|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The purpose of technique is to free the what?
(c) Conscious mind.
(d) Dream life.
2. What logical construct did Mamet use to explain the system of film-making in Chapter 3?
(a) A plus B is C.
(b) If A, then C.
(c) N plus R is P.
(d) If A, then B.
3. The smallest unit is the shot; the largest unit is what?
(a) The film.
(b) The ending.
(c) The scene.
(d) The beat.
4. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "In addition to what you will or not learn about the medium through your desire to understand it, that desire itself will be ______."
5. What is another term for "looping"?
6. Who wrote The Profession of the Stage?
(a) Andreas Tovstonogov.
(b) Constantin Stanislavski.
(c) Georgi Tovstonogov.
(d) Michael Chekhov.
7. According to Mamet, what was his response to "lovely enthusiasts who will aver that the purpose of modern art is not to be liked"?
(a) "Get a life."
(b) "Oh, grow up."
(c) "Learn a craft."
(d) "Let's get it over with."
8. According to Mamet, he lived in a house that was how many years old at the time this book was written?
9. What is the rule which Mamet says means "Keep it simple, stupid"?
(a) Film rule.
(b) KISS rule.
(c) Idiot rule.
(d) Shooting rule.
10. Who did Mamet compare with Frank Capra in Chapter 3?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(b) Werner Herzog.
(c) Brad Commers.
(d) David Lynch.
11. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
(a) The next essential step.
(b) The MacGuffin.
(c) The action.
(d) The essential truth.
12. What is the first way suggested by students in the class for shooting a scene of a bunch of people coming to class?
(a) At head level.
(b) From below.
(c) From above.
(d) As a closeup.
13. Eisenstein claimed that the best image is a what image?
14. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
(b) The door.
(c) The steps.
(d) The window.
15. Where did Mamet go to college?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mamet say is a bad idea for the third beat in Chapter 2?
2. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
3. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
4. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
5. Mamet says in Chapter 1 that if the film follows the protagonist around, what he does had better be what?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)