentary film-makers.
12. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
(c) Deep personal meaning.
13. Where did Mamet go to college?
(a) New York.
14. In what area did Mamet have greater experience in when writing the book?
(a) Film criticism.
(c) Stage directing.
15. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
2. What term means a filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style?
3. What is the term which refers to the protagonist's immediate goal?
4. In Chapter 2, Mamet says that it's impossible to make a character what?
5. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)