|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sometimes, Mamet says in Chapter 3, the piece (film) will do what?
(a) Fight back against you.
(b) Work with you.
(c) Create roadblocks.
(d) Create impediments.
2. Counterculture architecture was based on designing buildings based on what?
(a) The natural surroundings.
(b) The setting.
(c) The weather.
(d) How the architect felt.
3. A film is basically what, according to Mamet?
(a) An art form.
(b) A map.
(c) A play.
(d) A design.
4. Who said of American films that they were all "pictures of people talking"?
(b) Alfred Hitchcock.
(d) Frank Capra.
5. What is the period after you've finished the shot list and before you go into shooting?
(c) Designer Meetings.
6. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, the only thing the dramatic form is good for is what?
(a) Political gain.
(b) Character creation.
(c) Telling a story.
(d) Artistic expression.
7. Chapter 1 deals with what element of the process of directing?
8. In what year did Mamet write the Preface of the book?
9. What is another term for "looping"?
10. According to Mamet, he lived in a house that was how many years old at the time this book was written?
11. Who wrote The Profession of the Stage?
(a) Andreas Tovstonogov.
(b) Constantin Stanislavski.
(c) Michael Chekhov.
(d) Georgi Tovstonogov.
12. What was Hitchcock's phrase for the thing which the protagonist is chasing?
13. How many films had David Mamet directed at the time that the book was written?
14. Mamet's house was built without what?
15. According to Mamet, storytellers need to be warned against falling into what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The purpose of technique is to free the what?
2. Who directed the film Places in the Heart?
3. Mamet says the audience requires not information, but what?
4. According to Mamet, it is essential to cut that which has what to us?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 3, "To get into the scene late and to get out early is to demonstrate _____ for your audience."
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)