|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unit does the director want to concern himself with?
(a) The film.
(b) The scene.
(c) The shot.
(d) The beat.
2. Anytime anyone does what, "that's a counterforce"?
(a) Extols empathy.
(b) Tells the truth.
(c) Shows emotion.
(d) Narrates the back-story.
3. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "You tax the audience every time you don't move on to _______ of the progression as quickly as possible."
(a) The MacGuffin.
(b) The next essential step.
(c) The action.
(d) The essential truth.
4. What does Mamet say most modern art is based around?
(d) Political reasons.
5. What is the term Mamet used for the protagonist's ultimate goal in the scene in Chapter 2?
6. Mamet's house was built without what?
7. Who told Alice it didn't matter which road she took, as cited by Mamet in Chapter 2?
(a) The Rabbit.
(b) The Mad Hatter.
(c) The Cheshire Cat.
(d) The Caterpillar.
8. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
9. Screenwriting is a craft based on what?
10. What was the third beat about in the hypothetical film in Chapter 2?
11. A good writer only gets better by learning to do what, according to Mamet?
(a) Flesh out stories.
(b) Create characters.
12. Who said, "Write the story, take out all the good lines, and see if it still works"?
13. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the film business is caught in a spiral of degeneracy because it is run by people who have no what?
14. Who characterized the notion of "judge of yourself"?
15. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet says that the house has to look like a house. The ______ doesn't have to look like a house.
2. Whose method relies on a succession of images juxtaposed so that the contrast moves the story forward?
3. Mamet cited Aristotle in saying there is no such thing as what?
4. What is a progression toward the simplest, most ordered state, according to Mamet in Chapter 2?
5. What was Hitchcock's phrase for the thing which the protagonist is chasing?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)